Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Elon should leverage his Trump style pants making GBS threads into getting the EV tax credit back. Apparently the loving White House demanded a tax credit expansion be removed on the budget bill this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon should leverage his Trump style pants making GBS threads into getting the EV tax credit back. Apparently the loving White House demanded a tax credit expansion be removed on the budget bill this winter.

They've been trying to get rid of it for years, but it hasn't held yet. If it came back, I'm not convinced Tesla wouldn't just hike their prices $7,500 immediately. It would need to be rewritten so it can be implemented differently.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Thread, bank left!

Here's a fun article about electric gliders:

https://www.flyingmag.com/story/aircraft/technicalities-sing-airplane-electric/ posted:

I Sing the Airplane Electric

Until now, an airplane was never a cheap date.

[...] You have to be careful of people standing around because when the master switch (or “kill switch”) is on, the motor is on as well, even when the propeller is not moving. It can silently spring to life at an inadvertent bump of the throttle.

[...] Having arrived at the runway, I am briefly frustrated by the lack of anything to do before takeoff. There’s no run-up and nothing to check. Not only that—the airplane, being an ultralight and beneath the notice of the FAA, has no N number. “Ultralight taking Runway 20 for takeoff, straight-out departure,” I report, with a persistent feeling that something is missing.

[...] Electric cars added the phrase “range anxiety” to our vocabulary. Flying an electric airplane is like flying a conventional airplane when you’re down to the last hour’s fuel. But at least in the electric airplane you know precisely, to two decimal places, where you stand; there’s none of that “Does the width of the needle count?” feeling. DeVault told me to come back when I’m around 30 percent of charge. After 40 minutes in the air, I am there and do.
Weirdly this matches my experiences with a 100-mile-range electric motorcycle. You have to be careful of other people playing with the "throttle", not realizing it's live. You feel weird that 1/2 of your controls are gone, 2/3 of your maintenance is gone, all the sounds are different. And you think about range but you know down to the milliwatt what you've got left at all times.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

While I understand the reasons behind the EV tax credit, there are pretty good arguments against it (in many cases it's been the average Joe subsidizing a second or third expensive vehicle for someone relatively well off), and it isn't needed if you go by fleet CO2 emissions. At least in Europe, the big auto manufacturers will be selling BEVs at a loss so they can sell profitable ICE vehicles. Of course Trump isn't going to do anything about fleet emissions in the US, but he won't do the tax credit either. When/if the US gets a president who does care, we can just tighten up the fleet emission standards if we desire.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i only buy cars from union breaking companies that cover up huge amounts of preventable deaths to save $1, which is why I bought a bolt instead of a tesla

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

They've been trying to get rid of it for years, but it hasn't held yet. If it came back, I'm not convinced Tesla wouldn't just hike their prices $7,500 immediately. It would need to be rewritten so it can be implemented differently.

I think the White House keeps failing to remove the bill due to GM & Ford lobbyists reminding them that they stand to benefit from it.

Edit:

MomJeans420 posted:

While I understand the reasons behind the EV tax credit, there are pretty good arguments against it (in many cases it's been the average Joe subsidizing a second or third expensive vehicle for someone relatively well off), and it isn't needed if you go by fleet CO2 emissions. At least in Europe, the big auto manufacturers will be selling BEVs at a loss so they can sell profitable ICE vehicles. Of course Trump isn't going to do anything about fleet emissions in the US, but he won't do the tax credit either. When/if the US gets a president who does care, we can just tighten up the fleet emission standards if we desire.

EV incentives should be the opposite; make it more expensive to buy and register ICE vehicles. China's doing it.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 29, 2020

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Ulf posted:

Thread, bank left!

Here's a fun article about electric gliders:

Weirdly this matches my experiences with a 100-mile-range electric motorcycle. You have to be careful of other people playing with the "throttle", not realizing it's live. You feel weird that 1/2 of your controls are gone, 2/3 of your maintenance is gone, all the sounds are different. And you think about range but you know down to the milliwatt what you've got left at all times.

Here’s the link, more easily accessed:

https://www.flyingmag.com/story/aircraft/technicalities-sing-airplane-electric/

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Nfcknblvbl posted:

EV incentives should be the opposite; make it more expensive to buy and register ICE vehicles. China's doing it.

That's what Norway does, right? No taxes on EVs, significant fossil fuel tax on new ICE vehicles?

Bernie Panders posted:

i only buy cars from union breaking companies that cover up huge amounts of preventable deaths to save $1, which is why I bought a bolt instead of a tesla

:discourse: Big Elon thinks, can't bust a union if you never let one form.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Regressive as hell. Stay classy.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Bernie Panders posted:

I bought from both. Not a ton of real options.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Godholio posted:

Regressive as hell. Stay classy.

