Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Well, I finally was able to pick up the full game. Now, I'll be playing it real slowly, because I got other stuff goin' on, and other games I want to play right now, but I'll be back to make note of my miniscule progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm slowly continuing my pure nexus runs - I now have golds on tutorial 1, NEW, G and mini, silver on D which I'm hoping to turn into a gold today, and bronze on K. I think my issue with D is that every single level you can eke out at the end is worth 21k+ points, so it's worth paying just about any price in health to get your hands on a feather before you start killing all the low-level stuff. I wasn't aggressive enough on my last try, and I should have taken 12 levels of keys instead of 11 - taking one extra red key would have given me much faster access to a +3 ATK deck near the start, and let me open up that potion room with 10k health near the end.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm slowly continuing my pure nexus runs - I now have golds on tutorial 1, NEW, G and mini, silver on D which I'm hoping to turn into a gold today, and bronze on K. I think my issue with D is that every single level you can eke out at the end is worth 21k+ points, so it's worth paying just about any price in health to get your hands on a feather before you start killing all the low-level stuff. I wasn't aggressive enough on my last try, and I should have taken 12 levels of keys instead of 11 - taking one extra red key would have given me much faster access to a +3 ATK deck near the start, and let me open up that potion room with 10k health near the end.

With my 8 level-ups on keys I was still able to hit everything pretty early, and I was able to reach every powerup except the Life Potion and three Crimson Keys behind the platinum door in 8F. I can provide screenshots of which doors I opened, if you would like.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wanton Spoon posted:

With my 8 level-ups on keys I was still able to hit everything pretty early, and I was able to reach every powerup except the Life Potion and three Crimson Keys behind the platinum door in 8F. I can provide screenshots of which doors I opened, if you would like.
No thanks - I know I used a bunch of unnecessary keys, but I think I did it in a smart way except for that one mistake, so I want to see if this strategy can be made to work. Thanks for the offer though!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

OK, that failed miserably, but I think I see the problem now. My strategy this run was to try and kill almost no lower-level enemies at all until the very end. On one level, it worked splendidly - 15 sunstones is enough to pretty much just beeline for the feathers, and I ended up at level 62 compared to level 60 for my last run. I mathed it out and that came to about 96k points, counting the bonus from having a higher level for the nexus burgeoner. But it looks like I spent far too much extra life to do it, so I ended up with a lower score than last time. I think the sweet spot is to have just hit level 61, which allows me to "waste" 27395 EXP by killing enemies not on the critical feather path. If doing so allows me to save 120k life over my current route, then I get the gold. That sounds plausible given how much I spent on some of the later feathers. I'll take another look at my early key route too.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The second phase of tower G is ruining my life. I managed a bronze just based on levels, but have now failed twice to reach the "star" clear. It's a long, long tower to have to retry.

Question about the top floor:

Is the uber treasure cache at the top worth going for in a pure run, or is that more meant for the full "crown" clear when you'll have more levels to spend? I haven't mathed it out but it takes something crazy like 15 levels worth of keys to get to the final set of silver doors which seems like a ludicrously high cost versus the goodies you can unlock in the basement.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

King of Bleh posted:

The second phase of tower G is ruining my life. I managed a bronze just based on levels, but have now failed twice to reach the "star" clear. It's a long, long tower to have to retry.

Question about the top floor:

Is the uber treasure cache at the top worth going for in a pure run, or is that more meant for the full "crown" clear when you'll have more levels to spend? I haven't mathed it out but it takes something crazy like 15 levels worth of keys to get to the final set of silver doors which seems like a ludicrously high cost versus the goodies you can unlock in the basement.

