Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Anyone played Daymare 1998? It's 40 bucks on PSN and looks like a very janky RE2 kinda game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

it is a very janky re2 game because it started as a fan remake of re2

i wouldnt pay more than 10 bucks for it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The graphics look like rear end and not in the good early 3D way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ElectricWizard posted:

The game does some weird things when dealing with the racism of the era/source material though. One response you can have to a literal racist ape-man is “not all Innsmouthians are bad”, while the game also features the KKK as villains who hate the refugee fish-men, who fled Innsmouth after the events of the Shadow Over Innsmouth story.[/spoiler]
It's trying very hard to stick the themes of Lovecraft's writing, which tends to unfortunately involve a lot of racist attitudes and undertones, while also making mostly palatable to modern players. There is definitely some awkwardness involved in that.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It's trying very hard to stick the themes of Lovecraft's writing, which tends to unfortunately involve a lot of racist attitudes and undertones, while also making mostly palatable to modern players. There is definitely some awkwardness involved in that.

It definitely comes across as awkward, but at least it tried reconciling the themes.

I was still positively surprised by the game, which seemed to garner very little attention upon release, maybe due to being an Epic Store exclusive on PC.

It was clearly made by people who love the source material. They even reference Algernon Blackwood and Lord Dunsany, although some of the references are too on the nose.

The recent Call of Cthulhu game was merely ok, and very forgettable unfortunately.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I'm honestly very fond of it, too. Sinking City is what the new Call of Cthulhu game tried to be but couldn't manage. It has some flaws, some of them even pretty substantial, but it's a very charming game that is willing to take its own approach to things instead of just imitating the source material slavishly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bloodborne is the only good Lovecraftian game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And Eternal Darkness. And Anchorhead.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
and Last Door, and Darkest Dungeon, and

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Seedge posted:

Anyone played Daymare 1998? It's 40 bucks on PSN and looks like a very janky RE2 kinda game.

Daymare was probably more interesting before re2 remake came out.

You're better off just replaying re2/re3 remakes (if you're missing any trophies) and even still it sounds like you'd want to wait for $20 or less if you've exhausted all other options.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

While it isn't much, what I personally know about it is that literally every person I've ever seen play it hated it, in a "this is actually a really bad game" kind of sense. Nothing I've seen of the gameplay or the plot would make me think it is worth anything even remote close to 40 dollars.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Daymare isn’t awful but it is The Asylum version of Resident Evil. Like the core gameplay isn’t terrible but some weirdo thought inventory shuffling was everyone’s favorite part of survival horror games so I hope you enjoy managing both loose bullets and magazines for every firearm in real time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The more you guys talk about it the more I don't want to get it even if it's on sale. I'm gonna take it off my wishlist.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mainly find Daymare's tone weird and offputting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I mainly find Daymare's tone weird and offputting.

It loving is loving edgy as loving gently caress. poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

Daymare isn’t awful but it is The Asylum version of Resident Evil.

You just described awful though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

It loving is loving edgy as loving gently caress. poo poo.
It is that. Daymare takes itself incredibly seriously, even while it makes everyone look like mutant potatoes.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly very fond of it, too. Sinking City is what the new Call of Cthulhu game tried to be but couldn't manage. It has some flaws, some of them even pretty substantial, but it's a very charming game that is willing to take its own approach to things instead of just imitating the source material slavishly.

I really wish it'd see a price drop or significant sale because I'm there for that janky goodness, just not at full price. Perhaps it'll see that when it goes to Steam.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

I really wish it'd see a price drop or significant sale because I'm there for that janky goodness, just not at full price. Perhaps it'll see that when it goes to Steam.
Keep an eye on this: https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=sinking+city

Currently, it is 30% off on Fanatical, but it has been cheaper. I would call it ideal at 50% off.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Great, now I have to buy a Switch.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

rudecyrus posted:

Great, now I have to buy a Switch.

Good luck!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just get Bird Bot all the cool scalpers are using it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...e101_story.html

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Bloodborne is the only good Lovecraftian game.

Better than any of the Call of Cthulhu games so far.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Daymare's portrayal of schizophrenia is so dumb. The game as a whole is pretty poor and edgelord as all hell. I liked the concept of playing one of these games as a merciless Umbrella type but yeesh...

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

J.A.B.C. posted:

Better than any of the Call of Cthulhu games so far.

Dark Corners of the Earth was a pretty solid video game retelling of the Innsmouth stories. Shame it was a bugridden half unplayable mess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheAnomaly posted:

Dark Corners of the Earth was a pretty solid video game retelling of the Innsmouth stories. Shame it was a bugridden half unplayable mess.

That drat chase sequence.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

That drat chase sequence.

The

Boat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I suspect I didn’t get that far, because I have no idea what you’re on about.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I suspect I didn’t get that far, because I have no idea what you’re on about.

I trooped on through the chase, into the factory, down into the Sewers...

But late in the game you have to take a boat to an island where the Cultists are waiting. They summon monsters to attack your ship. You have a Naval Gun, and are supposed to use it to shoot at a set of bright lights on the island to kill the summoners.

However, there was a bug in the lighting engine that could, a large amount of the time, make the lights unseeable. Apparently it was tied to a cutscene earlier in the game, and the only known fix was to restart the game and hope it didn't happen again.

I got the bug. I had to download a fan-made patch to fix it and restart from an earlier save. But dear lord imagine playing that on Launch.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I gave up when you're underwater in a pretty cool cave/giant bubble setting but couldn't progress anymore. I liked the atmosphere throughout though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I made it all the way to the end but couldn't beat whatever the final fight with all the frog people was, rip

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Didn't it have some sort of lategame bug where you couldn't jump far enough to progress, or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Once you beat the last encounter you have a timed escape sequence but the timer was tied to CPU clock speed or something so if your pc was too good you never have enough time to escape iirc.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018

TheAnomaly posted:

Best bug I got in Dark corners was a graphic one in the beginning where some of the fish hoboes could be pissing in the corner. The stream of piss just didn't stop so they would be wandering around or sitting on the one of the benches
with constant stream of piss spraying everywhere. later on the model also became invisible and it was just floating stream of piss hovering around and muttering. Kinda killed the mood :haw:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chunkystyle posted:

Best bug I got in Dark corners was a graphic one in the beginning where some of the fish hoboes could be pissing in the corner. The stream of piss just didn't stop so they would be wandering around or sitting on the one of the benches
with constant stream of piss spraying everywhere. later on the model also became invisible and it was just floating stream of piss hovering around and muttering. Kinda killed the mood :haw:
But that's just My Summer Car.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I did the hotel chase and then stopped playing, I think I made the correct choice

Are there any well-regarded horror vr games yet?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

wasnt there some bug with the resolution where the higher you set it, the slower your character moved?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I play DCotE on an original Xbox and didn't get far past the hotel chase. But what I remember was at the beginning when you have to sneak past Fishman to get a whatever put of the store I got caught after grabbing the whatever and he just drug me out and I missed everything that was supposed to happen there. I played it years later on steam and you're supposed to like fall through the floorboards and go on a loop of the town and it takes a lot longer

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Daymare is published by the same company that published Hatred, which should tell you something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dark Corners was my jam but I played it at the right time in my life and had a lot of patience for it. The hotel sequence was truly mind blowing as no video game by 2005 had involved the player so directly into its scripted sequence even though in hindsight I must've repeated it 20 times because you need to do a specific set of tasks within a strict time limit. But the game is basically the pioneer of all the modern first person horror game tropes and if it had more time and a larger budget it would've been the Alien: Isolation of its time instead of a weird relic people bring up in passing.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I did the hotel chase and then stopped playing, I think I made the correct choice

Are there any well-regarded horror vr games yet?

Lies Beneath is a new game and is like Resident Evil 4 as drawn by Mike Mignola. Resident Evil 7 was built out of Capcom's VR experiments and is just as good. Dead Secret is a murder mystery adventure game but there are horror elements thrown in as you're being stalked by the killer.

e: Forgot about Five Nights at Freddy's HELP WANTED. Even if FNaF didn't interest you this game works exceptionally well in VR. There's a lot of good content and the game is actually scary when everything is a 3D model running in real time instead of a static image that just appears.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 1, 2020