Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Vulture Culture posted:

got today's first Daily Double before the clue was shown

I got most of the 'names in songs' answers as soon as I saw the category. Not in order, mind you, but still got them. I only missed 'Vera, Chuck & Dave' because they gave you the names and you had to give the song title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sunnyboy posted:

Thanks. Also thanks for the bit of trivia.

I really hate the categories where 'famous people' are called to speak the clue, especially if the clue is more than one 'page' long.

I was watching one of the Netflix episodes and they had Tony Bennett spending half the show reading each clue about him.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

"These two heavenly sights appear on Alaska's state flag"

"What are the sun and the moon?"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Did they show the flag? I'm three weeks behind so I'm hesitant to check.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

that's the picture they showed

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My guess is that the picture didn't show up during the actual game - they tell you in that case you're allowed to ring in if you can guess it from context, they don't stop the game and re-record.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A second guy rang in and did get it right. Maybe he knew that flag from memory but I bet it did show up and the first guy just got stupid for a second.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not even American and I knew that flag from memory; people who actually get on Jeopardy are not idiots.

But yeah, maybe he got stupid or forgot to look over at the screen that shows the pictures, or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I'm not even American and I knew that flag from memory; people who actually get on Jeopardy are not idiots.

But yeah, maybe he got stupid or forgot to look over at the screen that shows the pictures, or something.

What’s the name of the baseball team in Baltimore ? 🙂

And yeah, he probably had a mind fart. It’s a stressful situation, it can happen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo! The moon?

What the hell?

There is exactly one thing in orbit astronauts can go to in 2012 :psyduck:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

Holy poo poo! The moon?

What the hell?

There is exactly one thing in orbit astronauts can go to in 2012 :psyduck:

There were some impressively loving stupid answers today.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also it was a CSA astronaut, not a NASA astronaut! :mad:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the current champion showing up her competitors is really loving terrible and i really don't know if i've ever hated a contestant more

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

the current champion showing up her competitors is really loving terrible and i really don't know if i've ever hated a contestant more

Counter point: I really like her ?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

abelwingnut posted:

Everyone this week has been a bit of a ding-dong TBH

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Duckman2008 posted:

Counter point: I really like her ?

Same, I like her combination of nervous + not shy about being nervous. She's also crushing it!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

Same, I like her combination of nervous + not shy about being nervous. She's also crushing it!

She isn't crushing it, she keeps falling rear end-backwards into winning.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Timby posted:

She isn't crushing it, she keeps falling rear end-backwards into winning.

That plus I can't stand her inability to stfu. The other day the episode got pushed back for pointless COVID news crap (I guess not fully pointless, but it was no new information and didn't seem worth preempting shows for) and we didn't get to see who won because she talked for several minutes after revealing her answer so the DVR recording cut off before her wager was shown.

I feel like you sometimes get some editorializing from a long-term champ like Ken....but even he knows to keep it to a minimum to keep the show flowing, and she seems oblivious to this. I'm pretty sure she tried chiming in at the first break yesterday but they cut her off so Alex could deliver his usual break message. She's either unaware of doing this or doesn't care, but to be fair Alex and the crew aren't doing much to put it in check.

Speaking of which, I thought they put an end to all of the shout-outs in final wagers? Seems like there's been a huge uptick in that lately.

I wanted investigator woman to win last night, despite her insanely long shout-out at the end.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That plus I can't stand her inability to stfu. The other day the episode got pushed back for pointless COVID news crap (I guess not fully pointless, but it was no new information and didn't seem worth preempting shows for) and we didn't get to see who won because she talked for several minutes after revealing her answer so the DVR recording cut off before her wager was shown.

I feel like you sometimes get some editorializing from a long-term champ like Ken....but even he knows to keep it to a minimum to keep the show flowing, and she seems oblivious to this. I'm pretty sure she tried chiming in at the first break yesterday but they cut her off so Alex could deliver his usual break message. She's either unaware of doing this or doesn't care, but to be fair Alex and the crew aren't doing much to put it in check.

Speaking of which, I thought they put an end to all of the shout-outs in final wagers? Seems like there's been a huge uptick in that lately.

I wanted investigator woman to win last night, despite her insanely long shout-out at the end.

