Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, it turns monthly leases into a six month unbreakable* lease?

* severe hardship, notwithstanding.
Effectively, yes, unless both tenant and landlord agree. Given that rental market conditions are heading towards extra vacancies due to the AirBnB slumlords listing their properties for leases as well as people who will have to break a lease due to severe hardship (there's going to be quite a few of those).

What this means for landlords with vacant tenancies is that there is going to be a VERY limited demand for their property given the majority of people who would be moving right now cannot move right now, nor can they do so for six months.

The State Government is saying they will clarify this and make regulations that will more clearly state tenant rights and "to assure tenants that the new laws are not intended to reduce their rights to exit their tenancies in any way.". But I'm not exactly sure how the regulations could alter the legislation which is pretty clear cut and doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
The Omnibus act (s609(4)(d)) gives the Governor in Council (on advice from the Minister and with the Premier's consent) the power to make regulations, amongst other things, allowing tenants to not comply with certain parts of the amendments.

So they could say "tenants on month to month leases are exempt from the s545 provision that prohibits tenants from giving notice".

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bell jar posted:

Shorten will come back

BIIIILLLLLLL COME BACK BIIIIILLLL

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

The Before Times posted:

The Omnibus act (s609(4)(d)) gives the Governor in Council (on advice from the Minister and with the Premier's consent) the power to make regulations, amongst other things, allowing tenants to not comply with certain parts of the amendments.

So they could say "tenants on month to month leases are exempt from the s545 provision that prohibits tenants from giving notice".

wow. that's great.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

The Before Times posted:

I just found out that the tenants literally aren't allowed to give notice of intention to vacate under the changes to the Residential Tenancies Act (unless they can demonstrate severe hardship to VCAT or it's a family violence situation).

Unless I can get the landlord to consent to us vacating, we can't move to a place $600/month cheaper that we have been approved for.

e: I've emailed the real estate asking them to seek consent for us to move out. but I don't hold out any hope that we will get it.

I'm a bit confused about this - I gave my notice to vacate 2 weeks ago and we're on month to month in Vic? Maybe I got in just in time?

Our house build is nearly ready so we're moving into that whether it's finished or not!

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 30, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mr Chips posted:

OTOH, it's got plenty of flaws, like how it fucks the under 21s, casuals with <12 months continuous employment, people with multiple casual jobs, anyone employed in the higher education sector, and any small business struggling with cashflow that couldn't get a bridging loan before the first ATO payroll credits were available. Plus both it and the improved jobseeker payment would've done more good if they started weeks ago

All of that is true, but I'm not about to allow the perfect become the enemy of the good.

In my situation I went from a 6 figure income as a freelancer to $0 of income in 10 days flat. I was looking at the very real possibility of having to defer mortgage payments, sell equipment etc.

Of course things could be better, and it'd be great if more people could access more things - but it's made (or will make) an enormous impact on my family to keep us going, and for that I struggle to look a gift horse in the mouth.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Tomberforce posted:

I'm a bit confused about this - I gave my notice to vacate 2 weeks ago and we're on month to month in Vic? Maybe I got in just in time?

Our house build is nearly ready so we're moving into that whether it's finished or not!
It was backdated to March 29th, so unless the landlord agrees, nope.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

It could also be that your property manager/agent are just as confused about the new laws and are willing to let things slide for now or are just too lazy to push bask. I imagine things will get more concrete in the next couple of weeks as landlords start screaming about losing tenants.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

This poo poo is astonishing to me

We need to raise minimum wage to keep the economy going during these hard times!!!

...doesn't it then track that keeping it raised would also improve the economy during good times?

what? no. no i can't see how those two could be connected in any way

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The wording of "it's up to the government" belies that they will never form government so it will never be their decision.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
They did this messaging a lot immediately after losing the election. They basically threw up their hands and said "well, you didn't elect us so we can't possibly have any power over the centrelink rate"

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Twiggy done rorted the Commonwealth government. My charity bought $320 million of fake PPE that the feds will pay for.

quote:

Some of the Chinese medical equipment imported by mining billionaire Andrew Forrest is not suitable for hospital use in the fight against coronavirus.
Woop woop.

:china: :china: :china:

Turkey, Spain problems with fake ppe from China.

Czech Republic, Slovakia sending back fake PPE

New and Improved China PPE Scams

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
One thing the AliExpress thread has taught me is never buy the following from random Chinese vendors:

* Things that plug in to mains
* Things that plug into you
* PPE

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

norp posted:

One thing the AliExpress thread has taught me is never buy the following from random Chinese vendors:

* Things that plug in to mains
* Things that plug into you
* PPE

A good rule of thumb is that "if individual Chinese consumers won't buy it from Chinese vendors, don't buy it from Chinese vendors". It's like when your friend who works at a fast food chain tells you not to buy a certain dish/item.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

A good rule of thumb is that "if individual Chinese consumers won't buy it from Chinese vendors, don't buy it from Chinese vendors". It's like when your friend who works at a fast food chain tells you not to buy a certain dish/item.

But the Rooster Roll is so tasty

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

bell jar posted:

But the Rooster Roll is so tasty

mould spores do add a certain umami flavour

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CrazyTolradi posted:

I think having bought a house would make it pretty easily fall under the clause about financial hardship if forced to stay in the rental.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The Victorian Liberals all have terminal sky news after dark brainworms and it's honestly pretty funny to watch

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Victorian Liberals all have terminal sky news after dark brainworms and it's honestly pretty funny to watch

What do you mean by that? (I have neither watched Sky News after dark nor do I live in Victoria)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

froglet posted:

What do you mean by that? (I have neither watched Sky News after dark nor do I live in Victoria)

They are suffering massive relevance deprivation syndrome and have decided to go with culture war hot takes as a result.

Theyre all going completely off their nut because the deputy CHO compared coronavirus to captain cook, some of their most prominent (relative) MPs now whinging on twitter about why the premier wont address “the biggest issue of the day”.

They got resoundingly rejected at the last election because they went with an empty law and order campaign against a premier who got things done, and they appear to have learnt nothing from it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

froglet posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/premier-stands-by-besieged-deputy-chief-health-officer-over-tweet-20200501-p54oxb.html

Deputy chief health officer made a lovely analogy about Cook's settling of Australia to Covid.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

I think having bought a house would make it pretty easily fall under the clause about financial hardship if forced to stay in the rental.
Yeah, if you bought before the legislation, that'd be pretty reasonable to take to VCAT.

If you like, signed a new lease right now though and tried claiming paying two leases was severe hardship, I think VCAT would probably tell you you knew what you were doing.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Solemn Sloth posted:

They are suffering massive relevance deprivation syndrome and have decided to go with culture war hot takes as a result.

Theyre all going completely off their nut because the deputy CHO compared coronavirus to captain cook, some of their most prominent (relative) MPs now whinging on twitter about why the premier wont address “the biggest issue of the day”.

They got resoundingly rejected at the last election because they went with an empty law and order campaign against a premier who got things done, and they appear to have learnt nothing from it.

Can they really be accused of kicking this front of the kultcha wars off when they are responding to the performative wokeness of a public official? Seems like she voluntarily offered herself up as tribute with a dril tier take.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Quantum Shart posted:

Can they really be accused of kicking this front of the kultcha wars off when they are responding to the performative wokeness of a public official? Seems like she voluntarily offered herself up as tribute with a dril tier take.

Yeah, they absolutely can. We're in the middle of a pandemic and they are literally saying that tweets are the most important issue we are facing. I think you really need to consider proportionality of response here.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Expressing opinion on colonialism, fine.
Expressing it on public twitter from a non-anonymous account while being an important bureaucrat, risky but fine
Expressing it with an analogy to a pandemic you’re currently in as deputy chief health officer, loving stupid.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, they absolutely can. We're in the middle of a pandemic and they are literally saying that tweets are the most important issue we are facing. I think you really need to consider proportionality of response here.

I'm not calling for her firing so don't put that poo poo on me.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Quantum Shart posted:

the tweet wasn't the greatest idea but like

- it didn't contain anything inaccurate or untrue
- calling it performative wokeness is playing right into the hands of the conservative mouthpieces we're talking about.

public officials are required to be apolitical in the sense that they're not to be seen to favour one political party over another or criticising the policies of the government they serve.

the fact that giving your opinion that we perhaps shouldn't be celebrating an event that precipitated the deaths of many thousands of people by introduced disease (plus those killed by colonial genocide) is seen as inappropriately political by some isn't something that should cost the woman her job, or that she should be forced to retract. there's scope for her to be reprimanded in the sense that she should know that that sort of commentary will draw criticism of the Department/the office that she represents from political commentators...but that's about it tbh

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Quantum Shart posted:

I'm not calling for her firing so don't put that poo poo on me.

Where did I suggest you did? There's a world of difference between someone making a single tweet about colonialism vs a whole political party making it their #1 burning issue, assisted by the dregs of the media.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I thought it made sense since Europeans brought loving smallpox to Australia but whatever.

Some people are so loving precious of the reputation of bullshit British naval officers from hundreds of years ago.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Yeast posted:

Expressing it on public twitter from a non-anonymous account while being an important bureaucrat, risky but fine

Breach of the APS code of conduct, isn't it?

The tweet was dumb and inappropriate coming from a senior member of the public service, but the reaction to it is ridiculous.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

freebooter posted:

isn't she a state public servant? If state employed medical doctors start getting sacked for expressing opinions then you're going to blow up the public heath system in short order

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

freebooter posted:

The tweet was dumb and inappropriate coming from a senior member of the public service, but the reaction to it is ridiculous.

VPS code of conduct is a bit different.

quote:

When making a comment in a private capacity, public sector employees ensure their comments are not related to any government activity that they are involved in or connected with as a public sector employee and make it clear they are expressing their own view. They ensure personal comments do not compromise their capacity to perform their public sector role in an unbiased manner, and that their comments are not seen or perceived to be an official comment.

the only issue here is the extent to which her comments are connected with the government activity she is involved in, and that kinda depends on how you define "activity". talking generally about covid-19 in an historical context might be sufficiently connected with her job, but in my view it's only just.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ahh, got it. You'd think they learn.

In other news - I just got a call from the Red Cross Blood Service. Due to supply issues that may or may not have been caused by the current public health crisis, they had to cancel my plasma donation on the weekend because they've run out of a chemical that stops blood from clotting. They were asking donors to consider donating whole blood instead (maybe they have some way of collecting the plasma out of it after? Or maybe it's better than nothing?).

Really recommend healthy people roll up their sleeves and donate, especially since the whole social distancing thing means they've had to reduce the number of people they can bring in.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

what a pathetic thing to get upset over. Reminds me of the complete overreaction to the yassmin abdel-magied tweet a few years ago

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
With the way the thread is reacting you'd think she compared the virus to JBP's posts

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Before Times posted:

They did this messaging a lot immediately after losing the election. They basically threw up their hands and said "well, you didn't elect us so we can't possibly have any power over the centrelink rate"
The messaging of “we’ll review it” during the election was incredibly weak and contributed to their loss

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Endman posted:

I thought it made sense since Europeans brought loving smallpox to Australia but whatever.

Taking a global pandemic that has killed thousands of people and going "but colonialism was worse!" is absolutely a dopey culture wars take that doesn't materially address or remedy the awful disparity that affects indigenous Australians in any way even if it is 100% true. I'd expect it from a Jordies-tier internet-commentariat-wanker whose relevance is proportionate to the amount of outrage generated and not someone who is in a position to actually address that disparity like a senior health official.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Remember a couple of months ago when a member of the current government of Australia made a pro-genocide comment?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also i got my flu shot, got get your flu shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
why are you booing her, she's right