Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, I dont know if anyone else commented this, but Duran's liege class strike, Magic Rend is stupidly OP for the wrong reasons: the enemy is locked while getting hit by it and the skill goes on forever. Basically if the PC uses it, it gives you a huge opportunity window to go to town on the enemy. Against Dark Lich I was able to take him down from 30% to death while the skill was ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

lezard_valeth posted:

Wait, excuse me??? (kevin's path ending spoilers) the king of Ferolia actively helped the guys trying to destroy the world all for a secret test of character and we are letting him off the hook so easily??? like this is some goku gives cell a senzu bean level of bad parenting here, not to mention the earlier trauma of making your son believe he killed his pet. AND I didn't even get to kick his rear end????

You actually do get to kick his rear end. And then he says "Come back when you're stronger to fight for real" so there's definitely some weird poo poo going on

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

lezard_valeth posted:

The first part of Mirage Palace is weird. Like they wanted to make a Capcom boss rush but knew people hate Capcom boss rush, but I wish they would have because the combat system is super fun and would have loved to beat the poo poo out of old bosses with my new class 3 powers

If you played on the other routes, you'd fight a different set of old bosses.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

absolutely in awe of these broken rear end skills you get for beating all the anise challenge missions :vince:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jokes posted:

This game absolutely rules and I wish there was a harder part to it, since it all seems relatively trivial even on the hardest difficulty if you have Angela in your party.

FF7R's developers realized that they'd need to do something to put a clamp on characters that were previously only gated by time when they switched to a more action-based system, and the ATB Gauge mechanic is a nice compromise that serves that purpose well. ToM's developers either didn't have the same insight, or didn't want to mess with the formula too much (which is always a danger in remakes like this), and the consequence is that anyone with multi-target magic just absolutely dumpsters every single fight in the game. I killed the Dragon Lord in about a minute by hammering my Lucent Beam+ button and having Kevin punch down the break bar when it appeared.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It honestly seems like giving bosses multiple hitboxes that AoE magic can use to triple or quadruple their damage was a mistake, especially given that I can't think of any bosses that actually make use of the different hitboxes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it seems like they were going for a thing where targeting different parts would have a different effect. Like on crab boss, taking out its eyes could stop it from shooting lasers, but instead it's just like the original and the eyes just get destroyed as it loses HP.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Physical damage dealers can also benefit from that, though. It's really noticeable with stuff like Riesz's level 1 CS, etc.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I think they did that so they can make every CS2+ and beyond a bigass AOE without having to balance for single target.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's also nice to have multiple targeting options just simply for making sure your lock on is appropriate no matter what angle you approach the monster at instead of getting stuck attacking at weird angles sometimes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the caster parties always dumpstered the game, just through somewhat different mechanics. light riesz/dark hawk/whatever angela is basically you declaring that you want to bully the game as hard as possible, in either version

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Casters used to have the drawback of needing to pause the game and wait for the animation every time you cast a spell, which isn't an issue now so they wreck poo poo in real time.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

the last anise skill that makes items never run out in battle is insane on newgame +. assuming you stockpiled a bunch of items from your first run youve got unlimited access to almost every single spell in the game right off the bat

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So, wait, the class strikes can also nail multiple hit boxes?

G Cyrus
Mar 27, 2010

orcane posted:

Also "you can't have duplicates of ??? seed items" has to be wrong and people are probably being lucky, I just carried a bunch over into NG+ for my Hawkeye/Charlotte/Riesz party and when I finally planted all of them at once I got both items for dark Hawkeye, both + duplicates for light Charlotte and not a single light Riesz class change item, so now I'm probably going to approach level 90 before Riesz can get her 3rd class (while the other two are class 3 since level 38), thanks to the 300% XP bonus trait :v:
No, the trick works, but you need to plant each ??? seeds one at a time, instead of all them at once. My guess is that the game checks your characters' class, then which class items you already have in your inventory before handing something you don't have yet.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Casters used to have the drawback of needing to pause the game and wait for the animation every time you cast a spell, which isn't an issue now so they wreck poo poo in real time.

The only downside I see to casters is: if you lack the dps to reliably kill bosses fast, you don't have the option of the "melee the boss until he breaks" and then pummeling him down. Some bosses have that tied to their "break this in a dps check before the battlefield explodes" but others actually need to be hit by the active player in melee combat from what I've seen

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
The downside to casting in SFC was 2 fold: You just did more damage quicker with melee in real life time, and many bosses would hard counter anything that stopped the screen(Magic/FST's) with a FST of their own.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shoenin posted:

The downside to casting in SFC was 2 fold: You just did more damage quicker with melee in real life time, and many bosses would hard counter anything that stopped the screen(Magic/FST's) with a FST of their own.

