Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

make barret your healer

unironically the smart option

the best healer is someone who's very hard to kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pollyanna posted:

Anybody can heal in the OG. Just put the materia on them.

Wow amazing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Like Nomura said he's a socially stunted 16 year old in a 21 year old body. They have nailed that flawlessly. I really do love they've chosen to emphasize Cloud's dorkiness instead being too cool for school. It's refreshing.

I really love how the whole chapter where you travel with Aeris from the church toward chapter 7 is Cloud desperately trying to show how cool he is and Aerith constantly owning him. I tuned in to the stream of her VA playing right as she got to that part and it was a lot of fun to watch her react to it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

honestly it's kind of disconcerting to remember that it's never actually established where the gently caress Jenova came from. Maybe space is full of Jenovas. Given the fact that absorbing the lifestream would have theoretically elevated it to godhood, maybe this is the first planet it's ever landed on. Maybe it's the equivalent of a newly-born larva of its species, and there's millions of fully-grown planet-sized nightmare monsters floating around the universe.

I always wanted this to be the story hook for Chrono Trigger 3. A new team explores space, visiting planets that have been ravaged by Lavos spawns, or are about to, and then ultimately end at the planet where Lavos originally spawned from.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

Anybody can heal in the OG. Just put the materia on them.

yeah but Aerith can turn your party literally invincible

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This part of the Ultimania interview is pretty fun:

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1255738573547991040?s=20

A couple fun things:
- They seem to be having some fun teasing about why Aerith seems to know things about the future and also why Stamp is a different dog in the Zack scene in the ending.
- Nomura designed Stamp himself because he's such an important symbol for the remake.
- The conversation between Cloud and Sephiroth at the edge of creation--the "seven seconds" scene--was written before they even knew where it would go in the game.
- They had a couple versions of the "The Unknown Journey Will Continue" line at the end that they had to decide between. I'm curious what the other version of that line was. They're also aware that it's "unsettling."

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
You know.

Thinking about it, I do kind of like the idea of Seph not killing Aerith on purpose so she can't use Holy properly to mess with her conflicting feelings about dying. Just like, "Hmm, no, I don't feel like it. What are you going to do about it? :)" knowing that they both know what's going on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oxxidation posted:

unironically the smart option

the best healer is someone who's very hard to kill

yep, he may not have as high of a base magic power but he's ranged and relatively tanky and has steelskin so the first thing I did was load him up with healing poo poo

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

BaDandy posted:

You know.

Thinking about it, I do kind of like the idea of Seph not killing Aerith on purpose so she can't use Holy properly to mess with her conflicting feelings about dying. Just like, "Hmm, no, I don't feel like it. What are you going to do about it? :)" knowing that they both know what's going on.

She doesn't need to die to cast holy! She successfully finishes casting it before she gets turned into another spicy memory for Cloud. Sephiroth is just sitting there, holding it back from stopping his plans.

If she survived she would have known that and probably just said "well drat, we better go kick his rear end then".

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Oh right, I must have confused it for the lifestream laser. :thunk:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If they really are sticking to major plot beats, then that means Aeris still dies.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Aerith dies but then Cloud realises he has a maxed out Revival materia and just casts Arise

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Aerith surviving would have a big impact on the atmosphere of the party but it wouldn't really alter the actual plot beats too much, beyond the writers having to find stuff for her to do along the journey. Also they're very strongly setting the stage for her to survive, there's even a shot of Cloud jumping up to intercept Sephiroth's killing blow when you fight the Whispers. Though there's visions of an unidentified person being lowered into the waters of the Ancient City so who knows.