I have a pure gold in tower G, just got a diamond+1 as well, and I have never once unlocked any of the doors in 20F. It is absolutely not worth it to spend eight levels just to reach what would qualify as "normal" rewards for the bottom floor.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, I haven't gotten a star on Tower G yet, but I'm assuming that what you need to do is beeline to the bottom of the basement ASAP, only detouring for feathers. 20F is a complete trap. Haven't figured out whether it's better to break into the last basement levels with normal keys or level-up keys, though

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, when I got my gold on G I didn't touch the 20F stuff either. My levelling strategy was:

Start out by beelining for the bottom of the basement, stopping only for feathers. Be sure to pick your route carefully though, because the ending is really vicious and wasting a level-up on an inefficient path could screw you over. Then start looking for goodies, prioritising DEF over ATK at least to some extent. (If you can't get DEF high enough to be able to kill the final fighters with zero damage by the very end, you're probably not going to win.) Don't clear the whole of B6F, since a few of the rooms are lacklustre. Just get the best stuff, then start picking and choosing from elsewhere. You will definitely need to spend levels on HP to survive, so anything that lets you path towards dream drops or similar is a bonus, but try to frontload stats as much as you can for obvious reasons. The cache on B1F is pretty nice and should be a high priority once you've taken the immediately available good stuff, and I also found myself branching out a bit into B5F for those tasty attack and defense decks and into a couple of doors in B4F for a bit of cheap defence and healing. There are some level-up doors in the ending as well, but they're blocked by incredibly vicious monsters and it's a judgement call when to fight your way through.

Good luck!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've been running the Dojo for a little bit and...I think I just don't like this stage at all. The whole anchor gimmick means that there's just a whole lot more going on, and it feels way easier to strand yourself in ways that really just aren't possible in the other towers.

Think I might just skip it for now and come back later.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Arzaac posted:

I've been running the Dojo for a little bit and...I think I just don't like this stage at all. The whole anchor gimmick means that there's just a whole lot more going on, and it feels way easier to strand yourself in ways that really just aren't possible in the other towers.

Think I might just skip it for now and come back later.

Hitofude Dojo definitely has the most bizarre gimmick of any of the towers that have been released so far, requiring a fundamentally different thought process from the rest of the towers, and maybe not one that will make sense to everyone who otherwise "gets" the game. Still, I say it's not as bad as all that.

Although you have to add the new mechanic to everything else you already have to think about, that new mechanic also greatly reduces the number of viable options you can take. You can't spend too long on any given floor, and it's impossible to return to earlier floors, so whereas in most towers you'll be going back and forth trying to figure out the exact order you want to finish everything, in Hitofude Dojo your thought process is more often going to be "Okay, I'm picking up these three items, and then I'm leaving." So then it's just a matter of taking the time to calculate the most efficient method of doing that.

I've seen multiple other players comment that it's a good idea to make a new save file at the beginning of each floor, and I agree with that. Although I've stopped taking extensive notes with other towers, I still refer to the notes I made for Hitofude Dojo, because once you've "solved" a floor there's no reason to make yourself go through the arduous process of figuring out the exact path you need to take every single time. Just repeat what you did last time, and make adjustments in the few places it makes sense to do so.

I haven't gotten better than a gold yet, but my strategy for getting that gold is a very simple one: Pick up every key and every Golden Feather on every floor. Yes, even 1F.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I went to sleep, woke up, finished my run with a Pure Nexus silver on Dojo. I'm still not a big fan of the tower tbh, but at least I got something out of it. I'll come back later with a whole stockpile of medals.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Three times I try Tactical K, three times I stop at the corridor with the 4 different keys. I guess I'm not leveling up enough but I don't get what I'm getting wrong exactly, I get a bunch of keys in the first levels... and I end up being too weak once I get to that floor.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Char posted:

Three times I try Tactical K, three times I stop at the corridor with the 4 different keys. I guess I'm not leveling up enough but I don't get what I'm getting wrong exactly, I get a bunch of keys in the first levels... and I end up being too weak once I get to that floor.
What's your situation with the other towers? K is much much harder than the other three in the demo - getting a bronze on that is harder than getting a gold on NEW or on tutorial 1.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That's wild to me, because a Pure Nexus Bronze on K is seriously no sweat for me, but the tutorial gold still eludes me.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Arzaac posted:

That's wild to me, because a Pure Nexus Bronze on K is seriously no sweat for me, but the tutorial gold still eludes me.
I got the tutorial gold with pure nexus - there's a trick to it. Try to avoid picking up any dream drops or heavenly potions until you have all, or almost all, of the crowns.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Char posted:

K is definitely tough and provides a very thin margin of error. My 2c:

Enemies in K don't drop rewards, so every enemy functionally becomes a burgeoner--valuable for XP only. Grab absolutely every feather from the first five floors as fast as possible, and leave as many enemies alive as possible while doing so unless they block you from stairs or block you from a feather. This applies especially to burgeoners -- never kill them unless they're blocking your path. You can exceed 1000% XP multiplier and then some by the end of the tower if you get all the feathers.

