Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Standard is standard, you get a reliable experience, more people with different decks can add challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Played Carnevale of Horrors on Tabletop Simulator with a few folks the other night. I was using what ended up being a terrible Daisy deck that had no fighting or evading capability, which sucked. Played with Rambo Skids (2x Ornate Bow and Haste), Tommy, and Ursula.

Rambo Skids was fun to watch, Haste has a fun interaction with Ornate Bow that lets you get another shot/reload for free.

Didn't realize how consistent Tommy could be, shuffling cards back in constantly. He was the richest person at the table.

We ended up all dying/going insane before Act 2 since we couldn't get the innocent revelers quickly enough. Still haven't figured out if it makes more sense to peek first, then unmask, or just unmask them faster.

The TTS module is pretty easy to use, which o wasn't expecting. Highly recommend it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The bow shoot and reload are separate actions, they shouldn’t trigger haste.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

The bow shoot and reload are separate actions, they shouldn’t trigger haste.

They're both 'Activate' actions, so it works for Haste.

https://arkhamdb.com/card/06239 posted:

Q: If I have a card like Flashlight that indicates an activate action and Investigate - is it considered an activate action, an Investigate action or both? What about when you play cards with a designator like Spectral Razor? Is that a play action or a Fight action? Both?

A: Activating an ability with an action designator or playing a card with an action designator counts as both actions. Using a Flashlight, for example, would count as both an activate action and an investigate action.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Yeah, that was a point of discussion during the game, and we went and looked it up. Matt Newman (the designer) actually went back and forth on it before confirming in the FAQ that it does actually work, which opens up a lot more options even outside of Ornate Bow. I fully expect Haste to be put on the Taboo list at some point, but I also never follow it so :shrug:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I guess that’s cool but I don’t think I can put it in my Rita deck anyway.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A couple more cards spoiled by a fan Youtube.

MAF is only one more XP than Charisma and I don't see the restriction being too bad since you can still use your base ally slot for soak as long as it's non-Miskatonic. I just checked and almost all Seeker allies actually are Miskatonic (notably Mr Rook is not). I guess you can use out of faction allies, but I feel like Seeker generally doesn't run non-Seeker allies so maybe it is something to consider.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kalko posted:

A couple more cards spoiled by a fan Youtube.

MAF is only one more XP than Charisma and I don't see the restriction being too bad since you can still use your base ally slot for soak as long as it's non-Miskatonic. I just checked and almost all Seeker allies actually are Miskatonic (notably Mr Rook is not). I guess you can use out of faction allies, but I feel like Seeker generally doesn't run non-Seeker allies so maybe it is something to consider.

If that's the rough quality of the remainder of the cards in the standalone they're gonna be pretty good decks right out the back. Not to mention the seeker's pretty good as is. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long :(

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
An Innsmouth Conspiracy preview article is up. Sister Mary and Silas Marsh confirmed to be in this expansion.

The Bless/Curse tokens that go into the chaos bag are interesting and honestly make me wish they'd done something similar in previous expansions. Messing with the chaos bag in various ways is one of the most interesting things about the Arkham LCG. On the flip side, I'd worry there won't be enough support for Bless/Curse since it's only just coming out in this cycle, so it may dominate the player cards and make for a lackluster archetype that doesn't get enough support until way later. Either that or we won't get enough player cards outside of Bless/Curse.

Also confirmed that it's a full cycle of deluxe + 6 packs again. I was expecting something slightly different since they were hyping up this one up as being a different kind of cycle, but I'm cool with another 6+ months of releases.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That book seller looks like Daisy is moving up to top tier again.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Innsmouth cards from the live stream showing a taste of the new token support.

Amanda Sharpe is the Seeker and I don't know what to make of her because I don't play a lot of Seeker, but I feel like she'll be capable of some Mandy-level bomb turns while also having a harder than usual time dealing with enemies. Feels like the variance will be high but I'm sure she'll get particular card support throughout the cycle, as usual.

edit : According to Reddit they confirmed on stream that the remaining investigators are Dexter Drake and Trish Scarborough (hinted at Rogue/Seeker). Set for release in October, which is so far away, but not too surprising.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 1, 2020

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Golden Bee posted:

That book seller looks like Daisy is moving up to top tier again.

Book seller?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Seeker ally from the new standalone Seeker deck

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

From the upcoming Survivor starter deck :

The times I've played Survivor I tend to only spend XP on exile cards in the last couple of scenarios. The more I think about this card the more I like it.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Kalko posted:

From the upcoming Survivor starter deck :

The times I've played Survivor I tend to only spend XP on exile cards in the last couple of scenarios. The more I think about this card the more I like it.

Could this make Fire Extinguisher viable?

No.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Alternate investigator on the FFG site, but it's only print and play. I really don't like this - I wish it was at least a FFG print on demand thing. Don't really like the blue highlight either.

