Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

People there can’t be 2 people involved with Star Trek that we call RDM. It’s just going to get confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Really Dumb Men

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

As much as this sounds cool as heck, I can't imagine what a series like modern Quantum Leap would look like in the era of prestige television. Quantum Leap is like the epitome of serialized TV storytelling -- sure there was the occasional thread that popped up now and again (when Sam leaps into the same person a couple different times, the late-series stuff about the Evil Leapers, Al's Vietnam backstory), but the series was like 95% self-contained vignettes.

Edit: man, the show even literally told you its premise during the opening sequence of every episode, it was like perfect "I've never heard of this show before, I'm gonna watch this random episode" stuff in an era before appointment viewing and entire-series-binging.

I missed this earlier. You really, really whiffed on the definition of serialized television. It was even more episodic than TNG.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Surprised and delighted that Communist Garak is a thing.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Ohhhhhh now that I read that back i think I am just describing the Stasi

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The 90s were Everything. :allears:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

First thing that occurs to me is that boobsuits would probably have been a lot more time and trouble and money to do, especially back then. Remember that TOS was literally taking backalley, pre-dawn deliveries from illicit sweatshops to get their costuming needs met. The costumes they did have for gorgeous guest stars were often pretty flimsy affairs that sometimes just fell apart on set.

There's also no way the TOS producers would have been happy with a costume that required the production to shut down for at least half an hour in order for the actor to take a piss, on account of having to extract them from the boobsuit, relieve themselves, and then be carefully re-inserted into the boobsuit. They were always scrambling for time.

Also, honestly, a boobsuit is just way less creative/imaginative than what Theiss was dreaming up for TOS.

I seem to recall that the flimsiness of costumes was often intentional. A costume was considered more sexy the more it looked like it could fall off at any moment.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

I seem to recall that the flimsiness of costumes was often intentional. A costume was considered more sexy the more it looked like it could fall off at any moment.

I am not posting the P-Stew thing. I am not going to do it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Arglebargle III posted:

Rachel from Rachel Watches Star Trek clocked Colm Meaney in the first episode of TNG as "that guy who's in everything" so yeah I'd say he's had a successful career just not always in US productions.

Yep, he's had a good career. He's big in the UK/Ireland. I used to know an Irish woman who loved Colm Meaney but had no idea he was ever in Star Trek.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yep, he's had a good career. He's big in the UK/Ireland. I used to know an Irish woman who loved Colm Meaney but had no idea he was ever in Star Trek.

Con Air! That's a good one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

There's a frankly disturbing amount of stuff in the show that was just silly stupid when they filmed it and now suddenly it's barely a metaphor.

Veep was the same way. They've said they had all kinds of plot ideas that they dismissed for being too stupid for anyone to believe as real and then the Trump admin would do them verbatim.

Pick posted:

Alexander Siddig hosts a zoom chat every Friday with some of the Star Trek tumblr folks and he's mentioned things once or twice that make it pretty clear he's not at all affluent. He doesn't even live in LA. Robinson came in this last week and wants to destroy capitalism so there's that too.

Gonna need some details on this zoom.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Gonna need some details on Garak hating capitalism.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

oh but seriously I posted:

Con Air! That's a good one.

And Die Hard 2

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Senor Tron posted:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/William_Ware_Theiss

His female garment style can be summed up in the "Theiss Theory of Titillation" – self coined and first mentioned in Stephen Whitfield's 1968 reference book The Making of Star Trek, p. 360 – , which stated "the degree to which a costume is considered sexy is directly dependent upon how accident-prone it appears to be."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

piratepilates posted:

I'm looking forward to this.

I am a bit confused about the patreon though, do they need the money? Residuals for 7 seasons of a star trek show I imagine would still let them live pretty comfortably, I guess I'm not expecting the patreon to end up raising that much for them so it seems kinda unnecessary.

... .

Garrett showed off one of his residual checks on Twitter a couple of years ago. It was 65 cents.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

... . Toss in some technobabble about how she can leap through Sam’s lifetime and her own, and then you can do stories set in the 90s-20s in addition to Sam’s era. These new vignettes become the Leap of the...

Good news: the original show already did this for you when they handwaved why Sam leaped into his Civil War ancestor.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 30, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really love how the Dominion is basically an evil Federation, but it kind of sucks that their aesthetics are just never really there. Like the Jem'Hadar are great conceptually, but just look like random aliens you'd see from an episode of The Outer Limits, and their ships aren't great.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I know one of the writers on the Simpsons was canny and got a percent of the profits in his contract before the show took off. He says his lawyers say that his grandchildren may see some money.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really love how the Dominion is basically an evil Federation, but it kind of sucks that their aesthetics are just never really there. Like the Jem'Hadar are great conceptually, but just look like random aliens you'd see from an episode of The Outer Limits, and their ships aren't great.

I dunno, I really dig the Jem’Hadar fighter for its unique silhouette and the battleship looks like something designed to intimidate Klingons. I think they suffer a little from overuse and lack of variety, but it’s not needed as much once the Cardassian and Breen ships join them.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Timeless Appeal posted:

They didn't do a great job exploring them as the anti-Federation - they may as well be a TOS Klingon Empire.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I meant it that they decided to lean into having put actresses in the more as the series went on, considering they were more of a 60s thing (I know, Rick Berman's decision probably and something about giving Star Trek sex appeal). And I vaguely recall reading about Jeri Ryan hating them because of the whole toilet issue, which was made worse by her ongoing spat with Mulgrew at the time, so you'd think they'd have avoided them for the same reasons. Or at least learned from TNG about Troi looking better in a regular uniform.