Kind of an interesting question - how do you promote better policies without regression when relatively poor people will be hurt by change?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, the real problem with BEV adoption is that it's not loving over the working poor hard enough.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There's one model which is popular among people that talk about models, which I don't think has been tried in practice. Basically you a tax on thing A goes directly to subsidize thing B. There would be a fixed tax on fossil cars which then would be divided up and given as discounts or refunds to those that bought electric. If tons of people buy fossil, the discounts to electric are very big. Once people stop buying fossil, the subsidy goes away by itself.

Knowing Norway, 80% of it would somehow get wasted on admin along the way. And the refund itself would be a bit of an admin job. Do you go by year, by month? Or do you discount next year's cars with this year's taxes?

But while it might raise the prices of used cars ever so slightly, it wouldn't affect lower incomes disproportionately because they are not buying new cars.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, the problem with his brilliant plan is actually the "register" part. Like you say, the working poor aren't buying new cars. Jacking up registrations on ICE cars would be rough on people that can't afford a BEV, especially onerous if we do another round of Cash 4 Clunkers (and we absolutely loving will...) and destroy the low-priced used car market again.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The focus should be on fuel consumption of new vehicles entering the fleet - get that average down significantly and it'll flow through to the second hand market.

It isn't straightforward to implement because there will still need to be exemptions for commercial vehicles and that's going to cause problems (last thing you want to do is incentivise larger pickup trucks)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Q_res posted:

Yeah, the real problem with BEV adoption is that it's not loving over the working poor hard enough.

I didn’t say that our policy has to be as harsh as China’s. Right now, we have a gas guzzler tax and I don’t hear much of an uproar on this. I’m simply saying that the EV tax credit on its own isn’t very progressive since all it really does is inflate the upfront cost of vehicles in order to benefit the manufacturer instead of the customer.

Edit: And what I meant by making it more difficult to buy and register vehicles is that this should only apply to new cars which never have been registered. I don't think it's unfair to have higher initial registration taxes on new vehicles if they're either inefficient or registering in areas with stringent smog edicts. Heck, counties all over are already doing this by taxing fuel a bit more than their neighbors.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 29, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Clamping down on cars isn't the answer. People just started buying trucks and SUVs instead. That's where you need to clamp down. Get rid of the exemption for heavy duty trucks not having to list an EPA rating on the Moroney and tighten CAFE standards on light trucks. Narrow the divide between the standards for cars and light trucks, significantly. I realize that is politically thorny at best, but all you're doing otherwise is killing the least harmful ICE vehicles.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

True that, the only reason why SUVs took off in the 90s is the fact that they were somehow able to sidestep efforts to save on gas. I really do like what USA's done to make our cars cleaner and cheaper, just don't give soccer moms an easy out by selling 12 mpg behemoths.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One standard, period, is the way to go. Assuming, that is, we can't have no standard and an aggressively motivating carbon tax.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Also, tightening the CAFE standards as they exist is a fools errand, since what it mostly does is forces the OEs to produce cars that are capable of achieving the required numbers on the test loop, sometimes at a hilarious cost to what the car can do in real life.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Kind of an interesting question - how do you promote better policies without regression when relatively poor people will be hurt by change?

You incentivize to make the better policies/products adoptable by a larger percentage of the population.

Adding 5-10k to the cost of a new car isn't going to get many people to suddenly buy EVs instead...it's going to make people stop buying cars, or resort to predatory lending. The first part also applies to significant increases in registration taxes/fees or fuel taxes. We're not talking about vice purchases, we're talking about something that for tens of millions of Americans (I suspect "hundreds of millions" would be accurate) is a fundamental requirement to be a participating member of society and the economy.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This discussion makes it all the more amusing that my state (Wisconsin) basically penalizes you for buying a EV or a hybrid vehicle by adding surcharges to the yearly vehicle registration. $75 extra for a hybrid, $100 extra for a full on EV.

Although I understand the reason: someone realized that hybrids pay very little gas tax and full on EVs pay none, so they had to find some other way to make it up.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Road taxes by weight! Don't let Amazon and UPS et al weasel out of it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

You incentivize to make the better policies/products adoptable by a larger percentage of the population.

Sure, OK - we all agree on that. What do you think is a sensible policy to achieve this goal?

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

LRADIKAL posted:

In a sea of poo poo takes, this one glimmers as a beacon of hope that this thread can be good

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Indiana_Krom posted:

This discussion makes it all the more amusing that my state (Wisconsin) basically penalizes you for buying a EV or a hybrid vehicle by adding surcharges to the yearly vehicle registration. $75 extra for a hybrid, $100 extra for a full on EV.

Although I understand the reason: someone realized that hybrids pay very little gas tax and full on EVs pay none, so they had to find some other way to make it up.
Same in TN, flat $100 when you register it and I believe a yearly fee as well. Insurance is also higher but that's another topic.

