Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there any way, in the US, to watch Doctor Who streaming besides buying the episodes off Amazon? I haven't been able to watch anything after Capaldi's run because I haven't seen the episodes available anywhere. Maybe there were available on the BBC America app when they first aired, but now I think they're nowhere to be seen. I also think two seasons have happened since I last watched? I have a lot to catch up on!

On my cable provider (Spectrum), it shows up on AMC Premiere.

In other news, Big Finish to release their first Doctor Who story to be made entirely on lockdown, "Shadow of the Sun", starring Tom, Louise, and John Leeson:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish-s-first-lockdown-created-doctor-who-story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

In other news, Big Finish to release their first Doctor Who story to be made entirely on lockdown, "Shadow of the Sun", starring Tom, Louise, and John Leeson:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish-s-first-lockdown-created-doctor-who-story

Lol, unfinished copy.

quote:

Director Nicholas Briggs said: “In Shadow of the Sun, we have a great, well-made script by . A lovely slice of science fantasy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Apparently they're re-re-animating Power of the Daleks

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Lol, unfinished copy.

"Our newest production stars the legendary [ACTOR'S NAME]. Accompanying him on this amazing adventure are the dazzlingly charming [ACTOR'S NAME] and the wonderfully witty [ACTOR'S NAME]. In this story, [CHARACTERS] go to [PLANET] and discover that [ALIEN RACE] are trying to steal [PLOT DEVICE]. But are they really the ones behind the plan to steal [MACGUFFIN]...or does the sinister [RECURRING VILLAIN] have something to do with it? Look for our [HYPERBOLIC PHRASE] yet when it's released on [RELEASE DATE]!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

I mean I wanted to rewatch it so sure

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Vinylshadow posted:

This is annoying but nice. I bought the original release, unfortunately it had a couple of animation errors with character costumes. The pipeline for completing this and releasing it was a mess. It aired it on BBC America a few weeks after release, and that version was different still from the home media release, with some of the problems corrected.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Teek posted:

This is annoying but nice. I bought the original release, unfortunately it had a couple of animation errors with character costumes. The pipeline for completing this and releasing it was a mess. It aired it on BBC America a few weeks after release, and that version was different still from the home media release, with some of the problems corrected.

If it were 4k I'd be a bit more understanding.

I've been meaning to rewatch this one. I have the DVD, but the last time is saw it was for the Fathom theatrical release. Maybe now I'll just wait for the rerelease and start watching all those Who Blu-rays I recently snagged for cheap ($20 for S7 of Four and $35 for S3 of Seven) instead.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm still confused how Rassilon fits into the silly 'the Doctor invented regeneration' thing, considering Rassilon's whole thing was to be an amoral manipulator at the dawn of Time Lord society, cover up his crimes with myth and legend, so that the Time Lords keep bringing him back. Dunno if I'm misremembering it, but wasn't it implied that he stole the secrets of regeneration from the great vampires, then genocided them to cover it up?

So the Doctor was around at the same time as Omega, Rassilon and the Other (though the Other was VERY loosely canon to begin with)? Doctor Who canon is a fun mess, but this was a mess mess.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 29, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

I'm still confused how Rassilon fits into the silly 'the Doctor invented regeneration' thing, considering Rassilon's whole thing was to be an amoral manipulator at the dawn of Time Lord society, cover up his crimes with myth and legend, so that the Time Lords keep bringing him back. Dunno if I'm misremembering it, but wasn't it implied that he stole the secrets of regeneration from the great vampires, then genocided them to cover it up?

So the Doctor was around at the same time as Omega, Rassilon and the Other (though the Other was VERY loosely canon to begin with)?

Also the Sisters of Karn or some such who Rassilon also hosed over.

And you'd think Omega would recognize the Doctor

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Now I want to see Omega come back for the 60th anniversary in an even sillier costume.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Maybe The Timeless Child is The Other.

