Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Booty Pageant posted:

it's the hot dang leak thread and it's what we're here for!! or else we'll go for another 20 pages of english literature essays and abby nudes

Also, didn't skim through the whole thing, but it looked like Ellie murderates Abby's boyfriend. There's a bunch of scenes with her as the PC where the main NPC is a guy she's into, they do first-date stuff and bang underneath the gym. Haven't found a scene of it in the leak, but 100% bet that they use Ellie murking him to try and build sympathy for Abby's position. But uhh... the scene where they murder Joel while Ellie's right there watching him get his head caved in, I don't know how we're ever supposed to root against Ellie.

Edit: and it does look like Joel's murder is also where the player takes control of Abby, there are two versions of the scene. One from Ellie's perspective, one from Abby's. They sure dug themselves a deeeeep fuckin' whole there!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Isn't a love triangle ending with two people raising a baby fathered by a tragically slain part of the triangle the love story in that Pearl Harbor movie from the turn of the century?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There are some scenes from the "boss fight" between Ellie and Abby and while they do a good job making Ellie seem like a real threat the framing of playing as Abby—who is almost comically stronger—makes it look real weird. Like you as a player are literally fighting a child.

My prediction is that most people will come away wanting to play as Ellie killing the gently caress out of Abby in TLoU3 and will be fightin' mad if they don't get that fix.

Kavak posted:

Isn't a love triangle ending with two people raising a baby fathered by a tragically slain part of the triangle the love story in that Pearl Harbor movie from the turn of the century?

It pops up in a surprising number of romance stories. Like, they got tension cause they're in love, but one of them is taken but then oop partner ded time to hook up.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 30, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

Is this another leak? Also a gym isn't exactly hard to put together or maintain, have you seen where Ronnie Coleman trained?

now i don't have much experience with living in a post-apocalyptic zombie world (except for that one time) but i can't help but think the daily rigors of survival in such an environment would obviate the need for a gym

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oxxidation posted:

now i don't have much experience with living in a post-apocalyptic zombie world (except for that one time) but i can't help but think the daily rigors of survival in such an environment would obviate the need for a gym

Why? These people live in small groups. Some in large groups. If they're organised and live in some level of safety why wouldn't you train your body?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Ultimately why TLOU or other cinematic games will never rise above fine for me is that I’m here for the gameplay first.

The story in TLOU is good but it could be a movie or tv show. The gameplay itself isn’t all that interesting to me.

Where game stories get interesting to me is when they successfully integrate the themes with the gameplay. Essentially to me a great game story is one that can only be told in a video game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That video makes it 100% clear that Joel thought the cure was real.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 30, 2020

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
is this now idiocracy the game??? where the hell is terry crews in this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

That video makes it 100% clear that Joel thought the cure was real.

Which one? I've only seen the ones in German lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Which one? I've only seen the ones in German lol

Inf note: Don't link to the leak.

Linked last page.

Joel has a conversation with Tommy about what he did in what looks like the opening of the game. Joel also straight-up continues to lie to Ellie even when she questions him directly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 30, 2020

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cnidaria posted:

Where game stories get interesting to me is when they successfully integrate the themes with the gameplay. Essentially to me a great game story is one that can only be told in a video game.

A lot of modern action games would work better as adventure games. That's why Telltale's Walking Dead was so good (for season one, at least). The game focuses on storytelling and you spend the whole game directly engaging with the story and characters (as opposed to just watching cutscenes).

I never liked games that seemed most interested in storytelling, but the primary gameplay mechanic is sneaking and shooting guns. Bioshock Infinite is another clear example

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

Linked last page.