LRADIKAL posted:

Oh you can't expect multi billion dollar companies to pay taxes, that's just silly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Godholio posted:

Adding 5-10k to the cost of a new car isn't going to get many people to suddenly buy EVs instead...it's going to make people stop buying cars, or resort to predatory lending. The first part also applies to significant increases in registration taxes/fees or fuel taxes. We're not talking about vice purchases, we're talking about something that for tens of millions of Americans (I suspect "hundreds of millions" would be accurate) is a fundamental requirement to be a participating member of society and the economy.

Simply having my state not charge sales was a big motivator for me to buy my Leaf, since that 10% discount, plus the already low price of a relatively niche and low-range EV made me buy a much newer car, instead of the $2000 crapcans that I normally purchase.

I did pay almost $1000 in registration fees, most of that going to public transit initiatives, but I got most of it back because I live in the boonies where public transit is a joke (why they would charge me full price for the region I bought the car, and refund based on where I live, instead of just charging me based on my address is beyond my reasoning abilities).

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My state (Indiana) started charging $50 for PHEVs/Hybrids, and $150 for BEVs. But its reasonable IMHO.

Indiana taxes gas at 46 cents per gallon (not including the 18.4 cents federal tax). $150 is equivalent to a 30MPG car driving just under 10k miles a year.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

In California we upped the gas tax and increased registration fees, which ended up being a fairly substantial increase (I pay $150 more a year now in registration fees for my SUV than I would have pre-2018). The nice thing about having it in the price of gas is it kind of hits the people who use the roads more, and it's spread out across the entire year, but it's also regressive. If we went 100% electric we'd have to add a huge fee to registration, or probably switch to some making multiple payments across the year system. I don't mind the increase as long as it's actually used for improving the roads, some of the most used freeways in LA (looking at you the 5) are absolutely horrible to use if you're on something like a motorcycle with a stiff suspension.

My soccer mom mobile averages in the 12 to 13mpg range, so at least I'm doing my part to fund the roads.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Indiana raised the gas tax quite a bit to the current 46 cents at the same time the additional registration fees where enacted in 2018. They also tacked on an additional $15 "road improvement fee" that everyone is paying, regardless of vehicle type. At least they seem to be using it for that purpose; there has been a massive flurry of road construction all over the state the past 2 years.

Also, for good measure, the county I live in, tacked another $50 tax on registrations for all residents. So my registration costs about $600 a year now on a 2017 Volt.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Check this oot:
https://www.webbmotorworks.com/electric-crate-motor
Pretty cool, eh!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That is *very* cool.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Looks like I got a slow leak in a tire drat it... And looking at the state of my tires its time for new ones! Tread? what's that?

Surprisingly I have made it 3 years and 52k miles on the factory set of tires on my Volt!

Now the bigger question.. Get cheap all season tires or spring for the LRR variety.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

MrYenko posted:

So I didn’t realize traffic-control stopping had made it to public builds, and my Model 3 started stopped at stop signs leaving my neighborhood...

I legit thought I was dreaming. The future is weird.

Are we just ignoring that this rear end in a top hat has been using autopilot in his residential neighborhood and just letting it roll through stop signs?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wait, what? i thought he was manually driving and noticed that the car was intervening to apply brakes at stop signs

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Speleothing posted:

Are we just ignoring that this rear end in a top hat has been using autopilot in his residential neighborhood and just letting it roll through stop signs?

When I tried it on a 45mph road it popped up the notification at a few hundred feet, before it started deceleration and with a decent (though still unnervingly small) amount of grace time for me to intercede. I only tried it on a couple intersections, not a stop sign -- that gives me pretty huge anxiety, even though the visualization preview has done a pretty good job with guessing where to show the stop line given all the line-less stops in my area.

Edit:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait, what? i thought he was manually driving and noticed that the car was intervening to apply brakes at stop signs

The just-released feature won't take action unless you're on autosteering/TACC. This is not emergency avoidance. The way the first post was written could imply blindly sailing through a stop sign beforehand but I assume OP was leaving out the "hovering over the break, watching it like you just took off a clumsy kid's training wheels".

keseph fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 30, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speleothing posted:

Cruise set at 25 in a 25, and it alerted to the traffic control device and intentions to stop like, 700ft from the stop sign.

Also, go gently caress yourself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

stevewm posted:

Looks like I got a slow leak in a tire drat it... And looking at the state of my tires its time for new ones! Tread? what's that?

Surprisingly I have made it 3 years and 52k miles on the factory set of tires on my Volt!

Now the bigger question.. Get cheap all season tires or spring for the LRR variety.

What's your climate like? (aka where do you live?)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I heard it was $60k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Charles posted:

What's your climate like? (aka where do you live?)

Southern Indiana....