Ever since they started printing alternate signatures and weaknesses with the novellas I had hoped they'd release some for the original investigators if only so that Agnes could actually have a playable signature. I guess upgraded signatures (and corresponding weaknesses) are alright.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I do like the investigator-centric scenario though to go along with the parallel investigators. Though what kind of cadence will there be for this and will they all be print and play?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kalko posted:

Alternate investigator on the FFG site, but it's only print and play. I really don't like this - I wish it was at least a FFG print on demand thing. Don't really like the blue highlight either.

Ever since they started printing alternate signatures and weaknesses with the novellas I had hoped they'd release some for the original investigators if only so that Agnes could actually have a playable signature. I guess upgraded signatures (and corresponding weaknesses) are alright.

The blue is so it's clearly distinguishable. Also you can choose to use either side, or both as alternates.

And what's wrong with print and play? It's free! Also since you choose either side it makes more sense to have the investigators print and play so you don't have to try cramming 2 cards into a sleeve (assuming you're sleeving your investigators)

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Quality matters! I can't get over using pieces of paper as cards - I've never even been able to play with proxies. I was glad when FFG switched its PoD stuff to a new printer as it was always kind of disappointing to play with some of the old Netrunner promo cards and LotR nightmare decks. The difference in card stock was really obvious and you could even tell through a sleeve.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Just slide an old crap magic card behind it and it’s all good.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kalko posted:

Quality matters! I can't get over using pieces of paper as cards - I've never even been able to play with proxies. I was glad when FFG switched its PoD stuff to a new printer as it was always kind of disappointing to play with some of the old Netrunner promo cards and LotR nightmare decks. The difference in card stock was really obvious and you could even tell through a sleeve.

Stalk out "local" (State/Country-level) groups on fb or whereever, people do professional prints of stuff like that at a reasonable price - the trick being, it has to be a bigger group of people going dutch to reach a sensible scale.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Old Swerdlow posted:

Just slide an old crap magic card behind it and it’s all good.

If you bought 2x cores you already got a bunch of duplicate Night of the Zealot cards.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My partner finally broke this out thanks to the covid, and we're having a good time even though neither of us are normally into card games. Are any of the modules especially good?

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Fuligin posted:

My partner finally broke this out thanks to the covid, and we're having a good time even though neither of us are normally into card games. Are any of the modules especially good?

I am not sure what exactly is available but you want a deluxe box and all of the packs in that cycle. You can do packs as standalone, but then you lose the growing your characters and the story aspect of the game. I like The Dunwich Legacy and its scenarios as the next step after the core set. The Dunwich cycle is more straightforward than the other sets and a fun way to learn the core mechanics of the game.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Two more cards from the upcoming Jacqueline Fine starter :

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
loving bananas and so pretty consistent with these starter decks.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Prescience with sacrifice is a very nice combo. Get paid multiple times for discarding the same cards.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Just finished my first campaign ever, using Skids and Daisy. Played with my wife and we both loved it!

We had a funny moment where we thought it was completely impossible to win because of the amounts of clues on the final map...only to realize after a half hour of scratching our heads and googling for solutions that we hadn’t turned the Ritual Site card over to the revealed side.

We got the R3 ending which I thought wasn’t so bad, considering my wife could NOT stop drawing tentacles from our chaos bowl.

sorry Lita but nobody asked you to show up in my house and then burn it down

I think most people do Dunwich next but the only full campaign I could find in stock was Forgotten Age, so I guess I’m doing that!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

TFA is a lot of fun. If you have tabletop simulator and can ask the right people on Discord, out of print games are still available. Do the right thing and buy them when they are back in stock though.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

It's been interesting to see a trend of threads on boardgamegeek trying to figure out if any full campaign sets (deluxe + 6) are still obtainable anywhere. Some people are going straight from Night of the Zealot to Forgotten Age on one core. At least they're a bit more forewarned than players when it first came out.

New product releases in the US:

Where the Gods Dwell (Dream-Eaters expansion #5) made it into general distribution.
FFG March 30 update indicated all new releases would be postponed through the end of April.

As of April 6 "In Production"
Barkham Horror: The Meddling of Meowlathotep - no release date noted
Weaver of the Cosmos yet (Dream-Eaters expansion #6) - release date June
The Blob That Ate Everything - release date July
Return to the Forgotten Age - release date August
5 Investigator Starter Decks - release date August

April 30 FFG announced The Innsmouth Conspiracy "to release early in the fourth quarter of 2020"

Books
6 novellas; 3 in stock, 2 out, 1 pre-order status
2 trilogies; (2 in / 1 out), and (1 in / 2 out)
2 standlones; 1 in stock; 1 out
artbook - 1 in stock

Playmats
5 models; 5 out of stock

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
For what it's worth, Weaver of the Cosmos is out now. My store (which is miraculously and annoyingly still open, but not to the public) got it in this week.

edit: Oh hey I forgot I set up shipping on everything. Have a link I guess?

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 16, 2020

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So I’ve got Dunwich Legacy + 1st 2 mythos and ALL of the TFA campaign.

