Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

He was doing a standard retard, waving his arms and sounding stupid.

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid posted:

He was doing a standard retard, waving his arms and sounding stupid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol not arguing the prob but if you didn’t recognize the quote, this was Ann Coulter’s justification for Trump mocking that disabled reporter

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
this happened yesterday but is a callback to 2016 lols

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
gary johnson committed to not smoking weed during the campaign

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

gary johnson committed to not smoking weed during the campaign

No wonder he lost

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Thought this might be the place to ask

Does anyone remember a Twitter account/blog or something that would cover western countries in foreign correspondent tone?

poo poo like "Provincial capital buildings besieged by masked gunmen - embattled regime attempts to downplay significance amid opposition criticism"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ohhh that sounds familiar. poo poo I can’t think what that was.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Slate's 'If It Happened There' series is the only one I know about, but I'd love to see more of the same idea

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

anonymous twitter sleuth crushingbort exposing award-winning journalist Fareed Zakaria's extensive and systematized plagiarism operation spanning his entire career, it subsequently receiving no scrutiny from the mainstream media, no justice was even attempted for the victims, and Zakaria's clout and influence didn't take a single hit.

also lol that this was an injustice that at one point I had motivation/time to feel any outrage over

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The Wikipedia controversy section is lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Thought this might be the place to ask

Does anyone remember a Twitter account/blog or something that would cover western countries in foreign correspondent tone?

poo poo like "Provincial capital buildings besieged by masked gunmen - embattled regime attempts to downplay significance amid opposition criticism"

iirc that was something that took off on like Kenyan twitter, so it wasn't just one twitter account it was a whole bunch of people from developing countries dunking on the way the media reports about their lives

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

God Hole posted:

anonymous twitter sleuth crushingbort exposing award-winning journalist Fareed Zakaria's extensive and systematized plagiarism operation spanning his entire career, it subsequently receiving no scrutiny from the mainstream media, no justice was even attempted for the victims, and Zakaria's clout and influence didn't take a single hit.

also lol that this was an injustice that at one point I had motivation/time to feel any outrage over

lol!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

God Hole posted:

lmbo

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/785286697626046464

e: img'd in case it disappears "for some reason"

tinstaach has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Apr 29, 2020

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bobby Digital posted:

this happened yesterday but is a callback to 2016 lols

here come dat gary

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

God Hole posted:

lmao look at this article slobbing Z's knob

https://www.thedailybeast.com/can-fareed-zakaria-survive-a-plagiarism-firestorm

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

quote:

Fareed Rafiq Zakaria is perhaps America’s most celebrated public intellectual. Born 50 years ago to an elite Muslim family in Mumbai—his father was a prominent Indian politician, his mother the editor of India’s Sunday Times—he boasts a glittering resume that includes a Yale bachelor’s degree and a Harvard doctorate; the editorships of, and articles in, some of the nation’s more influential magazines and newspapers; three favorably-reviewed books on foreign policy; and a prestigious adjunct professorship at Columbia University.

Imperially slim and darkly handsome, possessed of an insinuating charm and a cultured manner of speech that recalls the British Raj, he’s a prized dinner guest in Upper East Side salons, and an occasional adviser on world affairs to President Obama.

If all that were not enough to assure his status at the top of ziggurat, he even hosts his own television show, Fareed Zakaria GPS, every Sunday on CNN.

So it must drive him to demented distraction, and prompt a primal scream at the planet’s cruel absurdities, that he has been taken down a peg or two by a pair of pathetically uncredentialed, no-account bloggers who go by the ridiculous Twitter handles @Blippoblappo and @Crushingbort.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
lol they even imply a Salman Rushdie bit at the end

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GalacticAcid posted:

lol not arguing the prob but if you didn’t recognize the quote, this was Ann Coulter’s justification for Trump mocking that disabled reporter

this is why "source your quotes" is a thing

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i'm loving cackling at the kentucky derby one holy gently caress

how did I miss this, it's brilliant.

rip to a real one

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 23:05 on Apr 29, 2020

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

mooyashi posted:

So it must drive him to demented distraction, and prompt a primal scream at the planet’s cruel absurdities, that he has been taken down a peg or two by a pair of pathetically uncredentialed, no-account bloggers who go by the ridiculous Twitter handles @Blippoblappo and @Crushingbort.

