Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1255627841397493761

Can anyone explain what the reason for this is and what the effect of capping production could be

We have too much oil, but every producer wants every other producer to cut production, not them. If the RRC forces everyone to cut by X% then they have to and oil production will go down, otherwise production will go down naturally as oil exploration companies go bankrupt. So if you're in a relatively strong position compared to the other shitters out there, you absolutely do not want RRC forcing cuts on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It also takes money to cap wells for future use and spending money on that is something a business will not naturally choose to do

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

saintonan posted:

We have too much oil, but every producer wants every other producer to cut production, not them. If the RRC forces everyone to cut by X% then they have to and oil production will go down, otherwise production will go down naturally as oil exploration companies go bankrupt. So if you're in a relatively strong position compared to the other shitters out there, you absolutely do not want RRC forcing cuts on everyone.

Guess who has relatively strong positions, long term contracts or refineries to take their oil, and low debt loads to buy distressed smaller companies.

The next RRC meeting is May 5th, so there are going to be some fireworks from Sitton being pissed off at them abdicating why regulations were there in the first place and Christian and Craddick going "aww shucks, if they die, they die."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

A rare silver lining.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

banks! banks have been preparing to buy liquidating oil assets since 2 months ago

also maybe the RRC? i didn't know they could buy wells but they have the oil superpower 'round here

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Now's your chance to open a chain of drive through daiquiri places...

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

poemdexter posted:

Now's your chance to open a chain of drive through daiquiri places...

Jumping on the Open a Daiquri Shoppe train :zerg:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1255867678532739076

Oh word?

https://twitter.com/evan7257/status/1255525137153228804

Also for your pleasure

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 30, 2020

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Sacrificing the millennials to the football gods.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The last place I want to be during a fall Covid flareup is anywhere near a 100,000 person stadium.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 22, 2024

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I mean they'll either strictly limit the attendance at the games (which will cause near-riots) or they'll have no-attendance games but for TV money reasons every school will try to have football this fall; otherwise every other sport that isn't basketball will be at real risk of folding

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

fast cars loose anus posted:

I mean they'll either strictly limit the attendance at the games (which will cause near-riots) or they'll have no-attendance games but for TV money reasons every school will try to have football this fall; otherwise every other sport that isn't basketball will be at real risk of folding

I don't think you can possibly keep safe distancing at any of the SEC stadia, and no-attendance games create enough of a revenue loss that only the teams with big TV contracts will be able to afford to play their games. So maybe the five Power 5 conferences will do it, but all the mid and small colleges won't bother.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

poemdexter posted:

Sacrificing the millennials to the football gods.

They're mostly Zoomers at this point

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The big money model of college sports collapsing would be pretty rad

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

You’re right that they will try, but holding football would likely mean they will also have to bring back the student body in the fall, because having the players continue to play football while the students are at home would finally give lie to the whole “amateurism” charade. Which, I suspect, is why A&M is announcing prematurely that students will be back. And the fact that A&M is the first to announce this definitely has absolutely nothing to do with the combination of Jimbo Fisher’s insane megamillions guaranteed contract and A&M boosters being disproportionately hit by the cratering oil & gas market.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The big money model of college sports collapsing would be pretty rad

Hell yeah it would

e: or rather, keep the big money in it, just give a shitload more of it to the actual players

Texas Tribune posted:

“The social distancing in a 100,000-seat stadium ... that could be challenging,” A&M Athletics Director Ross Bjork said.
Ya think?

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 30, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Checked the DSHS covid dashboard to see what today's case growth looks like and while they've come out at noon like clockwork for weeks today, the day before we call off the lockdown, they're still not up :thunk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1255963617796685825

Open er up Greggy

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimVertuno/status/1255962922905452544

:thumbsup:

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 30, 2020

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

:iit:

Someone is hopefully yelling in the capitol about this, telling Abbott to reconsider.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm suddenly grateful all my family is in Illinois

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh man, Texas Tech is my Alma Mater. Trying either reduced seating or televised only games would cause riots. Red Raider football fans are loving mean.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

wolfs posted:

:iit:

Someone is hopefully yelling in the capitol about this, telling Abbott to reconsider.

Trump patted him on the head. There is no going back. Now we just wait a few weeks until Trump is yelling about how he told the states not to open up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The good news is that the feared "open up so you can kick people off UI" scheme isn't happening, it seems

https://twitter.com/ceproctor23/status/1255973259465699329

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
All real Aggies, by which I mean those who are not two percenters with no redass, will hold midnight yell, pack the stadium and kiss after touchdowns, etc. This is your duty Aggies and you must stand against the liberal know it alls and show them how true leaders act. #OpenUpA&M #Whoop(s)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

The good news is that the feared "open up so you can kick people off UI" scheme isn't happening, it seems

https://twitter.com/ceproctor23/status/1255973259465699329

For now, you know they want to do it though

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I teach at one of the A&M's, and the word we've gotten is that we should be open for Fall. HOWEVER, social distancing may require that some classes be online because we can't simply fit 50 students into a 50 capacity classroom and have them all sit six feet apart. What are we gonna do about it? Who knows!

There's basically no direction or certainty and take anything the schools say with a grain of salt.

