Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

Jacob's reaction really comes out of nowhere. I think Meyer meant for it to be some sort of dramatic irony, since he ends up imprinting on Bella and Edward's kid :barf: , but it comes out of nowhere. Rough sex is by far the least dangerous thing Bella has done in the entire series.

(Spoilered in case anyone is blessedly unaware of how the love triangle resolves itself)

Jacob comes across worse and worse every time he shows up. It's like as soon as she needed to create this forced love triangle Jacob transformed into a super creepy weirdo. I guess it works with the werewolves having zero control over their rage...I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Jacob's reaction really comes out of nowhere. I think Meyer meant for it to be some sort of dramatic irony, since he ends up imprinting on Bella and Edward's kid :barf: , but it comes out of nowhere. Rough sex is by far the least dangerous thing Bella has done in the entire series.

(Spoilered in case anyone is blessedly unaware of how the love triangle resolves itself)

Ahahahahahahahahahhahaaaaaa delightful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Up Circle posted:

Jacob comes across worse and worse every time he shows up. It's like as soon as she needed to create this forced love triangle Jacob transformed into a super creepy weirdo. I guess it works with the werewolves having zero control over their rage...I guess...

Meyer seems to have a pretty major problem with characterization, in that she has trouble grasping the complexity of humans and handling moral ambiguity. When she needs someone to be a foil or be placed in the wrong, she doesn't have any tools in her box except what's essentially character assassination: make them abruptly behave in an awful way counter to how they were before. Sometimes it's permanent, sometimes it's a character suddenly becoming an extreme rear end in a top hat because the book needs to paint them as flawed or wrong in a given moment.

Mike Newton is actually the best example other than Jacob because he's the one character this happened to who really hasn't gotten a "redemption." When we first met him in the first book, he was a completely pleasant and normal guy! Bella found him a little too clingy in his obvious crush on her, but he never seemed to actually overstep any boundaries or do anything that could result in someone disliking him. The book ends with him giving up on Bella and finding a girlfriend in an even less important side character. Despite this, Bella and Edward immediately began expressing hatred for him; in Midnight Sun Edward is very explicitly fantasizing about slaughtering him for daring to shower attention on the girl he's interested in, and since the first chapter establishes how much murder is on his mind as he tries to suppress his desire to feed I have no reason to believe it's just exaggeration.

I should also point out that in general, all of Bella's friends except possibly Angela suffer from this. Meyer needed Bella to have an immediate group of human friends she could have scenes with, so almost everyone at the school instantly takes a liking to her and tries to befriend her on the spot. When the plot begins moving away from high school drama, they can now start behaving in ways that Meyer paints as bad, the most prominent of which is Jessica (very reasonably) stopping associating with Bella after she suddenly dissociates in the middle of the road and fails to ever apologize properly or get help.

Come New Moon and suddenly Mike is a dickhead. Meyer needs a foil for Jacob to help paint him as a nice guy that Bella could reasonably consider an alternative to Edward and thus set up a love triangle scenario, so Mike abruptly breaks up with Jessica and becomes a weird loser who openly lusts over Bella and behaves awfully on a night out to the movies. By the time Breaking Dawn rolls around, he's been paired back up with Jessica (because he's no longer necessary as a foil for anyone) but his new character as "That weird guy who obsessed over Bella when he shouldn't have" has been made permanent. He exists purely as the butt of a joke.

There's also the problem where Meyer seems to let her own opinion of the way things should be going influence Bella's point of view. It's very, very rare that the way Bella looks at something is outright presented as wrong outside of attempts to set up red herrings, no matter how aggravatingly obvious it is. She often makes observations that the narration and later context seem to suggest should be taken as fact, which usually involve the uncanny ability to identify other characters' motivations. Unless we're explicitly told later on to disregard that, any of Bella's observations have an implicit factual nature behind them.

Charlie probably gets hit with this the most. He does suffer the character assassination form when Meyer has him disable Bella's truck and later dismiss Jacob's sexual assault on his daughter (both things I can't credibly say he would have done, knowing everything about him), but for the most part everything he does as a father is completely reasonable but Meyer needs him as a disapproving father figure to be avoided.

As I've said many times, from Charlie's perspective these books are the tale of his whiny brat of a daughter falling in love with a weird rich kid and steadily losing her mind and engaging in incredibly dangerous and impulsive behavior because of it. But because Bella and Edward's love is pure and good and Caucasian, Bella rolls her eyes at him and engages in plots to hide information from him. She even repeatedly threatens him with making him relive his ex-wife's abandoning of him when she needs to press on his old wounds a bit, and the books never once call out how horrific that is. Meanwhile, Charlie gives her far more privilege and love than she ever shows herself as deserving. But unless told otherwise, Bella is always right and thus Charlie is just a curmudgeonly old man who doesn't get it.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 2, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found three extremely good articles written a decade (!) ago about the series. It's a breakdown on the subtle racism present and how it intersects with Mormon teachings. They do have spoilers if you're super serious about that.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100425031135/http://www.womanist-musings.com/2010/04/monstrous-musings-got-vampire-privilege.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20100509060436/http://www.womanist-musings.com/2010/05/monstrous-musings-got-vampire-privilege.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20111128130908/http://www.womanist-musings.com/2011/11/monstrous-musings-race-lessons-from.html

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

chitoryu12 posted:

In this case, the problem is less "rough sex" and more "Bella needs to rely on her husband, who is strong enough to lift a car and whose penis is literally a rock-hard shaft, will maintain perfect control while losing his virginity to the human he has an extreme desire for and not accidentally pulverize her lower body with one thrust."
It feels like this whole thing could have been resolved more safely with the acknowledgement that sex is more than PIV intercourse.

I mean everything has a risk with Edward's strength but reasonably that risk could be more broken hand then broken spine and ribs.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 28, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PetraCore posted:

It feels like this whole thing could have been resolved more safely with the acknowledgement that sex is more than PIV intercourse.

Mormon.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oh yeah, I know, and also Meyer really wanted Edward and Bella to have a kid, although I maintain you could accomplish that without PIV if you're creative.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I was actually kind of intrigued by Jacob's plight, watching all his friends suddenly change and begin to lose himself as well, all specifically because of the Cullens parking themselves nearby. He was a smart kid, could have done anything with his life, and suddenly he's a werewolf stuck dealing with vampires. But then it turns out the only problem with this new arrangement is that he doesn't have Bella.

I could "kinda" buy Jacob's character shift stemming from him becoming a monster himself, but that doesn't seem to be Meyer's intent, and the unsettling body horror element seems to have given way to mild annoyances. Apart from poor Leah, I guess, who has a lot more to deal with.

It would be kind of funny if it turned out Mike was secretly transforming into a Leprechaun or something and that's why his personality completely changes.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Grammarchist posted:

I could "kinda" buy Jacob's character shift stemming from him becoming a monster himself, but that doesn't seem to be Meyer's intent, and the unsettling body horror element seems to have given way to mild annoyances. Apart from poor Leah, I guess, who has a lot more to deal with.

I would love this whole series from Leah's point of view. She's the only girl in a super duper manly old boys' club, and her backstory is legitimately tragic. Imagine her gaining confidence in her abilities, coming to peace with her breakup, and showing the tribe that women can be powerful protectors as well. That's not exactly a ground-breaking hero's journey, but at least it would be interesting.

But nope, she's a bitter harpy and we're stuck with a protagonist whose MO is to launch into hysterics every time the plot moves forward.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

I would love this whole series from Leah's point of view. She's the only girl in a super duper manly old boys' club, and her backstory is legitimately tragic. Imagine her gaining confidence in her abilities, coming to peace with her breakup, and showing the tribe that women can be powerful protectors as well. That's not exactly a ground-breaking hero's journey, but at least it would be interesting.

But nope, she's a bitter harpy and we're stuck with a protagonist whose MO is to launch into hysterics every time the plot moves forward.

It would also make Harry Clearwater actually have meaning as a person. As he stands now, he’s a plot device that only exists to die so a misunderstanding can be created in New Moon. But to Leah, she’s her beloved father who just died from the shock of seeing her become a wolf. Leah is the only member of the pack who can’t even find enjoyment in her powers because she has serious trauma related to it, in addition to all the drama among the tribe.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The live journal “Das Sporking” years ago had categories counting what they felt were the most common offenses in the books and one was called “Let’s poo poo on Leah” because it happens so often. I think I brought this up before but also remember that Leah is the name of one of Meyers’s sister-in-laws - several of the secondary and tertiary characters are named after family (Seth is another example) but it comes off weird at best after what this character goes through.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 5: Isle Esme

quote:

“Houston?" I asked, raising my eyebrows as we reached the gate in Seattle.

“Just a stop along the way,” Edward assured me with a grin.

Okay but what if Jasper actually convinced Bella that their honeymoon needed to be cowboy-themed.

quote:

It felt like I’d barely fallen asleep when he woke me. I was groggy as he pulled me through the terminals, struggling to remember how to open my eyes after every blink. It took me a few minutes to catch up with what was going on when we stopped at the international counter to check in for our next flight.

“Rio de Janeiro?” I asked with slightly more trepidation.

“Another stop,” he told me.

The flight to South America was long but comfortable in the wide first-class seat, with Edward’s arms cradled around me. I slept myself out and awoke unusually alert as we circled toward the airport with the light of the setting sun slanting through the plane’s windows.

We didn’t stay in the airport to connect with another flight as I’d expected. Instead we took a taxi through the dark, teeming, living streets of Rio. Unable to understand a word of Edward’s Portuguese instructions to the driver, I guessed that we were off to find a hotel before the next leg of our journey. A sharp twinge of something very close to stage fright twisted in the pit of my stomach as I considered that. The taxi continued through the swarming crowds until they thinned somewhat, and we appeared to be nearing the extreme western edge of the city, heading into the ocean.

We stopped at the docks.

Edward led the way down the long line of white yachts moored in the night-blackened water. The boat he stopped at was smaller than the others, sleeker, obviously built for speed instead of space. Still luxurious, though, and more graceful than the rest. He leaped in lightly, despite the heavy bags he carried. He dropped those on the deck and turned to help me carefully over the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE

quote:

I watched in silence while he prepared the boat for departure, surprised at how skilled and comfortable he seemed, because he’d never mentioned an interest in boating before. But then again, he was good at just about everything.

As he's over a hundred years old, I would be quite confused and disappointed if Edward didn't take that time to get good at everything even if it does contribute to his character being eye-rolling.

quote:

As we headed due east into the open ocean, I reviewed basic geography in my head. As far as I could remember, there wasn’t much east of Brazil… until you got to Africa.

But Edward sped forward while the lights of Rio faded and ultimately disappeared behind us. On his face was a familiar exhilarated smile, the one produced by any form of speed. The boat plunged through the waves and I was showered with sea spray.

Finally the curiosity I’d suppressed so long got the best of me.

“Are we going much farther?” I asked.

It wasn’t like him to forget that I was human, but I wondered if he planned for us to live on this small craft for any length of time.

Okay maybe this is the fic we needs. Edward just forgets about human needs and does their honeymoon on a motorboat for a month.

quote:

“About another half hour.” His eyes took in my hands, clenched on the seat, and he grinned.

Oh well, I thought to myself. He was a vampire, after all. Maybe we were going to Atlantis.

That would make this book way too interesting, so no.

quote:

Twenty minutes later, he called my name over the roar of the engine.

“Bella, look there.” He pointed straight ahead.

I saw only blackness at first, and the moon’s white trail across the water. But I searched the space where he pointed until I found a low black shape breaking into the sheen of moonlight on the waves. As I squinted into the darkness, the silhouette became more detailed. The shape grew into a squat, irregular triangle, with one side trailing longer than the other before sinking into the waves. We drew closer, and I could see the outline was feathery, swaying to the light breeze.

And then my eyes refocused and the pieces all made sense: a small island rose out of the water ahead of us, waving with palm fronds, a beach glowing pale in the light of the moon.

“Where are we?” I murmured in wonder while he shifted course, heading around to the north end of the island.

He heard me, despite the noise of the engine, and smiled a wide smile that gleamed in the moonlight.

“This is Isle Esme.”

Meyer seems a bit confused about geography here. They turned east from Rio, but Rio is actually on a southern coast of Brazil due to the big bulge on its eastern side. They would have been motoring along the coast rather than out into open ocean.

quote:

The boat slowed dramatically, drawing with precision into position against a short dock constructed of wooden planks, bleached into whiteness by the moon. The engine cut off, and the silence that followed was profound. There was nothing but the waves, slapping lightly against the boat, and the rustle of the breeze in the palms. The air was warm, moist, and fragrant—like the steam left behind after a hot shower.

“Isle Esme?” My voice was low, but it still sounded too loud as it broke into the quiet night.

“A gift from Carlisle—Esme offered to let us borrow it.”

A gift. Who gives an island as a gift? I frowned. I hadn’t realized that Edward’s extreme generosity was a learned behavior.

Yeah but Carlisle is actually a decent person who does good things in undeath. Edward is a brat who gives out expensive gifts to make you like him.

quote:

He placed the suitcases on the dock and then turned back, smiling his perfect smile as he reached for me. Instead of taking my hand, he pulled me right up into his arms.

“Aren’t you supposed to wait for the threshold?” I asked, breathless, as he sprung lightly out of the boat.

He grinned. “I’m nothing if not thorough.”

Gripping the handles of both huge steamer trunks in one hand and cradling me in the other arm, he carried me up the dock and onto a pale sand pathway through the dark vegetation.

For a short while it was pitch black in the jungle-like growth, and then I could see a warm light ahead. It was about at the point when I realized the light was a house—the two bright, perfect squares were wide windows framing a front door—that the stage fright attacked again, more forcefully than before, worse than when I’d thought we were headed for a hotel.

Because there's obviously no islands in the real life location, Isle Esme was played in the film by Casa em Paraty, a secluded beach house near Rio de Janeiro only accessible by helicopter or boat.

quote:

My heart thudded audibly against my ribs, and my breath seemed to get stuck in my throat. I felt Edward’s eyes on my face, but I refused to meet his gaze. I stared straight ahead, seeing nothing.

He didn’t ask what I was thinking, which was out of character for him. I guessed that meant that he was just as nervous as I suddenly was.

He set the suitcases on the deep porch to open the doors—they were unlocked.

Edward looked down at me, waiting until I met his gaze before he stepped through the threshold.

He carried me through the house, both of us very quiet, flipping on lights as he went. My vague impression of the house was that it was quite large for a tiny island, and oddly familiar. I’d gotten used to the pale-on-pale color scheme preferred by the Cullens; it felt like home. I couldn’t focus on any specifics, though. The violent pulse beating behind my ears made everything a little blurry.

Of course the Cullens like everything white.

quote:

Then Edward stopped and turned on the last light.

The room was big and white, and the far wall was mostly glass—standard décor for my vampires. Outside, the moon was bright on white sand and, just a few yards away from the house, glistening waves. But I barely noted that part. I was more focused on the absolutely huge white bed in the center of the room, hung with billowy clouds of mosquito netting.

In case any of you are millionaires, Isle Esme is still open for rent!

quote:

Edward set me on my feet. “I’ll… go get the luggage.”

The room was too warm, stuffier than the tropical night outside. A bead of sweat dewed up on the nape of my neck. I walked slowly forward until I could reach out and touch the foamy netting. For some reason I felt the need to make sure everything was real.

I didn’t hear Edward return. Suddenly, his wintry finger caressed the back of my neck, wiping away the drop of perspiration.

“It’s a little hot here,” he said apologetically. “I thought… that would be best.”

“Thorough,” I murmured under my breath, and he chuckled. It was a nervous sound, rare for Edward.

“I tried to think of everything that would make this… easier,” he admitted.

Edward hauls a space heater into the bedroom.

quote:

I swallowed loudly, still facing away from him. Had there ever been a honeymoon like this before?

I knew the answer to that. No. There had not.

“I was wondering,” Edward said slowly, “if… first… maybe you’d like to take a midnight swim with me?” He took a deep breath, and his voice was more at ease when he spoke again. “The water will be very warm. This is the kind of beach you approve of.”

“Sounds nice.” My voice broke.

“I’m sure you’d like a human minute or two.… It was a long journey.”

Why is he talking like an alien?

quote:

I nodded woodenly. I felt barely human; maybe a few minutes alone would help.

His lips brushed against my throat, just below my ear. He chuckled once and his cool breath tickled my overheated skin. “Don’t take too long, Mrs. Cullen.”

I jumped a little at the sound of my new name.

His lips brushed down my neck to the tip of my shoulder. “I’ll wait for you in the water.”

Wait, now he's turning on the charm effortlessly just one sentence later?

quote:

He walked past me to the French door that opened right onto the beach sand. On the way, he shrugged out of his shirt, dropping it on the floor, and then slipped through the door into the moonlit night. The sultry, salty air swirled into the room behind him.

Did my skin burst into flames? I had to look down to check. Nope, nothing was burning. At least, not visibly.

I reminded myself to breathe, and then I stumbled toward the giant suitcase that Edward had opened on top of a low white dresser. It must be mine, because my familiar bag of toiletries was right on top, and there was a lot of pink in there, but I didn’t recognize even one article of clothing. As I pawed through the neatly folded piles—looking for something familiar and comfortable, a pair of old sweats maybe—it came to my attention that there was an awful lot of sheer lace and skimpy satin in my hands. Lingerie. Very lingerie-ish lingerie, with French tags.

I didn’t know how or when, but someday, Alice was going to pay for this.

Bella's lingerie was one of the few movie costumes not put up for auction. This is a now-rare and discontinued piece from Agent Provocateur, a brand that you may recall being namedropped in the William Control thread as well.

quote:

Giving up, I went to the bathroom and peeked out through the long windows that opened to the same beach as the French doors. I couldn’t see him; I guessed he was there in the water, not bothering to come up for air. In the sky above, the moon was lopsided, almost full, and the sand was bright white under its shine. A small movement caught my eye—draped over a bend in one of the palm trees that fringed the beach, the rest of his clothes were swaying in the light breeze.

A rush of heat flashed across my skin again.

I took a couple of deep breaths and then went to the mirrors above the long stretch of counters. I looked exactly like I’d been sleeping on a plane all day. I found my brush and yanked it harshly through the snarls on the back of my neck until they were smoothed out and the bristles were full of hair. I brushed my teeth meticulously, twice. Then I washed my face and splashed water on the back of my neck, which was feeling feverish. That felt so good that I washed my arms as well, and finally I decided to just give up and take the shower. I knew it was ridiculous to shower before swimming, but I needed to calm down, and hot water was one reliable way to do that.

Also, shaving my legs again seemed like a pretty good idea.

There are multiple articles talking about why saving sex until marriage is actually a pretty bad idea. I can't find the specific one I'm looking for, but in general it tends to cause a lot of psychological hang-ups for the woman in relation to sex that pervade even after losing their virginity. The article in particular I remember had the woman tying her self-worth to virginity so strongly that she began to feel like she was now worthless as a girl since she had sex, but she continued with it even when she didn't want to because she felt that she had a duty to her husband.

When they figure this out, they pretty quickly come to realize what "no sex until marriage" is really about : controlling women.

quote:

When I was done, I grabbed a huge white towel off the counter and wrapped it under my arms.

Then I was faced with a dilemma I hadn’t considered. What was I supposed to put on? Not a swimsuit, obviously. But it seemed silly to put my clothes back on, too. I didn’t even want to think about the things Alice had packed for me.

My breathing started to accelerate again and my hands trembled—so much for the calming effects of the shower. I started to feel a little dizzy, apparently a full-scale panic attack on the way. I sat down on the cool tile floor in my big towel and put my head between my knees. I prayed he wouldn’t decide to come look for me before I could pull myself together. I could imagine what he would think if he saw me going to pieces this way. It wouldn’t be hard for him to convince himself that we were making a mistake.

Yeah, this ain't good.

quote:

And I wasn’t freaking out because I thought we were making a mistake. Not at all. I was freaking out because I had no idea how to do this, and I was afraid to walk out of this room and face the unknown. Especially in French lingerie. I knew I wasn’t ready for that yet.

This felt exactly like having to walk out in front of a theater full of thousands with no idea what my lines were.

How did people do this—swallow all their fears and trust someone else so implicitly with every imperfection and fear they had—with less than the absolute commitment Edward had given me? If it weren’t Edward out there, if I didn’t know in every cell of my body that he loved me as much as I loved him—unconditionally and irrevocably and, to be honest, irrationally—I’d never be able to get up off this floor.

Well, they have healthy relationships and don't tie their entire value as a person to having the perfect man in love with them!

quote:

But it was Edward out there, so I whispered the words “Don’t be a coward” under my breath and scrambled to my feet. I hitched the towel tighter under my arms and marched determinedly from the bathroom. Past the suitcase full of lace and the big bed without looking at either. Out the open glass door onto the powder-fine sand.

Everything was black-and-white, leached colorless by the moon. I walked slowly across the warm powder, pausing beside the curved tree where he had left his clothes. I laid my hand against the rough bark and checked my breathing to make sure it was even. Or even enough.

I looked across the low ripples, black in the darkness, searching for him.

He wasn’t hard to find. He stood, his back to me, waist deep in the midnight water, staring up at the oval moon. The pallid light of the moon turned his skin a perfect white, like the sand, like the moon itself, and made his wet hair black as the ocean. He was motionless, his hands resting palms down against the water; the low waves broke around him as if he were a stone. I stared at the smooth lines of his back, his shoulders, his arms, his neck, the flawless shape of him.…

His asscheeks gleaming like the surface of the sun.

quote:

The fire was no longer a flash burn across my skin—it was slow and deep now; it smoldered away all my awkwardness, my shy uncertainty. I slipped the towel off without hesitation, leaving it on the tree with his clothes, and walked out into the white light; it made me pale as the snowy sand, too.

I couldn’t hear the sound of my footsteps as I walked to the water’s edge, but I guessed that he could. Edward did not turn. I let the gentle swells break over my toes, and found that he’d been right about the temperature—it was very warm, like bath water. I stepped in, walking carefully across the invisible ocean floor, but my care was unnecessary; the sand continued perfectly smooth, sloping gently toward Edward. I waded through the weightless current till I was at his side, and then I placed my hand lightly over his cool hand lying on the water.

“Beautiful,” I said, looking up at the moon, too.

“It’s all right,” he answered, unimpressed. He turned slowly to face me; little waves rolled away from his movement and broke against my skin. His eyes looked silver in his ice-colored face. He twisted his hand up so that he could twine our fingers beneath the surface of the water. It was warm enough that his cool skin did not raise goose bumps on mine.

“But I wouldn’t use the word beautiful,” he continued. “Not with you standing here in comparison.”

I half-smiled, then raised my free hand—it didn’t tremble now—and placed it over his heart. White on white; we matched, for once. He shuddered the tiniest bit at my warm touch. His breath came rougher now.

Shaved her legs and nothing else.

quote:

“I promised we would try,” he whispered, suddenly tense. “If… if I do something wrong, if I hurt you, you must tell me at once.”

I nodded solemnly, keeping my eyes on his. I took another step through the waves and leaned my head against his chest.

“Don’t be afraid,” I murmured. “We belong together.”

"Like rama lama lama, ka dinga da dinga dong."

quote:

I was abruptly overwhelmed by the truth of my own words. This moment was so perfect, so right, there was no way to doubt it.

His arms wrapped around me, holding me against him, summer and winter. It felt like every nerve ending in my body was a live wire.

“Forever,” he agreed, and then pulled us gently into deeper water.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Taking your wife to your parents' loveshack island for your honeymoon seems like a weird flex, but ok.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Outside of this book, I was reading something else when a point was brought up about Jasper. If you read the novella about Bree Tanner, it provides a pretty horrific scene: after the battle, Jasper seems to be using his power to purposefully drive her into a rage that could lead to him killing her.

I honestly can't believe what Meyer is doing at any time with these characters.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I bet Bella's mom is going to have some insane travel plans for the next few years. She doesn't seem like the kind of person able to glimpse the Cullens' lifestyle without having their appetite whetted. Like that one guy at work who finds out you went hiking over the weekend and buys an expensive off-road truck the next day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The sun, hot on the bare skin of my back, woke me in the morning. Late morning, maybe afternoon, I wasn’t sure. Everything besides the time was clear, though; I knew exactly where I was—the bright room with the big white bed, brilliant sunlight streaming through the open doors. The clouds of netting would soften the shine.

I didn’t open my eyes. I was too happy to change anything, no matter how small. The only sounds were the waves outside, our breathing, my heartbeat.…

I was comfortable, even with the baking sun. His cool skin was the perfect antidote to the heat. Lying across his wintry chest, his arms wound around me, felt very easy and natural. I wondered idly what I’d been so panicky about last night. My fears all seemed silly now.

There you go. A sex scene so off-screen that you barely even know it happened at all.

quote:

His fingers softly trailed down the contours of my spine, and I knew that he knew I was awake. I kept my eyes shut and tightened my arms around his neck, holding myself closer to him.

He didn’t speak; his fingers moved up and down my back, barely touching it as he lightly traced patterns on my skin.

I would have been happy to lie here forever, to never disturb this moment, but my body had other ideas. I laughed at my impatient stomach. It seemed sort of prosaic to be hungry after all that had passed last night. Like being brought back down to earth from some great height.

“What’s funny?” he murmured, still stroking my back. The sound of his voice, serious and husky, brought with it a deluge of memories from the night, and I felt a blush color my face and neck.

Literally hosed the memory out of her.

quote:

To answer his question, my stomach growled. I laughed again. “You just can’t escape being human for very long.”

I waited, but he did not laugh with me. Slowly, sinking through the many layers of bliss that clouded my head, came the realization of a different atmosphere outside my own glowing sphere of happiness.

I opened my eyes; the first thing I saw was the pale, almost silvery skin of his throat, the arc of his chin above my face. His jaw was taut. I propped myself up on my elbow so I could see his face.

He was staring at the frothy canopy above us, and he didn’t look at me as I studied his grave features. His expression was a shock—it sent a physical jolt through my body.

“Edward,” I said, a strange little catch in my throat, “what is it? What’s wrong?”

“You have to ask?” His voice was hard, cynical.

My first instinct, the product of a lifetime of insecurities, was to wonder what I had done wrong. I thought through everything that had happened, but I couldn’t find any sour note in the memory. It had all been simpler than I’d expected; we’d fit together like corresponding pieces, made to match up. This had given me a secret satisfaction—we were compatible physically, as well as all the other ways. Fire and ice, somehow existing together without destroying each other. More proof that I belonged with him.

Tab A into Slot B!

quote:

I couldn’t think of any part that would make him look like this—so severe and cold. What had I missed?

His finger smoothed the worried lines on my forehead.

“What are you thinking?” he whispered.

“You’re upset. I don’t understand. Did I…?” I couldn’t finish.

His eyes tightened. “How badly are you hurt, Bella? The truth—don’t try to downplay it.”

“Hurt?” I repeated; my voice came out higher than usual because the word took me so by surprise.

He raised one eyebrow, his lips a tight line.

I made a quick assessment, stretching my body automatically, tensing and flexing my muscles. There was stiffness, and a lot of soreness, too, it was true, but mostly there was the odd sensation that my bones all had become unhinged at the joints, and I had changed halfway into the consistency of a jellyfish. It was not an unpleasant feeling.

No, I will not find a fanfic that tries to determine what occurred.

quote:

And then I was a little angry, because he was darkening this most perfect of all mornings with his pessimistic assumptions. “Why would you jump to that conclusion? I’ve never been better than I am now.”

His eyes closed. “Stop that.”

“Stop what?”

“Stop acting like I’m not a monster for having agreed to this.”

“Edward!” I whispered, really upset now. He was pulling my bright memory through the darkness, staining it. “Don’t ever say that.”

He didn’t open his eyes; it was like he didn’t want to see me.

“Look at yourself, Bella. Then tell me I’m not a monster.”

This girl woke up happy and smiling and he's still finding an excuse to angst about how terrible he is. Either this whining is a permanent feature of the rest of his existence or she really lost her memories.

quote:

Wounded, shocked, I followed his instruction unthinkingly and then gasped.

What had happened to me? I couldn’t make sense of the fluffy white snow that clung to my skin. I shook my head, and a cascade of white drifted out of my hair.

I pinched one soft white bit between my fingers. It was a piece of down.

“Why am I covered in feathers?” I asked, confused.

He exhaled impatiently. “I bit a pillow. Or two. That’s not what I’m talking about.”

Not an uncommon event.

quote:

“You… bit a pillow? Why?”

“Look, Bella!” he almost growled. He took my hand—very gingerly—and stretched my arm out. “Look at that.”

This time, I saw what he meant.

Under the dusting of feathers, large purplish bruises were beginning to blossom across the pale skin of my arm. My eyes followed the trail they made up to my shoulder, and then down across my ribs. I pulled my hand free to poke at a discoloration on my left forearm, watching it fade where I touched and then reappear. It throbbed a little.

So lightly that he was barely touching me, Edward placed his hand against the bruises on my arm, one at a time, matching his long fingers to the patterns.

“Oh,” I said.

I tried to remember this—to remember pain—but I couldn’t. I couldn’t recall a moment when his hold had been too tight, his hands too hard against me. I only remembered wanting him to hold me tighter, and being pleased when he did.…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOidGUY4Dm0

As expected, the movie actually shows us what happened. Edward does a tad bit more than bite some pillows. Because Edward is stretching out this scene in the book way longer than he has to by being emo, they just have Bella calm him down mid-entry and they wake up fine.

quote:

“I’m… so sorry, Bella,” he whispered while I stared at the bruises. “I knew better than this. I should not have—” He made a low, revolted sound in the back of his throat. “I am more sorry than I can tell you.”

He threw his arm over his face and became perfectly still.

quote:

I sat for one long moment in total astonishment, trying to come to terms—now that I understood it—with his misery. It was so contrary to the way that I felt that it was difficult to process.

The shock wore off slowly, leaving nothing in its absence. Emptiness. My mind was blank. I couldn’t think of what to say. How could I explain it to him in the right way? How could I make him as happy as I was—or as I had been, a moment ago?

Yes, how do you deal with a guy who's so determined to be upset that he ignores when you're happy with what happened?

quote:

I touched his arm, and he didn’t respond. I wrapped my fingers around his wrist and tried to pry his arm off his face, but I could have been yanking on a sculpture for all the good it did me.

“Edward.”

He didn’t move.

“Edward?”

Nothing. So, this would be a monologue, then.

Oh God.

quote:

I’m not sorry, Edward. I’m… I can’t even tell you. I’m so happy. That doesn’t cover it. Don’t be angry. Don’t. I’m really f—”

“Do not say the word fine.” His voice was ice cold. “If you value my sanity, do not say that you are fine.”

“But I am,” I whispered.

“Bella,” he almost moaned. “Don’t.”

“No. You don’t, Edward.”

He moved his arm; his gold eyes watched me warily.

“Don’t ruin this,” I told him. “I. Am. Happy.”

“I’ve already ruined this,” he whispered.

“Cut it out,” I snapped.

I heard his teeth grind together.

I feel like I would have thrown a pillow at him and stormed out of the room by this point.

quote:

“Ugh!” I groaned. “Why can’t you just read my mind already? It’s so inconvenient to be a mental mute!”

His eyes widened a little bit, distracted in spite of himself.

“That’s a new one. You love that I can’t read your mind.”

“Not today.”

He stared at me. “Why?”

I threw my hands up in frustration, feeling an ache in my shoulder that I ignored. My palms fell back against his chest with a sharp smack. “Because all this angst would be completely unnecessary if you could see how I feel right now! Or five minutes ago, anyway. I was perfectly happy. Totally and completely blissed out. Now—well, I’m sort of pissed, actually.”

"You should be angry at me.”

“Well, I am. Does that make you feel better?”

He sighed. “No. I don’t think anything could make me feel better now.”

That,” I snapped. “That right there is why I’m angry. You are killing my buzz, Edward.”

He rolled his eyes and shook his head.

As much as I want to make a joke about Bella's overwhelming horniness flowing over, this is actually an incredibly aggravating and pointless scene. We've already had the sex happen! Bella is happy and nobody died! Edward finding an excuse to be unhappy and dramatically mope anyway despite everything going right is just extending this chapter for no reason.

quote:

I took a deep breath. I was feeling more of the soreness now, but it wasn’t that bad. Sort of like the day after lifting weights. I’d done that with Renée during one of her fitness obsessions. Sixty-five lunges with ten pounds in each hand. I couldn’t walk the next day. This was not as painful as that had been by half.

I dunno if that's grounds for mocking Edward for being less dangerous than exercise or mocking Bella for being weak as poo poo.

quote:

I swallowed my irritation and tried to make my voice soothing. “We knew this was going to be tricky. I thought that was assumed. And then—well, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. And this is really nothing.” I brushed my fingers along my arm. “I think for a first time, not knowing what to expect, we did amazing. With a little practice—”

His expression was suddenly so livid that I broke off mid-sentence.

“Assumed? Did you expect this, Bella? Were you anticipating that I would hurt you? Were you thinking it would be worse? Do you consider the experiment a success because you can walk away from it? No broken bones—that equals a victory?”

Edward is literally too vanilla to gently caress.

quote:

I waited, letting him get it all out. Then I waited some more while his breathing went back to normal. When his eyes were calm, I answered, speaking with slow precision.

“I didn’t know what to expect—but I definitely did not expect how… how… just wonderful and perfect it was.” My voice dropped to a whisper, my eyes slipped from his face down to my hands. “I mean, I don’t know how it was for you, but it was like that for me.”

The question finally gets answered of "Does he have feeling down there?"

quote:

A cool finger pulled my chin back up.

“Is that what you’re worried about?” he said through his teeth. “That I didn’t enjoy myself?”

My eyes stayed down. “I know it’s not the same. You’re not human. I just was trying to explain that, for a human, well, I can’t imagine that life gets any better than that.”

He was quiet for so long that, finally, I had to look up. His face was softer now, thoughtful.

“It seems that I have more to apologize for.” He frowned. “I didn’t dream that you would construe the way I feel about what I did to you to mean that last night wasn’t… well, the best night of my existence. But I don’t want to think of it that way, not when you were…”

My lips curved up a little at the edges. “Really? The best ever?” I asked in a small voice.

This dude hasn't even jacked off in over a century. 5 seconds would probably be enough to make it the best ever.

quote:

He took my face between his hands, still introspective. “I spoke to Carlisle after you and I made our bargain, hoping he could help me. Of course he warned me that this would be very dangerous for you.” A shadow crossed his expression. “He had faith in me, though—faith I didn’t deserve.”

Oh God he had Carlisle teach him how to gently caress.

quote:

I started to protest, and he put two fingers over my lips before I could comment.

“I also asked him what I should expect. I didn’t know what it would be for me… what with my being a vampire.” He smiled halfheartedly. “Carlisle told me it was a very powerful thing, like nothing else. He told me physical love was something I should not treat lightly. With our rarely changing temperaments, strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways. But he said I did not need to worry about that part—you had already altered me so completely.” This time his smile was more genuine.

“I spoke to my brothers, too. They told me it was a very great pleasure. Second only to drinking human blood.” A line creased his brow. “But I’ve tasted your blood, and there could be no blood more potent than that.… I don’t think they were wrong, really. Just that it was different for us. Something more.”

It's even more awkward now!

quote:

“It was more. It was everything.”

“That doesn’t change the fact that it was wrong. Even if it were possible that you really did feel that way.”

“What does that mean? Do you think I’m making this up? Why?”

“To ease my guilt. I can’t ignore the evidence, Bella. Or your history of trying to let me off the hook when I make mistakes.”

All right this has gone on twice as long as it should have.

quote:

I grabbed his chin and leaned forward so that our faces were inches apart. “You listen to me, Edward Cullen. I am not pretending anything for your sake, okay? I didn’t even know there was a reason to make you feel better until you started being all miserable. I’ve never been so happy in all my life—I wasn’t this happy when you decided that you loved me more than you wanted to kill me, or the first morning I woke up and you were there waiting for me.… Not when I heard your voice in the ballet studio”—he flinched at the old memory of my close call with a hunting vampire, but I didn’t pause—“or when you said ‘I do’ and I realized that, somehow, I get to keep you forever. Those are the happiest memories I have, and this is better than any of it. So just deal with it.”

He touched the frown line between my eyebrows. “I’m making you unhappy now. I don’t want to do that.”

I give up.

quote:

“Then don’t you be unhappy. That’s the only thing that’s wrong here.”

His eyes tightened, then he took a deep breath and nodded. “You’re right. The past is past and I can’t do anything to change it. There’s no sense in letting my mood sour this time for you. I’ll do whatever I can to make you happy now.”

I examined his face suspiciously, and he gave me a serene smile.

This is creepily inhuman.

quote:

“Whatever makes me happy?”

My stomach growled at the same time that I asked.

“You’re hungry,” he said quickly. He was swiftly out of the bed, stirring up a cloud of feathers. Which reminded me.

“So, why exactly did you decide to ruin Esme’s pillows?” I asked, sitting up and shaking more down from my hair.

He had already pulled on a pair of loose khaki pants, and he stood by the door, rumpling his hair, dislodging a few feathers of his own.

“I don’t know if I decided to do anything last night,” he muttered. “We’re just lucky it was the pillows and not you.” He inhaled deeply and then shook his head, as if shaking off the dark thought. A very authentic-looking smile spread across his face, but I guessed it took a lot of work to put it there.

She's writing him as either autistic or sociopathic.

quote:

I slid carefully off the high bed and stretched again, more aware, now, of the aches and sore spots. I heard him gasp. He turned away from me, and his hands balled up, knuckles white.

“Do I look that hideous?” I asked, working to keep my tone light. His breath caught, but he didn’t turn, probably to hide his expression from me. I walked to the bathroom to check for myself.

I stared at my naked body in the full-length mirror behind the door.

I’d definitely had worse. There was a faint shadow across one of my cheekbones, and my lips were a little swollen, but other than that, my face was fine. The rest of me was decorated with patches of blue and purple. I concentrated on the bruises that would be the hardest to hide—my arms and my shoulders. They weren’t so bad. My skin marked up easily. By the time a bruise showed I’d usually forgotten how I’d come by it. Of course, these were just developing. I’d look even worse tomorrow. That would not make things any easier.

Had worse from your vampire adventures, or worse from your regular life?

quote:

I looked at my hair, then, and groaned.

“Bella?” He was right there behind me as soon as I’d made a sound.

“I’ll never get this all out of my hair!” I pointed to my head, where it looked like a chicken was nesting. I started picking at the feathers.

“You would be worried about your hair,” he mumbled, but he came to stand behind me, pulling out the feathers much more quickly.

This is like when Superman in the Silver Age kept deploying powers like "super knitting" that was just him being really fast.

quote:

“How did you keep from laughing at this? I look ridiculous.”

He didn’t answer; he just kept plucking. And I knew the answer anyway—there was nothing that would be funny to him in this mood.

“This isn’t going to work,” I sighed after a minute. “It’s all dried in. I’m going to have to try to wash it out.” I turned around, wrapping my arms around his cool waist. “Do you want to help me?”

She's gonna gently caress the sadness out of him.

quote:

“I’d better find some food for you,” he said in a quiet voice, and he gently unwound my arms. I sighed as he disappeared, moving too fast.

It looked like my honeymoon was over. The thought put a big lump in my throat.

When I was mostly feather-free and dressed in an unfamiliar white cotton dress that concealed the worst of the violet blotches, I padded off barefoot to where the smell of eggs and bacon and cheddar cheese was coming from.

Edward stood in front of the stainless steel stove, sliding an omelet onto the light blue plate waiting on the counter. The scent of the food overwhelmed me. I felt like I could eat the plate and the frying pan, too; my stomach snarled.

“Here,” he said. He turned with a smile on his face and set the plate on a small tiled table.

I sat in one of the two metal chairs and started snarfing down the hot eggs. They burned my throat, but I didn’t care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddSGQYdIseE

This scene was deleted from the film, as were a number of scenes trying to develop the characters more.

quote:

He sat down across from me. “I’m not feeding you often enough.”

I swallowed and then reminded him, “I was asleep. This is really good, by the way. Impressive for someone who doesn’t eat.”

“Food Network,” he said, flashing my favorite crooked smile.

As you may recall from the deleted chapters of Twilight, there was originally a scene of Edward watching Food Network to try and figure out how to cook.

quote:

I was happy to see it, happy that he seemed more like his normal self.

“Where did the eggs come from?”

“I asked the cleaning crew to stock the kitchen. A first, for this place. I’ll have to ask them to deal with the feathers.…” He trailed off, his gaze fixed on a space above my head. I didn’t respond, trying to avoid saying anything that would upset him again.

I ate everything, though he’d made enough for two.

“Thank you,” I told him. I leaned across the table to kiss him. He kissed me back automatically, and then suddenly stiffened and leaned away.

I gritted my teeth, and the question I meant to ask came out sounding like an accusation. “You aren’t going to touch me again while we’re here, are you?”

He hesitated, then half-smiled and raised his hand to stroke my cheek. His fingers lingered softly on my skin, and I couldn’t help leaning my face into his palm.

“You know that’s not what I meant.”

He sighed and dropped his hand. “I know. And you’re right.” He paused, lifting his chin slightly. And then he spoke again with firm conviction. “I will not make love with you until you’ve been changed. I will never hurt you again.”

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 1, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Accidentally clicked submit early, so refresh the page if you missed that last scene!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Had worse from your vampire adventures, or worse from your regular life?

Yeah I mean up until now she's been written as so clumsy she shouldn't cross the street without wearing a helmet so I can't imagine she looks that much worse than usual here.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
So here's a fun tidbit for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of reading the 50 Shades books: the corresponding scene in that series (book 3) involves involuntary bruising on their honeymoon as well. However because it's a garbage fire of a book, it plays out like this:

- Ana decides to wear a bikini since they're vacationing in the south of France.
- Christian gets angry because she's showing too much skin around strangers. He takes her back to the yacht for rough sex. He doesn't tell her it's going to be as rough as it is. He purposely bruises her entire body so that she'll be too embarrassed to show skin in public again.
- Ana finds out the next morning, throws things at him in anger.
- Christian placates her by buying her an expensive bracelet. She forgives him and assures him that the sex was great and he shouldn't feel bad.

As emo and drawn out as this is in Breaking Dawn, I don't think anything can ever be as bad as that scene.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

So here's a fun tidbit for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of reading the 50 Shades books: the corresponding scene in that series (book 3) involves involuntary bruising on their honeymoon as well. However because it's a garbage fire of a book, it plays out like this:

- Ana decides to wear a bikini since they're vacationing in the south of France.
- Christian gets angry because she's showing too much skin around strangers. He takes her back to the yacht for rough sex. He doesn't tell her it's going to be as rough as it is. He purposely bruises her entire body so that she'll be too embarrassed to show skin in public again.
- Christian placates her by buying her an expensive bracelet. She forgives him and assures him that the sex was great and he shouldn't feel bad.

As emo and drawn out as this is in Breaking Dawn, I don't think anything can ever be as bad as that scene.

:pwn::d2a:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

That thread is sure gonna be something.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I was going to make a comment about how slightly worrying and normalising of domestic abuse situations the idea of a woman examining herself and just thinking about how to hide bruising would be. Then apparently 50 Shades author saw the same thing and decided that undertones of domestic abuse was too subtle and literally wrote deliberate abuse being equally accepted by the partner? Ugh.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrNemo posted:

I was going to make a comment about how slightly worrying and normalising of domestic abuse situations the idea of a woman examining herself and just thinking about how to hide bruising would be. Then apparently 50 Shades author saw the same thing and decided that undertones of domestic abuse was too subtle and literally wrote deliberate abuse being equally accepted by the partner? Ugh.

With Breaking Dawn, I will accept the explanation that the author is too disconnected from anything but the most generic life that she just wrote this scene unironically without any subtext regarding abuse. Normally I would be hunting for subtext here, but Stephenie Meyer seems that boring.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Yeah, I definitely don't think Stephanie Meyer has any level of self awareness or general awareness regarding this. Combined with the total lack of editorial oversight I'd side with, 'she just didn't realise it could be read that way' unironically.

Certainly I think any subtext in Twilight is more deconstructive psychoanalysis of Stephanie Meyer herself than understanding any message she's trying to convey.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 6: Distractions

quote:

My entertainment became the number-one priority on Isle Esme. We snorkeled (well, I snorkeled while he flaunted his ability to go without oxygen indefinitely). We explored the small jungle that ringed the rocky little peak. We visited the parrots that lived in the canopy on the south end of the island. We watched the sunset from the rocky western cove. We swam with the porpoises that played in the warm, shallow waters there. Or at least I did; when Edward was in the water, the porpoises disappeared as if a shark was near.

I knew what was going on. He was trying to keep me busy, distracted, so that I wouldn’t continue badgering him about the sex thing. Whenever I tried to talk him into taking it easy with one of the million DVDs under the big-screen plasma TV, he would lure me out of the house with magic words like coral reefs and submerged caves and sea turtles. We were going, going, going all day, so that I found myself completely famished and exhausted when the sun eventually set.

I drooped over my plate after I finished dinner every night; once I’d actually fallen asleep right at the table and he’d had to carry me to bed. Part of it was that Edward always made too much food for one, but I was so hungry after swimming and climbing all day that I ate most of it. Then, full and worn out, I could barely keep my eyes open. All part of the plan, no doubt.

This dude is just so weird. All of his actions and dialogue are still coming off as an alien trying to imitate humans, even as we're told he's totally cool and perfect.

quote:

Exhaustion didn’t help much with my attempts at persuasion. But I didn’t give up. I tried reasoning, pleading, and grouching, all to no avail. I was usually unconscious before I could really press my case far. And then my dreams felt so real—nightmares mostly, made more vivid, I guessed, by the too-bright colors of the island—that I woke up tired no matter how long I slept.

About a week or so after we’d gotten to the island, I decided to try compromise.

It had worked for us in the past. I was sleeping in the blue room now. The cleaning crew wasn’t due until the next day, and so the white room still had a snowy blanket of down. The blue room was smaller, the bed more reasonably proportioned. The walls were dark, paneled in teak, and the fittings were all luxurious blue silk.

I’d taken to wearing some of Alice’s lingerie collection to sleep in at night—which weren’t so revealing compared to the scanty bikinis she’d packed for me when it came right down to it. I wondered if she’d seen a vision of why I would want such things, and then shuddered, embarrassed by that thought.

Alice watched them gently caress

quote:

I’d started out slow with innocent ivory satins, worried that revealing more of my skin would be the opposite of helpful, but ready to try anything. Edward seemed to notice nothing, as if I were wearing the same ratty old sweats I wore at home.

The bruises were much better now—yellowing in some places and disappearing altogether in others—so tonight I pulled out one of the scarier pieces as I got ready in the paneled bathroom. It was black, lacy, and embarrassing to look at even when it wasn’t on. I was careful not to look in the mirror before I went back to the bedroom. I didn’t want to lose my nerve.

This is so Mormon.

quote:

I had the satisfaction of watching his eyes pop open wide for just a second before he controlled his expression.

“What do you think?” I asked, pirouetting so that he could see every angle.

He cleared his throat. “You look beautiful. You always do.”

“Thanks,” I said a bit sourly.

I was too tired to resist climbing quickly into the soft bed. He put his arms around me and pulled me against his chest, but this was routine—it was too hot to sleep without his cool body close.

“I’ll make you a deal,” I said sleepily.

“I will not make any deals with you,” he answered.

“You haven’t even heard what I’m offering.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

Negotiating master.

quote:

I sighed. “Dang it. And I really wanted… Oh well.”

He rolled his eyes.

I closed mine and let the bait sit there. I yawned.

It took only a minute—not long enough for me to zonk out.

“All right. What is it you want?”

I gritted my teeth for a second, fighting a smile. If there was one thing he couldn’t resist, it was an opportunity to give me something.

It's the only way he knows how to show love!

quote:

“Well, I was thinking… I know that the whole Dartmouth thing was just supposed to be a cover story, but honestly, one semester of college probably wouldn’t kill me,” I said, echoing his words from long ago, when he’d tried to persuade me to put off becoming a vampire. “Charlie would get a thrill out of Dartmouth stories, I bet. Sure, it might be embarrassing if I can’t keep up with all the brainiacs. Still… eighteen, nineteen. It’s really not such a big difference. It’s not like I’m going to get crow’s feet in the next year.”

He was silent for a long moment. Then, in a low voice, he said, “You would wait. You would stay human.”

I held my tongue, letting the offer sink in.

Weaponized horny.

quote:

“Why are you doing this to me?” he said through his teeth, his tone suddenly angry. “Isn’t it hard enough without all of this?” He grabbed a handful of lace that was ruffled on my thigh. For a moment, I thought he was going to rip it from the seam. Then his hand relaxed. “It doesn’t matter. I won’t make any deals with you.”

“I want to go to college.”

“No, you don’t. And there is nothing that is worth risking your life again. That’s worth hurting you.”

“But I do want to go. Well, it’s not college as much as it’s that I want—I want to be human a little while longer.”

He closed his eyes and exhaled through his nose. “You are making me insane, Bella. Haven’t we had this argument a million times, you always begging to be a vampire without delay?”

“Yes, but… well, I have a reason to be human that I didn’t have before.”

“What’s that?”

“Guess,” I said, and I dragged myself off the pillows to kiss him.

Bella's finally been brought back from her insane obsession with immortality by the sheer power of dick. Which is quite odd, considering that apparently vampires can still gently caress!

quote:

He kissed me back, but not in a way that made me think I was winning. It was more like he was being careful not to hurt my feelings; he was completely, maddeningly in control of himself. Gently, he pulled me away after a moment and cradled me against his chest.

“You are so human, Bella. Ruled by your hormones.” He chuckled.

“That’s the whole point, Edward. I like this part of being human. I don’t want to give it up yet. I don’t want to wait through years of being a blood-crazed newborn for some part of this to come back to me.”

Bella Swan: likes literally nothing about existence except sex.

quote:

I yawned, and he smiled.

“You’re tired. Sleep, love.” He started humming the lullaby he’d composed for me when we first met.

“I wonder why I’m so tired,” I muttered sarcastically. “That couldn’t be part of your scheme or anything.”

He just chuckled once and went back to humming.

“For as tired as I’ve been, you’d think I’d sleep better.”

The song broke off. “You’ve been sleeping like the dead, Bella. You haven’t said a word in your sleep since we got here. If it weren’t for the snoring, I’d worry you were slipping into a coma.”

I ignored the snoring jibe; I didn’t snore. “I haven’t been tossing? That’s weird. Usually I’m all over the bed when I’m having nightmares. And shouting.”

“You’ve been having nightmares?”

“Vivid ones. They make me so tired.” I yawned. “I can’t believe I haven’t been babbling about them all night.”

“What are they about?”

“Different things—but the same, you know, because of the colors.”

“Colors?”

“It’s all so bright and real. Usually, when I’m dreaming, I know that I am. With these, I don’t know I’m asleep. It makes them scarier.”

Bella's dreams finally got rid of Elliot Davis!

quote:

He sounded disturbed when he spoke again.

“What is frightening you?”

I shuddered slightly. “Mostly…” I hesitated.

“Mostly?” he prompted.

I wasn’t sure why, but I didn’t want to tell him about the child in my recurring nightmare; there was something private about that particular horror. So, instead of giving him the full description, I gave him just one element. Certainly enough to frighten me or anyone else.

“The Volturi,” I whispered.

He hugged me tighter. “They aren’t going to bother us anymore. You’ll be immortal soon, and they’ll have no reason.”

I let him comfort me, feeling a little guilty that he’d misunderstood. The nightmares weren’t like that, exactly. It wasn’t that I was afraid for myself—I was afraid for the boy.

He wasn’t the same boy as that first dream—the vampire child with the bloodred eyes who sat on a pile of dead people I loved. This boy I’d dreamed of four times in the last week was definitely human; his cheeks were flushed and his wide eyes were a soft green. But just like the other child, he shook with fear and desperation as the Volturi closed in on us.

Obviously, there's nothing prophetic about this whatsoever!

quote:

In this dream that was both new and old, I simply had to protect the unknown child. There was no other option. At the same time, I knew that I would fail.

He saw the desolation on my face. “What can I do to help?”

I shook it off. “They’re just dreams, Edward.”

“Do you want me to sing to you? I’ll sing all night if it will keep the bad dreams away.”

8 hours, without stopping or even blinking.

quote:

“They’re not all bad. Some are nice. So… colorful. Underwater, with the fish and the coral. It all seems like it’s really happening—I don’t know that I’m dreaming. Maybe this island is the problem. It’s really bright here.”

“Do you want to go home?”

“No. No, not yet. Can’t we stay awhile longer?”

“We can stay as long as you want, Bella,” he promised me.

“When does the semester start? I wasn’t paying attention before.”

He sighed. He may have started humming again, too, but I was under before I could be sure.

Does he really just stare at her all night until she wakes up? I can't imagine how boring that would be.

quote:

Later, when I awoke in the dark, it was with shock. The dream had been so very real… so vivid, so sensory.… I gasped aloud, now, disoriented by the dark room. Only a second ago, it seemed, I had been under the brilliant sun.

“Bella?” Edward whispered, his arms tight around me, shaking me gently. “Are you all right, sweetheart?”

“Oh,” I gasped again. Just a dream. Not real. To my utter astonishment, tears overflowed from my eyes without warning, gushing down my face.

“Bella!” he said—louder, alarmed now. “What’s wrong?” He wiped the tears from my hot cheeks with cold, frantic fingers, but others followed.

“It was only a dream.” I couldn’t contain the low sob that broke in my voice. The senseless tears were disturbing, but I couldn’t get control of the staggering grief that gripped me. I wanted so badly for the dream to be real.

Didn't get a wet dream until she was almost 19.

quote:

“It’s okay, love, you’re fine. I’m here.” He rocked me back and forth, a little too fast to soothe. “Did you have another nightmare? It wasn’t real, it wasn’t real.”

“Not a nightmare.” I shook my head, scrubbing the back of my hand against my eyes. “It was a good dream.” My voice broke again.

“Then why are you crying?” he asked, bewildered.

“Because I woke up,” I wailed, wrapping my arms around his neck in a chokehold and sobbing into his throat.

He laughed once at my logic, but the sound was tense with concern.

“Everything’s all right, Bella. Take deep breaths.”

“It was so real,” I cried. “I wanted it to be real.”

“Tell me about it,” he urged. “Maybe that will help.”

“We were on the beach.…” I trailed off, pulling back to look with tear-filled eyes at his anxious angel’s face, dim in the darkness. I stared at him broodingly as the unreasonable grief began to ebb.

Oh this is just a ploy, isn't it?

quote:

“And?” he finally prompted. I blinked the tears out of my eyes, torn. “Oh, Edward…”

“Tell me, Bella,” he pleaded, eyes wild with worry at the pain in my voice.

But I couldn’t. Instead I clutched my arms around his neck again and locked my mouth with his feverishly. It wasn’t desire at all—it was need, acute to the point of pain. His response was instant but quickly followed by his rebuff.

He struggled with me as gently as he could in his surprise, holding me away, grasping my shoulders.

“No, Bella,” he insisted, looking at me as if he was worried that I’d lost my mind.

My arms dropped, defeated, the bizarre tears spilling in a fresh torrent down my face, a new sob rising in my throat. He was right—I must be crazy.

He stared at me with confused, anguished eyes.

“I’m s-s-s-orry,” I mumbled.

But he pulled me to him then, hugging me tightly to his marble chest.

“I can’t, Bella, I can’t!” His moan was agonized.

This is getting really uncomfortable again.

quote:

“Please,” I said, my plea muffled against his skin. “Please, Edward?”

I couldn’t tell if he was moved by the tears trembling in my voice, or if he was unprepared to deal with the suddenness of my attack, or if his need was simply as unbearable in that moment as my own. But whatever the reason, he pulled my lips back to his, surrendering with a groan.

And we began where my dream had left off.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I wonder if any vampires survived famous ship disasters over the years by simply swimming off into the horizon, or even sinking to the bottom and walking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I stayed very still when I woke up in the morning and tried to keep my breathing even. I was afraid to open my eyes.

I was lying across Edward’s chest, but he was very still and his arms were not wrapped around me. That was a bad sign. I was afraid to admit I was awake and face his anger—no matter whom it was directed at today.

Carefully, I peeked through my eyelashes. He was staring up at the dark ceiling, his arms behind his head. I pulled myself up on my elbow so that I could see his face better. It was smooth, expressionless.

"Exactly like his penis."

quote:

“How much trouble am I in?” I asked in a small voice.

“Heaps,” he said, but turned his head and smirked at me.

I breathed a sigh of relief. “I am sorry,” I said. “I didn’t mean… Well, I don’t know exactly what that was last night.” I shook my head at the memory of the irrational tears, the crushing grief.

“You never did tell me what your dream was about.”

“I guess I didn’t—but I sort of showed you what it was about.” I laughed nervously.

“Oh,” he said. His eyes widened, and then he blinked. “Interesting.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmNoxQlIYAA

The film version of this chapter highlights exactly what the problem is with Twilight: the author. Even when hamstrung by awful characters, Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson infuse an order of magnitude more character into this couple. By downplaying Edward's anxiety regarding sex to a more reasonable level and removing Bella's overt manipulation of others, everything is both shorter and much less annoying to experience.

Breaking Dawn was filmed after Stewart and Pattinson had entered a real romantic relationship, which is why they have actual chemistry on screen. Unfortunately, she would end up cheating on him with director Rupert Sanders (who's 19 years older than her) and they would be permanently split as of 2013.

quote:

“It was a very good dream,” I murmured. He didn’t comment, so a few seconds later I asked, “Am I forgiven?”

“I’m thinking about it.”

I sat up, planning to examine myself—there didn’t seem to be any feathers, at least. But as I moved, an odd wave of vertigo hit. I swayed and fell back against the pillows.

“Whoa… head rush.”

His arms were around me then. “You slept for a long time. Twelve hours.”

Twelve?” How strange.

I gave myself a quick once-over while I spoke, trying to be inconspicuous about it. I looked fine. The bruises on my arms were still a week old, yellowing. I stretched experimentally. I felt fine, too. Well, better than fine, actually.

“Is the inventory complete?”

I nodded sheepishly.

“The pillows all appear to have survived.”

“Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for your, er, nightgown.” He nodded toward the foot of the bed, where several scraps of black lace were strewn across the silk sheets.

Did Alice see that part too?

quote:

“That’s too bad,” I said. “I liked that one.”

“I did, too.”

“Were there any other casualties?” I asked timidly.

“I’ll have to buy Esme a new bed frame,” he confessed, glancing over his shoulder. I followed his gaze and was shocked to see that large chunks of wood had apparently been gouged from the left side of the headboard.

“Hmm.” I frowned. “You’d think I would have heard that.”

“You seem to be extraordinarily unobservant when your attention is otherwise involved.”

“I was a bit absorbed,” I admitted, blushing a deep red.

Right in the ears!

quote:

He touched my burning cheek and sighed. “I’m really going to miss that.”

I stared at his face, searching for any signs of the anger or remorse I feared. He gazed back at me evenly, his expression calm but otherwise unreadable.

“How are you feeling?”

He laughed.

“What?” I demanded.

“You look so guilty—like you’ve committed a crime.”

“I feel guilty,” I muttered.

“So you seduced your all-too-willing husband. That’s not a capital offense.” He seemed to be teasing.

My cheeks got hotter. “The word seduced implies a certain amount of premeditation.”

But...you were trying to make deals and negotiate with him before.

I'm so lost. They can't remain consistent in personalities for even one chapter. None of this feels organic or earned.

quote:

“Maybe that was the wrong word,” he allowed.

“You’re not angry?”

He smiled ruefully. “I’m not angry.”

“Why not?”

“Well…” He paused. “I didn’t hurt you, for one thing. It was easier this time, to control myself, to channel the excesses.” His eyes flickered to the damaged frame again. “Maybe because I had a better idea of what to expect.”

"The donkey-like braying didn't throw me off guard as much this time."

quote:

A hopeful smile started to spread across my face. “I told you that it was all about practice.”

He rolled his eyes.

My stomach growled, and he laughed. “Breakfast time for the human?” he asked.

“Please,” I said, hopping out of bed. I moved too quickly, though, and had to stagger drunkenly to regain my balance. He caught me before I could stumble into the dresser.

“Are you all right?”

“If I don’t have a better sense of equilibrium in my next life, I’m demanding a refund.”

I've done that before to a girl, Edward. It's not that hard.

quote:

I cooked this morning, frying up some eggs—too hungry to do anything more elaborate. Impatient, I flipped them onto a plate after just a few minutes.

“Since when do you eat eggs sunny-side up?” he asked.

“Since now.”

“Do you know how many eggs you’ve gone through in the last week?” He pulled the trash bin out from under the sink—it was full of empty blue cartons.

I'm sure this has absolutely no importance later on.

quote:

“Weird,” I said after swallowing a scorching bite. “This place is messing with my appetite.” And my dreams, and my already dubious balance. “But I like it here. We’ll probably have to leave soon, though, won’t we, to make it to Dartmouth in time? Wow, I guess we need to find a place to live and stuff, too.”

He sat down next to me. “You can give up the college pretense now—you’ve gotten what you wanted. And we didn’t agree to a deal, so there are no strings attached.”

I snorted. “It wasn’t a pretense, Edward. I don’t spend my free time plotting like some people do. What can we do to wear Bella out today?” I said in a poor impression of his voice. He laughed, unashamed. “I really do want a little more time being human.” I leaned over to run my hand across his bare chest. “I have not had enough.”

He gave me a dubious look. “For this?” he asked, catching my hand as it moved down his stomach. “Sex was the key all along?” He rolled his eyes. “Why didn’t I think of that?” he muttered sarcastically. “I could have saved myself a lot of arguments.”

I laughed. “Yeah, probably.”

The entire trajectory of this series would have been completely different if they just settled down and boned. Every argument Bella had about turning into a vampire, every time she tried to force events to go in a certain direction to let him transform her, all of her drama with Jacob over her impending transformation, would have been different if this couple got laid.

quote:

“You are so human,” he said again.

“I know.”

A hint of a smile pulled at his lips. “We’re going to Dartmouth? Really?”

“I’ll probably fail out in one semester.”

Bella's got countless billions of Cullen dollars. They'll make her pass.

quote:

“I’ll tutor you.” The smile was wide now. “You’re going to love college.”

“Do you think we can find an apartment this late?”

He grimaced, looking guilty. “Well, we sort of already have a house there. You know, just in case.”

“You bought a house?”

“Real estate is a good investment.”

"Also we literally have a psychic who can help us cheat on investments."

quote:

I raised one eyebrow and then let it go. “So we’re ready, then.”

“I’ll have to see if we can keep your ‘before’ car for a little longer.…”

“Yes, heaven forbid I not be protected from tanks.”

He grinned.

“How much longer can we stay?” I asked.

“We’re fine on time. A few more weeks, if you want. And then we can visit Charlie before we go to New Hampshire. We could spend Christmas with Renée.…”

His words painted a very happy immediate future, one free of pain for everyone involved. The Jacob-drawer, all but forgotten, rattled, and I amended the thought—for almost everyone.

For everyone but your chronic molester, yes.

quote:

This wasn’t getting any easier. Now that I’d discovered exactly how good being human could be, it was tempting to let my plans drift. Eighteen or nineteen, nineteen or twenty… Did it really matter? I wouldn’t change so much in a year. And being human with Edward… The choice got trickier every day.

I hate this stupid series.

You know why?

You just made so much of the page time utterly worthless. Literal hundreds of pages of text, all stemming from Bella's fear of growing old and desire to be given immortality, paired with Edward's self-loathing and Jacob's rage at the thought. All of the pages of them arguing about marriage. Everything with the Volturi demanding she be changed into a vampire. So many hours dedicated to transcribing this conflict.

And now, you've decided that all of that was pointless because you got dick for the first time. That was it. That was the secret to finally getting Bella to stop dismissing Rosalie's trauma, put aside the Volturi coming for her, keep Jacob friendly. Getting hosed.

quote:

“A few weeks,” I agreed. And then, because there never seemed to be enough time, I added, “So I was thinking—you know what I was saying about practice before?”

He laughed. “Can you hold on to that thought? I hear a boat. The cleaning crew must be here.”

He wanted me to hold on to that thought. So did that mean he was not going to give me any more trouble about practicing? I smiled.

“Let me explain the mess in the white room to Gustavo, and then we can go out. There’s a place in the jungle on the south—”

“I don’t want to go out. I am not hiking all over the island today. I want to stay here and watch a movie.”

He pursed his lips, trying not to laugh at my disgruntled tone. “All right, whatever you’d like. Why don’t you pick one out while I get the door?”

“I didn’t hear a knock.”

He literally just told you his vampire hearing means a boat is pulling in.

quote:

He cocked his head to the side, listening. A half second later, a faint, timid rap on the door sounded. He grinned and turned for the hallway.

This girl is gonna get murdered at Dartmouth.

quote:

I wandered over to the shelves under the big TV and started scanning through the titles. It was hard to decide where to begin. They had more DVDs than a rental store.

What a perfect way to date your book!

quote:

I could hear Edward’s low, velvet voice as he came back down the hall, conversing fluidly in what I assumed was perfect Portuguese. Another, harsher, human voice answered in the same tongue.

Edward led them into the room, pointing toward the kitchen on his way. The two Brazilians looked incredibly short and dark next to him. One was a round man, the other a slight female, both their faces creased with lines. Edward gestured to me with a proud smile, and I heard my name mixed in with a flurry of unfamiliar words. I flushed a little as I thought of the downy mess in the white room, which they would soon encounter. The little man smiled at me politely.

God only knows what Carlisle and Esme have gotten up to in here.

...oh God, they hosed in the same bed as her in-laws.

quote:

But the tiny coffee-skinned woman didn’t smile. She stared at me with a mixture of shock, worry, and most of all, wide-eyed fear. Before I could react, Edward motioned for them to follow him toward the chicken coop, and they were gone.

So...why does this place have a chicken coop? Does Esme like raising chickens?

quote:

When he reappeared, he was alone. He walked swiftly to my side and wrapped his arms around me.

“What’s with her?” I whispered urgently, remembering her panicked expression.

He shrugged, unperturbed. “Kaure’s part Ticuna Indian. She was raised to be more superstitious—or you could call it more aware—than those who live in the modern world. She suspects what I am, or close enough.” He still didn’t sound worried. “They have their own legends here. The Libishomen—a blood-drinking demon who preys exclusively on beautiful women.” He leered at me.

Beautiful women only? Well, that was kind of flattering.

That is a very garbled form of Lobisomem, which is a real myth in Brazil but is actually their version of a werewolf. Portuguese for "vampire" is just "vampiro."

The next problem is that the Ticuna are an Amazonian tribe, over 2600 miles from Rio. This would be like if she replaced the Quileute with a Pueblo reservation. I guess to Meyer, all brown people are the same?

quote:

“She looked terrified,” I said.

“She is—but mostly she’s worried about you.”

“Me?”

“She’s afraid of why I have you here, all alone.” He chuckled darkly and then looked toward the wall of movies. “Oh well, why don’t you choose something for us to watch? That’s an acceptably human thing to do.”

You should not be laughing about terrorizing this poor, geographically misplaced woman!

quote:

“Yes, I’m sure a movie will convince her that you’re human.” I laughed and clasped my arms securely around his neck, stretching up on my tiptoes. He leaned down so that I could kiss him, and then his arms tightened around me, lifting me off the floor so he didn’t have to bend.

“Movie, schmovie,” I muttered as his lips moved down my throat, twisting my fingers in his bronze hair.

Then I heard a gasp, and he put me down abruptly. Kaure stood frozen in the hallway, feathers in her black hair, a large sack of more feathers in her arms, an expression of horror on her face. She stared at me, her eyes bugging out, as I blushed and looked down. Then she recovered herself and murmured something that, even in an unfamiliar language, was clearly an apology. Edward smiled and answered in a friendly tone. She turned her dark eyes away and continued down the hall.

“She was thinking what I think she was thinking, wasn’t she?” I muttered.

He laughed at my convoluted sentence. “Yes.”

I want to read a story instead about how Kaure managed to come to the conclusion that Isle Esme is owned by vampires, since Meyer is giving us no clues whatsoever as to how she came to be right about this.

quote:

“Here,” I said, reaching out at random and grabbing a movie. “Put this on and we can pretend to watch it.”

It was an old musical with smiling faces and fluffy dresses on the front.

“Very honeymoonish,” Edward approved.

While actors on the screen danced their way through a perky introduction song, I lolled on the sofa, snuggled into Edward’s arms.

Maybe Bella is such a fan of old books because they're in the public domain?

quote:

“Will we move back into the white room now?” I wondered idly.

“I don’t know.… I’ve already mangled the headboard in the other room beyond repair—maybe if we limit the destruction to one area of the house, Esme might invite us back someday.”

I smiled widely. “So there will be more destruction?”

He laughed at my expression. “I think it might be safer if it’s premeditated, rather than if I wait for you to assault me again.”

“It would only be a matter of time,” I agreed casually, but my pulse was racing in my veins.

Power move: start loving on the couch right in front of Kaure to prove that you're a couple. Instead of thinking Edward's a vampire, she'll think he's a disgusting millionaire playboy on coke.

quote:

“Is there something the matter with your heart?”

“Nope. Healthy as a horse.” I paused. “Did you want to go survey the demolition zone now?”

“Maybe it would be more polite to wait until we’re alone. You may not notice me tearing the furniture apart, but it would probably scare them.”

In truth, I’d already forgotten the people in the other room. “Right. Drat.”

Oh my God she heard me.

quote:

Gustavo and Kaure moved quietly through the house while I waited impatiently for them to finish and tried to pay attention to the happily-ever-after on the screen. I was starting to get sleepy—though, according to Edward, I’d slept half the day—when a rough voice startled me. Edward sat up, keeping me cradled against him, and answered Gustavo in flowing Portuguese. Gustavo nodded and walked quietly toward the front door.

“They’re finished,” Edward told me.

“So that would mean that we’re alone now?”

“How about lunch first?” he suggested.

I bit my lip, torn by the dilemma. I was pretty hungry.

With a smile, he took my hand and led me to the kitchen. He knew my face so well, it didn’t matter that he couldn’t read my mind.

“This is getting out of hand,” I complained when I finally felt full.

“Do you want to swim with the dolphins this afternoon—burn off the calories?” he asked.

“Maybe later. I had another idea for burning calories.”

“And what was that?”

“Well, there’s an awful lot of headboard left—”

This girl is going to find a way to exhaust a vampire.

quote:

But I didn’t finish. He’d already swept me up into his arms, and his lips silenced mine as he carried me with inhuman speed to the blue room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKnHYcSG9Po

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 3, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chicken coop was probably an attempt to refer to the bedroom with feathers everywhere in a droll way. Funy joek.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midjack posted:

Chicken coop was probably an attempt to refer to the bedroom with feathers everywhere in a droll way. Funy joek.

The best kind of joke: the one where you don't notice it's a joke and just get confused.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The best kind of joke: the one where you don't notice it's a joke and just get confused.

With the writing all over the place nobody can blame you for not catching everything.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
that dream confused the hell out of me

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

You'd think Edward would tidy up a little seeing as he does nothing but stare at Bella all night. His brothers would at least catch and eat a shark or something.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Grammarchist posted:

I wonder if any vampires survived famous ship disasters over the years by simply swimming off into the horizon, or even sinking to the bottom and walking.

This would be one of my first moves as a vampire. Go look at all the cool ocean poo poo, find sunken pirate ships and intact liquor and treasure and stuff.

I forgot how utterly awful the honeymoon chapters are. As if the gender and sexual messages aren’t bad enough, some good old fashioned racism got in there too! There’s zero reason for the cleaners to be there from a story standpoint. I don’t know why Meyer went with showing them other than to get the “tee-hee vampire seducing a human” remark in there.

While I wasn’t present for the fandom meltdown, I’ve read contemporary accounts of how a HUGE chunk of fans began to sour on Meyer because of these chapters and much of this book. While I don’t think anyone expected a hyper-explicit sex scene, many at least thought they’d get something akin to flowery romance novels their parents and libraries failed to hide. Plus by now many young readers were 18 or older, having grown up with the books and by extension Bella herself. It didn’t help that Meyer would drop all kinds of coy hints on the most popular fan forum of that time, either (along with some speculation that veers into the accidental but truly sociopathic).

Hey chitoyru, I know we’re a ways off but when it’s time could you please post a picture of (spoilers for future chapters and film content) the unused animatronic toddler the film almost went with? Because holy hell.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Hey chitoyru, I know we’re a ways off but when it’s time could you please post a picture of (spoilers for future chapters and film content) the unused animatronic toddler the film almost went with? Because holy hell.

Oh my god they did that? Yes please.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midjack posted:

Oh my god they did that? Yes please.

Oh yes they did. They called it "Chuckesmee" on set.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

As someone who was a fan of the books as a teenager, yeah this is the book that truly soured me. The thing is, I knew the earlier books weren't good, but they were the book version of cheap chocolate to me - stupid, bland, and weirdly delicious. I didn't take any of the messages about romance seriously, but I enjoyed the dumb drama, the side characters, and Meyer's almost intoxicatingly boring prose. I know that doesn't sound like a plus? But if you're not stopping and thinking about what she's writing, it sort of slides by in a smooth flow, and when I wanted a book to help calm myself down from something, that's what I wanted. I don't think she's actually all that bad at words so much as intensely bad at plot.

This book tipped over from 'bad but in an entertaining and soothing way' to just gross.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It didn’t help that Meyer would drop all kinds of coy hints on the most popular fan forum of that time, either (along with some speculation that veers into the accidental but truly sociopathic).

Want to hear more about this.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

The entire first half of this book bored me to nearly tears reading it when I was in my 20s at work. Then I loved the last half more than the rest of the series combined and was super jazzed about how the movie would be and easily predicted the exact scene that would end movie 4 and begin movie 5.

minema
May 31, 2011
She knew you were getting close to being done forever, Midnight Sun is actually being released in August!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
gently caress 2020, god damnit.

First the pandemic, then murder hornets and slaughterbots, now Stephanie Meyer is writing more Twilight books.