Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
How do serums work? Is it that you only get a limited number of them dropping, or you can only use a certain number per character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Black Rabite trip report:

Sacrifice Part 2 really had me expecting a second life bar and Sacrifice Part 3. Well, that wasn't so bad then. Shadow Angela was harder. Both of them have an I dare say Soulsborne sort of feel to them where you have to learn the openings, (lenient) dodge timings, and spacing management strategies so as not to get pasted.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So how do I get the Ultimate weapons? I am already class 4, but I'm using gold and rainbow seeds and still getting class 3 weapons and armor

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I think I'm going to go Hawkeye/Riesz/Angela and just deal with not having healing, it's cool, I'm sure it'll be fine

Any tips on class paths? I'm planning to go light for Riesz for the HP restore passive and buffs, but I don't know what's going to be the most fun for Hawkeye and Angela. Ninja Master and Grand Diviner seem popular? How are Hawkeye's light classes this time around (or would they not really offer much to this party in particular)?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Harrow posted:

Okay, I think I'm going to go Hawkeye/Riesz/Angela and just deal with not having healing, it's cool, I'm sure it'll be fine

Any tips on class paths? I'm planning to go light for Riesz for the HP restore passive and buffs, but I don't know what's going to be the most fun for Hawkeye and Angela. Ninja Master and Grand Diviner seem popular? How are Hawkeye's light classes this time around (or would they not really offer much to this party in particular)?

If you're planning on making Riesz go Light, then just have Hawkeye go dark, and vice versa. They still have the skill overlap just like they did in the original if you have them both go light or dark.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I enjoyed Ninja Blade Hawkeye because with several skills he could just mash Triangle/Charge attack and instantly delete every non-boss enemy and then poo poo debuffs onto any boss enemy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, I didn't realize Riesz and Hawkeye had skill overlap. That makes it easy, dark Hawkeye it is. I can decide between Ninja Master and Nightblade when I get there, I guess.

What about Angela? All I know is that she's ridiculously powerful, but are there any classes that are better or cooler than others for her?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

LD Riesz for buffs, DL Hawk for debuffs. For Angela, either LL for Lucent Beam+ spam, or DD for Wound Magic and Ancient Curse.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s 2020 why aren’t these credits skippable?

Please tell me they are skippable on repeat playthroughs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

lezard_valeth posted:

So how do I get the Ultimate weapons? I am already class 4, but I'm using gold and rainbow seeds and still getting class 3 weapons and armor
Rainbow Seeds only. Might need to be a high enough level to have them in the drop pool too.

gandlethorpe posted:

How do serums work? Is it that you only get a limited number of them dropping, or you can only use a certain number per character?
Nobody knows yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was limited drop.

Phayray posted:

Can anyone confirm this? From the previous posts on this topic, it sounded like you had to plant all 6 at once to guarantee no duplicates. I was dumb and turned in the first one I got, but luckily got Necro for Charlotte. Now I'm sitting on 2 or 3 and trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or wait until I've got 6.
Dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if there was RNG proofing for them but we don't know when or if that proofing happens. There's plenty of cases of everyone getting all possible combinations in their first 6, and plenty where they got duplicates and had to grind/find more.

The thing is (from what I've seen) that you shouldn't get a class item you can't use (IE, you get a Light/Light item for a character you've gone Dark with.) So you should definitely be able to class up no matter your RNG.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s 2020 why aren’t these credits skippable?

Please tell me they are skippable on repeat playthroughs.
They're not, unfortunately. It's the one thing in the game that isn't skippable.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 1, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Harrow posted:

What about Angela? All I know is that she's ridiculously powerful, but are there any classes that are better or cooler than others for her?

All her final classes are pretty good and distinct.

Grand Divina - regains MP after fights, geared toward fighting non-bosses
Archmage - buffs when spamming the same element, geared towards fighting bosses
Rune Seer - only class that gets level 3 elemental spells
Magus - meteor shower is OP, skimpiest armor

The light T3 classes are more similar to each other than the dark ones, but more distinct than they were in the original. Going light also is more interesting in the mid game because she learns most of her spells at this point. The dark T2 class doesn't learn much, but the T3 dark classes are worth the wait.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

Rainbow Seeds only. Might need to be a high enough level to have them in the drop pool too.

Aw ok, I'm level 70.