*Bill and Ben intensifies*

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

G Cyrus posted:

No, the trick works, but you need to plant each ??? seeds one at a time, instead of all them at once. My guess is that the game checks your characters' class, then which class items you already have in your inventory before handing something you don't have yet.

Can anyone confirm this? From the previous posts on this topic, it sounded like you had to plant all 6 at once to guarantee no duplicates. I was dumb and turned in the first one I got, but luckily got Necro for Charlotte. Now I'm sitting on 2 or 3 and trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or wait until I've got 6.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I planted each seed as i got them and immediately used the item if it fit my intended class layout and got zero dupes.

I did get the "wrong" items for already upgraded characters though :)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
So I'm about 8 levels overleveled and still routinely miss the DPS checks on the Benevodons. Am I just bad or is it actually supposed to be a challenge? Or maybe I'm relying too much on Angela for damage, and Kevin would've done great before I respec'd him to support.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think the intended approach against boss pillars is to use class strikes: irrespective of where you are in the game lv1 will knock out 70% of a pillar and lv2 and above will shatter it completely. Or at least that was my experience.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Using Hawkeye I erased them with my fourth combo (the one that hits a bunch).

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I use class strike 1s or good power attack combos

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So it's just based on number of hits, not damage?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

gandlethorpe posted:

So it's just based on number of hits, not damage?

The number and type, it seems. I can wail on them with high magic damage and nothing happens but mash on it with physical attacks and it seems to move the same amount no matter who hits it. Speed of hits and type are key. Kevin's multi-hit power attack finisher doesn't count each individual hit but once the combo is over it takes off a flat giant chunk of the bar.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Got into a random battle, and after awhile noticed my allies weren’t fighting the enemies and couldn’t see them. After I beat the battle, I noticed they were both stuck in a stairway crevice. This truly is a Mana game :911:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

seiferguy posted:

Got into a random battle, and after awhile noticed my allies weren’t fighting the enemies and couldn’t see them. After I beat the battle, I noticed they were both stuck in a stairway crevice. This truly is a Mana game :911:

Some enemies are so small that they can go up some elevations that are suddenly unreachable for allies with very small melee range like Kevin. They will just endlessly look like trying to run towards a target, not engaging. This happened a LOT in the postgame Sanctuary of mana with the small shapeshifters

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Whose story is your favorite?

I'm finally downloading this and having a hell of a time deciding who to start with. I think I'm between Duran, Angela, and Hawkeye, but I really don't know.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Any idea where the save files are kept for the Steam version? I'm moving my install over to another PC to see if it solves the problems I've been having. Steam doesn't sync the save files, unfortunately.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

IMJack posted:

Any idea where the save files are kept for the Steam version? I'm moving my install over to another PC to see if it solves the problems I've been having. Steam doesn't sync the save files, unfortunately.

A lot of saved games go to users/username/documents/gamefolder. I'm playing on the switch so it could be different.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
e: nm

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 30, 2020

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Harrow posted:

Whose story is your favorite?

I'm finally downloading this and having a hell of a time deciding who to start with. I think I'm between Duran, Angela, and Hawkeye, but I really don't know.

I'm partial to Duran/Angela mostly cause theirs is the one I played the most. Kevin/Charlotte is the one I played the least. Hawkeye/Riesz's stories are decent. If we're just talking intros, then Hawkeye and Riesz's are probably the interesting ones in jumping into the overall plot right away, while everyone else starts with following their own personal stakes before getting pulled into bigger conflict.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Kevin always, Kevin forever. Save dat dog

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I played 9 hours without pressing R3 to lock on to enemies in fights. When mashing through early game instructions/dialogue goes wrong.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i've played all the way to the end and barely used it. doesn't seem very helpful

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Got to the boss of the demo and fought that goofy Giant Crab. Kevin was in werewolf form so he was definitely bringing the damage. Also got Angela's first spell and even though it's a dinky holy beam, it is... somewhat satisfying in how it just erases enemies.

Keep in mind that I played SD3 way back when for the fantranslation initially came out and it didn't grab me, got Legend of Mana and tried to replay it like 3 times but lost interest in the first few hours every time, bought Secret on the Wii Virtual Console and it didn't grab me, bought the Collection on release just because and played maybe 10 minutes of Trials, seemed alright but wasn't in the mood at the time or was doing something else.

But this, though... I immediately picked up the digital copy after completing the demo, so we'll see how this first real foray into the Mana series goes for me.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Approach the story the way you would a cult classic movie

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

MechaX posted:

we'll see how this first real foray into the Mana series goes for me.

Well, if you bounce off of the series now, it certainly won’t be for a lack of trying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
And now I found out that a Steam cloud update was pushed out just this morning. Figures.