Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Ayyyyy! :hfive:

I'm so on board for this, I have no faith we're gonna get it but my God I would be so happy!

I've seen hot takes of people complaining about the "let's go shopping" scene as some out-of-nowhere shipper pandering scene. Some folks just have bad and wrong opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
My nuclear-hot take on the plot is that they're not gonna kill Aeris this time around - that was the whole point of getting rid of destiny ghosts. Might give a psych-out (like they did with Biggs) but she'll come back at or before the ending.

Gameplay-wise, is there something you can do with the automated shop in Wall Market? In the OG you could do some stuff to get it to work but I haven't figured anything out for this one.

e: VVV Well then I'll stop banging my head against it.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 1, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SubponticatePoster posted:

My nuclear-hot take on the plot is that they're not gonna kill Aeris this time around - that was the whole point of getting rid of destiny ghosts. Might give a psych-out (like they did with Biggs) but she'll come back at or before the ending.

Gameplay-wise, is there something you can do with the automated shop in Wall Market? In the OG you could do some stuff to get it to work but I haven't figured anything out for this one.

In the OG you got Tifa’s ultimate weapon there when you return to Midgar. I think in the Remake it’s just an Easter egg.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I've seen hot takes of people complaining about the "let's go shopping" scene as some out-of-nowhere shipper pandering scene. Some folks just have bad and wrong opinions.

Nah she still dies. She realizes that the killing of the whispers was actually part of Sephiroth's plan all along to keep her from joining with the lifestream to stop him. The fun part is her having to convince the rest of the party that it's absolutely necessary for them to defeat him.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Nah she still dies. She realizes that the killing of the whispers was actually part of Sephiroth's plan all along to keep her from joining with the lifestream to stop him. The fun part is her having to convince the rest of the party that it's absolutely necessary for them to defeat him.

Kind of defeats the point of her death in the first place tbh

Jimbot posted:

This poo poo is right up there with folks who moan about how the localization isn't a 100% verbatim translation of the Japanese and how english voice actors just can't recreate the "nuance".

night slime
May 14, 2014
What was the black shaking when Marlene hugged Aerith supposed to be? I'm guessing you're not supposed to know yet since Marlene only mentions it cryptically later?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

night slime posted:

What was the black shaking when Marlene hugged Aerith supposed to be? I'm guessing you're not supposed to know yet since Marlene only mentions it cryptically later?

aeris did something similar when she calmed down red xiii

my guess is that she's zapping them with a limited knowledge of future events to reassure them that everything will be okay/they can trust her and her allies

i guess red didn't get the bit where cloud kicks a soccer ball at him for twenty consecutive minutes

night slime
May 14, 2014
Maybe she made him like soccer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's nothing in the rulebook that says a magical flaming catdog can't etc etc

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

there's nothing in the rulebook that says a magical flaming catdog can't etc etc

I''m calling your bluff, I don't think you've ever actually read the rulebook!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Ayyyyy! :hfive:

I'm so on board for this, I have no faith we're gonna get it but my God I would be so happy!

it took Cloud like four times to understand that Aerith wanted a high five while Tifa got it first try, js

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

morallyobjected posted:

it took Cloud like four times to understand that Aerith wanted a high five while Tifa got it first try, js

:hai:
The Aeifa theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQALX7twYE

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oxxidation posted:

aeris did something similar when she calmed down red xiii

my guess is that she's zapping them with a limited knowledge of future events to reassure them that everything will be okay/they can trust her and her allies

i guess red didn't get the bit where cloud kicks a soccer ball at him for twenty consecutive minutes

Yeah Red XIII says he saw a bit of the future when she zapped him. That said I think there might be something going on with Marlene given the ending. Maybe it’ll turn out her mother had a Cetra ancestor or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a fan of the "Marlene's a secret Cetra" theory myself.

