Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did you know Stephen King's original pen name was Kenneth Pigs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

NikkolasKing posted:

Maximum Overdrive is supposed to be this way, right? It isn't supposed to be scary but rather hilarious and weird as gently caress?

I remember seeing an interview where King (I think) says they set out to make the loudest movie ever made.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

April posted:

Oh goody, more Holly. Am I the only one that finds her the most annoying King character of the last decade? She's like the living embodiment of the smucking SOWISA crap in Lisey's Story.

And he's putting her in EVERYTHING.

Yeah she's not great and her appearance in the Outsider (book) seemed only to pad out the unnecessary length. Really don't get why King thinks a heavy object put in a sock is the ultimate weapon, that was in Tommyknockers too. I don't think she is the worst character, but just dull and I don't know why King keeps bringing her back. He can write interesting detectives, like the guy who showed up for a few pages at the end of A Good Marriage, but there's just so little to Holly's character.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Holly worked when she was with Bill Hodges, but she really didn't add anything to The Outsider that wasn't already done by every other character investigating the case (well, okay, she was a woman and everyone else was male? Which could easily be fixed by... making one of the other investigators a woman and it wouldn't change anything).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Get rid of Holly and you could have had an Andy and Alec love story which would have probably been less cringe-inducing than the Holly and Andy one.

That was such a bad love story.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It part two is on HBO so I’m giving it a watch and it’s good so far... except for Jessica Chastain as Bev Jessica Chastain. You could seriously cut and paste her from any of her roles into any of her other roles and not even notice.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Part 2 was such a letdown for me

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Part 2 was such a letdown for me

I think watching it well after it came out has adjusted my expectations. It’s definitely well-made but the tone is definitely different from part one.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
poo poo, I forgot about IT pt 2. Something to watch this weekend.

I should also watch the Dark Tower movie. I know what it is, and it can't be as bad as the Cell movie. Right?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Canuckistan posted:

I should also watch the Dark Tower movie. I know what it is, and it can't be as bad as the Cell movie. Right?

It’s worse than everything else in that it’s terribly bland and forgettable.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
IT part 1 > IT miniseries part 1 > IT part 2 > IT miniseries part 2

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

Cell at least had a Lloyd Kaufman cameo. The dark tower movie is intensely boring.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yea it’s really sad how little effort they put into it. They just took the story and cut everything that was unique and made it a cookie cutter action movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Dark Tower was so bad. The casting was great (except for the Allstate guy), but the implementation was terrible.

It wasn't just boring, it was mean. Like hey, all the book fans want to see Lobstrosities right? Let's make them think they're going to see it, but then just CGI some generic monster poo poo. Oh yeah, let's also stick an easter egg in there from a King movie that was actually good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

They both were.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I meant The Dark Tower. The IT movies were not memorable for me but I understand people enjoyed the first one a bit.

The Dark Tower just failed completely as an adaptation and a movie.

Listening to the unabridged Stand for the first time since reading it in high school and jeez I know I explained it to myself then that it’s the characters that are racist, misogynist basically just pick an ism but wow.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Cell got a movie? Who starred in that pile of poo poo?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Cell got a movie? Who starred in that pile of poo poo?

Vincent D'Onofrio (Wilson Fisk in Netflix Daredevil, Edgar from Men in Black, Bobby Goren from L&O Criminal Intent, a lot of other stuff) and Jennifer Lopez I think.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

NikkolasKing posted:

Vincent D'Onofrio (Wilson Fisk in Netflix Daredevil, Edgar from Men in Black, Bobby Goren from L&O Criminal Intent, a lot of other stuff) and Jennifer Lopez I think.

Lol

It was John Cusack and Sam Jackson (who were great in 1408)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Lol

It was John Cusack and Sam Jackson (who were great in 1408)

1408 was better than the short story, it’s weird how good that movie was.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
AV Club gave the new novella book a good/decent review

https://aux.avclub.com/the-outsider-evolves-in-stephen-king-s-spotty-new-colle-1842968306

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 21, 2020

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Holly is one of my least favorite king characters ever. This sounds like a very skippable collection.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Holly is one of my least favorite king characters ever. This sounds like a very skippable collection.

I liked her fine in Mr Mercedes but after that it felt like her arc was kind of done and she became a pretty static character. Her dealing with the death of her sister, her mental illness, and her controlling mother was great. Being an odd private detective, kind of boring.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How close does King live to Somerville? I’m working on a reality show that takes place there and I can easily see him fitting right in with the cast of characters in this thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've got 2 free credits on Audible and might get a Stephen King book. I loved Steven Webber reading IT.

Any recommendations? I was going to pick The Stand and 'Salem's Lot. I've seen The Stand TV series in the 90s and liked it but I've never read or seen any version of 'Salem's Lot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've got 2 free credits on Audible and might get a Stephen King book. I loved Steven Webber reading IT.

Any recommendations? I was going to pick The Stand and 'Salem's Lot. I've seen The Stand TV series in the 90s and liked it but I've never read or seen any version of 'Salem's Lot.

those are pretty good picks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Those are two of his best books, and should keep you occupied for dozens of hours. How long are the recordings, anyway?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If I remember correctly Salem’s Lot is 10 hours or so and then stand is about 30 hours.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd do The Shining and Salem's Lot over Salem's Lot and The Stand. I'm not a fan of the The Stand's narrator and that's a long listen to not like the narrator.

Campbell Scott does a good job and his dad was in Firestarter.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd definitly go for Salems lot. I personally don't really love the Stand, it's got some great parts but as a whole it's not that satisfying. Most people seem to rank it highly among kings books though, so this might be a me thing. Since we're talking audiobooks I'd like to recommend Christine actually, I think the narrator really suits the story.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have listen to several King books on Audible. I don't think you can wrong with The Shining, The Stand, Salem's Lot, or Pet Sematary when it comes to their narrator. Yes The Stand is long (I just checked my library it is 48 hours long), but hell I done LOTR on Audible, and also the first 3 books of the Stormlight Archive back to back which was almost 150 hours long. If had to pick and I haven't read/heard any of these (and I wasn't looking for a long book) I would go with The Shining (16 hours) , with Salem's Lot (over 17 hours, which I am surprised about) next. I actually enjoyed Salem's Lot more, but The Shining is regarded as a better book.

Also normally I only listen to books that I have already actually read. So my take might be slightly off.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You only have 2 credits or I'd suggest starting on the Dark Tower. The first 2 or 3 books were narrated by Frank Muller who is the best King narrator. He also did The Green Mile and Talisman.

Crimpolioni posted:

I'd definitly go for Salems lot. I personally don't really love the Stand, it's got some great parts but as a whole it's not that satisfying. Most people seem to rank it highly among kings books though, so this might be a me thing. Since we're talking audiobooks I'd like to recommend Christine actually, I think the narrator really suits the story.

I'm trudging through a re-listen of The Stand and it's not holding up well. Too many characters and the character development seems juvenile. If I see another person speak admiringly of the quiet Texan I'm going to sign heavily. Granted I'm at the Boulder Free Zone part and even Stephen King realized the book was such a meandering mess that he wrote in a bomb to cull the crowd and get everything back on track.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think people, myself included, often think of the first 3-4 hundred pages of the Stand when saying it’s one of King’s best. The beginning is loving incredible, the back half is definitely significantly weaker. But that beginning is so good it really overshadows the rest when you’re looking back at it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The Shining audiobook is vastly superior to The Stand.

The guy reading The Stand does voices for admittedly a pretty large range of characters and I cringe all the time at them. This shouldn’t be as funny as it is.

The Shining audio was properly scary although that may have as much to do with me liking the source material a lot more than The Stand.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

You only have 2 credits or I'd suggest starting on the Dark Tower. The first 2 or 3 books were narrated by Frank Muller who is the best King narrator. He also did The Green Mile and Talisman.

I thought they changed the narrator between books 1 and 2? I stopped listening after book 1 because I couldn’t stand the narrator for the second book.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think people, myself included, often think of the first 3-4 hundred pages of the Stand when saying it’s one of King’s best. The beginning is loving incredible, the back half is definitely significantly weaker. But that beginning is so good it really overshadows the rest when you’re looking back at it.

AKA the full metal jacket syndrome

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Just listened to about 30 seconds of the 'Salem's Lot reading. It sounds like one of the "older" Audible reads, where the sound quality isn't the best and the narrator is just reading rather than performing.

Steve Weber absolutely nailed IT, for instance, and the sound quality was much higher. 8 years separates the recordings.

What about one of the short story collections? Is Skeleton Crew considered the best?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I listened to Salem’s Lot on audible this year and the narrator did a good job.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It looks like there are multiple releases of Salem’s Lot by the same narrator on Audible. Make sure you’re looking at the one released in 2012.

I just checked my copy released in 2004 and listened to a sample of the later version and subjectively the 2012 sounds better. It’s entirely possible they over compressed the earlier copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The scariest and best audio recording of a King book is Steven Edwin himself reading the short story/novella 1408.

Listening to the audiobook version of From a Buick 8 is vastly superior to actually reading that book and I don't know why. I'd put that as my number 1 recommendation. Aggressively mediocre book, wonderful as audio.