They couldn't tell Sephiroth's story the same way in episode 1 and I rather doubt they'll tell Aerith's story the same way when the time comes. The vast majority of the audience knows she's supposed to die, it's this whole pop cultural thing at this point. Maybe they'll set up the expectation one way and then go back on it but it seems a little bit hacky, especially after saying that the destined future is now subject to change both for good and for ill.

e: Also I mean a whole lot of people wanted her to come back, back in the day. I know it's corny but I kinda hope they let us have that cookie, we'd had 20+ years for the impact of the original to set in.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 30, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Also they're very strongly setting the stage for her to survive, there's even a shot of Cloud jumping up to intercept Sephiroth's killing blow when you fight the Whispers.

Those are all shots of things that happened in the original, though, so that can't be what that shot is, unless everyone's been misreading what those visions are supposed to represent. Sephiroth's pose isn't right for that to be him descending to kill Aerith, either. That said I'm also not sure what that shot could actually be since there's no scene like that in the original. I assumed it was supposed to represent Cloud's final duel with Sephiroth after the final boss fight but then Sephiroth's wearing a shirt so :shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know whether she'll live or die, but the fact that I don't know that and we're all talking about it is pretty exciting tbh. They did a good job establishing suspense, hopefully they stick the landing when the moment comes.

I will say that on my recent replay of the original game, the death scene was still pretty emotional; I was kind of looking forward to how hard it was going to hit in the remake with enhanced graphics/sound/personality for Aerith but hopefully they come up with something strong if they don't kill her again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

there's even a shot of Cloud jumping up to intercept Sephiroth's killing blow when you fight the Whispers.

even if that were the case, that would just mean the future where we save aerith was destroyed when we killed the whispers :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I do like how little time it takes for Cloud to just accept the Aerith is coming with him when he's trying to sneak off to Sector 7. he learned in like an hour that there's no point in trying to tell her what to do

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I do like how little time it takes for Cloud to just accept the Aerith is coming with him when he's trying to sneak off to Sector 7. he learned in like an hour that there's no point in trying to tell her what to do

cloud seals aeris in an iron box, wraps it in chains, fastens the chains with several comically large padlocks, welds the box into another larger box and throws it into the sea

he turns around and she's standing right there

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sephiroth has travelled from the future to change the past. This means there are two Sephiroths. When Sephiroth descends from above to impale Aerith, having received forewarning Cloud pulls her out of the way. Sephiroth awkwardly lands on the floor and as he kneels there, future-Sephiroth descends from above him and impales the original (?) Sephiroth.

Seriously though, here's my theory for the whole game:

1) Throughout the entirety of FFVIIR, the game shows a level of understanding of the original game's characters, themes and tone that utterly blows Advent Children away. It's hard to imagine that the developers were unaware of this.

2) When our characters receive glimpses of the future described in the original game, they are actually seeing clips taken from AC. The characters all agree that the future they saw was so horrible that it must be avoided, even though without context most of those clips don't seem terribly bad.

3) As has been established by many now, the three Whispers you fight at the end are in fact the three Sephiroth clone chumps from AC, reaching backwards in time to stop their rubbish movie from being wiped from history.

4) The final fight with Sephiroth is a clear callback to the AC fight as a technical flex. They're saying "hey, remember that sick fight from the end of the prerendered movie we made? Well, now you can play it in real-time! And it looks even better! What even is the point of Advent Children any more?"

Conclusion: Final Fantasy VII Remake is a colossal gently caress-you to Advent Children.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

weird that any of it would be at all controversial when you put it that way

what I’m really at a loss for is where they might be going with the whole “alternate universe where Zack survives as a ripple effect from killing the whispers” thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I rented AC from Google play the other day (the only places it seems to be available are there and Amazon in the UK for some reason) and the HD version was in 480p. Was it never released in full HD? I remember it being one of the big first Blu Ray movies to show of the power of HD or some poo poo.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah I have Advent Children Complete on Bluray and it's real pretty in 1080p.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

Aerith surviving would have a big impact on the atmosphere of the party but it wouldn't really alter the actual plot beats too much, *snip*

Except, you know, there won't be an ancient to join the lifestream and cast holy to protect the planet from the meteor.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Well I never thought I'd hear "learn to wipe your rear end before you poo poo" in an FF game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
To be fair it is a very FFVII-esque line.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

HD DAD posted:

To be fair it is a very FFVII-esque line.