If you manage your XP well you will definitely have the stats needed to get through the gauntlet on 7, and if you save some blues for floor 5, then health should not be a problem either.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Huh, turns out Hitofude Dojo is nowhere near as horrifying as the first few floors led me to believe. Towards the end you're absolutely swimming in moves - you only need to be super-optimal on the early floors if you're going for gold.

I do not want to go for gold, especially in a pure nexus run. :ohdear:

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Char posted:

Since several people have reported trouble with tower K, and since it's the hardest tower available in the demo, I have decided to create a walkthrough for it. Hopefully this will help to get more new players on board.

:havlat: Warning! The rest of this post contains a full playthrough of tower #4, Tactical Tower K! Just scroll on past if you don't want to be spoiled on that! :havlat:

This playthrough can be completed without using any Sunstones or medals.

So the theme of this run is "Golden Feathers first". This isn't the only way to get through the tower, it may not even be the most efficient way to score points for a Pure Nexus run, but it's usually the best way to set yourself up for a smoother post-game once you're ready to tackle the Nexus Stage.

The issue with going for Golden Feathers is that, if you want to maximize the benefits of getting them, you have to minimize how many enemies you fight along the way, since it's better to save their EXP rewards for after getting the EXP multiplier. What this means is that you'll have to be fairly aggressive in your approach, skipping past lower-level enemies and fighting through multiple high-level enemies. The only realistic way to pull this off is by focusing your build almost entirely on ATK rather than DEF, since DEF is not going to prepare you for underleveled play nearly as quickly as ATK is.

This brings up another issue with Tower K specifically, which is that there's a treasure room that can give you a ton of rewards if you have the keys for it, but you don't gain access the treasure room until you're halfway through the tower. We'll cover how to deal with that over the course of this guide, but let's go ahead and get started.

First, I head straight for the Golden Feather in the upper right corner of 1F. I gain a level on the way, and use this level to get the Crimson Key I need to open the door. I could've opened the other Golden Feather instead, but this corner has more rewards in it.

The next Golden Feather is the one on the left. I already have a key for opening this door.

I don't want to spend any more level-ups on Crimson Keys, so in order to unlock the remaining Golden Feather, I need to get the Crimson Key that was just above the Elder Slasher in the lower left corner. Instead of a Crimson Key, I want to spend this level on Blue Keys. The Elder Slasher still hits pretty hard, so I don't want to fight it JUST yet. After getting the Golden Feather, I fight the Junior Burgeoner blocking the Violet Key and head upstairs.

In 2F, I head straight to the Violet Key in the upper right corner, spending another level-up on Blue Keys. My next goal is the upper left corner, but since I have to fight through two Elder enemies to get there, it makes more sense to make a detour back to the first floor:

When faced with two paths of similar difficulty, take the path that leads to the stat boosts first. Okay, now let's head back upstairs.

Three Golden Feathers in a row. This is the key survival technique to this tower. There's a few different approaches you can take, but the powerups in this corner are just too valuable to pass up, especially if you're planning on spending even more level-ups on keys.

Which I'm not, incidentally. I'm done with getting extra keys. I'm spending my remaining level-ups on ATK. Well, almost. You'll see.

We're still kind of under-powered at this point, though. Whether we're aiming for the remaining Golden Feather at the top center there, or just wanting to progress through more of the tower, we're going to have to fight a Great Slasher either way, and those still deal 3969 damage. Let's try to cut that down a little. First, I get the two Power Pieces in 2F and the Power Gem in 1F in order to go up one level, then I come back to 2F and get the remaining ATK powerups there.