All my Summer classes are online now and I expect some of my Fall classes will be too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah they wanted to repeal Obamacare too, but once people get benefits it's really hard to take them away. Impoverishing hundreds of thousands of Texans with a stroke of a pen is a pretty big electoral risk. This is why they are rushing to force open the economy somehow to avoid this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

heh

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JosefStalinator posted:

I teach at one of the A&M's, and the word we've gotten is that we should be open for Fall. HOWEVER, social distancing may require that some classes be online because we can't simply fit 50 students into a 50 capacity classroom and have them all sit six feet apart. What are we gonna do about it? Who knows!

There's basically no direction or certainty and take anything the schools say with a grain of salt.

All my Summer classes are online now and I expect some of my Fall classes will be too.

Watch this turn into they can only make a few offline classes work and coincidentally they all have a large amount of football players enrolled.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Underwater basketweaving does require a pool

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1256024286567059462

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Once again, the grey market eight liner industry benefits from its grey legal status. I'll eyeball tomorrow on my drive down Highway 6 to Galveston, but I'm almost sure they'll crank right back up. And, honestly, broader problem that solves itself there.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Watch this turn into they can only make a few offline classes work and coincidentally they all have a large amount of football players enrolled.

I'm blessed that my school has an oddly non-lovely football coach that actually holds his players accountable and reports his own players to title IX when they're shitheads. The only problem is that our title IX is even worse and doesn't actually act on anything (hopefully that's changing soon though).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Once again, the grey market eight liner industry benefits from its grey legal status. I'll eyeball tomorrow on my drive down Highway 6 to Galveston, but I'm almost sure they'll crank right back up. And, honestly, broader problem that solves itself there.

You know, I read this and it was at first incomprehensible. But I've been reading this poo poo for so long that I have come to view you as a very particularly Texan source of information, so I did some basic searching to decipher what the hell you were talking about, and this seems like an interesting topic.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reindeer is our thread's jim swift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dti1puWFqKk

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

litany of gulps posted:

You know, I read this and it was at first incomprehensible. But I've been reading this poo poo for so long that I have come to view you as a very particularly Texan source of information, so I did some basic searching to decipher what the hell you were talking about, and this seems like an interesting topic.
Rural Texas is way more interesting than it gets credit for - and not always in a good way, heh. Not that these things are at all confined to rural Texas, but they stand out a lot more in the sparsity of the view out here.

On its face, the whole eight liner deal (or "maquinitas" in Spanish speaking Tejas) is just slot machines. Not that interesting. If you drive into Louisiana or fly into Vegas, you'll find slot machines in gas stations and bars and everywhere, like most people know.

What's weird is that you will also notice this in, especially, rural Texas, and it's clear that they're for gambling. A lot of Pakistani mini-marts have them around here, where the machines pay out in store credit or cash cards or suchlike. Then there are these poo poo buildings with blacked out windows, almost invariably a failed small business from yesteryear, painted purple or green or black or beige with nothing but a neon OPEN sign and maybe a sign that says POG out front, and they're essentially slot machine dens packed with, usually, a mix of poor and working class folks playing on discarded lovely old slot machines. The reason I ever knew about them, having lived overseas for the last 14 years (during which time they cropped up - they were not a thing when I was younger) is that the police chief in what passes for my hometown, a legit good police chief who was so good that when he tried to run for JP no one would vote for him in order to force him to remain police chief, busted one of these things one time and found his own mother inside. My mother sent me the article from the local paper. Classic small town Texas.

Anyway, the legality they skate in on is, essentially, "You can win poo poo at Dave and Busters and at the County Fair, so this is no different." based on old laws that allow for games like skeeball or whatever that award up to a certain amount. There are constant court cases by local cities and counties and so on trying to pierce this or regulate as a lottery or something else, but so far no luck. Obviously, in practice, these places are way breaking even those laws, but sort of like SOB industries, they try to appear to follow the rules.

What I have not looked into, and am curious to find out, is who is behind these. At least out here in this part of rural Guff Coast Texas. I'm sure many, maybe even most, are some person who owns just one - maybe a few - but as with most grey market things, I bet if you dig and dig it'll turn out there are a few people in networks who actually own a huge number of these things that they open and close as needed.

EDIT: To circle back to clarifying the point of my earlier post, they closed a week or so later than everything else because they weren't listed in the banned businesses precisely because they're not regulated businesses in the first place owing to their gray market status. So, tomorrow, I'm guessing they'll ride right back in under that same table and throw the doors open.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 1, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there was even one at anderson mill and 183 near Nanking if anyone was around NW austin back awhile ago

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

I teach in the UT System and we were basically told the same thing - prepare for 25% online instruction (i.e., no big lecture courses), no mass gatherings, still respect social distancing guidelines, etc. This will probably be the norm for all of next year, if not the next two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Total non sequitur, but since I am legally stuck here I have been forced to get a cell phone plan and I am getting Amber Alerts. Fine, whatever, great idea, I believe the children are the future, etc. Thing is, I click OK and then I get the same alert again after a few minutes. Then I click OK again and I get it again after a few minutes. Sometimes this goes on for a while. Is there a button for "OKAY, I FUCKIN' GOT IT Y'ALL, drat" that I'm not seeing?

Please, fellow Texans, offer aid in my forced, hopefully temporary repatriation to my ancestral homeland that I love.