Did Aerith only ever do that zap thing with Marlene and Red XIII because they were the only characters she needed to calm down in a hurry? Maybe. Or did she do it because they're also Close To The Planet like she is??? makes u think

chandler55
May 1, 2020

Harrow posted:

Did Aerith only ever do that zap thing with Marlene and Red XIII because they were the only characters she needed to calm down in a hurry? Maybe. Or did she do it because they're also Close To The Planet like she is??? makes u think

Im a fan too. in the original ending you see Marlene sense Aerith when the lifestream is summoned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Dqy2jVqY0&t=290s

(also hi im new here I thought SA had good discussion about ff7 remake so i registered)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

chandler55 posted:

Im a fan too. in the original ending you see Marlene sense Aerith when the lifestream is summoned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Dqy2jVqY0&t=290s

(also hi im new here I thought SA had good discussion about ff7 remake so i registered)

Very interesting! I think I'm starting to believe this myself. Also, welcome!
I think Aeris will die. I think we'll have a fakeout where she survives her original death scene, but poo poo's gonna get even worse from there. I think Sephiroth will avoid messing with her, considering it was partially his undoing last time. So we have three ways that this can progress, I think:
- The party prevents Sephiroth from acquiring the Black Materia (not gonna happen for dramatic purposes)
- Sephiroth summons Meteor, Aeris is alive, and they figure out another way to stop it.
- Sephiroth summons Meteor, Aeris is alive, and for whatever reason she has to engineer her own death. Last Temptation poo poo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beefstew posted:

I think Aeris will die. I think we'll have a fakeout where she survives her original death scene, but poo poo's gonna get even worse from there. I think Sephiroth will avoid messing with her, considering it was partially his undoing last time. So we have three ways that this can progress, I think:
- The party prevents Sephiroth from acquiring the Black Materia (not gonna happen for dramatic purposes)
- Sephiroth summons Meteor, Aeris is alive, and they figure out another way to stop it.
- Sephiroth summons Meteor, Aeris is alive, and for whatever reason she has to engineer her own death. Last Temptation poo poo.

Prefer the middle one tbh.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Aerith tries to engineer her own death because she thinks she has to but the group convinces her not to and it's very emotional and touching and anime as gently caress. :thunk:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BaDandy posted:

Aerith tries to engineer her own death because she thinks she has to but the group convinces her not to and it's very emotional and touching and anime as gently caress. :thunk:

The power of friendship is more powerful than the power of sacrifice.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
And then Tifa and Aerith

KISS

We're at thinking levels that shouldn't be possible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beefstew posted:

-Aerith summons Meteor after Cloud runs off with Sephiroth Roche.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1252014813477244932

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

-Aerith summons Meteor after Cloud runs off with Sephiroth Roche.

Why would she when Tifa's like RIGHT THERE and ready for smoochin'?

BaDandy posted:

YES. YOU GET IT. :hmmyes: BaDandy is bringing in the big brain energy today.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Harrow posted:

In the original she feels Aerith and the lifestream during the ending.

In AC all the children get the geostigma, except her, and remains unaffected even when all the kids dip in Kadaj's bath waters and get mind controlled.

Then near the end of AC when Cloud is having his anime fight vs Sephiroth she feels Aerith again.

Now in 7R she sees something when hugging Aerith and the latter tells her to keep it a secret. When she is later talking with Barret she says "that flower girl, she was kinda..." and stops. Then finally at the ending when Barret is calling out to her from the edge of Midgar, she hears him.

Marlene is all but confirmed to be a secret Cetra at this point.

RatHat posted:

That said I think there might be something going on with Marlene given the ending. Maybe it’ll turn out her mother had a Cetra ancestor or something.

There might actually be some stuff in the original that in hindsight could be interpreted as Dyne actually being a secret Cetra.

He was the first to oppose Shinra building a mako reactor in Corel, maybe he knew what mako really was?

Plus when Barret meets him in the desert prison he says something along the lines of "my dead wife is telling me not to kill you" and "i need to kill Marlene so that we can all join her mother". Crazy talk, but maybe there was more to it?

I hope it's this and they go for it in part 2. Narratively it would draw some parallels to Sephiroth with Dyne's whole "I want to destroy the whole world" thing, and would also work as a foil to Aerith, him being driven mad by the voices of the planet and the world being general poo poo, and her embracing her Cetra ancestry as a gift and not a curse, which could then be tied with vvvvvvv

BaDandy posted:

Yeah, it's definitely this. That was the point of that whole scene where the whispers are surrounding Aerith and Tifa pulls her out and tells her they'll figure something out together.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 1, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
This time, Aerith lives, but meteor still arrives and holy can't stop it and oh no.....! Except then the lifestream appears, and as it rushes to save the planet, we see the smiling face of.... Dyne! Roll credits.