I'm level 6 and now the Great Slasher deals only 1764 damage. Not bad. I get the Golden Feather up top, as well as the two Guard Potions just because, and then I fight the Burgeoner in order to get the Violet Key required to move to the next floor.

The Burgeoner made me gain another level, dropping the next Great Slasher's damage by about another 500 points. Hopefully it's becoming clear how quickly ATK makes itself useful in the early parts of the game.

The tower's layout gets a little confusing in 3F and 4F since you keep going up and down between the two floors, but the pathway is actually very linear. The next Golden Feather is at the top of the screen, there. Here's how you get there:

I'm not strong enough to fight through that nearby group of enemies, so the next Golden Feather is just up the next set of available stairs:

And I'm not strong enough to fight that General Slasher, so the next two available Golden Feathers are just down the next set of available stairs:

It takes the same amount of damage either way, so I go ahead and get both Golden Feathers.

There's some powerups on the next floor, but it's not really worth fighting the enemies required to reach them quite yet, and I'm still not quite strong enough to fight the additional enemies beyond that. Instead, it's time to do some backtracking. Maybe you've forgotten about that Golden Feather in 1F:

The Elder Burgeoner is now a very manageable 2603 damage, and I get some nice EXP and powerups as a reward for the fight, to boot.

After this battle, though, my HP has been reduced a fair bit and I'm still a little under-leveled for moving forward. Fortunately, at this point my stats are high enough that there are several enemies spread throughout the tower that deal 0 damage to me. I go back through the tower and clear out enough enemies to reach some potions and go up to level 11. At that point, I then return to the end of the main path and clear out the Elder enemies in the lower part of 4F:

Then I return to 3F and clear out most of the enemies in the lower part of the floor:

If I fight the Great Burgeoner, it will deal 5800 damage to me. Manageable. But you know what's a better idea, in my opinion?

Fighting these two enemies first. The Great Burgeoner gives me more EXP than these two enemies combined, so I stand to gain more EXP by getting this Golden Feather first, rather than the other one. That said, if I went in the opposite order, I'd save about 1,000 HP instead, since I would go up a level before fighting these two. In the end, it's not a big difference, but I prefer pushing levels forward faster if I can.

Okay, at this point, I don't have enough HP to afford side trips. Time to continue progressing through the tower:

Fortunately, there's yet another Golden Feather on the way. After that, I fight my way through the remaining sets of staircases until I reach the end of the path:

...You know what, that's still not enough EXP for me, personally.

Here we go. After getting this Golden Feather, I get the Platinum Key behind that Great Burgeoner, and then I use the key to head to 5F:

We already have some keys, so what do we do here? As always, the goal is MORE FEATHERS. The most immediate way to accomplish this goal is to open up three Golden Feathers in the center, then to get the Golden Feather behind the Blue Door near the top:

We can't get any other Golden Feathers quite yet, and... man, Yellow Keys don't really get you anything good here, huh? Let's fix that. Time to make a trip back to 1F:

Yeah, I'd say this is a fair trade.

With the three Blue Keys we have now, we open two doors, both leading to Drops of Dream Ocean. We need to hold onto one Blue Key for later. In the meantime, what we really want is more Golden Feathers. If we can get a Crimson Key, then we get two Golden Feathers right away. So let's do that.

Back in 1F, there's a Great Slasher blocking a Crimson Key. Doesn't even deal any damage at this point. We take this back to 5F and get the two Golden Feathers.

All the remaining Golden Feathers in 5F require Violet Keys, and besides that, there's still a few Golden Feathers here and there behind enemies. I'll just speed through them real quick:

Elder Burgeoner in 2F:

Legendary Fighter in 1F:

Legendary Fighter in 4F:

Slashers in 6F:

Fine Burgeoner in 4F:

Also note that the three Violet Keys shown here are to be used to unlock ONLY the first three doors in the lower right corner of 5F:

Although the room in the upper right corner has a Golden Feather, unfortunately we just don't have enough Violet Keys in the tower to ever afford to open it. This is a good reason to get a Violet Key from the Nexus, if you can.