She's probably also super nervous and that's how she reacts to it.

They switched at some point and started allowing shout outs a bit ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That plus I can't stand her inability to stfu.

She lists herself as "a writer and stay-at-home Mom." The only people I know who brag about being stay-at-home Moms are weirdo spinsters who spend their days hawking weird crafts on Etsy and complaining about non-white people on their local Nextdoor.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Timby posted:

She lists herself as "a writer and stay-at-home Mom." The only people I know who brag about being stay-at-home Moms are weirdo spinsters who spend their days hawking weird crafts on Etsy and complaining about non-white people on their local Nextdoor.

well now you know of one who is a four day Jeopardy champion

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
SAHMs and spinsters are opposites by definition. Leave us out of it, tyvm

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Timby posted:

:chloe:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Timby posted:

I'll be sure to tell my wife what some fuckin online dork thinks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mennoknight posted:

What's her Etsy shop?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s good time to remind everyone that these people are just regular folks and we shouldn’t be making personal attacks on them. Women players, in particular, receive a lot of terrible messages online over nothing related to the game.

Happy to criticize strategy though. I’m 20 episodes behind. The money going into final was something like:

14,400 - 14,200 - 1,000

And the third chair bet all 1000 on final. Whyyyyyyyyy. Your best chance of winning is the other two betting it all to beat each other. It didn’t work out that way, but why shoot yourself in the foot now when you still had the best chance?

All 3 ended up getting it wrong and the 2nd place guy won because he only bet a couple hundred bucks. Still though, make the best choice to give you the best chance of winning in the moment.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Poque posted:

well now you know of one who is a four day Jeopardy champion

:drat:

HookShot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 30, 2020

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Like I always say, it's never a good sign when there's more than two new posts in the Jeopardy! thread!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mennoknight posted:

:perfect:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dude in the middle today has some impressively awful fashion sense.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

mennoknight posted:

:boom:

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Dude in the middle today has some impressively awful fashion sense.

The guy on the right, Jesse, had on so many layers. So. Many.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Alec Eiffel posted:

The guy on the right, Jesse, had on so many layers. So. Many.

That was almost verbatim the first thing my wife said when the episode started. I guess the studio is super cold, but drat.

Also, she looked up the books our champion wrote. It's exactly what I had assumed. YA Fantasy called "Astral Plane Jane".

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That was almost verbatim the first thing my wife said when the episode started. I guess the studio is super cold, but drat.

Also, she looked up the books our champion wrote. It's exactly what I had assumed. YA Fantasy called "Astral Plane Jane".

that's a fantastic pun

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"Jane Hickson can’t go home. Yes, the woman next door is dead, and Jane is implicated. But that’s nothing. As the frightened seventeen-year-old has recently discovered, there are things worse than death. And most of them are after her."

Ughh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zesty posted:

It’s good time to remind everyone that these people are just regular folks and we shouldn’t be making personal attacks on them.

It was and still is acceptable to poo poo on Chu.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Zesty posted:

It’s good time to remind everyone that these people are just regular folks and we shouldn’t be making personal attacks on them.

Quick turnaround on that one, huh?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

"Jane Hickson can’t go home. Yes, the woman next door is dead, and Jane is implicated. But that’s nothing. As the frightened seventeen-year-old has recently discovered, there are things worse than death. And most of them are after her."

Ughh.

I don’t see what’s “ugh” about someone writing a blurb that’s to market.

Not all of us write books with the goal of writing pretentious Jack Kerouac poo poo, some of us do it to make money. Don’t mock peoples’ jobs, JFC this thread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I don’t see what’s “ugh” about someone writing a blurb that’s to market.

Not all of us write books with the goal of writing pretentious Jack Kerouac poo poo, some of us do it to make money. Don’t mock peoples’ jobs, JFC this thread.

Its ok, this thread will soon have a resolution on all the debates and controversy

Because Jeopardy is about to run out of new episodes :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Duckman2008 posted:

Its ok, this thread will soon have a resolution on all the debates and controversy

Because Jeopardy is about to run out of new episodes :negative:

It's been a pleasure posting with you guys.

I guess I'll see you all in 2023