Joel has a conversation with Tommy about what he did in what looks like the opening of the game. Joel also straight-up continues to lie to Ellie even when she questions him directly.

lmao

Maybe Joel should've just shut up about the whole thing

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2020

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Freelancefogy posted:

So apparently they have a gym in this apocalypse, which is why Abby is so buff. :smuggo:

Drunckmann's fart huffing must be off the charts.

somehow that intro doesn't give me the feeling that the game is about to condemn joel as a sociopath who only cares about himself, hmm

also, those guns sound meaty as gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly watching through the video it feels like a lot of things are kind of overblown or taken without context. It jumps around randomly and starts mid-scene. Which makes total sense if the leaker's intention was (as rumored) to piss people off at Naughty Dog but doesn't really give a clear view of character/story.

It's also hard to get a feel for where Abby and Ellie switch off. They may not actually switch mid-story as people seem to be suspecting because there are clearly playable Ellie scenes AFTER Joel's death.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 30, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also lol in that intro that the fleeing pair of randos made it exactly an hour before getting owned

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly watching through the video it feels like a lot of things are kind of overblown or taken without context. It jumps around randomly and starts mid-scene. Which makes total sense if the leaker's intention was (as rumored) to piss people off at Naughty Dog but doesn't really give a clear view of character/story.

It just looks like a build in progress, and he's loading segments and scenes that are closer to completion. It's hard to overstate just how janky and broken up games tend to be until they enter the final phase of production.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

It just looks like a build in progress, and he's loading segments and scenes that are closer to completion. It's hard to overstate just how janky and broken up games tend to be until they enter the final phase of production.

Nah, if you watch through for example they have one scene where it's just Ellie exploring, then it fades to the logo for a video cutting-and-joining program, and then it skips to the scene of Ellie getting beaten up by Abby.

There is a lot of loading specific bits but the bits are also spliced together.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ImpAtom posted:

Linked last page.

This is dumb because the performances are good enough in the first game that it's obvious at the end of the game that Ellie knows Joel is lying to her about the Fireflies but accepts it anyway. I only played it once but that's still clear enough in my memory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is dumb because the performances are good enough in the first game that it's obvious at the end of the game that Ellie knows Joel is lying to her about the Fireflies but accepts it anyway. I only played it once but that's still clear enough in my memory.

I mean that's the impression I get from that segment too. Ellie is confronting Joel with holes in his story and he just snaps at her and continues to lie. There's no real indication there that Ellie doesn't think Joel is hiding something from her.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah that's like the only reason the game's ending had any punch lol

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, if you watch through for example they have one scene where it's just Ellie exploring, then it fades to the logo for a video cutting-and-joining program, and then it skips to the scene of Ellie getting beaten up by Abby.

There is a lot of loading specific bits but the bits are also spliced together.

I'm just saying this person might not have full builds of everything and is just randomly throwing stuff out anything that might contain the big spoilers cause they're pissed off and violently throwing spaghetti at a wall.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

A theme of this game appears to be "we don't like the message you took from the first game, so here is exactly what we meant, put as bluntly as possible."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm just saying this person might not have full builds of everything and is just randomly throwing stuff out anything that might contain the big spoilers cause they're pissed off and violently throwing spaghetti at a wall.

Oh, I misunderstood. Yeah, that is also entirely possible. I mean either way if their goal is to piss people off at Naughty Dog it's fairly effective.

Skippy McPants posted:

A theme of this game appears to be "we don't like the message you took from the first game, so here is exactly what we meant, put as bluntly as possible."

Yeah, as depressingly expected TLOU2's basic premise appears to be "gently caress ambiguity."

Abby does seem like a reasonably fun character though if people will be able to look past the whole 'caving Joel's head in with a golf club" thing. Which is a big 'if.'

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, I misunderstood. Yeah, that is also entirely possible. I mean either way if their goal is to piss people off at Naughty Dog it's fairly effective.

Which I'm totally on board with, btw. I couldn't care less about the quality of the games, because gently caress Naughty Dog and their abysmal business treatment of their employees.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, as depressingly expected TLOU2's basic premise appears to be "gently caress ambiguity."