The producers being big pervs aside, if we're defining catsuits as a 60s thing, it's also worth remembering that there was a big resurgence in 60s nostalgia in the mid-late 90s - remember Austin Powers?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

They didn't do a great job exploring them as the anti-Federation - they may as well be a TOS Klingon Empire.
I mean the thing I like about them is that Trek baddies are usually these one-off race. Like you know that the Klingons and Romulans have colonies, but the Cardassians are probably the first time you really get a sense of what that means. But even then, the Cardassians can barely manage to keep the Bajorans in line.

What makes the Dominion a cool concept is that they're a multi-species and multi-planet Empire, but also one that is actually well managed. They even have an episode with a Good Guy human like race that stood up to them and was just devastated.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, Siddig's net worth is likely north of $1 mil which isn't A list movie star money, but it's decent money for an actor in general.

I saw Siddig shopping in the London Selfridges once, so he’s not short of cash. Plus he’s got that Game of Thrones and Gotham money. As an actor, I’ve never seen him out of work.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

If that episode had ended with Archer, who is almost always characterized as choosing human morality and values over alien (usually Vulcan) ones, overriding the opinion of his chief medical officer and giving the cure to the Valakians with some lingering unease about the fate of the Menk it could have been really good. Instead it just makes the whole crew into accessories to genocide.

Apparently, the original ending to the episode was going to be Archer, after a lot of soul searching, telling Phlox to give the cure to the Valakians, and then Phlox just disobeying or not doing it because it went against his medical ethics. They changed the ending, though, because they didn't want Phlox to disobey Archer or create tension between the two characters that they would then have to figure out how to deal with later on.

They had a somewhat better Prime Directive episode later on with Cogenitor (Enterprise makes first contact with an alien species, and it turns out they have three sexes, and the third sex are pretty much enslaved and just passed around to have babies with. Trip gets to know one of them, finds out they're just as intelligent and capable as anyone else, and talks them into requesting asylum, all behind Archer's back. It ends up falling through, first contact is ruined, and the alien kills themselves rather than have to go back to what they now know is slavery.) That was a better "this is why we shouldn't interfere with alien cultures" episode, because they did and it had disastrous results for everybody.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Apparently, the original ending to the episode was going to be Archer, after a lot of soul searching, telling Phlox to give the cure to the Valakians, and then Phlox just disobeying or not doing it because it went against his medical ethics. They changed the ending, though, because they didn't want Phlox to disobey Archer or create tension between the two characters that they would then have to figure out how to deal with later on.

They had a somewhat better Prime Directive episode later on with Cogenitor (Enterprise makes first contact with an alien species, and it turns out they have three sexes, and the third sex are pretty much enslaved and just passed around to have babies with. Trip gets to know one of them, finds out they're just as intelligent and capable as anyone else, and talks them into requesting asylum, all behind Archer's back. It ends up falling through, first contact is ruined, and the alien kills themselves rather than have to go back to what they now know is slavery.) That was a better "this is why we shouldn't interfere with alien cultures" episode, because they did and it had disastrous results for everybody.

Even season 2's "The Communicator" (Reed leaves his communicator on a pre-warp world which leads to him and Archer getting caught) is a better Prime Directive origin story than "Civilization". It even goes into "why we shouldn't tell people we're aliens from another planet when captured".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The_Doctor posted:

I saw Siddig shopping in the London Selfridges once, so he’s not short of cash. Plus he’s got that Game of Thrones and Gotham money. As an actor, I’ve never seen him out of work.

Would be interested to know what the Trek alumni usually get per convention appearance. It seems to be enough to make a modest enough living off of at least, and there are some who seem to rely on it more than others.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itwDBm5DLcM
This is the best one yet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Oh gently caress, this one is great.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjJDrDSUH8I

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD~!
I'm sure it's old news to many but I just found out that "Faith of the Heart" was originally performed by Rod Stewart, on the Patch Adams (1998) soundtrack of all things. Huh. I guess Diane Warren did pretty well with that one.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Season 3-4 Faith of the Heart is somehow significantly worse than Season 1-2 FotH.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Season 3-4 Faith of the Heart is somehow significantly worse than Season 1-2 FotH.

Yeah they hosed with it just like the DS9 theme

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Once again I post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOK_NCM0kko

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I'm watching through Enterprise now and the theme song changed and it's terrible. I thought maybe my stream was just running like 10% too fast or something.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Officers and crew, I come bearing something GLORIOUS

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Zurui posted:

Officers and crew, I come bearing something GLORIOUS

Ready the photonic cannon.

On enterprise theme songs nothing can top that queen one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

People there can’t be 2 people involved with Star Trek that we call RDM. It’s just going to get confusing.

Richard Dean Manderson?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Virgil Vox posted:

On enterprise theme songs nothing can top that queen one.

Got ya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGVyPO647I

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The energy I expend screaming Faith of the Heart at strangers could probably be put to more productive use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The energy I expend screaming Faith of the Heart at strangers could probably be put to more productive use.

Generating negative reinforcement to "Faith of the Heart" is doing the Lord's work