Also JESUS CHRIST Kevin's Payback skills stack :vince:. Annihilator with all 3 equipped, Riesz feeding him the cactus 200% CS at the beggining of battle and all random encounters are trivialised with a Suzaku Aerial :hellyeah:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's not a direct 1:1 skill wise, but Light Hawkeye and Riesz are both heavily buff focussed while Dark Hawkeye and Riesz are debuffers.

Ninja Master's multitarget skills are nothing to sneeze at but I think Nightblade is the more fun of the two.

Nightblade brings three big things to the table: a 10% chance to instantly kill anything with a status effect each time he smacks it, a massive damage bonus against anything with a status effect, and three or four ways to poison everything. And that's on top of his debuffs. Hawkeye is a monster.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

lezard_valeth posted:

Aw ok, I'm level 70.

Also JESUS CHRIST Kevin's Payback skills stack :vince:. Annihilator with all 3 equipped, Riesz feeding him the cactus 200% CS at the beggining of battle and all random encounters are trivialised with a Suzaku Aerial :hellyeah:

You barely need the Cactus skill if you throw in Victory and/or Damage boost.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You need the cactus skill and ring if you want to 1-button press every encounter in the post game dungeon that way :getin:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

Aw ok, I'm level 70.

Wait 'til you see his final dark CS

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Is Anise's dungeon one of those dungeons where there is only 1 save point at the start?

gandlethorpe posted:

Wait 'til you see his final dark CS

I got it, it's amazing looking, but Suzaku Aerial is more practical for trash mob aoe

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm just saying, that's what I've been doing and I have certainly not found many cacti.

edit: seriously though, is there anything to spend all this loving money on? I have half a million lucre.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 1, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

YggiDee posted:

edit: seriously though, is there anything to spend all this loving money on? I have half a million lucre.

Wouldn't be a Mana game if the main currency didn't become completely irrelevant 30% into the game

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
And the cactus keeps giving me discounts! I can't even use this money on naps!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

Is Anise's dungeon one of those dungeons where there is only 1 save point at the start?

There are several save points throughout, plus two shortcuts back to the start.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lots of wares to browse!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lmao at Angela’s post-game trial

gently caress this battle

Edit: drat that was some poo poo but did it. Nice to have some real difficulty!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 1, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How many hours are most people ending their first playthrough on? Is there any point to exploring maps beyond getting the lil Cactus and a few treasure chests with items from most stores?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Any issues with the PC port? I feel like I am on the edge of pulling the trigger

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Spacebump posted:

How many hours are most people ending their first playthrough on? Is there any point to exploring maps beyond getting the lil Cactus and a few treasure chests with items from most stores?

I was in the late 20s in my playthrough, but I got every treasure chest and all the Lil Cactus spawns. The treasure chests were very, very rarely worth seeking out for the random weapons a tier ahead of what current stores sell.

I also left the game running while doing stuff around the house. So feel free to subtract however many hours from my total.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Any issues with the PC port? I feel like I am on the edge of pulling the trigger

I had none whatsoever. Buy now, regret never.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

DoubleNegative posted:

I was in the late 20s in my playthrough, but I got every treasure chest and all the Lil Cactus spawns. The treasure chests were very, very rarely worth seeking out for the random weapons a tier ahead of what current stores sell.

I also left the game running while doing stuff around the house. So feel free to subtract however many hours from my total.

I was at about 24ish hours on my first playthrough, but 4 or 5 of those were when I left the game idle.

I think I'm at around 48ish hours now and about almost a third of the way through my third playthrough of the game. That 300% XP chain ability helps a lot on subsequent plays.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I finished everything including postgame (Anise, Black Rabite) at about 22 hours.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You get the individual story trophies for whichever characters are in your party when you beat the game, I just found out when I beat the game. So you only have to play through the game three times for platinum! Not too bad all things considered, since each playthrough would have a different main antagonist and end boss.

I’m definitely gonna do it. I just gotta decide how I want to do my next playthrough with Kevin/Charlotte/Riesz...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lezard_valeth posted:

No, there are a couple of other statues along the way, and warps back to the front (which become two-way) at the end and the "halfway" point. That first warp though feels like a LONG way in for a midpoint.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So to get all the cheevos you need to beat the game three times and pick as your main character one of the following pairings each time since they share a final boss?

Angela/Duran
Riesz/Hawkeye
Charlotte/Kevin

Am I right?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

jokes posted:

So to get all the cheevos you need to beat the game three times and pick as your main character one of the following pairings each time since they share a final boss?

Angela/Duran
Riesz/Hawkeye
Charlotte/Kevin

Am I right?

I don't think you need the pairing, just any of the 2 as a main character. But yes, minimum for all cheevos is 3 runs of any of those as MC

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just suddenly got the meta achievement for getting all the achievements... without having gotten all of the achievements.

:confused:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Alright, I don't know if anyone has cracked the code and figured it out, but from multiple resets I can tell that the pool each seed rolls from are kinda fixed and probably determined from the moment you get the seed.

I have 29 Rainbow Seeds I've been rerolling over and over like 20+ times, and the first 7 almost always result in Gigant Gloves-> Gigas Lance -> Fury Chocker -> Gigas Lance -> Gigant Glove->Guard Armor->Sigmund with some rolls sometimes resulting in a random consumable; seed 19 is either Oath Shield or Terrawax Shield; seed 20 almost always is Vedfolnir (Riesz dark class 4 weapon) or Ample Incense; seed 21 is almost always Lindform (Kevin's dark class 4 weapon) or a Luck Serum; seed 22 is Triumph Blade; and seed 29 is Flame Beads or Miracle Cookie.

So with that knowledge in mind, you can probably save scum a few times to figure what each seed position generally rolls for, then roll one by one to get the best roll out of each.

e: the first Rainbow Seeds I have are drawing from class 3 pool items because that's when I got them, and the first Rainbow Seed that gives me class 4 armor is for Kevin who was my first character that I got to class 4.

e2:repeteadly opening seed number 3, and getting Fury Choker consistently

e3: alright, made a chart to keep track, it seems each seed rolls between 3 different items, from the sample of 10 seeds i've been rerolling I got:

1 gigas lance
2 gigant glove/str serum/medical herb
3 Magic Elixir/guard armor
4 Sigmund/ample Incense
5 Nivel Ring/magic Elixir/faerie walnut
6 Ferocity Fang/imp eye
7 Miracle Cookie/Doyenne Armor/bumpkin
8 Nivel Ring
9 Oracle Helmet
10 Doyenne Armor

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 1, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So two things about ??? seeds I found tonight.

1) If you equip Lucky Find and Lucky Find II (+5% and +10% item drop rate) they become rather common drops from any enemy that drops them, I'm finding about 3 from drops in each Benevodon dungeon I do, plus the one from the chest (total of 11 seeds in 3 dungeons)

2) They can give you dupe class items if you've already class changed. I keep reading people say that they saved up 6 seeds and got 6 different class items - this probably works but is definitely not the case if you turn in one, then change to that class, then turn in more - I got two starlancer items this way. My first turn-in gave me starlancer and I changed to the class right away. My second turn-in was 5 seeds and gave me 4 new ones + a starlancer dupe.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 1, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm so glad they came up with a proper mechanic for getting through the Jungle of Illusions. I still don't know what you were supposed to do in the OG.

I just wish they had also come up with something for the statue blocking Mintas.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Wow the Anise time trial abilities and Black Bunny ability simply break this game over it's spine don't they?

Also I just remembered that Anise was also the final boss in Dawn of Mana, although I recall her being called Medusa in that game?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

lezard_valeth posted:

Wow the Anise time trial abilities and Black Bunny ability simply break this game over it's spine don't they?

Also I just remembered that Anise was also the final boss in Dawn of Mana, although I recall her being called Medusa in that game?

It's the same character. She's also in Heroes of Mana, apparently, and in first got mentioned in the lore of Legends of Mana. The names are used interchangeably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

So two things about ??? seeds I found tonight.

2) They can give you dupe class items if you've already class changed. I keep reading people say that they saved up 6 seeds and got 6 different class items - this probably works but is definitely not the case if you turn in one, then change to that class, then turn in more - I got two starlancer items this way. My first turn-in gave me starlancer and I changed to the class right away. My second turn-in was 5 seeds and gave me 4 new ones + a starlancer dupe.
They also dupe if your character's class changed before. I got through the latter chapters of Duran/Angela/Kevin and my first 4 seeds (I had 8 brought over with NG+) were one of each option for Duran/Angela, in order. Kevin got 2 dupes in the 6 pull I did (despite being on a different branch.)

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm so glad they came up with a proper mechanic for getting through the Jungle of Illusions. I still don't know what you were supposed to do in the OG.

I just wish they had also come up with something for the statue blocking Mintas.

The weird thing with Mintas and the Duskmoon Forest is that it's always dark there now. I remember in the original game that it went to a normal day/night cycle after plot events happened in it, but now it's just always dark. It would make a good grinding spot for Kevin parties if grinding XP were necessary :v: