Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Not sure where would be a better place to ask this, but is there a good app like Duolinguo but for brushing up on maths?

Khan Academy is probably the best you'll find in this area.

edit: this is why you check the new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

A Grand Egg posted:

There used to be a Wikipedia page, it may have been science or philosophy based, that used to do the rounds. It was some theory? and the page was very dense text and the more you read it the more unhinged and bizarre it got

Does anyone know it.

Are you thinking of TIMECUBE?

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

A Grand Egg posted:

There used to be a Wikipedia page, it may have been science or philosophy based, that used to do the rounds. It was some theory? and the page was very dense text and the more you read it the more unhinged and bizarre it got

Does anyone know it.

Timecube?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

A Sometimes Food posted:

Not sure where would be a better place to ask this, but is there a good app like Duolinguo but for brushing up on maths?

Khan Academy is the standard answer. For your next question you can get help in the math question thread in SAL.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
A while ago, I bought a Snowball mic, then I loaned it to a friend. Friend returned it in a bag with its cable (or a cable, at any rate). I've never used it before.

Today, I took it out of the bag and went to set it up, but the cable won't plug into the mic. Here's a pic:

It looks like the cable plug would fit into the mic if that black rectangle of plastic weren't there. Does it look to you guys like I just need an adapter, or does it look like something broke off inside the plug?

If I have to buy an adapter or a new plug, what search terms should I use?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rabbit Hill posted:

or does it look like something broke off inside the plug?

It does look like something broke off and is stuck inside. I'd try to wriggle it out with a toothpick or something.

If you want a new cable, it is a regular USB A to USB B cable. Some people call this a printer cable.

Edit: I should specify it should be USB 2 type B; USB 3 type B won't fit.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 30, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I would recommend the new cable. Something going wrong with one of those isn't worth the hassle.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rabbit Hill posted:

A while ago, I bought a Snowball mic, then I loaned it to a friend. Friend returned it in a bag with its cable (or a cable, at any rate). I've never used it before.

Today, I took it out of the bag and went to set it up, but the cable won't plug into the mic.
I assume you've asked the friend if they gave you the right cable? Or if something happened to it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I assume you've asked the friend if they gave you the right cable? Or if something happened to it?

I was curious, so I tried to find a picture of the cable and as near as i can tell that's the right one. Or at least it seems like it shipped with a cable with clear shielding like that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Memento posted:

Khan Academy?

Penguissimo posted:

Khan Academy is probably the best you'll find in this area.

edit: this is why you check the new page

dirby posted:

Khan Academy is the standard answer. For your next question you can get help in the math question thread in SAL.

Thanks all. Was asking for my sister, I'm happily past schooling and need far less maths than I know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Today, I took it out of the bag and went to set it up, but the cable won't plug into the mic. Here's a pic:

It looks like the cable plug would fit into the mic if that black rectangle of plastic weren't there. Does it look to you guys like I just need an adapter, or does it look like something broke off inside the plug?

That is a USB "B" cable end with something broken off in it. That's why it doesn't fit.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

It does look like something broke off and is stuck inside. I'd try to wriggle it out with a toothpick or something.

If you want a new cable, it is a regular USB A to USB B cable. Some people call this a printer cable.

Edit: I should specify it should be USB 2 type B; USB 3 type B won't fit.

Thanks, I've now ordered a new one.

I'm not in contact with the guy I loaned the mic to anymore, otherwise I'd ask him what happened to the cable. I tried prying out the jammed piece of plastic with a toothpick and pointed tweezers, and that thing is stuck in there.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
He probably needed to print something and dug out an old printer, couldn’t find the cord and so used your cord, but the plastic was old and brittle and broke off in the cable.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm trying to remember the name of a subreddit. it's based on a type of fortification, and a saying that you should "stay in your fortification" referring to only arguing about things you're an expert in. does anyone know what I'm talking about

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I'm trying to make a spreadsheet for some aircraft performance data to simplify doing these by hand/saving on interpolation. How hard would it be to make an excel or google sheet to spit out data from this sheet below with most of the variables being known such as temperature, starting altitude (SL is sea level), GW (gross weight), and drag index? If you follow along starting at A, (the known temperature), then move left to B, (the known field elevation), then down to C, (the known gross weight), right to D (drag index) gets you to E, F, and G to get "fuel consumed," "time," and "distance" respectively. I made a formula for temperature and SL (sea level) but I don't know where to go from there. I want to obviously be able to input any valid value for a variety of Gross Weights, temps, altitudes and drag indicies and get computed results. This may be just way to much work and ultimately not worth it but I'm curious how complex of a task it is. My math skills haven't really been used much since college.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
If I'm interesting in trading in my current car for something else, what is the smartest option? I know there's no right answer but when would buying or leasing make sense? If my credit is terrible or amazing which way do I go?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
What’s the deal with Chrome Cast? I haven’t used one of these for several years and when I last bought one it was easy enough to just buy a piece of hardware called ChromeCast. Now I’m looking and there’s millions of things that look like what I bought before but they are all pretty badly reviewed.

What other option do I have to cast browser content from Chrome, on a laptop provided by work that I have no administrator privileges for?

Edit: The laptop doesn’t have an HDMI port otherwise I’d look at one of those 2 piece wireless display things

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 1, 2020

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I have a one-week gap between my current job and the next (handing in my 2 weeks today). Is it worth it to figure out how the gently caress COBRA works or is there an easier and/or cheaper option?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

i am kiss u now posted:

I'm trying to make a spreadsheet for some aircraft performance data to simplify doing these by hand/saving on interpolation. How hard would it be to make an excel or google sheet to spit out data from this sheet below with most of the variables being known such as temperature, starting altitude (SL is sea level), GW (gross weight), and drag index? If you follow along starting at A, (the known temperature), then move left to B, (the known field elevation), then down to C, (the known gross weight), right to D (drag index) gets you to E, F, and G to get "fuel consumed," "time," and "distance" respectively. I made a formula for temperature and SL (sea level) but I don't know where to go from there. I want to obviously be able to input any valid value for a variety of Gross Weights, temps, altitudes and drag indicies and get computed results. This may be just way to much work and ultimately not worth it but I'm curious how complex of a task it is. My math skills haven't really been used much since college.

What you need to do is translate the physics equations for each of your required pieces of information into excel formulas and substitute the variables for the locations of the data in your spreadsheet. I don’t know anything about those equations but based on the charts they look like pretty straightforward algebra and you can handle them with basic operations in a formula.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ineptmule posted:

What’s the deal with Chrome Cast? I haven’t used one of these for several years and when I last bought one it was easy enough to just buy a piece of hardware called ChromeCast. Now I’m looking and there’s millions of things that look like what I bought before but they are all pretty badly reviewed.

What other option do I have to cast browser content from Chrome, on a laptop provided by work that I have no administrator privileges for?

Edit: The laptop doesn’t have an HDMI port otherwise I’d look at one of those 2 piece wireless display things

Just get an official Google ChromeCast. I have no idea what other things you're seeing but we've had one for a couple of years and it's great.

https://store.google.com/product/chromecast

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Is it safe to use an electric blanket and a mattress topper?
If so, can I put the electric blanket under the mattress topper, or is that just asking for a fire?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

olives black posted:

I have a one-week gap between my current job and the next (handing in my 2 weeks today). Is it worth it to figure out how the gently caress COBRA works or is there an easier and/or cheaper option?

I am not any expert in any way, but when I talked to my old HR on the way out (over five years ago), they said that COBRA coverage was retroactive and I should just hold on to the paperwork and only fill it out and pay in if something happened in my two week gap. I made it to the coverage from my new job without incident, so I never filed.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
edit not quote :arghfist:

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

ineptmule posted:

you sure it doesn't have displayport bud?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I believe COBRA can be retroactive for either 30 or 60 days, so I wouldn't bother

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

Just get an official Google ChromeCast. I have no idea what other things you're seeing but we've had one for a couple of years and it's great.

https://store.google.com/product/chromecast

I just searched ChromeCast on Amazon, assumed that the official thing would be at the top of the list. Thanks for the link!

owlhawk911 posted:

you sure it doesn't have displayport bud?

I’m... not sure of that, no. I’ll check. Does that have wireless options as well?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

NotNut posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a subreddit. it's based on a type of fortification, and a saying that you should "stay in your fortification" referring to only arguing about things you're an expert in. does anyone know what I'm talking about
Bailiwick?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

I’m... not sure of that, no. I’ll check. Does that have wireless options as well?

