Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Sure, in the hypothetical where we are all dead I feel pretty bad.

I mean that's a silly write-off of the point that nobody has enough information to support your thesis that it's "safe enough" for the kids to go to school, versus the consequences you're suggesting of how important this social contract is that they can't be kept home for a few months/year.

Also you ignore the very real possibility of permanent bodily damage to the young, purely because it's not the death we see in the elderly. Just because they don't die off doesn't mean those who are infected end up living full, healthy lives afterwards.

Atoramos has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/27khv/status/1255907120156946434?s=19

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Philthy posted:

It's hard to really tell. We've got American reporters in Wuhan right now reporting daily. People are all walking around, driving, etc. They're still social distancing, but every day it's less and less and people become less afraid they're saying. However, there aren't corpses piling up, people haven't gone missing, they're not wandering into walls half dead, and the hospitals are not overcrowded. From all account they had a VERY strict lockdown when the poo poo hit the fan. Infected people were taken and put into camps until they were cleared. They didn't sit at home hoping they wouldn't die or go around screaming about being a slave. They got themselves tested and put into quarantine camps. They test/ed temperatures literally everywhere you went. I have yet to have seen my temp taken when going to the grocery store, or the temp of the cook who made my burger.

yes but they lost their freedom

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Admiral Ray posted:

it depends what the kid's home life is like. if their parents are abusive school may be a reprieve.

:hmmyes: and on top of that, statistically some of the ppl that will get infected by the schoolchildren will be murderers/rapists/etc so who can say if corona is good or bad

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

xrunner posted:

I have a family member in memory care and one thing I notice when visiting her is how other people treat their loved ones with dementia. A lot of times they correct and try to remind their loved one of what is real and what is fantasy and they I guess think they can say magic words to bring them out of that state. It often just leads to frustration and sadness. I always say just play along and if your loved one thinks you're their long dead sibling or parent or an old friend, just let them live in that pleasant reality.

That can work in some instances but in others it can't we just had my grandmother pass away a couple months ago and she had really bad dementia the last couple months and you just can't lie about where people are and what time it is it will also confuse them for example she believed she lives in Indiana well that's going to be really hard to sell when we are going to different places in Colorado she also believes I'm her son because I look similar to her uncle and we both visit her often so impersonating him though funny and some ways I can imagine would not be good it would lead to confusion and frustration so you can't just play along with their fantasies all the time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we are aware of many kids who are broken by not being able to go to school , which was by far the best part of their day

it’s tragic

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
[edit]
Beaten

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Swedish social contract does lead to an interesting weighing of negative vs. positive freedoms. Easy to lose one's humanity in deontological thought.

Of course here in America we tend to emphasize negative freedoms above all, so it's weird to see a reversal there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Atoramos posted:

I mean that's a silly write-off of the point that nobody has enough information to support your thesis that it's "safe enough" for the kids to go to school, versus the consequences you're suggesting of how important this social contract is that they can't be kept home for a few months/year.

Entirely fair. I mostly wanted to first and foremost recommend the book (to the few who can read it), and secondly to not be a tease give a short summary of the national ethical mindset that it suggests is at play. When we get into filtering the mindset/social contract through the actual reality, with very little very solid information, things get a lot trickier. I honestly don't think I have enough conviction to make an argument in any direction there.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

euphronius posted:

who is teaching and staffing in the elementary schools

who is staffing other highly skilled, essential services today?

do we just not teach children for the next 4 years until we find a safe vaccine? online courses are definitely not cutting it for young kids. they are treading water at best.

it would be ridiculous to open schools up the same way they were 3 months ago, especially when small children only get between 30 minutes to an hour per day of focused learning at school.

ideally everyone gets a basic living income, enough to be able to provide an education to your children without working, but since that won't happen.......

also, it's 10% when a house is filled with coronavirus, not that 10% of kids have coronavirus.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

swedes not human, got it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

When we get into filtering the mindset/social contract through the actual reality, with very little very solid information, things get a lot trickier. I honestly don't think I have enough conviction to make an argument in any direction there.

the only argument that can be made in the present climate without descending into monstrosity is to immediately and vigorously copy the policies of the places that have defeated the virus, which are the policies which also defeated all previous pandemics where they were successfully applied. We have one functioning strategy and inadequate information to pursue anything else. "Herd immunity" and "extreme social distancing until vaccine" are insane given all the unknowns when "hard lockdown until the case load is burned out to near-zero, then track/trace" works again and again.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I got the full $1,200 today but thought this was going to be taxed.