It'd probably be more like "LEARN TO WIPE YOUR rear end BEFORE YOU S#@!" but fair point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Except, you know, there won't be an ancient to join the lifestream and cast holy to protect the planet from the meteor.

again, holy was already cast, she didn’t need to die for it

probably didn’t even need to die for the life stream double-tap, she was already communing with it just fine

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Aerith gonna stick her pole in the hole at Mideel yelling you shall not pass.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Yes, a large thematic purpose of her death is that it, like most deaths, has no purpose and is not necessary for anything that happens after. That people find motivation and her spirit can still touch the characters is also important but she didn't need to die to do any of what she achieved.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

It'd probably be more like "LEARN TO WIPE YOUR rear end BEFORE YOU S#@!" but fair point.

I think poo poo was an uncensored swear in the original release, I distinctly remember being surprised by it as a teen.

Cavelcade posted:

Yes, a large thematic purpose of her death is that it, like most deaths, has no purpose and is not necessary for anything that happens after. That people find motivation and her spirit can still touch the characters is also important but she didn't need to die to do any of what she achieved.

That's my read on it; she didn't need or want to die to do what she did, it was just kind of a lemonade out of lemons situation

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Half of the story of FFVII is in the setbacks, not the forward progress.
At the point where Aerith dies she has basically taken over the role of hero while Cloud is very rapidly losing control of himself. Aerith knows who she is, she knows what her goal is, and she is confident enough to move forward and reach that goal. Her death robs the party of any sense of certainty or direction and pushes them into a long downward spiral of failures and setbacks until they eventually manage to pick up the pieces and find that same sense of purpose within themselves.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 30, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yet we've seen how that story plays out already, so I'm more interested in the one where Aerith shakes Tifa by the shoulders and goes "Stop this denial thing you have going before your boyfriend helps drop a meteor on the planet"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DeathChicken posted:

Yet we've seen how that story plays out already, so I'm more interested in the one where Aerith shakes Tifa by the shoulders and goes "Stop this denial thing you have going before your boyfriend helps drop a meteor on the planet"

The point of the remake is that we want to see this story retold again though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sephiroth's gambit at the northern crater is foiled when aeris collapses her staff and repeatedly whaps cloud across the face with it like a dog with a newspaper

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

DeathChicken posted:

I mean I'm more interested in one where she shakes Tifa by the shoulders and then they make out but yeah, yours could work too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

Half of the story of FFVII is in the setbacks, not the forward progress.
At the point where Aerith dies she has basically taken over the role of hero while Cloud is very rapidly losing control of himself. Aerith knows who she is, she knows what her goal is, and she is confident enough to move forward and reach that goal. Her death robs the party of any sense of certainty or direction and pushes them into a long downward spiral of failures and setbacks until they eventually manage to pick up the pieces and find that same sense of purpose within themselves.

This is also true, so I guess there would have to be some other way to explore those themes in the story. Or maybe they'll keep the events the same after all. Well, it's something to think about for the next 2+ years, that's for sure.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

I mean I'm more interested in one where she shakes Tifa by the shoulders and then they make out but yeah, yours could work too.

Where's the Tifa/Aerith date option at Gold Saucer Square you cowards

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Flopsy posted:

Mitochondria Eve is Sephiroth's gender bend right down to eye color just like Aya Brea is for Cloud.

Their dynamic is the same too lol

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/parasiteeve/images/a/ac/Ayamelissa.png/revision/latest?cb=20130604111844

Remake Parasite Eve!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The point of the remake is that we want to see this story retold again though.

Then what the gently caress was the point of the stupid ghost poo poo. Just to pointlessly piss off dumb internet people and a cheap excuse to end this part of the game with a pair of big fanservice boss fights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Cavelcade posted:

:yeah: