Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. That all makes sense. Thanks.

Well, it makes sense apart from the fact that people who don't even own WoD are responsible for writing most of the stuff for it. That sems pretty dumb.

CCP and Paradox both bought WW for the IP rights, to make video games and other media projects with them. CCP famously spent years trying to make a Vampire MMO and Paradox has already announced Bloodlines 2 and a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game. CCP never cared about publishing TTRPGs based on the license--on the scale of AAA video games a tabletop game's profits don't even amount to a rounding error--OPP licensed the IPs because Rich, Eddy Webb, et al are fans of the tabletop line and didn't want to see it die.

Paradox doubtless had similar designs, but put a dude in charge who sold them on letting him make a new edition of the tabletop game as well, basically as a passion project. That ended when it caused an international incident over the pogroms against LGBT people in Chechnya, and Paradox dissolved its "White Wolf" subsidiary, licensed the new edition tabletop stuff out to Modiphius (and some others, including OPP), and appears to be in the same "we only bought this for the IP, if someone else wants to make a few thousand bucks publishing tabletop games we'll gladly take their money and let them deal with the logistics."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Everyone posted:

I downloaded for free during that "week of free" at drivethru, though I still haven't read. Wasn't that the one where the character example was some kind of smelly homeless teenage girl mage that the author really kind of wanted to gently caress?

Brucato has very specific fetishes, all of them creepy. The pregen was also kicked out of her house when her mom caught her having a threesome in her mom's bed so you could have the image of teen sex bouncing around in your head as your soul dies a little.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Brucato has very specific fetishes, all of them creepy. The pregen was also kicked out of her house when her mom caught her having a threesome in her mom's bed so you could have the image of teen sex bouncing around in your head as your soul dies a little.

But hey you get power points when your soul dies!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

But hey you get power points when your soul dies!

Exactly. Who needs a soul when you get "teh sex powerz?"

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Phil is on the moderation team for a Mage fan page. A couple years back he banned some idiot for being a creep and way behind the times regarding sex workers. After the banning he made a big Mod Announcement type post about how that type of talk wasn't allowed and cited his experience as someone who "taught and practiced erotic magical forms", which was then juxtaposed with THIS giant picture of his face he used to conclude the post. (linked because it's huge)

https://imgur.com/a/sMHPjvD

The dude has his heart in the right place but he goes about things in the most Satyr Phil way possible.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 30, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I get paid tomorrow and I have a few books lined up to buy but one I'm especially curious about, can anybody tell me if Guide to the Traditions is good?

Mage Revised honestly sounds like my thing and looking at the list of Mage Revised books on DriveThruRPG, this one stood out since it's informative on all the Traditions so I don't have to buy multiple Tradition books right now.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

He looks exactly like the kind of dude that would brag about being into erotic magic

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

NikkolasKing posted:

So I get paid tomorrow and I have a few books lined up to buy but one I'm especially curious about, can anybody tell me if Guide to the Traditions is good?

Mage Revised honestly sounds like my thing and looking at the list of Mage Revised books on DriveThruRPG, this one stood out since it's informative on all the Traditions so I don't have to buy multiple Tradition books right now.

I haven't really read it cover to cover so I can't speak to it's quality, but the book is more about the Traditions as an umbrella faction. It's not really about the various Traditions individually so much as how they intersect. Of course there will be tidbits about each of the Trads, but not in the depth you're probably hoping.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Guide to the Traditions is a spectacularly bad book.

I can go into more detail later, but it's basically a book about the Traditions by people who hate the Traditions.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Froghammer posted:

He looks exactly like the kind of dude that would brag about being into erotic magic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phil also thought a top 40 station playing top 40 hits was edgy.

Powerchords' Dedication posted:

"The DJs and station managers at WAVA and DC101 during the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, for daring to play everything from Bruce Springsteen to Rick James to the Ramones to Judas Priest to Prince to Frank Zappa to Patti Smith and the B-52s on the same radio stations, back when it was all fairly new and before terms like “classic rock” existed. (Plus a hearty gently caress Y’ALL to the folks who bought those stations and ruined ‘em in the mid-80s.)"

Bruce Springsteen on the air in the late 70's and early 80's? Now I've heard everything!

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Free Gratis posted:

Phil is on the moderation team for a Mage fan page. A couple years back he banned some idiot for being a creep and way behind the times regarding sex workers. After the banning he made a big Mod Announcement type post about how that type of talk wasn't allowed and cited his experience as someone who "taught and practiced erotic magical forms", which was then juxtaposed with THIS giant picture of his face he used to conclude the post. (linked because it's huge)

The dude has his heart in the right place but he goes about things in the most Satyr Phil way possible.

Uggggghhhhhh...I shouldn't be surprised, but guys like this are why if I mention my own spiritual practice at all, I leave it at "Buddhism" and don't reference the type. Any time one of our monks in residence does a Dharma talk about Tantra, you can always spot the creepers who show up, and the moment they realize it's not going to turn into an orgy.

And most of them look like Brucato.

(For the record, in case anyone was curious "tantric practices" can refer to a whole shitload of very different things, and most of them have little to no emphasis on sex. In the type of Tibetan Buddhist practice I follow, as an example, sex is primarily brought up as a metaphor, both for the realization of the illusory nature of duality and to explain the strength of feeling associated with achieving the bliss-void state. About as close as you get to engaging in actual sexual acts is visualizing yourself as a deity in union with it's consort during certain forms of meditation. If you're coming to talks or lama chopas and tsohs expecting naughty sex bits, you're going to be bored out of your mind. It's mostly sitting around and banging on musical instruments while chanting, and then eating fruit.)

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

GimpInBlack posted:

EDIT: Also, the "supplement treadmill" you remember from the 90s is no longer a sustainable business model. It's not the fault of crowdfunding, it's the fault of "dozens of books in each edition and for each line" simply being a) not profitable and b) no longer necessary, since online sales and distribution means there's less need for constant new product churn to keep your physical shelf space in brick-and-mortar bookstores like there was back then.

Yeah, this is IMO the main thing, and it's a structural change in the pen and paper RPG industry. Look at how few books D&D is publishing in it's current edition - and D&D is outright hot now - compared to how many it had out in 4th, 3rd, 2nd. I think it's closely tied to the decline in brick-and-mortar bookstores - every mall used to have a chain bookstore that would carry a few WoD books but now it's like "what the gently caress is a mall?" Independent bookstores are actually doing relatively well (compared to how they were doing a few years ago, not compared to how they were doing before the rise of Barns and Noble style megabookstores and then the rise of Amazon) but here in Brooklyn I don't think I've seen a single indie bookstore that carries RPGs anymore.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Paradox contracted text-based CYOA developer Choice of Games to make three Vampire games. COG has its rough gems but, and I say this with all due affection, they're pretty openly a shovelware company. Still, might make for some schlocky enjoyment.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Other than some core books, I buy all my rpg books in digital format. I have probably have every post revised oWoD book physically, and nearly every 1st edition nWoD book. After moving a few times, you learn that it isn't worth it.

Onyx Path is small enough I am glad they get a bigger cut of my money from me backing kickstarters and buying from Drivethru, but as a worker at a small retail business it is also a shame.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If yall could have one vampire drink from you who would it be?

E: if its a character from one of your campaigns please tell us why that kindred is so cool

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Paradox contracted text-based CYOA developer Choice of Games to make three Vampire games. COG has its rough gems but, and I say this with all due affection, they're pretty openly a shovelware company. Still, might make for some schlocky enjoyment.

i am so over the visual novel format

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My friend is gonna run a Werewolf 20 game and decided to try streaming it.

https://www.twitch.tv/frodolaporte?fbclid=IwAR04LbeX4rBbGHx7tIArnucl5lLx02FDJC8KEvz5vuKNq7jByU7trYMl9M0

It's gonna be in english but we're probably gonna dip into french canadian from time to time. I'm gonna be the Uktena Galliard.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Soonmot posted:

I wouldn't mind it so much if they actually have replay value. So far Coteries of New York railroads everything and your choices have little to no impact on the plot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Phil also thought a top 40 station playing top 40 hits was edgy.

Bruce Springsteen on the air in the late 70's and early 80's? Now I've heard everything!
There was a period where playing Springsteen and Priest were relatively groundbreaking but it was years before my conception.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soonmot posted:

Choice Of is usually low on visual, more on text. Overall their stuff is cheap but decent, and frankly, the bar they have to clear to produce better than average content for vim cyoas is subterranean.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

There was a period where playing Springsteen and Priest were relatively groundbreaking but it was years before my conception.

The thing is Brucato was listening to a top 40 station when the stuff he liked were top 40 hits. He also cites KISS a lot in his music RPG (and in fact is way more into Gene Simmons than is socially acceptable) and seems to be one of those people who is highly irritated his stuff is now 'classic rock.'

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah, this is IMO the main thing, and it's a structural change in the pen and paper RPG industry. Look at how few books D&D is publishing in it's current edition - and D&D is outright hot now - compared to how many it had out in 4th, 3rd, 2nd. I think it's closely tied to the decline in brick-and-mortar bookstores - every mall used to have a chain bookstore that would carry a few WoD books but now it's like "what the gently caress is a mall?" Independent bookstores are actually doing relatively well (compared to how they were doing a few years ago, not compared to how they were doing before the rise of Barns and Noble style megabookstores and then the rise of Amazon) but here in Brooklyn I don't think I've seen a single indie bookstore that carries RPGs anymore.

It gets lost in all the other amazingly bad decisions Ericsson made, but one of the earlier red flags about his "vision" for the oWoD was that he bought into the weird narrative that the original lines had languished under OPP, because they weren't churning out supplements. There's been a particular mythology among a certain subset of grognard that believes that the nWoD killed WW; that the classic lines were all doing fine, but then they tried this reboot and it doomed them, and that if OPP had just restarted the book churn the IP would still be right up there with DnD.

Now, this is bullshit to anyone who hasn't spent the last 2 decades huffing nostalgia farts, for the structural changes outlined above. But it's extra bullshit in this case, because WW employees at the time have come out and said that the supplement treadmill was failing as a business model The capstone apocalypse books and then trying a different publishing model (along with trying to market the IP, a la the attempted MMO) was done specifically because even after cutting back on publications for the less popular lines, even the core 3 supplements were getting dodgy in the ROI. Nor is this particularly obscure information; Rich Thomas has written articles about it at OPP, and some of the people interviewed in Ericsson's little narcissistic "documentary" have also talked about how the lines were doing towards the end of revised. This is direct feedback from people there on the ground that nuWW had access to, and they were still holding on to the notion that all it would take to relive the 90s was to churn out an endless spew of supplements full of pre-millennial edginess to get back to where WW was circa 1995.

In some ways, it's kind of amazing they even managed to get the core book out on their own. Still waiting for that netflix deal though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

The thing is Brucato was listening to a top 40 station when the stuff he liked were top 40 hits. He also cites KISS a lot in his music RPG (and in fact is way more into Gene Simmons than is socially acceptable) and seems to be one of those people who is highly irritated his stuff is now 'classic rock.'
I don't get why people give a poo poo. If you like the music and so do a lot of other people, isn't that great? It means you had a great experience and as frosting on top, you have a common point of contact with strangers. It's like keeping up in passing with football so you can make idle conversation.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

GimpInBlack posted:

OPP licensed the IPs because Rich, Eddy Webb, et al are fans of the tabletop line and didn't want to see it die.

Belatedly, another point to explain the Onyx Path situation: they weren't just fans of the tabletop line. Rich Thomas and Eddy Webb were some of the employees of White Wolf Publishing when it was purchased by and merged into CCP, and continued working there for the period during which CCP let the ex-White Wolf division continue publishing tabletop books. When the MMO project became such a debacle that CCP cut the support line to the tabletop division and started preparing to divest, these ex-White Wolf veterans who had hung on were the ones who incorporated as Onyx Path Publishing and negotiated for licensing rights so that tabletop books could continue to be made for the WoD and CofD, given its contemporary owners had no interest in making any and would charge too much to buy the rights back outright. Onyx Path's freelance writer stable when they broke off was basically the same freelance writer stable that was writing the tabletop books under CCP.

So there's kind of an evolving line of heritage there from late White Wolf Publishing through CCP into Onyx Path Publishing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nessus posted:

I don't get why people give a poo poo. If you like the music and so do a lot of other people, isn't that great? It means you had a great experience and as frosting on top, you have a common point of contact with strangers. It's like keeping up in passing with football so you can make idle conversation.
It means you're old now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zereth posted:

It means you're old now.
Beats the alternative :v:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Free Gratis posted:

No one who wants to gently caress teens has their heart in the right place, even if they're sex positive in some other way.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. That all makes sense. Thanks.

Well, it makes sense apart from the fact that people who don't even own WoD are responsible for writing most of the stuff for it. That sems pretty dumb.

Check out the new V5 Chicago by Night suite (CbN, Chi Folios, soon to be released - Let the Streets Run Red) by OPP. They're absolutely gorgeous books that are extremely fun to play

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oberst posted:

Check out the new V5 Chicago by Night suite (CbN, Chi Folios, soon to be released - Let the Streets Run Red) by OPP. They're absolutely gorgeous books that are extremely fun to play

I will add them to my list, thanks.

Although, can anybody tell me if Paradox or I guess the writers at Paradox have spoken on the Sabbat? I was reading a thread on the new House Goratrix on Onyx's forums and one post said we've heard little about House G or the Sabbat in V5 because Paradox supposedly doesn't like them or something.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

NikkolasKing posted:

I will add them to my list, thanks.

Although, can anybody tell me if Paradox or I guess the writers at Paradox have spoken on the Sabbat? I was reading a thread on the new House Goratrix on Onyx's forums and one post said we've heard little about House G or the Sabbat in V5 because Paradox supposedly doesn't like them or something.

There are no writers at Paradox. There were writers at Paradox spearheading creative development, but three books in they managed to cause a minor incident of international outrage, and Paradox shuffled the old creative head into a closet somewhere and shut down in-house development.

V5 book development is currently done by Modiphius Entertainment, and I don't know who the V5 creative head is there, though I'm sure at least some Modiphius V5 freelance writers will be from the same set of writers who did V5 work for Paradox directly.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like people who are mad their poo poo is now classic rock didn't go hard enough to appreciate surviving this long.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I Am Just a Box posted:

There are no writers at Paradox. There were writers at Paradox spearheading creative development, but three books in they managed to cause a minor incident of international outrage, and Paradox shuffled the old creative head into a closet somewhere and shut down in-house development.

V5 book development is currently done by Modiphius Entertainment, and I don't know who the V5 creative head is there, though I'm sure at least some Modiphius V5 freelance writers will be from the same set of writers who did V5 work for Paradox directly.

Fair enough then.

And I'm sorry for constantly barging in with questions but I know a lot of you are older fans and know way more than I do.

Order of Hermes (I got the first edition of their Tradition book) is said to incorporate some ideas from this other series that has a group with the same name but otherwise they have no connection. Just now I was discussing why I like Clan Tremere and somebody said they were only good in Ars Magica.

How much of World of Darkness is from this AM thing? Is it just as good as WoD and worth a read?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 1, 2020

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough then.

And I'm sorry for constantly barging in with questions but I know a lot of you are older fans and know way more than I do.

Order of Hermes (I got the first edition of their Tradition book) is said to incorporate some ideas from this other series that has a group with the same name but otherwise they have no connection. Just now I was discussing why I like Clan Tremere and somebody said they were only good in Ars Magica.

How much of World of Darkness is from this AM thing? Is it just as good as WoD and worth a read?

Ars Magica is amazing, but other than stealing some faction names from AM's Order of Hermes (for a brief time White Wolf owned Ars Magica, and IIRC there were some vague plans in the 3rd edition of AM to make it "WoD's Middle Ages," that went down like a lead balloon and was almost immediately dropped), the two settings have nothing in common.

Ars Magica is a game about medieval wizards in a version of Europe where everything medieval philosophers thought about how the world works is literally true. People's Health really is governed by the balance or imbalance of the four humors, diseases really are caused by demons, the sky really is a big Crystal sphere with the planets and the Sun orbiting around the earth, etc etc. It's great, but if you're looking for more World of Darkness, you're not going to find it in Ars Magica. Literally all they stole was names, the Tremere in Ars Magica are not vampire Wizards or anything like that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

Ars Magica is amazing, but other than stealing some faction names from AM's Order of Hermes (for a brief time White Wolf owned Ars Magica, and IIRC there were some vague plans in the 3rd edition of AM to make it "WoD's Middle Ages," that went down like a lead balloon and was almost immediately dropped), the two settings have nothing in common.

Ars Magica is a game about medieval wizards in a version of Europe where everything medieval philosophers thought about how the world works is literally true. People's Health really is governed by the balance or imbalance of the four humors, diseases really are caused by demons, the sky really is a big Crystal sphere with the planets and the Sun orbiting around the earth, etc etc. It's great, but if you're looking for more World of Darkness, you're not going to find it in Ars Magica. Literally all they stole was names, the Tremere in Ars Magica are not vampire Wizards or anything like that.

That all does sound pretty awesome, if very different from WoD. I'll have to look into it sometime after I've gotten most of the WoD books I want.

I was just curious if it was an influence on WoD or not. HalloweenJack in his review of VTM 2e I think it was talks about how VTM is the second most influential TTRPG after D&D. I didn't know if any of the WoD owed its status to AM or not. Doesn't seem like it. That's fine, of course. Influence doesn't mean much, I just wanted to know if WoD took ideas from it or not.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough then.

Your questions are infinitely more interesting than another round of mage chat.

As for the rest of 5th edition, the preview of Werewolf they released a video on the other week gives me hope that they're gonna jettison the leftover 90's edge and do something cool with it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough then.

I just want to inform you that a lot of v5 questions are going to be met with a lot of false information and hate because it's not the favored edition in this thread

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Soonmot posted:

Your questions are infinitely more interesting than another round of mage chat.

As for the rest of 5th edition, the preview of Werewolf they released a video on the other week gives me hope that they're gonna jettison the leftover 90's edge and do something cool with it.

I share some of your hope, but I'm still very wary.

Ericsson's influence is on werewolf is already out of the bag with the upcoming video game and I'm sure the new development team was handed some notes. I'm curious if they feel any kind of pressure to be in line with whatever setting/tone it's going to present. The V5 setting info that Ericsson gave in early interviews ended up being in the final product and he was leaning real hard on the Impergium part deux in those same interviews.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Metapod posted:

I just want to inform you that a lot of v5 questions are going to be met with a lot of false information and hate because it's not the favored edition in this thread

I do intend to read V5 and V5 Cam on my own at some future date. I'm starting "in the beginning" with Clan Tremere but they seem the most effected by V5 changes so I def need to read all about that on my own so I can be caught up with current events for Bloodlines 2.

Obviously execution is important but the Pyramid braking up doesn't bug me so much. I don't like the Camarilla anyway so my favorite Clan not being bound to them has great potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

I do intend to read V5 and V5 Cam on my own at some future date. I'm starting "in the beginning" with Clan Tremere but they seem the most effected by V5 changes so I def need to read all about that on my own so I can be caught up with current events for Bloodlines 2.

Obviously execution is important but the Pyramid braking up doesn't bug me so much. I don't like the Camarilla anyway so my favorite Clan not being bound to them has great potential.

PSA: put oberst and metapod on ignore. There are people here who play V5 and like V5 without being loving apologists. Seriously, makes the thread much better.

EDIT: Anyone have a link to that werewolf video? I never added it to the OP.