Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Stux posted:

i dont think theres anyone that thinks that, the people who think joel is good obviously think they suck, and the people who understood the very simple story know both suck
The fireflies were, in fact, the good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cuntellectual posted:

No, actually, the reason I say TLoU is at best competent and is more accurately described as overrated trash.

I don't hate hate people who like TLoU or anything - Opinion are subjective, if you like it you're not wrong - but I hate it because it inspires such insipidly loving braindead takes as this, where people say "OMG GAMES ARE ART NOW, YOU JUST DONT GET IT" because of this trash.

The Last of Us fails on several levels. The first issue I take with it is the title. It's post apocalyptic fiction where humanity is on it's way out. It's on it's last legs. Yet despite that you never fail to run out of convenient groups of soldiers, bandits, cannibals, or whatever whenever the game needs to fill up a shooting gallery with enemies. You can say "oh but everything does that!" but no, good post apocalyptic fiction doesn't. How many fights do the father and son get into on The Road? "That's not a game!" you might protest. Fine, what about LISA? Nearly every enemy has a name and don't respawn. Every fight you get into, you have irreversibly incremented down the count of surviving humans one more notch. The implication is clear: This is it. The end of the human race. You might even say those people are the 'last of us' as a species :thinking:

Now, not every piece of apocalyptic fiction needs to be like that, but a game literally called "The Last of Us" failing to inspire a sense of finality sure isn't a good sign about the quality of the writing to come.

The game is just so drat 'safe'. People talk about how ~emotional~ it is when Joel loses his daughter in the first five minutes. It's one of the cheapest narrative tricks in the book. We as humans have lizard brains that make us more empathetic towards things when we can relate to them; If you say a rock has a family before smashing the rock, people will feel more sympathetic to the rock. That might work for most people, but it's sure not going to work for anyone who can see past how low effort it is. I know it's a lot more work to spend time and effort making people care about a character before killing them off, but if you want a story to have any impact on people who posses critical thinking abilities, you're going to have to do better than that.

Stories don't need to be unique to be good. There's nothing new under the sun, after all. The Last of Us has a plot that's been done many, many times before though, and it fails to do anything beyond that. Joel and Ellie are as generic as generic gets. Naughty Dog builds it's games via series of setpieces and then figuring out how to connect them, which really shows here. The bond between Joel and Ellie feels like poo poo I'd see in a loving light novel, where the explanation for why they get closer is "because they're the main characters, silly!" and everything else in the game is like that too. You can basically tell every character's arc just from knowing the genre the game is in along with knowing the writers are hacks.

Most of the moment to moment dialogue isn't much better. The game goes to comical lengths to make all of the antagonists as evil as possible, and then makes Joel and Ellie do terrible things too to make ~moral ambiguity~ but it all just loving falls flat for me because you get to the point where there's no reason to be invested in them except Stockholm syndrome.

The gameplay is functional at best, repetitive and poorly executed at worst. It's just a series of AAA gameplay features like stupid instant crafting, garbage stealth where your AI partners could be sucking the enemies off and they wouldn't notice, and loving quick time events.

The shooting sucks too. All the guns are boringly generic without things like Metro 2033's quality/bad quality ammo to liven it up, along with shooting that uses the loving bumpers to fire instead of the triggers. The one kind of zombie you have to slow walk past is also fuckin tedious because they so rarely are around other enemies or anything. Not to mention getting close means instant death for whatever reason, despite only detecting noise. Your noise, I mean. Not ellie's. She can run around like a dumbass child hopped up on coke and pop rocks and they won't notice any more than the humans.

At least there's the mu- Oh wait no, there is no fuckin music half the time and what's there is once again generic as generic gets. It's like a Marvel movie soundtrack or something, which means you just get to sit in somber silence as you solve such creative puzzles as 'move the ladder then climb up it real slow'.

Once again, if you like it, I don't really care. There are people who like everything from the straight up irredeemably bad to the sleep inducingly mediocre and it doesn't make a difference to me. What I do loving hate is people who act like people who have actually experienced something actually well made are the ones who are wrong because they call TLoU out for the overrated trash it is.

