Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Dingleberry posted:

I dunno, if i was some E-3 on a .50, I might just start shooting, I mean can’t go on liberty anyways, and Donnie intervened in a war crime trial...

Plus you get a free ride on the Republican grift train afterwards! Enjoy spending the next year of your life calling the rest of your crew cowards who are afraid to fight the enemy on Fox, Rush, and whatever else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Better war crime fast, the RUSH train is going to leave the station forever pretty soon!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dorstein posted:

Plus you get a free ride on the Republican grift train afterwards! Enjoy spending the next year of your life calling the rest of your crew cowards who are afraid to fight the enemy on Fox, Rush, and whatever else.

Probably a house seat in some red state in it for you

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

"Doctors of Education, Sport and Economic Sciences have a symbol with a flame, oil lamp, and a circle made up of rays of light."

:yikes: all I see is the WTC, a dick, and some SS runes

I also see a demonic summoning circle made out of fingerbones.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I’m all for making higher education a bit metal.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1255543666577375232?s=20

DJT knows Navy policy: STEM only, no liberal arts

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GODDAMN IT DO THE EASY THING

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seriously of all the times to say it wasn’t his call he didn’t approve it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If only CAPT Crozier had brutally murdered helpless Arab women and children, only THEN could he MAGA this one

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
noted extremely wordy man hemingway

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I need a news source on this so I can pump it on my FB wall. loving shameful.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

shovelbum posted:

lol

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

shovelbum posted:

Right? Of all of the verbose authors he could have pulled from. The only thing I can think of is Trump thinking "The Old Man and the Sea" was a long book or something.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
https://news.usni.org/2020/04/30/fincantieri-wins-795m-contract-for-navy-frigate-program

Hell yes. This is very good news for me, personally, but also I felt the fremm was the best option.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That does sound like a suspiciously good decision. Eager to see how the navy manages to gently caress it up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That does sound like a suspiciously good decision. Eager to see how the navy Trump manages to gently caress it up.

"Why is an ITALYAN company building ships for the YOU...ESS Navy? We build big beautiful tremendous ships out of ~American~ steel here in America, last I checked." :smugdon:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I was stationed in Naples and I don't trust the Italians to build anything more complicated than a five-course Sunday dinner

They'd do a bang up job on that, though

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fincantieri, which will build its frigate at its Marinette Marine shipyard in Wisconsin,

Seems solid but it’s a win for a Blue State....

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Fincanterri are one of the best shipbuilders on the planet right now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That does sound like a suspiciously good decision. Eager to see how the navy manages to gently caress it up.

By not melting down the LCS fleet to build them.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Fincantieri, which will build its frigate at its Marinette Marine shipyard in Wisconsin,

Seems solid but it’s a win for a Blue State....

Wisconsin is extremely purple

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Wisconsin is extremely purple

Well here’s hoping that’s enough and trump won’t torpedo it out of spite.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Fincanterri are one of the best shipbuilders on the planet right now.

Yes, but unfortunately President Soundbite doesn't like things that can't be easily pronounciatable. :downs:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Good that the Navy will have a replacement for the OHP

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I'm amazed they actually picked the reasonable small boy design. Good job Fincantieri lobbyists!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Eager to see how the navy manages to gently caress it up.

Personally, I think it was when we emphasized survivability over lethality and got bigger than an LCS instead of smaller.

quote:

Under the contract, the Navy has rights to the technical data package for the ship and could compete the program down the road.
If this is true across levels (i.e. not just the hull, but engineering and combat systems) then this might be exactly what we need and I'll be bullish.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

piL posted:

Personally, I think it was when we emphasized survivability over lethality and got bigger than an LCS instead of smaller.
If this is true across levels (i.e. not just the hull, but engineering and combat systems) then this might be exactly what we need and I'll be bullish.

Dont feel great. In that article it talks about how the navy needs a faster more lethal version of the lcs as well.

Lol.

I would expect them to spin up another yard with these after 4 or so have been delivered though.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Dorstein posted:

I'm amazed they actually picked the reasonable small boy design. Good job Fincantieri lobbyists!

It's 3/4 the weight and 50 ft short of burke.

Seems pretty big no?

piL posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFG(X)#/media/File:Proposed_Government_Furnished_Equipment_for_FFG(X).png

I have a hard time seeing how the requirement for mk 41 32 VLS, 8 (16 objective) NSMs and spare power for a 150kw laser would fit in a smaller platform than the LCS. Also, these requirements seem quite a bit more lethal than either the LCS or the "up-gunned" LCS that was discussed for some time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Does the NSM have a tri-service number? RGM-something? Or have we just ditched that system entirely?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

TCD posted:

Seems pretty big no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFG(X)#/media/File:Proposed_Government_Furnished_Equipment_for_FFG(X).png

I have a hard time seeing how the requirement for mk 41 32 VLS, 8 (16 objective) NSMs and spare power for a 150kw laser would fit in a smaller platform than the LCS. Also, these requirements seem quite a bit more lethal than either the LCS or the "up-gunned" LCS that was discussed for some time.

The FFGX will be leagues more capable than an LCS. I work on the CS side of the house so that's what I mostly care about and am super hype to soon be back working on an actual surface combatant, but the engineering plant not being an enormous mess is also going to be fantastic.

Not to mention a proper training pipeline since everythings more or less program of record GFE!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Madurai posted:

Does the NSM have a tri-service number? RGM-something? Or have we just ditched that system entirely?

Google says
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2019/10/nsm-naval-strike-missile-now-has-a-u-s-navy-designation/

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

TCD posted:

Seems pretty big no?

That is ..............a lot of stuff to put on something smaller than a DDG.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That is ..............a lot of stuff to put on something smaller than a DDG.

Welcome to every other semi-modern fleet in the world. Aussie Perry class FFGs are armed to the loving teeth even compared to when ours still had the one-armed bandit. This thing is basically equivalent to the German Braunschweig Corvettes with a VLS system installed which isn't a stretch.

On another note, I got my ORDMOD. Looking like I'm heading to ECRC in a week and staying there an extra week. >_>

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

TCD posted:

Seems pretty big no?

For sure. But I also think there's room for a 4-cell VLS launcher and 4 NSMs with an outboard motor and Cooperative Engagement Capability.

I think the frigate will be a powerful new platform, and valuable to the Navy. But, I think operating cost will end up being 80% of a DDG and so we're just saving money on construction/encouraging additional construction. I think stuff being GFE will be a supply godsend. This is still good news.

But a pack of ten PLAN Type 22s has more missiles, cost 300million less to buy and 60 less personnel to operate than one of these, and we will not commit to that end of the spectrum because it doesn't have strike/asw/miw/amw/aviation/hadr capabilities.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Sure, it's big. Sure it's expensive. That's the American Way now!

At least it'll be able to Do Stuff! And when the planning failures inevitably come, it'll have a fighting chance; being able to contribute in missions where the LCS is mostly just a target with poor survivability.

... suddenly I wonder about the FREMM med bay.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I would've thought as a giant navy the US could build really specialized ships instead of multipurpose ones

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Well, that was the LCS plan, right?

We saw how that worked out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They tried a specialized ship and then designed it by committee

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Modularity with regards to weapons platforms just means a multiplicative amount of spending is necessary to maintain and equip said modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Modularity with regards to weapons platforms just means a multiplicative amount of spending is necessary to maintain and equip said modules.

Unless you design said module functionality in advance and with exact focus on them not becoming a feature creep. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/StanFlex the danes had some success with this by not trying to sell it as a panacea But a limited modularity.