Maybe I'm just a poor and was given a break?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

it’s not income so no tax

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

no taxes on it, just the $1200

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shovelbum posted:

the only argument that can be made in the present climate without descending into monstrosity is to immediately and vigorously copy the policies of the places that have defeated the virus, which are the policies which also defeated all previous pandemics where they were successfully applied. We have one functioning strategy and inadequate information to pursue anything else. "Herd immunity" and "extreme social distancing until vaccine" are insane given all the unknowns when "hard lockdown until the case load is burned out to near-zero, then track/trace" works again and again.

the plan that leaders in the US want to implement is "herd immunity for poor people, lockdown until vaccine for white-collar workers"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/op...sSDBTqm7HDlFmzA

there seems to be growing evidence that, unlike other epidemics, young children are rarely getting COVID at all. they are not being asymptomatic carriers, let alone spreading it to others. when households have COVID everyone is infected, except the kids are only infected 10% of the time.

this only applies to elementary school age though. teens are still getting it and spreading it. but there is some hope that elementary schools could reopen before a vaccine.

see i don't know how to square that, with this:

quote:

Children with the new coronavirus may be as infectious as adults, according to a study from Germany that stoked confusion over kids’ role in the pandemic.

Levels of virus in the respiratory tract -- the main route via which the pathogen is transmitted -- don’t appear significantly different across age groups, Christian Drosten, director of the Institute of Virology at Berlin’s Charite hospital, and colleagues found. They advised caution in reopening schools and kindergartens.

The findings add to a contradictory body of work over children’s response to Covid-19 and the role they play in its spread, with another report showing kids aren’t passing the virus to adults. The World Health Organization said Wednesday more research was needed on the topic.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

:hmmyes: and on top of that, statistically some of the ppl that will get infected by the schoolchildren will be murderers/rapists/etc so who can say if corona is good or bad

child abuse is very common

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the online teaching for young kids isn’t bad if parents at home are engaged with it

still they need to interact with other kids

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mozi posted:

see i don't know how to square that, with this:
All the completely contradictory information is the best thing about the pandemic, IMO.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

we are aware of many kids who are broken by not being able to go to school , which was by far the best part of their day

it’s tragic

would love to know how many kids think that because it's the only time they know they'll have a meal

i know a lot of schools are still providing that service even while closed but it is criminally underreported just how many kids literally rely on school lunches to avoid starvation

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

who is staffing other highly skilled, essential services today?

Opening up another institutional setting when it is proven that coronavirus in an institutional setting can create viral loads that can kill a healthy 20 year old in days is flatly insane. This isn't a power plant with a few guys in a huge facility, or even a grocery store where a large cross section of mostly uninfected people are in and out quickly, it's like creating a new nursing home or prison in every neighborhood. It's the same people day in and day out and the infection will just build and build. Some essential services simply cannot be operated under these conditions. We are fortunate that due to heavy mechanization large chunks of heavy industry can more or less provide the survival needs of our society without their workforce disintegrating.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

oh my god the 10% of kids thing comes from a preprint gibberish paper that doesn’t even say that kids don’t get it it just says that 3/31 families first got it from a kid which is just social factors on who first gets the drat thing. of course kids can get it.

and drawing any conclusions from the little poo poo that ‘didn’t’ infect three schools is insane because he had two coinfections at same time and almost half the people he came in contact with had respiratory problems and one tested positive so what are we even talking about.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

it’s tragic

buncha trumpers wanting to get haircuts imo

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
what we need to do is repurpose sports stadiums into open-air schools that children can run around in. parents can watch from the stands and teachers can do their lessons on the big screen

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

the plan that leaders in the US want to implement is "herd immunity for poor people, lockdown until vaccine for white-collar workers"

This is again insane because the two plans cannot coexist, stretching out the pandemic will destroy the economy completely to where we cannot sustain any of this because we will run out of hard currency to purchase necessary imports, and we do not know enough about immunity to this disease to say that either one of these plans is even technically feasible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

we love our inebriated cartoon wives here, don't we folks? *crowd cheers* yeah, we do we do, you know the Dems *crowd boos loudly* they hate inebriated cartoon wives, they're too good for them, but we know better, don't we

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

kater posted:

oh my god the 10% of kids thing comes from a preprint gibberish paper that doesn’t even say that kids don’t get it it just says that 3/31 families first got it from a kid which is just social factors on who first gets the drat thing. of course kids can get it.

and drawing any conclusions from the little poo poo that ‘didn’t’ infect three schools is insane because he had two coinfections at same time and almost half the people he came in contact with had respiratory problems and one tested positive so what are we even talking about.

oh is that where it came from? nevermind then lol

no idea how kids are going to learn how to read/write tbh, but yeah, gently caress the article I linked. :(

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

oh is that where it came from? nevermind then lol

no idea how kids are going to learn how to read/write tbh, but yeah, gently caress the article I linked. :(

This is an insanely text-based society and enough of them will pick it up on their own or learn from their parents to perpetuate like, industrial society at some level.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

where we cannot sustain any of this because we will run out of hard currency to purchase necessary imports

LMAO the average American is constantly terrified that Weimar Germany is just around the corner if the government spends a single dime on anything other than F-35s.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

LMAO the average American is constantly terrified that Weimar Germany is just around the corner if the government spends a single dime on anything other than F-35s.

Yeah it's horrible. There are real economic catastrophe outcomes on the table here like that but they come from NOT doing a hard lockdown with a very strict definition of essential services paired with food delivery and UBI

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
My kid was about to start pre school right before this. Guess he's never going to school lol. Not like I give a drat, I'm 10x smarter than all the teachers in my chud county and I'll do a better job

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

what we need to do is repurpose sports stadiums into open-air schools that children can run around in. parents can watch from the stands and teachers can do their lessons on the big screen

"good news guys. every single person in the class got an 80% or higher on the latest test!"

/fireworks cannon goes off

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm honestly disappointed that we didn't get any emergency rations. I'd love some MREs

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

shovelbum posted:

This is an insanely text-based society and enough of them will pick it up on their own or learn from their parents to perpetuate like, industrial society at some level.

Haha Yeah my aforementioned son can already read

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Indiana stay at home extended to the 15th

it appears the official plan of the Great Lakes Avengers Pact is to wait and see what happens to the dumber chud states

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Son of Man posted:

My kid was about to start pre school right before this. Guess he's never going to school lol. Not like I give a drat, I'm 10x smarter than all the teachers in my chud county and I'll do a better job

making GBS threads on teachers is a hell of republican talking point tho, like they're mostly dedicated and well-trained professionals who are hamstrung by a ridiculous system and terrible managerial caste, much like healthcare workers etc. A lot of the American workforce is still like really viable under a better system.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

teachers probably aren’t chuds and teaching is extremely hard

it’s better I guess when it’s just one or two kids but good luck finding proper materials

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My kid is very likely not going to be able to understand English after this.

Also I made elections on my flexspend account at work to account for his preschool tuition, except he's not going and may not go again this year, so uh what now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

That can work in some instances but in others it can't we just had my grandmother pass away a couple months ago and she had really bad dementia the last couple months and you just can't lie about where people are and what time it is it will also confuse them for example she believed she lives in Indiana well that's going to be really hard to sell when we are going to different places in Colorado she also believes I'm her son because I look similar to her uncle and we both visit her often so impersonating him though funny and some ways I can imagine would not be good it would lead to confusion and frustration so you can't just play along with their fantasies all the time

Not to get too off topic but people that bad aren’t living in the present with a coherent narrative like we are. They don’t really hold onto day to day interaction so what does it matter if she confuses you for someone else because when that person come later she’s just happy to see them again :shrug: all cases are different but one huge problem I’ve noticed is that people like to think their loved one is ‘still there’ if they can just penetrate the fog. But really they aren’t there and you can’t penetrate the fog. If they ask where they are you tell them. If they insist they’re sonewhere else despite all available evidence just roll with it. That’s been my experience but yeah all cases are different.