PS: Better things you could play than The Last of Us.

LISA the Painful - Infinitely better integration of story and gameplay elements, far better reasons to empathize with why the main character does the horrible things he does without resorting to cheap tricks or exposition.
Spec Ops: The Line - Much more interesting 3rd person shooting mechanics along with more natural dialogue and a story that displays to us why the characters grow the way they do.
Metro 2033
The STALKER series

Also, Children of Men and The Road.

And furthermore, why isn’t Final Fantasy the last one? I can tell right from the title screen this game is gonna be a shitshow, because I am very smart you see.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dewgy posted:

And furthermore, why isn’t Final Fantasy the last one? I can tell right from the title screen this game is gonna be a shitshow, because I am very smart you see.

Even if this is a joke, which I doubt it is, this is one of the dumbest defences of anything I've ever read and illustrates my point about the sort of people who stan the game quite nicely.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I ain't readin all that poo poo.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cuntellectual posted:

Even if this is a joke, which I doubt it is, this is one of the dumbest defences of anything I've ever read and illustrates my point about the sort of people who stan the game quite nicely.

A lot of your gameplay complaints about TLoU are "why doesn't ellie arbitrarily get the player killed" which is hilarious coming from someone who heaps praises upon the genius gameplay of.. spec ops, the line.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cuntellectual posted:

I’m saying your criticism sucks poo poo and you’re not as deep as you think you are.

Like, this isn’t even specifically defending TLoU, that is some of the worst critique I’ve ever read, and it’s incredibly obvious how up your own rear end you are.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

No, actually, the reason I say TLoU is at best competent and is more accurately described as overrated trash.

I don't hate hate people who like TLoU or anything - Opinion are subjective, if you like it you're not wrong - but I hate it because it inspires such insipidly loving braindead takes as this, where people say "OMG GAMES ARE ART NOW, YOU JUST DONT GET IT" because of this trash.

The Last of Us fails on several levels. The first issue I take with it is the title. It's post apocalyptic fiction where humanity is on it's way out. It's on it's last legs. Yet despite that you never fail to run out of convenient groups of soldiers, bandits, cannibals, or whatever whenever the game needs to fill up a shooting gallery with enemies. You can say "oh but everything does that!" but no, good post apocalyptic fiction doesn't. How many fights do the father and son get into on The Road? "That's not a game!" you might protest. Fine, what about LISA? Nearly every enemy has a name and don't respawn. Every fight you get into, you have irreversibly incremented down the count of surviving humans one more notch. The implication is clear: This is it. The end of the human race. You might even say those people are the 'last of us' as a species :thinking:

Now, not every piece of apocalyptic fiction needs to be like that, but a game literally called "The Last of Us" failing to inspire a sense of finality sure isn't a good sign about the quality of the writing to come.

The game is just so drat 'safe'. People talk about how ~emotional~ it is when Joel loses his daughter in the first five minutes. It's one of the cheapest narrative tricks in the book. We as humans have lizard brains that make us more empathetic towards things when we can relate to them; If you say a rock has a family before smashing the rock, people will feel more sympathetic to the rock. That might work for most people, but it's sure not going to work for anyone who can see past how low effort it is. I know it's a lot more work to spend time and effort making people care about a character before killing them off, but if you want a story to have any impact on people who posses critical thinking abilities, you're going to have to do better than that.

Stories don't need to be unique to be good. There's nothing new under the sun, after all. The Last of Us has a plot that's been done many, many times before though, and it fails to do anything beyond that. Joel and Ellie are as generic as generic gets. Naughty Dog builds it's games via series of setpieces and then figuring out how to connect them, which really shows here. The bond between Joel and Ellie feels like poo poo I'd see in a loving light novel, where the explanation for why they get closer is "because they're the main characters, silly!" and everything else in the game is like that too. You can basically tell every character's arc just from knowing the genre the game is in along with knowing the writers are hacks.

Most of the moment to moment dialogue isn't much better. The game goes to comical lengths to make all of the antagonists as evil as possible, and then makes Joel and Ellie do terrible things too to make ~moral ambiguity~ but it all just loving falls flat for me because you get to the point where there's no reason to be invested in them except Stockholm syndrome.

