Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean The Simpsons has had plenty of bad seasons and it's still being quoted nonstop.

It's a pretty big exception though. And those quotes are only ever from the good series too.
Just look at how the last few series of GoT being bad killed the interest in the rest of it.

I'd rather a show goes out when it's still decent than get run into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'd rather the cast and crew of a show I've loved for years get paid.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 29, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
GOT is a bad example as it’s a long form narrative.

You can’t really compartmentalise that

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

It's also kind of an extreme example (to me) since I can think of very few TV series that botched the ending that badly; HIMYM was arguably worse since they planned that wet fart nine years in advance instead of going 'gently caress it, I wanna work on Star Wars' seven years in.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I couldn't sit through 90% of the last two seasons of Doctor Who but I still watch older episodes

I also catch myself watching old clips of House when they cross my YouTube, and I don't even remember where I dropped off there

I'm not sure this science holds up

edit: Prometheus and Covenant made me punch my own balls but Alien still rules

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Taear posted:

It is a real thing though. If a show has bad seasons it means it fades from memory. I'm not going to say the later series of Friends were amazing but it never went off that hill and now it's still being watched by new generations thanks to Netflix.
Whereas Scrubs absolutely did and once it'd aired it died.

That's some real "my dog is a cat" type logic there.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

For me, going off netflix is the only way to kill a sitcom. I rewatch episodes when I need something on in the background, but that’s not worth researching and purchasing the streaming services where friends/HIMYM/scrubs/etc went.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Scrubs is on Hulu, alongside a lot of other American sitcoms that I don't think are forgotten (30 Rock, Parks & Rec, King of the Hill, Futurama, It's Always Sunny, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Good Place, Community, going back farther Seinfeld, Cheers, Frasier, Golden Girls, etc.) but I am perhaps not in the zeitgeist or am weird to have a Hulu account.

Zach Braff and Donald Faison just started a Scrubs podcast last month that seems to be doing well too.

None of this is to take away from how dogshit the later seasons were, but it's still out there. Not as well-remembered as a lot of the other shows listed, but it hasn't been memory holed like (say) Night Court, which isn't anywhere to stream besides buying seasons off Amazon Prime.

I think there's also kind of a distinction to be made between serialized/episodic television, part of the reason people feel like [Game of Thrones/Lost/How I Met Your Mother/Scrubs] were ruined by later bad seasons is that (almost) everything is in a continuous narrative so that setting up mysteries/conflicts you know will pay off in a lovely manner is hard to ignore when revisiting the early 'good' seasons in a way that knowing there are hundreds of awful Simpsons episodes isn't top of mind when you're revisiting a done-in-22-minutes episode of Simpsons or whatever.

I haven't rewatched any of Scrubs so I don't know how hard it is to do it with that show.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Jason Sextro posted:

It's also kind of an extreme example (to me) since I can think of very few TV series that botched the ending that badly; HIMYM was arguably worse since they planned that wet fart nine years in advance instead of going 'gently caress it, I wanna work on Star Wars' seven years in.

HIMYM had a good ending, the bad part of that show was how it continued long past the point where the writers ran out of ideas.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mymla posted:

HIMYM had a good ending, the bad part of that show was how it continued long past the point where the writers ran out of ideas.

No, it had an objectively loving terrible ending.

Robyn was always way too good for Ted, but the mother was perfect for Ted.

The last couple seasons were kind of "meh" for that reason, but the finale was basically kicking a guy in the balls after you cut off his leg.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I never understood the amount of hate the HIMYM ending got.

I mean, it was definitely bad, but more of a wet fart than the worst sitcom ending ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, it was definitely bad, but more of a wet fart than the worst sitcom ending ever.

The ending kind of made the story sort of pointless? Like the story was clearly building something up and then bait and switched people.

People don’t like that generally unless it’s a well done mystery

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The same reason any other ending is "bad." It doesn't match up with people's headcanon and they have a violently allergic reaction to it or having their reaction to it questioned.

\/\/\/\/ Hey, it's not my reasoning. Keep your eyes open with that in mind going forward. You'll notice a pattern eventually and you'll hate it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 1, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s really stupid and hilariously reductive reasoning.

Belongs in CD if anywhere

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
HIMYM's problem with the ending is it made sense when the show was just starting out and they decided to stick to it and not change a thing even after the show ran well past the creator's initial vision.

In that time they really made it seem like Ted and Robin really weren't Meant for Each Other, that they had some fundamental differences, etc.

On top of which it's just a weird tone, to have it be "And that's the mother! And then she died! So now it's time for Ted to get back with Robin!" It just felt wrong.

I mean I stuck with the show for a while, it was quite fun to the end, but that final episode really left a nasty taste.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Also, the last season was all about Robin's wedding and one of the episodes was just incredibly heavy handed in saying that he finally needs to let her go. (Remember that balloon train wreck?)
Furthermore, after spending a whole season at that wedding, Robin's and Barney's relationship was just instantly brushed aside, to free her up, while Ted's wife dies off-screen from some vague illness.
It's like the writers were incredibly adamant about the conclusion of their show and needed to force it in any way possible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Robin and Barney actually were perfect for each other and it was dumb that the show made that not happen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The bad part of the HIMYM ending was how barney caught the aCtUaLly BaBiEs ArE mAgIcAl virus.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mother definitely feels like the ending was changed at some point. The show is clearly building one way and then just swerves at the end. Hell the ending could have been fine but a lot like GOTs it is in just to much a hurry to just end it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I guess that'd do it. I never felt like the ending was a swerve, just that it was real stupid. Fair enough.

Mymla posted:

The bad part of the HIMYM ending was how barney caught the aCtUaLly BaBiEs ArE mAgIcAl virus.

The worst part is that it instantly turned him from a predatory creep to a grossly paternalizing creep, and acted as if this somehow was an improvement and redemption for his character. The reveal of what he actually did for a living was also real dumb while keeping it a secret was just funny.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The worst part is that it instantly turned him from a predatory creep to a grossly paternalizing creep, and acted as if this somehow was an improvement and redemption for his character. The reveal of what he actually did for a living was also real dumb while keeping it a secret was just funny.

At least they never revealed why it was called Puzzles.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I miss NewsRadio and wish it were streaming somewhere.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think a big part of the HIMYM "bad ending" thing is that the whole final season is spent finally having us get to know the mother and how Ted met her and their relationship. And Cristin Milioti was real good and they did a good job. And then the last 5 minutes just swerves off to conclude Season 2 or 3 or something. It was weird and they weren't reading the room at all.

I don't know how to evaluate "sitcom life" these days. I think we're in a weird place because forever it was about syndication and the sitcoms that just lived forever in reruns. But now everything's up on streaming and aside from hashtags and app algorithms and posted numbers I'm not sure how we figure out what's got life and what doesn't.

hanales posted:

I miss NewsRadio and wish it were streaming somewhere.

The first four seasons seem to be up on Crackle. Which is free.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Was there an episode last night?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That baby one was the last one. I was surprised too!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I think a big part of the HIMYM "bad ending" thing is that the whole final season is spent finally having us get to know the mother and how Ted met her and their relationship. And Cristin Milioti was real good and they did a good job. And then the last 5 minutes just swerves off to conclude Season 2 or 3 or something. It was weird and they weren't reading the room at all.

I don't know how to evaluate "sitcom life" these days. I think we're in a weird place because forever it was about syndication and the sitcoms that just lived forever in reruns. But now everything's up on streaming and aside from hashtags and app algorithms and posted numbers I'm not sure how we figure out what's got life and what doesn't.

To be honest if the last season didn’t spend so much time on the Barney Robin stuff it would be differently received. As it stands the last seasons A plot is filler and the actual mother plot is the B plot

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

You’ve made my weekend. Thank you.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The_Doctor posted:

The season finale was last week

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I decided to re-watch the Wuntch funeral episode again, good lord it was hilarious.

"All you have to do is avoid bad-mouthing a dead woman at her own memorial." "Exactly, it's impossible."

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I like the ADRed 'Wash your hands' at the end.

Also, please don't get all catty about perceived quality in this thread. While I am finding myself not caring as much to watch new episodes (I only now just watched the finale) it's still good.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The show is good but it's starting to suffer from what most other good comedy shows suffer from: everyone on the cast becoming best buddies and all conflict evaporating. The episodes just start becoming a bit saccharine and dull. Parks and Rec is a good example of what I mean.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What the gently caress are you talking about? Literally every episode this season involves conflict between the characters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though even in the beginning the only real conflict was Jake and Holt.

I guess Amy and Jake as well but those didn’t last long

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I need my characters to hate each other

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Arrested Development is the only good tv series.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mymla posted:

Arrested Development is the only good tv series.

My husband hated Arrested Development until I explained to him that you were also supposed to hate Michael. Then he was like "ohhhhh that makes WAY more sense".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Also, Schitt’s Creek. I’ve watched 2-3 eps and everyone is terrible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HookShot posted:

My husband hated Arrested Development until I explained to him that you were also supposed to hate Michael. Then he was like "ohhhhh that makes WAY more sense".

I feel like I only ever see this sorta weird desire to "relate to" the main character from Americans, maybe because in the early 80s and 90s in British TV the main characters were all shitheads so we're used to it and it's not a new concept.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Literally every episode this season involves conflict between the characters.

If you say so.

I'd prefer more characters like Wuntch or the Vulture to make a return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lunatic Sledge posted:

This is why It's always sunny in Philadelphia is still going strong after 15 years. The hatred just grows and feed of itself.