And I still think they're gonna miss the mark, badly. Like the ending scene between Ellie and Dina is in there, and you get the impression they badly want you to think Ellie's choice is the "wrong" one but... It's like, motherfuckers do you even know how people work? Her not being able to get over watching her father figure be brutally murdered is not some scathing indictment of hate and revenge.

Again, the way things are framed, the vast majority of people are going to fall on Ellie's side and want Abby dead.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If they make a third game Ellie will kick the last puppy of us when we first see her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Which I'm totally on board with, btw. I couldn't care less about the quality of the games, because gently caress Naughty Dog and their abysmal business treatment of their employees.

And I still think they're gonna miss the mark, badly. Like the ending scene between Ellie and Dina is in there, and you get the impression they badly want you to think Ellie's choice is the "wrong" one but... It's like, motherfuckers do you even know how people work? Her not being able to get over watching her father figure be brutally murdered is not some scathing indictment of hate and revenge.

Again, the way things are framed, the vast majority of people are going to fall on Ellie's side and want Abby dead.

I mean I fully expect that they are going to show that Abby watched/saw Joel murder her father as well because they are clearly bluntly setting Abby up to be Opposite Ellie.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I fully expect that they are going to show that Abby watched/saw Joel murder her father as well because they are clearly bluntly setting Abby up to be Opposite Ellie.

She doesn't. There's a scene in the video... ~1:04:00 where Abby sees her Dad dead, but she doesn't see him die, which is a pretty different thing. They are absolutely setting her up as a mirror to Ellie, but they appear to be doing in a really hamfisted way that doesn't account for how people actually behave which, yeah, that tracks with the first game so no shocker!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Abby sounds even further like a lame unlikable character coming out of left field, good job I guess ND, Joel did nothing wrong.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Like, here's what I expect from TLoU 2. It's somewhat speculative, but it's what I'd do if I had to write a lovely Revenge R Bad narrative.

Act 1: we play as Ellie, and there is an initial conflict with the zealots. We see her reconnect with Joel and begin repairing the rift between them. Abby is introduced, and she has some limited interaction with Ellie. Maybe they even form a bit of a rapport. The act ends when Abby gets her revenge and kills Joel.

Act 2: is Abby's perspective. We get flashbacks of her dealing with her Dad's death and many scenes of her hanging out and interacting with her lively, colorful friends and her boyfriend. What goofs they all are! But oh no, Abby is ill at ease because killing Joel didn't grant her any catharsis. Maybe revenge... bad? Ellie reappears and starts murdering all of Abby's friends to try and get at her. It all comes to a head when Ellie has Abby's BF at her mercy. Abby begs for his life, saying something like, "I love him," and Ellie says "good" and kills him.

Act 3: builds to the showdown, with Abby hunting Ellie. Both of their respective communities try to talk them down because remember, revenge... bad? But now they're all fired up with THE HATE, so they don't listen. Stuff happens and then the two square off, ending with the scene in the videos where Abby is about to murder a pregnant woman in a mirror of her BFs death when one of her last remaining friends stops her. Postscript: Abby has moved on with her life, but Ellie can't and is resolved to killing Abby.

The game will expect the player to think these two paths are at all equivalent and that Ellie is somehow the bad one for failing to turn the other cheek. Despite Abby getting her revenge and getting to be the bigger woman (literally, rimshot) while Ellie gets to eat poo poo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Skippy McPants posted:

Like, here's what I expect from TLoU 2. It's somewhat speculative, but it's what I'd do if I had to write a lovely Revenge R Bad narrative.

Act 1: we play as Ellie, and there is an initial conflict with the zealots. We see her reconnect with Joel and begin repairing the rift between them. Abby is introduced, and she has some limited interaction with Ellie. Maybe they even form a bit of a rapport. The act ends when Abby gets her revenge and kills Joel.