The gameplay is functional at best, repetitive and poorly executed at worst. It's just a series of AAA gameplay features like stupid instant crafting, garbage stealth where your AI partners could be sucking the enemies off and they wouldn't notice, and loving quick time events.

The shooting sucks too. All the guns are boringly generic without things like Metro 2033's quality/bad quality ammo to liven it up, along with shooting that uses the loving bumpers to fire instead of the triggers. The one kind of zombie you have to slow walk past is also fuckin tedious because they so rarely are around other enemies or anything. Not to mention getting close means instant death for whatever reason, despite only detecting noise. Your noise, I mean. Not ellie's. She can run around like a dumbass child hopped up on coke and pop rocks and they won't notice any more than the humans.

At least there's the mu- Oh wait no, there is no fuckin music half the time and what's there is once again generic as generic gets. It's like a Marvel movie soundtrack or something, which means you just get to sit in somber silence as you solve such creative puzzles as 'move the ladder then climb up it real slow'.

Once again, if you like it, I don't really care. There are people who like everything from the straight up irredeemably bad to the sleep inducingly mediocre and it doesn't make a difference to me. What I do loving hate is people who act like people who have actually experienced something actually well made are the ones who are wrong because they call TLoU out for the overrated trash it is.

PS: Better things you could play than The Last of Us.

LISA the Painful - Infinitely better integration of story and gameplay elements, far better reasons to empathize with why the main character does the horrible things he does without resorting to cheap tricks or exposition.
Spec Ops: The Line - Much more interesting 3rd person shooting mechanics along with more natural dialogue and a story that displays to us why the characters grow the way they do.
Metro 2033
The STALKER series

Also, Children of Men and The Road.

lol youre a lot dumber than you think you are sucks you have to find out like this

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

RevolverDivider posted:

You're completely insane.

Specs ops is just heart of darkness but integrates all its elements to form a coherent experience. From the type of game (shooter) to the story it tries to tell (war is bad and it will gently caress you up) all the decisions that the devs made enforce that narrative. Hell the more you play the more insane the game gets.
TLOU has the better production values but if you ask me: recomend a game that will make you think something more than just press the buttons i would say play specs ops first.
W3 and New Vegas (specially dead money) are my favorite games of all time so maybe what the gently caress do i know.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dewgy posted:

I’m saying your criticism sucks poo poo and you’re not as deep as you think you are.

Like, this isn’t even specifically defending TLoU, that is some of the worst critique I’ve ever read, and it’s incredibly obvious how up your own rear end you are.

It's great how literally every defence of TLoU is "You're wrong and stupid" because no valid defences can be made for it on it's own merits due to how quickly they crumble when compared to things that are actually any good.

You don't need to write several paragraphs, or anything particularly deep! Just something above the soy face tier.

Yardbomb posted:

I ain't readin all that poo poo.

it's cool, I don't expect tlou fans to be big on reading.

Panzeh posted:

A lot of your gameplay complaints about TLoU are "why doesn't ellie arbitrarily get the player killed" which is hilarious coming from someone who heaps praises upon the genius gameplay of.. spec ops, the line.

Since I take it you didn't see the ones about QTEs, tedious filler 'puzzles', poor controls, failure to integrate story and gameplay in even the slightest way, and tacked on crafting I'll re-state them for you here.

Also, I don't think Spec Ops has genius gameplay. I think it has moderately good gameplay that integrates well with the story it's telling, innovates in some interesting ways and builds/populates levels in a way that makes for some good challenge that ramps up appropriately, none of which can be said for the last of us.

You also seem to misunderstand what I said about Ellie. It's not "why doesn't Ellie arbitrarily get the played killed", it's "how does this game with such a swollen budget not manage to either have AI that's baseline competent or failing that, design levels in such a way that Ellie doesn't literally physically stand in front of enemies that are searching for you?"

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 1, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think ur missing the point which is you just wrote a ton of words that read like a guy on youtube circa 2010 who has angry or hate in his name and just uploaded his first video essay its v funny lol

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stux posted:

i think ur missing the point which is you just wrote a ton of words that read like a guy on youtube circa 2010 who has angry or hate in his name and just uploaded his first video essay its v funny lol

I like analyzing things and the way that one of the worst posters on the games forum gets caveman angry when he tries to read it is one of those things that makes it worthwhile.

Wulf
May 8, 2008
I did like how spec ops made everything including the loading screens more and more insane as you went on. Truly what TLOU 2 to 4 need is for Ellie to have an ever increasing amount of hallucinations as the Shroom Within grows.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

rereading the post in andrew dice "the diceman" clays voice in my head and hooting like a wolf

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cuntellectual posted:

Just something above the soy face tier.

:laffo:

way to show your whole rear end, friend

also i do love the school of thought of more words = better point, just fabulous all around :discourse:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i missed tyhat hahahahaha

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dewgy posted:

:laffo:

way to show your whole rear end, friend

also i do love the school of thought of more words = better point, just fabulous all around :discourse:

I specifically said you don't need to write very much! I was just pointing out that nobody can ever talk about what makes TLoU without using broad, weak points like "good storytelling" without elaborating on what makes it actually good compared to literally anything else.

The entire thing about people being mad over the leaks confuses me because the first game was not very well written or subtle or anything. This isn't a new direction. The main thing people seem to be getting mad about that isn't a logical continuation of The Last of Us part 1 is that there's a trans character or something, and it feels dumb for people to make such a big deal about that.

e: If you can give a concise explanation for The Last of Us being worth spending time on, I'd love to hear it. With how it's so overwhelmingly perfect to the point you get viscerally angry over someone critiquing it, surely that's not a big ask.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 1, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
There isn’t a trans character.

e: Also maybe, you know, you should be the one to set the goalposts for what “good” is. You don’t seem to have a problem with describing it as “bad” without elaborating, why is that more valid?

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 1, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

what makes it actually good compared to literally anything else

do you mean literally anything else, or do you mean compared to things that are specifically better than it

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
he’s right

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cuntellectual posted:

It's great how literally every defence of TLoU is "You're wrong and stupid" because no valid defences can be made for it on it's own merits due to how quickly they crumble when compared to things that are actually any good.

I dunno as someone who played the first 8 or so hours of TLoU last month and finally just fell off of it because the main character handles like an old tractor with a rifle taped to the nose, "the gameplay is not very good" is a pretty valid criticism.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
no one should write multiple paragraphs about a video game, unless I agree with them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

saying any game plays better than spec ops is a very good joke and i like spec ops a lot

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cuntellectual posted:

e: If you can give a concise explanation for The Last of Us being worth spending time on, I'd love to hear it. With how it's so overwhelmingly perfect to the point you get viscerally angry over someone critiquing it, surely that's not a big ask.

If you’re mistaking casual vulgarity for visceral anger I think you may need to work on your reading comprehension. :v:

TLOU, the first one, is a rare experience that is both fitting right into an existing genre and at the same time kind of turning it on its head. In an era with tons of high caliber full auto insanity, Joel starts off not being able to shoot for poo poo and he has around 3 bullets at any given time. Your character is fragile, resources are scarce, and it takes the usual third person shooter mechanics and makes it a really tense experience.

Storywise, it essentially takes its apocalypse to tell a series of pretty well fleshed out character stories, it tries to keep the scale of the journey and time taken as grounded and realistic as it can manage, up to treating winter as the actual dangerous thing it is for someone underprepared.

It’s an action game that isn’t afraid to dip into being dour and ugly and it makes fighting people an extremely tense experience even without them being heavily armed, mainly because the entire world sets up the idea that if you get hurt you are hosed.

The writing isn’t exactly Shakespeare but it’s a decent script, doesn’t try to make its characters perfect, and the performances are fantastic across the board.

I’m not saying it’s the most perfect game ever made, I get it if it didn’t click with you, but to call it outright objectively bad is just baffling unless your whole point is just to say “I don’t like popular thing”. How? What exactly is it that makes this story and game poorly made or executed?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cuntellectual posted:

people always complain about this but it would be a million loving times worse if the enemies could actually detect your AI partners and gently caress up your stealth

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dewgy posted:

There isn’t a trans character.

e: Also maybe, you know, you should be the one to set the goalposts for what “good” is. You don’t seem to have a problem with describing it as “bad” without elaborating, why is that more valid?