*kissing fingers* oh man now this... this is what I live for

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"a prestigious adjunct professorship"
"a cultured manner of speech that recalls the British Raj"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

uber_stoat posted:

rip to a real one

They execute horses on the loving track?!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"We got London on da track" voice:

Milo and POTUS posted:

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

All the handwringing and calls for civility when one of the DeVos family's ten yachts was the target of some minor vandalism

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

tinstaach posted:

All the handwringing and calls for civility when one of the DeVos family's ten yachts was the target of some minor vandalism

maybe we could see if the response has had time to impove

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

uber_stoat posted:

rip to a real one

The name of the winning horse was Big Brown.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

MD2020 posted:

The name of the winning horse was Big Brown.

:vince:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Milo and POTUS posted:

when I was younger my little sister had a friend whose father was a Czech mobster and when his horse lost a race he picked up a bicycle and slammed it into the horse's knee, breaking it and necessitating the mercy killing of said horse

once my sister was over at her friend's house and the mobster's wife wanted to go shopping and couldn't get a babysitter on short notice so she drugged the girls and left

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

quote:

A group of jackbooted tots and aggrieved teenagers showed up at the local office of Dianne Feinstein—85 years old and holding—with the intention of teaching her about climate change and demanding that she vote for the Green New Deal.

like you can't even wrap your hands around that lede, you just crack ping instantly

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

jackbooted tots and aggrieved teenagers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imagine writing a story about literal children begging an 85-year-old to support climate change legislation and deciding the spin you want is to call the children Nazis

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

God Hole posted:

*kissing fingers* oh man now this... this is what I live for

that was when i started laughing
"human beings who haven't come through the channels!!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Why is reminding people of the british Raj framed as a positive!? :psyduck:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

They shoot horses, don’t they?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why is reminding people of the british Raj framed as a positive!? :psyduck:

Because when people think of the Raj they don't think of the real thing but what images pop culture has pressed into their brains: Maharajas riding on elephants through the jungle to hunt tigers, diamonds as big as your head glittering in the treasure chamber, sexy and mysterious belly dancers in the palace, some old dude summoning a snake from a basket with his flute, strange death cults hunting for virgin blood, a stoic British officer with a mustache and a pith helmet working for the common good of the people - for people who are still stuck in this mindset the Raj is something mysterious, and alluring, and sultry in both senses of the word and still cultured in a way a white person can appreciate.

This mental image was still mostly how India was portrayed when I was a kid in the 90s, and I grew up in loving Germany. No idea how it was/is in the States

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

System Metternich posted:

Because when people think of the Raj they don't think of the real thing but what images pop culture has pressed into their brains: Maharajas riding on elephants through the jungle to hunt tigers, diamonds as big as your head glittering in the treasure chamber, sexy and mysterious belly dancers in the palace, some old dude summoning a snake from a basket with his flute, strange death cults hunting for virgin blood, a stoic British officer with a mustache and a pith helmet working for the common good of the people - for people who are still stuck in this mindset the Raj is something mysterious, and alluring, and sultry in both senses of the word and still cultured in a way a white person can appreciate.

This mental image was still mostly how India was portrayed when I was a kid in the 90s, and I grew up in loving Germany. No idea how it was/is in the States

I think you just described "Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom," and that checks out for most Americans.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the dominant cultural depiction of the middle east before 9/11 was aladdin

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the dominant cultural depiction of the middle east before 9/11 was aladdin

Also the movie True Lies, whose unflattering depiction of middle eastern terrorists turned out to be 100% correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Filthy Hans posted:

when I was younger my little sister had a friend whose father was a Czech mobster and when his horse lost a race he picked up a bicycle and slammed it into the horse's knee, breaking it and necessitating the mercy killing of said horse

once my sister was over at her friend's house and the mobster's wife wanted to go shopping and couldn't get a babysitter on short notice so she drugged the girls and left

is there a conclusion to this story about a mobster's wife giving your sister roofies?