Act 2: is Abby's perspective. We get flashbacks of her dealing with her Dad's death and many scenes of her hanging out and interacting with her lively, colorful friends and her boyfriend. What goofs they all are! But oh no, Abby is ill at ease because killing Joel didn't grant her any catharsis. Maybe revenge... bad? Ellie reappears and starts murdering all of Abby's friends to try and get at her. It all comes to a head when Ellie has Abby's BF at her mercy. Abby begs for his life, saying something like, "I love him," and Ellie says "good" and kills him.

Act 3: builds to the showdown, with Abby hunting Ellie. Both of their respective communities try to talk them down because remember, revenge... bad? But now they're all fired up with THE HATE, so they don't listen. Stuff happens and then the two square off, ending with the scene in the videos where Abby is about to murder a pregnant woman in a mirror of her BFs death when one of her last remaining friends stops her. Postscript: Abby has moved on with her life, but Ellie can't and is resolved to killing Abby.

The game will expect the player to think these two paths are at all equivalent and that Ellie is somehow the bad one for failing to turn the other cheek. Despite Abby getting her revenge and getting to be the bigger woman (literally, rimshot) while Ellie gets to eat poo poo.

I mean in this scenario Ellie has definitely had her revenge multiple times over if she gets to kill all of Abby's loved ones

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I mean in this scenario Ellie has definitely had her revenge multiple times over if she gets to kill all of Abby's loved ones

That's... not really how human emotions work. She's fixated on Abby, the same way Abby fixated on Joel. In this theoretical, she kills other people who're between her and Abby and settles for using them to hurt Abby when she can but it's all hallow because none of the people she kills are the one she has to kill to make it right.

And yeah, Abby probably learns after killing Joel that nothing will make it right, but there's no way for Ellie to learn that lesson because the focus of her rage is still alive and kicking.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The first game made me wish more people had watched Children of Men, this one makes me wish more people would play Hotline Miami 2.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

All of these retrospective "TLOU 1 was overrated trash" "was just OK/competent" takes are so hollow. It was a game that was almost universally loved upon release. Sure, emphasis on almost and some of you might be the exception, but it stinks of contrarian nonsense.

TLOU is a very tightly crafted story, it is the best looking game of the PS3 generation and still looks great to this day, it has better performances/animation/character writing than almost every game before or since, and while not especially mechanically complex, there is enough there to provide a tense "light survival horror/action" experience that is not as heavy on resource management as say, early Resi, but is certainly toned down on set-piece wildness compared to Uncharted.

The most common criticism of it is "hurr durr it's a movie" and sure, it should make for a pretty good HBO series, but the interactivity and being "on the stick" is pretty core to the experience too. The fact that you, the player, have to make your character survive to the end in this post-apocalyptic wasteland provides a different relationship to the characters and moments than a non-interactive experience would.

Honestly the only serious criticism I can make of TLOU is that Ellie running around in front of enemies not being spotted at all is something of an immersion killer, but as I understand it this was a last minute change because having her constantly be in peril and trigger enemies seeing you would be aggravating as gently caress (they do try and build some tension into it with you needing to rescue companions at points, but I hope they find more of a middle ground of this in how companions are treated in the sequel).

It has a very impactful beginning and end, and the core story of Ellie and Joel's relationship developing is well told. A lot of it is existing genre tropes but it's all executed well and the Cordyceps zombies are a fresh enough spin on an old formula. What do people actually dislike about this game?

I played it for the first time only a couple years ago, and to be perfectly honest the story drat near bored me to tears. I hated the entire ending of the game cuz apparently I missed a bunch of stuff about the Fireflys being evil(??) Joel was annoying and Ellie was annoying and the last thing I wanted to do was follow Joel around murding a bunch of innocent people cuz as far as I knew Ellie was the cure for the zombies :shrug:

pretty game but nothing else really going for it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

JBP posted:

He admits that before the story he was a highwayman.

I like the mental image of Joel in a domino mask and feathered hat, standing astride the highway with a flintlock pistol, shouting "Stand and Deliver!"