Epilogue: Aerith and Tifa kiss.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

In the original she feels Aerith and the lifestream during the ending.

In AC all the children get the geostigma, except her, and remains unaffected even when all the kids dip in Kadaj's bath waters and get mind controlled.

Then near the end of AC when Cloud is having his anime fight vs Sephiroth she feels Aerith again.

Now in 7R she sees something when hugging Aerith and the latter tells her to keep it a secret. When she is later talking with Barret she says "that flower girl, she was kinda..." and stops. Then finally at the ending when Barret is calling out to her from the edge of Midgar, she hears him.

Marlene is all but confirmed to be a secret Cetra at this point.

There might actually be some stuff in the original that in hindsight could be interpreted as Dyne actually being a secret Cetra.

He was the first to oppose Shinra building a mako reactor in Corel, maybe he knew what mako really was?

Plus when Barret meets him in the desert prison he says something along the lines of "my dead wife is telling me not to kill you" and "i need to kill Marlene so that we can all join her mother". Crazy talk, but maybe there was more to it?

I hope it's this and they go for it in part 2. Narratively it would draw some parallels to Sephiroth with Dyne's whole "I want to destroy the whole world" thing, and would also work as a foil to Aerith, him being driven mad by the voices of the planet and the world being general poo poo, and her embracing her Cetra ancestry as a gift and not a curse, which could then be tied with vvvvvvv

Yeah, it's definitely this. That was the point of that whole scene where the whispers are surrounding Aerith and Tifa pulls her out and tells her they'll figure something out together.

Also I kinda feel like the lesson Aerith learned at the end of part one was to stop being so fatalistic. Everything she does initially is done with the knowledge she's going to have to die for everyone. I feel like the whole point was breaking her out of this kind of linear thinking and how thrilling and terrifying that is. I dunno...I feel like it would be just a tad pissy to be like SIKE you can't defy fate after all! gently caress YOU SHE'S DEAD...AGAIN

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

YES. YOU GET IT. :hmmyes: BaDandy is bringing in the big brain energy today.

Are you ready for my big brain prediction about how Cloud and Sephiroth will go before I go to bed and forget I had the thought? Here it is.

Oh that...actually makes a ton of sense. drat. :o

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Schwartzcough posted:

Epilogue: Aerith and Tifa kiss.

The FFXIII ending but with Aerith and Tifa

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

lezard_valeth posted:

The FFXIII ending but with Aerith and Tifa

XV

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

The FFVIII ending but with Aerith and Tifa

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The part of Zell choking down hot dogs is played by Cid choking down tea.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Are you ready for my big brain prediction about how Cloud and Sephiroth will go before I go to bed and forget I had the thought? Here it is.

So you think Cloud is going to be so sick of Sephiroth's poo poo he's just going to be like "Nah fam I ain't feeling it" and Sephiroth will be so disheartened by Cloud's lack of response he gives up?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Agents are GO! posted:

I applaud how clean you kept that.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Only if he repeatedly punches the table while doing so.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Dyne for Shinra's Mako profits.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

I applaud how clean you kept that.

It was difficult.

Here's a question: does the internet exist in FF7 world? I'd assume so, everyone has smartphones. I know it explicitly existed in FF8 and FF13.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Agents are GO! posted:

It was difficult.

Here's a question: does the internet exist in FF7 world? I'd assume so, everyone has smartphones. I know it explicitly existed in FF8 and FF13.

It does, but only in Midgar and Meteor took it down.

It gets brought back up in Dirge of Cerberus, and it turns out Hojo uploaded his mind to it to hijack some other poor fool so he can keep doing mad science.

DoC is an incredibly stupid game.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

It does, but only in Midgar and Meteor took it down.

It gets brought back up in Dirge of Cerberus, and it turns out Hojo uploaded his mind to it to hijack some other poor fool so he can keep doing mad science.

DoC is an incredibly stupid game.

Not even touching the wildly disgusting implications with Shelke.

Vincent does not and has never needed a permanently underage loli wife.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 1, 2020

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

it does but as far as I'm aware the only time it actually even gets mentioned in the original is when jessie says that she learned how to make bombs from the internet. in crisis core you have like, email and stuff, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Flopsy posted:

Not even touching the wildly disgusting implications with Shelve.

Vincent does not and has never needed a permanently underage loli wife.

Didn't he though? Really?