DisplayPort can be turned into most anything with an adaptor or dongle. They seem to cost like $5-15. Post your laptop model.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

if only one copy of a rare book exists can you rightfully call it "1st edition" or does that only apply to the mass publishing world

If I physically create exactly one copy of a book, it is the first edition first printing.
If I later create a second, exact, copy, it's first edition second printing.
If I then create another hundred copies in an unbroken production run, it's first edition third printing.
If I change one word, and create another thousand copies of that modified book, it's now the second edition.
If then a mob rises up, kills me, and goes on a bloodstained crusade to remove all memory of my book from the earth and succeeds except for one copy of the second edition, that one copy is still part of the second edition.

(printing = production batch, edition = content with a slight overlap to format - e.g. publish in hardback, published unchanged in paperback, you can put "first paperback edition!" on the cover of the paperback)

If only one copy of the book ever existed, or more generally it only had one print run, it is technically correct but misleading to refer to it/them as the first edition or first printing because those qualifiers are generally only used when there is more than one.

This matters, of course, a lot less than it did when setting up a print run was a high-effort endeavor and the crispness of the text/illustrations depended on how many times the plates had been used.

In any case book rarity price depends mostly on scarcity, fame/significance of the author and/or the owner, and what inscriptions there are in it (e.g. Shakespeare 1st folio = $$$$, Shakespeare first folio once owned by (say) the Duke of Wellington = $$$$$, Shakespeare first folio owned and annotated by John Milton (yes, it's a real thing, it's in the Free Library of Philadelphia) = almost literally priceless)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Wheelhouse?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

olives black posted:

I believe If you step one day into a new month you have coverage for the entire month. So you can quit on the 1st and be good until June before you need COBRA

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

jjack229 posted:

I am not any expert in any way, but when I talked to my old HR on the way out (over five years ago), they said that COBRA coverage was retroactive and I should just hold on to the paperwork and only fill it out and pay in if something happened in my two week gap. I made it to the coverage from my new job without incident, so I never filed.

Slimy Hog posted:

I believe COBRA can be retroactive for either 30 or 60 days, so I wouldn't bother

George H.W. oval office posted:

I believe If you step one day into a new month you have coverage for the entire month. So you can quit on the 1st and be good until June before you need COBRA

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I need a prepaid smartphone, that I only need to use for the eBay app. So whatever smartphone that can run it, and is cheapest. I’ll mostly be using my own wifi so it doesn’t need a lot of mobile data or fast speeds. Any recommendations?

Edit: nm, just got a crappy old smartphone from my pops.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 2, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

If I'm interesting in trading in my current car for something else, what is the smartest option? I know there's no right answer but when would buying or leasing make sense? If my credit is terrible or amazing which way do I go?

If you wanna know about the financials of buying a car, check out this thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

If you want recommendations on what car to buy, there's a car buying recommendation thread in AI

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My glasses are a stronger prescription than before. My sunglasses are my old prescription; can I still use them or will the weaker prescription further deteriorate my sight?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My glasses are a stronger prescription than before. My sunglasses are my old prescription; can I still use them or will the weaker prescription further deteriorate my sight?
You'll probably get a headache switching between prescriptions. I would just buy a new pair of cheap prescription sunglasses from Zenni.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Gobbeldygook posted:

You'll probably get a headache switching between prescriptions. I would just buy a new pair of cheap prescription sunglasses from Zenni.

Oh, gotcha. Cool, thanks!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, switching prescriptions like that gives me the mother of all headaches. When you're ordering the sunglasses you should also order a cheap set of regular glasses with the new prescription just in case something happens to the current set.

I keep my spare glasses in the glove box of my car just in case something happens to my glasses while I am out, since I can't drive without them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stupid Question:

If I've begun to acclimate to Biden's frontrunner status, and think that his response to the allegations was suprisingly sound, and believe that said allegations by Reade are now extremely dubious - does that make me a horrible person? Or at least, an anathema to DnD/C-Spam? Would I get torn apart if I show my face in there?

I don't know if I've sincerely turned into a middling bourgeois or if i've chameleoned into one to prevent further ethics-based mental anxiety from ruining my quarantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grouchio posted:

Stupid Question:

If I've begun to acclimate to Biden's frontrunner status, and think that his response to the allegations was suprisingly sound, and believe that said allegations by Reade are now extremely dubious - does that make me a horrible person? Or at least, an anathema to DnD/C-Spam? Would I get torn apart if I show my face in there?

I don't know if I've sincerely turned into a middling bourgeois or if i've chameleoned into one to prevent further ethics-based mental anxiety from ruining my quarantine.

I’m not going to open the can of worms by asking why you think Reade’s allegations are “extremely dubious”, but I can answer that yes, it does make you anathema to those fora.