:aaaaa:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The woman who experimented on the Timeless Child was Rassilon :eng101:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MaxCCurtis/status/1255837895979667462?s=20

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

You know, as much as I disliked Moffat's era, I have to admit the man can make me chuckle at times. :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

For all his ego, he’s very self-aware and self-deprecating.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If you've got any Doctor Who cosplays or what your Doctor outfit would be, you can share 'em via Twitter with #StayingInTheTARDIS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Big Lebowski already stole my Doctor costume idea :smith:

This is wonderful :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

If you've got any Doctor Who cosplays or what your Doctor outfit would be, you can share 'em via Twitter with #StayingInTheTARDIS

https://twitter.com/tompratchett/status/1255964836279746564

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

His scene in The Five-ish Doctors with the action figures... :allears:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I'll say it again: I really liked that he wanted to have all the Doctor's regenerations filmed, so he brought Paul McGann back as Eight in a webisode just for that purpose, AND he made all the Eighth Doctor's Big Finish companions series canon ones to boot (and he always encourages the people who appear on the revived series to go work for Big Finish, as well). That's the mark of a true fan. :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Love the RTD story too about when he first got the chance to renew Doctor Who and was going through the licensing stuff with the BBC, and one of them said,"Huh? What's Big Finish?" and RTD just quickly took the paperwork aside and said,"Oh let me handle that" because he knew there was a chance they'd pull the license so it didn't compete with the revival if they remembered it existed. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

AND he made all the Eighth Doctor's Big Finish companions series canon ones to boot

In the novelisation of Day of the Doctor, he makes book companion Fitz canon as well!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I really do think that if they'd have had the equivalent of a Robert Holmes working as script editor (or conversely, the equivalent of a Philip Hinchcliffe handling production duties), both RTD's and Moffat's runs on the show would have been absolutely stellar. They just needed someone of equal standing to rein in their dumber impulses and weed out the sillier ideas.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Always loved the story of RTD and Julie Gardner coming over to the states to try to sell Who to some network, and decided that while he was in LA, might as well arrange to have lunch with his predecessor, Phillip Segal, who produced the TV Movie.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Along those lines, I liked the story Sophie Aldred told: one day she ran into Christopher Eccleston (I think it was outside the BBC) shortly after he'd left the series, and at first he was polite to her because he thought she was just another fan. But when she revealed that she'd played Ace on the original series, he got all excited and was swapping stories with her about their respective times on the show (she'd also tried to convince him to do conventions but he was reluctant to do so at the time).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I really do think that if they'd have had the equivalent of a Robert Holmes working as script editor (or conversely, the equivalent of a Philip Hinchcliffe handling production duties), both RTD's and Moffat's runs on the show would have been absolutely stellar. They just needed someone of equal standing to rein in their dumber impulses and weed out the sillier ideas.

The best thing about Rusty was that even when he failed, he failed gloriously.

Case in point, Tinkerbell Jesus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TinTower posted:

The best thing about Rusty was that even when he failed, he failed gloriously.

Case in point, Tinkerbell Jesus.

I haven’t rewatched any RTD episodes since at least 2012ish, but I also haven’t really felt the need. The whole era is so memorable because it’s all insane, especially the failures. RTD had many faults, but the man never phoned anything in. Everything is full tilt cranked to 11 at all times.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched Day of the Doctor and it made me happy. What should I watch next? Unironic suggestions only - i.e. no "The Twin Dilemma" etc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Curse of Fenric? Remembrance of the Daleks?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The Daleks, The Time Meddler, Tomb of the Cybermen, The Web of Fear, Inferno, The Mind of Evil, The Daemons, The Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, The Robots of Death, The Ribos Operation, City of Death, Earthshock, The Caves of Androzani, Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks (since you'd already listed some Seventh Doctor stories).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

thanks! That's the queue now!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CommonShore posted:

thanks! That's the queue now!

Do them in the opposite order!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Do them in the opposite order!

Too slow. I just finished Fenric. Remembrance next while my pizza dough proofs.

I've watched lots of these once before but they're pretty fun on a rewatch. Lots of the rough edges appear to be a function of the low budget - when the Haemovores go after the priest you can see the actresses almost cracking up but they didn't bother to reshoot it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It still blows me away that there's never been a bad Doctor. Every single actor was great in the role and every doctor is somebody's favorite.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo I forgot how much fun Remembrance of the Daleks is. It's absurdist and amazing. It hits high gear as soon as The Doctor and Ace jump into that van and the military people are just like "oh sure whatever you can come with us to the emergency" and it doesn't let off from there.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If you're still after suggestions for later, The Space Museum has a lot that makes me smile but I know it's not really a popular serial.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Homora Gaykemi posted:

If you're still after suggestions for later, The Space Museum has a lot that makes me smile but I know it's not really a popular serial.

I read the Target novel first which is pretty good, and I envisioned it with a much higher budget, so it's always been a favorite of mine,

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Is this the one with the delightful :smug: precocious scamp One?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chokes McGee posted:

Is this the one with the delightful :smug: precocious scamp One?

You're going to have to be more specific on your First Doctor stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hartnell was a treasure and it's a drat shame so many stories were lost - he's so much fun to watch