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Im going to be the contrarian: the uncharted series is loving trash also the bloody baron in witcher 3 is better than everything naughty dog has done so far

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

*PS2 startup sound remixed to dance music for 5 seconds*

TIM: Hello everyone, this is Tim Boobey, Senior Content Communications Editor at Yaystation Official. For this episode we have a very special guest, so let's get right to it. Neil, people have called you a genius, the world's greatest game developer, the only true artist alive. How do you do it?

NEIL: Well, I started at Naughty Dog in 2000 working on Crash Bandicoot. And my first thought was, this game with the cartoon animal, loving sucks, haha. It needed to a more grounded narrative, a more personal and complex story, that is engaging, with daughters. And now I'm truly blessed and lucky to be here. It's crazy and nuts when you think about it. I'm just humbled to be called the king of game directors by so many people.

TIM: Wisdom. Something a lot of people have pointed out is that the main characters of your game, Joel and Elly, share names with the main characters of the classic FYAD-inspired webtoon Bonus Stage. Was this an homage?

NEIL: Oh wow. That wasn't intentional, but I am a big fan. Shut up and get in the Box! Lol.

TIM: Same. A criticism I hear of your games sometimes, and really this is only one or two loving idiots who has ever said this my liege so don't worry, but it's that the women are constantly being brutally hellmurdered and insanely tortured. What is your stance on women?

NEIL: When I hear that, I've just got to laugh (doesn't laugh). I love women, and not like, in a creepy way, but in the way you're supposed to.

TIM: Wow. That is such a beautiful thought. Speaking of women, I've heard you get to play as one in LOFUS 2.

NEIL: That's right. You play as Abby, and get to kill Joel and Elly. It was strongly inspired by Doom Eternal, and with Joel, you set him on fire with a flamethrower and them pluck out his eye with your arm blade glory kill, for more of a slow and somber scene. But in Elly's case you insta-gib her with your plasma launcher as her skull screams past the camera, which is to show like, how abruptly things can change and really make the audience question their expectations. Later in the game we have more Joels and Ellies who swarm around you to be killed in creative ways.

TIM: Amen, brother. So I don't know if you're aware, but according to Synthy you're one of the executives in the entertainment industry who love putting horrible evil gross stuff in their works for everyone to consume, and then jacking yourself to it. Is this true, or should he be permabanned again?

NEIL: Well first off, I -- I think sex is disgusting...

TIM: (Crosstalk) But that doesn't answer...

NEIL: (Crosstalk) Just, eugh...

TIM: (Crosstalk) The question.

NEIL: Right, so look, it's frustrating when people say that. We're trying to get a deep and real story. Video games, as a medium, are very good at telling the kind of human and involved narratives, about beard dads getting sad and killing, that no other medium can. We have to be very grounded and real, and in real life, you look around, and little girls are always screaming as their arms are broken by thugs. So we have to have it for there to be that connection. (Wipes forehead with a cloth and wrings a huge amount of sweat out into a bucket)

TIM: We. Are. Not. Worthy! Thank you for being here, Neil. We're all looking forward to your new game, and hope no one leaks it and lets everybody see how bad it is and cancel their preorders.

NEIL: (Eric Cartman voice) That would suck mah donkey balls!

TIM: (Chuckling) It sure would. To all you Sony fans out there: power to the players! Buh-bye!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I listed it in the op, but please do not direct link to the leak in any way.
At this point in time it is considered :filez:

Thank you.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

Im going to be the contrarian: the uncharted series is loving trash also the bloody baron in witcher 3 is better than everything naughty dog has done so far

not a fan of the story or the characters but uncharted 4 was a really impressive game imho

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lol

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I like the part where after they beat his skull into a pulp with golf clubs they spit on his body saying "Burn in Hell penedejo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

I like the part where after they beat his skull into a pulp with golf clubs they spit on his body saying "Burn in Hell penedejo"

It's like I always say: if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.