Sure.

There's no way to classify something as objectively good or bad, but I think I have a definition similar to most people.

Good gameplay:
Intuitive and responsive controls (The buttons in tlou are mapped weirdly, and the character handles like a brick.)
Intelligent AI (Doesn't use much in the way of tactics beyond taking cover and sliding up and down like targets in a shooting gallery. For the friendly side, Ellie doesn't even try to take cover during stealth.)
Challenge that ramps up appropriately with game progress/difficulty selection (Human enemies never get harder. Lategame ones aren't smarter, have no new abilities, the enviroments you fight them in aren't significantly more challenging than early ones, they just tend to have more enemies with somewhat better guns)
Minimal filler mechanics or game features (Crafting is basically pointless, the puzzles are just filler, sneaking around zombies is usually filler)
Integrating gameplay elements with the story being told, if story is important (As mentioned, Ellie's AI and the way enemies are fought in hordes completely fails to work with that. IIRC Ellie also functions identically to joel during the short part you play her. Joel's aim is also way unsteady for someone who's been doing this for what, 20 years?)

I also generally appreciate some variety or trying new things to make the formula more interesting, but of course not every game can revolutionize their genre.

Good writing:

Characters having some kind of depth (Joel is like every other angry hairy dad in video games. I just find him boring. Every antagonist except the fireflies are also comically evil.)
Showing over telling (I'll admit I don't remember this super well but I'm pretty sure Joel and Ellie just kind of start being friendly at some point after Joel basically considering her kind of annoying/just a job the entire time prior. Just spending time with someone isn't enough to make them like each other. Joel's transformation from 'nice young dad' to 'hardened criminal' also conveniently happens off screen with no need to show it.)
Having some actual reasons to care about the characters (Joel, and to a lesser degree Ellie, is an awful person. Bad people can be good protagonists, but I already don't find Joel compelling and I just can't bring myself to care about this one random dirty post apocalyptic jerk over any other one. This is why the antagonists more or less HAVE to be so two dimensional. He lost his family 20 years ago, so loving what. So did everyone else. He can be mad and sad about it, but there's no reason to care about him more than anyone else.)

Not directly writing, but music and environment design can contribute immensely. Not everything needs music (like The Wire has pretty minimal music and that show is excellent), but using it sparingly should be considered very carefully.

I could go on but from what you've said you hate reading too much.

CharlestonJew posted:

people always complain about this but it would be a million loving times worse if the enemies could actually detect your AI partners and gently caress up your stealth

Don't get me wrong, that would be worse. I just wish Ellie would try to hide, or stay offscreen or something.

Dewgy posted:

If you’re mistaking casual vulgarity for visceral anger I think you may need to work on your reading comprehension. :v:

TLOU, the first one, is a rare experience that is both fitting right into an existing genre and at the same time kind of turning it on its head. In an era with tons of high caliber full auto insanity, Joel starts off not being able to shoot for poo poo and he has around 3 bullets at any given time. Your character is fragile, resources are scarce, and it takes the usual third person shooter mechanics and makes it a really tense experience.

Storywise, it essentially takes its apocalypse to tell a series of pretty well fleshed out character stories, it tries to keep the scale of the journey and time taken as grounded and realistic as it can manage, up to treating winter as the actual dangerous thing it is for someone underprepared.

It’s an action game that isn’t afraid to dip into being dour and ugly and it makes fighting people an extremely tense experience even without them being heavily armed, mainly because the entire world sets up the idea that if you get hurt you are hosed.

The writing isn’t exactly Shakespeare but it’s a decent script, doesn’t try to make its characters perfect, and the performances are fantastic across the board.

I’m not saying it’s the most perfect game ever made, I get it if it didn’t click with you, but to call it outright objectively bad is just baffling unless your whole point is just to say “I don’t like popular thing”. How? What exactly is it that makes this story and game poorly made or executed?

My mistake, where I'm from people usually don't immediately start lead with "You're a big dummy!" when they're not angry.