I’m kind of torn between unlocking the cards the “right” way by starting with the Dunwich stuff, opening mythos packages as we get to them, and then saving our progress on the campaign sheet once we get to the end of the scenarios we have and then moving on to TFA with some different investigators or something; or just ripping all the Dunwich stuff I have open (not looking through the story, just grabbing assets and skills and events) and starting on TFA with that. After that, I guess we’d eventually come back to Dunwich when all the mythos sets are available again. Any thoughts?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I keep hearing about the universal popularity of Path to Carcosa but I'm genuinely curious about where that comes from. My wife and I recently wrapped up Forgotten Age and it was our favorite campaign so far and we both kinda hated Carcosa. Were there just a lot of people who really liked the game trying to be "clever" instead of fun? I distinctly remember sometime around being chased around Paris by the Hitcher from the Mighty Boosh saying "when this is all over we're going to wake up at the end of the play from the beginning and I'm going to be pissed."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Sure, the story had some cliche elements, but, y'know, at least they're good wholesome cosmic horror cliches that were established by HP Lovecraft and his influences/imitators. But what really shines about it, in my opinion, is the scenario/campaign game design. I like how the Doubt/Conviction thing works; I've played it through a couple times with different groups and enjoyed the different ways that it affects the story. I also like how the chaos bag tokens swap around depending on your choices. And the scenarios themselves were all pretty good, in my opinion.

Also, while most of the "clever" bits aren't ultimately that clever, especially if you have a good familiarity with the genre, there was one I really enjoyed (spoilers for the second scenario of Carcosa): https://arkhamdb.com/card/03064

The Forgotten Age also has a pretty cliche story, especially when it comes to the ending (although I'm a sucker for time travel so I liked it anyway). And the scenario design is brutal as heck. It's easily the hardest campaign, and in many instances, is hard in lovely ways. The "supplies" mechanic is incredibly stupid, in my opinion. You aren't allowed to bring nearly as much stuff as any sane archeological explorer would (like how much can a blanket, a compass, a rope, a canteen, torches, and a piece of loving chalk cost? answer: each one of those costs at least 2 supply points, and you only get 4 points in a 4-player game. Plus you gotta buy food and medicine). And then when you're punished for not bringing certain things, the punishments feel arbitrary. Ultimately none of the punishes are that bad, but the fact that they're "avoidable" makes them unfun.

Another thing that annoys me is how much the scenarios seem designed around being easier for the investigators that came in the TFA box (specifically with regards to being good at evasion to avoid Vengeance); for the first time I played through it that was fine because at least some of us wanted to play The New poo poo, but later on when I revisited it with a different group, it felt like we would be massively handicapped if we built our decks generically, without thinking about the scenario designs we were about to go up against.

Still enjoyed it; this game is great. But I definitely preferred Carcosa. Circle Undone is my current favorite, though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Currently playing TCU with gf as Diana and myself as Joe Diamond.

We got our asses kicked by the witch spirit in The Secret Name, and so we're okay taking the loss since her doom on her became untenable.

However the Wages of Sin's massive amount of loving witches in the encounter deck is just crazy and is just pushing our poo poo in even more.

Jesus gently caress this poo poo is hard.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’ve heard TCU is the hardest.

I did TFA with Sefina and elusive allowed me to skip the entire second half of the scenario, which was funny.

Really don’t wanna wait till August to get my full Nathan deck. I played through carc again with Nathan and my partner switching between Jenny Daisy and Rex. (When Daisy gets a lot of XP to play her library assistant and an advanced book, wow.)

Black stars rise, the penultimate adventure from Carc, doesn’t say in either Act how to finish the scenario. I’ve played it twice and don’t know if I legally beat it either time.

Maybe I’m getting too good for standard but the one guardian/one seeker combo is hard to beat. If you can kill and get clues, everything else falls by the wayside.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Black stars rise, the penultimate adventure from Carc, doesn’t say in either Act how to finish the scenario. I’ve played it twice and don’t know if I legally beat it either time.

Are you missing some cards or something? Both Act 3A and Act 3C have a simple objective on the front that tells you when to advance them. Then the back of each just tells you to read a resolution, same as any other scenario.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Realized today that you can't commit Willpower icons to tests for Read the Signs, Spectral Razor, and Ethereal Form. Are you still able to boost your Willpower with things like Arcane Studies for those cards?

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
I’m surprised there’s not more chat traffic on this game, given its popularity. Where does heavy online chat about this game occur? Reddit/Facebook/Discord?

I’m thinking of getting Ultimate Guard Arkhive 400 storage boxes so I can store and access each cycle separately. Without needing to wait for Return To boxes to release. I saw on a blog that some LOTR LCG players were able to thematically match each cycle to a different color for recognition purposes (e.g. Mirkwood = green, Numenor = white, etc.)

What do you guys think appropriate colors for Arkham cycles would be?

Going off of box graphic design color:

Zealot: blue
Dunwich: green
Carcosa: this is where it gets interesting... the box graphic design is purple, but there are a lot of other purple cycles. So maybe yellow (amber) would be more appropriate?
Circle: no clue here. black, grey, or brown?
Eaters: purple or pink?
Innsmouth: petrol
Standalones: no clue either

What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Carc yellow definitely.
I was playing with the tabletop version so maybe those were missing the clues? They just said skip to the agenda.