Also, you may notice I opened up two more Blue Doors. I did that by getting two more Blue Keys as my reward for reaching level 17. Here's the rationale behind that:

If I had spent a level-up on just ATK, I would've gotten 20 points' worth. By spending it on two Blue Keys instead, I got to pick up two Power Decks, which are worth +30 ATK in total.

Ordinarily, if you're ever going to get keys from level-ups, it's best to get them all at the beginning of the game before you ever start raising stats. However, some towers, like this one, don't make that a realistic option. I couldn't afford to miss any other ATK boosts before reaching this treasure room, not if I wanted to take the speedy, corner-cutting route that I did.

And now that I'm on this path, it no longer makes sense to spend level-ups on keys. If you're using an ATK-focused strategy, DEF is next to useless, so you can skip any of the blue powerups. There are some doors blocking additional ATK powerups, but none of them are worth what you would get from spending a level-up on ATK. The only consideration left to weigh is whether some keys would be worth the HP rewards that come from picking up additional Drops of Dream Ocean... which is possible. But let's stick with this strategy for now.

Now, as you might have noticed from following the thread, not everybody uses the strategy I use for this tower. Some people DO spend a ton of level-ups on keys specifically so they can make the most use of this treasure room once they reach it. And it's entirely possible to make that path work well enough. The downside is that, if you do, your stats are going to be too low to actually fight the majority of the enemies you face up to this point, so you also need to spend several keys just skipping battles, not getting any powerups in return for it. This includes using an additional Violet Key to skip the Great Burgeoner blocking the Platinum Key.

Anyway, back to the tower. I have every Golden Feather on the first five floors, so it's a straight shot to the two in 6F:

At this point, I have to get five Violet Keys off of this floor before I can continue. There are six Violet Keys total. I skip the one behind the big Master Burgeoner boss for now. Outside that, the order doesn't REALLY matter, but there is this to consider: I will gain levels much faster from the Burgeoners than from the other enemies, so I'll probably want to do those first, and raising my ATK will reduce damage I take from Slashers faster than it will reduce the damage I take from Fighters, so it makes more sense to save the Slashers for last (since then they will be left until after I've raised my ATK as much as possible).

Once I make it to 7F, I'm immediately greeted by a Golden Feather:

We don't have the keys to open that series of doors quite yet, and we'll get to it soon, but first I want to get one more Golden Feather:

Okay, so we need two Crimson Keys and one Blue Key. Let's backtrack.

Fine Fighter in 2F:

Burgeoner also in 2F:

Line of Master Slashers in 6F:

Now I have all the keys I need to get into that reward room in 7F:

And using the Violet Key I got from there, I can open the last door at the bottom of 5F. I use the extra Blue Key to open another Drop of Dream Ocean, but I hold onto the Crimson Key:

Only two Golden Feathers left to get now, both in 7F. I get the one on the left first:

But I don't want to get the remaining one quite yet.

Up to this point, I think I saved HP about as efficiently as I possibly could while still maximizing my EXP multiplier. But at this point, well, look at it. I'm at 1090%. Is it really going to be a big deal if I postpone the last 30 percentage points for a bit? If I can increase my ATK by a couple hundred points, I should significantly reduce the damage that the Master Burgeoner and the Final Slasher deal to me. Let's take a break for now.

I go back through the tower and fight all enemies that deal 0 damage to me:

Once I clear out enough enemies and pick up some powerups, reaching level 32 puts me at the point where Final Slashers hit me only twice, and Star Fighters hit me only thrice:

I clear out everything in the tower except the Star Slashers, and it's finally time to get the remaining keys I need:

When I reach level 36, Star Slashers stop dealing any damage to me at all, so I clear out the rest of those:

Fighting the remaining enemies is just enough to put me at level 37 before fighting the final boss. As it turns out, raising my ATK at this point will reduce the damage I take by 959, but increasing my DEF will reduce it by 1,000. But you know what saves even more HP than that?

Taking two Blue Keys so I can open the last two Drops of Dream Ocean here.

Mind you, that's not the only thing to take into consideration. When your final score is calculated, ATK and DEF receive a multiplier bonus that HP doesn't. Sometimes just a few points of ATK or DEF are more valuable than adding 20,000 HP. Not in this case, though... I checked.

Also, if I'm ever going to spend level-ups getting HP instead of ATK or DEF, the end of the tower is the time to do it. It wouldn't have made sense to get these potions before now, given the savings that come from increasing ATK instead. And maybe I should've also spent a couple levels getting Crimson Keys so I could get a couple more Drops of Dream Ocean, but, eh. Then I wouldn't have saved so much HP fighting the Star Slashers for 0 damage.

Well, here we are. We've reached the goal point with 0 Sunstones, and we have 366,598 points, 16,598 points ahead of what's needed for a bronze medal. That EXP bar is halfway full, too bad we couldn't push it all the way to the end.

...Wait, I forgot an enemy.

Now we have 29,470 more points than we needed :v:

Yes, only spending medals will disqualify you from a Pure Nexus run. Doing anything else in the Nexus, be it using Sunwishers or fighting enemies, will not disqualify you from Pure Nexus, even if it ends up granting you ridiculous amounts of experience. Something to keep in mind.

Well, that's it. Hopefully I've introduced you to some new ideas for how to plan your own runs in the game, whether for this tower or other towers. Or maybe you already have a few ideas of your own for how I could've optimized my score better. I kinda doubt that enough could be changed to increase the score to 450,000, but who knows? Maybe you'll figure something out. Thinking up new ideas is often rewarded.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Success! First diamond (in tutorial 2)! Tutorial 2 is definitely fun to play around in, and by far the most approachable nexus level. Definitely give it a shot once you meet the metal requirements!

Tactical tutorial 4 is fun with orbs, and orbs are bonkers, so that's a fun to to look at too. I was able to get a pure gold without many issues.

Sword, W, and P are all stages with fairly dramatic escalation points, and the objective is how to navigate through it.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Heiji posted:

Success! First diamond (in tutorial 2)! Tutorial 2 is definitely fun to play around in, and by far the most approachable nexus level. Definitely give it a shot once you meet the metal requirements!
Has anyone else even gotten any platinums yet? Your first diamond is an incredible accomplishment as it is, but the fact that you did it so quickly is outright astounding. You've definitely picked up on how the game works way faster than I did, and I expect you'll be the one discovering all the cool new strategies soon enough. I'm curious to see how you handle Pop Tactical Lord, once you get around to it.

To everyone else, don't stress yourself out trying to match this pace. I promise you're not bad at the game, Heiji just happened to take to it like a fish to water. I imagine most players will need a few months to get their first diamond.

Heiji posted:

Tactical tutorial 4 is fun with orbs, and orbs are bonkers, so that's a fun to to look at too. I was able to get a pure gold without many issues.
On the topic of the chapter 4 towers, I suspect a fair number of players are probably starting to consider whether or not they want to get the DLC, so it's probably time I made a statement about that.

If you're interested in getting the DLC in the hopes that having extra towers/medals will make it easier for you to get medals in the earlier towers: Don't. Yes, chapters 3 and 4 have at least a couple of towers apiece that can be finished with no Sunstones or medals, but these towers are about the same level of difficulty as the last third of the base game (not including Pop Tactical Lord). The rest of the towers in those chapters, as far as I can tell, aren't even completable in Pure Nexus. Seeing some of Team Nexus's posts, I've definitely learned some humility in regards to my own skill level so I know better than to say that it's definitely impossible, but if you're coming at it from the perspective of trying to make earlier towers easier for you, it's better to just assume that it's impossible.

That said, if you're already working on the latter parts of the base game and are just interested in having more of that, then you should be perfectly fine with either chapter 3 or 4. Either one scales well with the number of medals you should have by this point. It could be argued that the two "easy" towers in chapter 4 are easier than the two "easy" towers in chapter 3, but due to the presence of orbs, doing well in chapter 4 requires a different kind of approach from most other towers. Team Nexus created a simple, one-floor demo level to illustrate how some of the orbs work; this demo can be downloaded directly from their website. This same demo can be seen in their sample video for chapter 4. I highly recommend downloading that demo and making sure you can beat it before buying chapter 4.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
This dumb game is slowly eating away at my free time and also my brain. Thanks for making the OP! I just finished some initial runs on the first six towers. About to start doubling back to go for better medals.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I dont think a platinum is that out of reach for me, I just need to find the time to keep playing.

Notably, I finally managed a pure nexus gold on Tutorial 1, and I think I'm maybe another medal or two away from platinum there.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I’m painfully close to a pure platinum on mini - I think I’ll go back to it after I’ve beaten P and tutorial 3.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

rath posted:

This dumb game is slowly eating away at my free time and also my brain. Thanks for making the OP! I just finished some initial runs on the first six towers. About to start doubling back to go for better medals.

I am in the last two weeks of Persona 5 Royal, I have exactly one run of Iratus attempted, my Animal Crossing village is completely forgotten, but I have 76 hours in this game in less than a week and a half (admittedly, I have been remoting in from work and slowly playing during down time, but still). It perfectly combines "one more run" with "I wonder what would happen if I did this".

Mini was my first platinum, and I finally got it by saving with the last dozen or so enemies, and re-running the end game over and over to see what worked. I think my epiphany was that the last heart crown is nearly useless, but the enemy that blocks it gives burgeoner experience.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, the crowns in Mini are way less valuable than the feathers, at least after the first one or two. Congrats on the platinum!

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Wanton Spoon posted:

To everyone else, don't stress yourself out trying to match this pace. I promise you're not bad at the game, Heiji just happened to take to it like a fish to water. I imagine most players will need a few months to get their first diamond.

I thought I was good in games like this, but I've only managed to complete 10 towers and haven't got better than silver in any of them. I guess the way to go is to start actually using the medals to get better ones.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Wanton Spoon posted:

Since several people have reported trouble with tower K, and since it's the hardest tower available in the demo, I have decided to create a walkthrough for it. Hopefully this will help to get more new players on board.

Huge thanks for the walkthrough!
Basically I was being too conservative with HP as a resource, I wasn't fighting 2k enemies to reach for feathers.

Anyway....

Huh? :v:

I ended up having to fight the final boss at level 35, lacking a sliver of XP to get to 36 - so I had to get a pair of blue keys earlier.
That's how important following a precise order is :v:

Char fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 7, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I just got my first platinum, and it was a Pure Nexus on Mini!

I get the feeling that Mini is possible to Pure Nexus with a really low number of Sunstones, but I managed it with about 19? I needed most of those as well; I got like, 6000 score higher than the requirement, so I really just barely skated by.

But hey, first platinum being a pure nexus run feels really great.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Culka posted:

I thought I was good in games like this, but I've only managed to complete 10 towers and haven't got better than silver in any of them. I guess the way to go is to start actually using the medals to get better ones.
Don't forget sunstones! A lot of the earlier towers (tutorial, NEW, and mini especially) are pretty doable to get pure gold on when you have 10+ sunstones, which it sounds like you do. I have yet to do an impure run, and here's my medal loadout:

(I'm currently doing a pure run of P, waiting for the other shoe to drop...)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 7, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Tactical Tower Mini goal reached! I got a silver medal, not too bad for my second try.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Well, the other shoe does drop on P, and it's a drat heavy shoe, but I managed to pull out a silver anyway. I'm fairly sure I could make that a gold if I optimised my route. And I finally joined the pure platinum club thanks to tactical tower mini! :woop:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I feel like I need more specific guidance on completing tower G:

I can get to what seems like a pretty healthy state by the top of the tower, with my level in the mid 50s, ~200k hp, ~2100 attack, ~2200 defence. At this point I can backtrack and wipe out all the birds top to bottom with 640% XP multiplier and wring another handful of levels out, getting to 350k HP, ~2200 attack, ~2300 defense.

The problem from there is that this still feels extremely underpowered by the bottom. Even at this point, the final fighters are doing ~30k damage a piece, and there are very few stat bonuses left anywhere in the tower to improve on that number that don't involve fighting lots and lots of them.