I think Resident Evil 4 did a much better job of having a fragile character with scarce resources due to also controlling much better.

I think Spec Ops does a better job of being 'dour and ugly', with how the protagonist literally becomes dirtier and more scarred from the chiseled handsome action hero he starts the game as. It also has a good script and some of the most phenomenal vocal work have heard in a game, thanks in part to the voice actors being stuck inside a recording booth for hours together so their growing fatigue and frustration was legitimate. :v:

I might have misspoken at some point but I don't think I ever said TLoU is objectively bad. I said I ultimately find it very average and that the reason I have such a distaste for it is because of how aggressively it's held up as being a shining example of everything gaming can be (generally with fanboys getting angry and throwing tantrums when people disagree). Do any of those games I mentioned being good make TLoU bad? Of course not. However, the fact TLoU fails to live up to actual examples of these things being done so well makes it what I said. Very average.

It pisses me off that games that come closer to achieving all these things that TLoU supposedly does get ignored (well, not RE4) or sell badly or whatever while people tongue bathe TLoU.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 1, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its again the very strange thing people do where concessions to entertainment in a piece of media are somehow an objective flaw. this happens in film a lot but its cranked up in games because games generally have to concede more due to the audience actually controlling what is happening.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

Sure.

There's no way to classify something as objectively good or bad, but I think I have a definition similar to most people.

Good gameplay:
Intuitive and responsive controls (The buttons in tlou are mapped weirdly, and the character handles like a brick.)
Intelligent AI (Doesn't use much in the way of tactics beyond taking cover and sliding up and down like targets in a shooting gallery. For the friendly side, Ellie doesn't even try to take cover during stealth.)
Challenge that ramps up appropriately with game progress/difficulty selection (Human enemies never get harder. Lategame ones aren't smarter, have no new abilities, the enviroments you fight them in aren't significantly more challenging than early ones, they just tend to have more enemies with somewhat better guns)
Minimal filler mechanics or game features (Crafting is basically pointless, the puzzles are just filler, sneaking around zombies is usually filler)
Integrating gameplay elements with the story being told, if story is important (As mentioned, Ellie's AI and the way enemies are fought in hordes completely fails to work with that. IIRC Ellie also functions identically to joel during the short part you play her. Joel's aim is also way unsteady for someone who's been doing this for what, 20 years?)

I also generally appreciate some variety or trying new things to make the formula more interesting, but of course not every game can revolutionize their genre.

Good writing:

Characters having some kind of depth (Joel is like every other angry hairy dad in video games. I just find him boring. Every antagonist except the fireflies are also comically evil.)
Showing over telling (I'll admit I don't remember this super well but I'm pretty sure Joel and Ellie just kind of start being friendly at some point after Joel basically considering her kind of annoying/just a job the entire time prior. Just spending time with someone isn't enough to make them like each other. Joel's transformation from 'nice young dad' to 'hardened criminal' also conveniently happens off screen with no need to show it.)
Having some actual reasons to care about the characters (Joel, and to a lesser degree Ellie, is an awful person. Bad people can be good protagonists, but I already don't find Joel compelling and I just can't bring myself to care about this one random dirty post apocalyptic jerk over any other one. This is why the antagonists more or less HAVE to be so two dimensional. He lost his family 20 years ago, so loving what. So did everyone else. He can be mad and sad about it, but there's no reason to care about him more than anyone else.)

Not directly writing, but music and environment design can contribute immensely. Not everything needs music (like The Wire has pretty minimal music and that show is excellent), but using it sparingly should be considered very carefully.

I could go on but from what you've said you hate reading too much.

Don't get me wrong, that would be worse. I just wish Ellie would try to hide, or stay offscreen or something.

lord give me this level of confidence and lack of self awareness

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cuntellectual posted:

they definitely could have done that but it's pretty clear that they wanted Ellie to participate in the battles and help the player occasionally, so having her be invisible until you get detected was the best compromise they could come up with without spending 100 years perfecting the pathfinding AI

edit: also I don't agree with all of cuntellectual's points but you're looking like a giant prick right now Stux

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

they definitely could have done that but it's pretty clear that they wanted Ellie to participate in the battles and help the player occasionally, so having her be invisible until you get detected was the best compromise they could come up with without spending 100 years perfecting the pathfinding AI

edit: also I don't agree with all of cuntellectual's points but you're looking like a giant prick right now Stux

I get that, but I think that they needed to kill that particular baby and either make Ellie a factor in battle or have her not participate at all.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

hm but consider this

Cuntellectual posted:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cuntellectual posted:

I get that, but I think that they needed to kill that particular baby and either make Ellie a factor in battle or have her not participate at all.

This was absolutely a decision informed by years of other developers trying to do it in other ways. Having the NPC followers be invisible is one of the best possible ways to handle an uncontrollable AI partner, and if there’s one thing the decade before TLOU taught us it’s that escort missions completely suck.

e: Re: Show don’t tell, isn’t a big part of the intro of the game about showing how Joel already shot his neighbor, was implied to kill someone else as well, and abandon an entire family to die? Like, they make it clear right away that Joel is looking out for number one (and number one’s family) above all else and at any cost.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 1, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its already showing and not telling theyve just misunderstood the term because of two different contexts for the word "show" because "show dont tell" comes from writing and doesnt mean literally showing visually. a 20 year time skip through a hard cut where it goes from him emotional and devastated to current day joel where we get scant information on what hes done and have to infer what has been going on for his character change is explicitly showing and not telling, its a pretty big example of it. whether its effective or not is a different thing, but its literally what they are doing. actually showing the things he had done for the last 20 years would be telling.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I guess that's part of it then, they show us a panicked idiot rear end in a top hat angerdad and then a twenty years older rear end in a top hat angerdad.

Not exactly compelling.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SIGSEGV posted:

I guess that's part of it then, they show us a panicked idiot rear end in a top hat angerdad and then a twenty years older rear end in a top hat angerdad.

Not exactly compelling.

much like your posting!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the game isnt subtle, picking up on how joel has changed and getting a picture in your head of the last 20 years isnt some mental challenge, its extremely obvious and easy. asking for the game to literally lay out exactly what has happened and then say the writing is bad because they didnt is a galaxy brain analysis.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stux posted:

the game isnt subtle, picking up on how joel has changed and getting a picture in your head of the last 20 years isnt some mental challenge, its extremely obvious and easy. asking for the game to literally lay out exactly what has happened and then say the writing is bad because they didnt is a galaxy brain analysis.

reminds me of the one guy who posted 30k words of pseudointellectual vitriol about spec ops (no, not this guy, another guy) to disguise the fact that his mission statement was basically "the ending gave me bad tummyfeels"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also, i like this thread! i'm excited to be a part of it!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Show, don’t tell: like when Joel tells Ellie “hark! thou hast heard tell of the Crimson Bud, that notorious thief? Aye, ‘twas I! Full wroth with the rage of Hell who did descend upon the lords and ladies which every way did wend up and down the country and so in their fond hearts said: ‘Surely I am safe from mischief.’ Not so; and when they saw my brand they quaked rightly for my contentment could not be denied, nay. And not a purse did scape my glance unburdened nor a comelie waif unbedded. Thus I dwelt among the charnel graves by the highway-side and toasted the good masters for their generosity from sculls digged up from th’environs, and the sweet wine flowed o’er my lips as might drown an Atilla.”

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bonaventure posted:

Show, don’t tell: like when Joel tells Ellie “hark! thou hast heard tell of the Crimson Bud, that notorious thief? Aye, ‘twas I! Full wroth with the rage of Hell who did descend upon the lords and ladies which every way did wend up and down the country and so in their fond hearts said: ‘Surely I am safe from mischief.’ Not so; and when they saw my brand they quaked rightly for my contentment could not be denied, nay. And not a purse did scape my glance unburdened nor a comelie waif unbedded. Thus I dwelt among the charnel graves by the highway-side and toasted the good masters for their generosity from sculls digged up from th’environs, and the sweet wine flowed o’er my lips as might drown an Atilla.”

he conveniently leaves out the time he got swindled out of his clothes and weapons out of embarassment