I can't tell if I'm on track and just need to play very carefully from the midway point that I already have, or if there was some snowballing series of errors from the very beginning and I should've had lots more levels/stats/hp than I currently do by the midpoint.

I tried to switch to tutorial 3 for a change up, but that one seems outrageously hard after the first checkpoint as well.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

King of Bleh posted:

I feel like I need more specific guidance on completing tower G:

I can get to what seems like a pretty healthy state by the top of the tower, with my level in the mid 50s, ~200k hp, ~2100 attack, ~2200 defence. At this point I can backtrack and wipe out all the birds top to bottom with 640% XP multiplier and wring another handful of levels out, getting to 350k HP, ~2200 attack, ~2300 defense.

The problem from there is that this still feels extremely underpowered by the bottom. Even at this point, the final fighters are doing ~30k damage a piece, and there are very few stat bonuses left anywhere in the tower to improve on that number that don't involve fighting lots and lots of them.

I can't tell if I'm on track and just need to play very carefully from the midway point that I already have, or if there was some snowballing series of errors from the very beginning and I should've had lots more levels/stats/hp than I currently do by the midpoint.

I tried to switch to tutorial 3 for a change up, but that one seems outrageously hard after the first checkpoint as well.
It’s a bit hard to tell, but you might be in the right ballpark? The end of G gets really messy and you have to sequence things very carefully. You’ll need to spend a lot of level-ups at this point focusing on life rather than stats, getting drops of dream and similar, and eventually just suck it up and kill final fighters until they stop dealing damage to you. (A corollary: at this point you should be valuing DEF over ATK.) I think the first few final fighters I killed were doing around 30k - it’s surprising how fast that number drops.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Mark me down as another person absolutely sucked into this game. I'm currently bumbling my way through tactical tower D. First try on D led to me running out of steam, but this time I'm being much more aggressive about getting those feathers. let's see how it goes!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If you kill something in the Nexus, is it still a Pure Nexus run?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Yes, as long as you don’t use any medals it’s still a pure nexus run. In fact, killing the enemies in the nexus is a strong move and something that I should try to not forget about as often.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jester Mcgee posted:

Yes, as long as you don’t use any medals it’s still a pure nexus run. In fact, killing the enemies in the nexus is a strong move and something that I should try to not forget about as often.

Haha yeah it was something that drifted into my mind as I was waking up in bed and I had a Yakuza Revelations moment and had to come post about it.

Game good, thank you OP for not letting it rot in Steam's algorithm.

Heiji
Jun 9, 2007
Nexus requirements through chapter 2!

Tutorial: Silver x2, Gold x2, Plat x2, Diamond x2
NEW: Silver x2, Gold x2, Plat x2, Diamond x2 (+ Winner Key from Basement, Blue/Green Key)
D: Bronze x 2, Silver x2, Gold x2, Plat x3
K: Plat x3
G: Plat x4, Diamond x2
Tutorial 2: Bronze x3, Silver x3, Gold x2
W: Bronze x2, Silver, Gold x2
P: Bronze x6
Tutorial 3: Bronze Silver Gold Plat Diamond
Pop: I don't see any, but I'd bet it's the return key (Bronze x2 Silver Gold Plat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I finally finished Tower P, which means I've got a clear on every tower except for Tactical Lord in the base game! Honestly, this was easier than W. Not sure why I put this off for so long; I think I was just intimidated by sphere grid + pop tiles, but it turned out pretty okay. Got a pure nexus silver without much problem, though a gold seems pretty far off so I'm content abandoning the tower for now.

Having done that, I decided to really take a solid look at Pop Tactical Lord and WHAT? What the hell is going on here!? You only get one chance on each floor, but it doesn't really seem like any of them are decent starting floors. I really don't want to dip in and only do about 25% of a floor before retreating, but I'm not really sure what else I can do.

After looking at it for a bit, it seems like floor 5 works pretty well, because it's got a bunch of low damage rangers I can kill. But still, this tower hurts. Is it smart to just abandon pure nexus and use all my medals trying for a basic clear? I'm feeling like that might be necessary...