Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Helsing posted:

Not disagreeing with the spirit of this but you potentially lose out on stuff like income and sale taxes.

If there is a gap in the market then someone will come fill it. Isnt that supposed to be the point of capitalism? If the doodad factory closes shop because of taxes taking shareholder earnings then let a local doodad company materialize. We shouldn't subsidize revenue to leave the country to make foreign shareholders happy just so the select people are the ones to profit from the productions and/or sale of doodads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

If there is a gap in the market then someone will come fill it. Isnt that supposed to be the point of capitalism? If the doodad factory closes shop because of taxes taking shareholder earnings then let a local doodad company materialize. We shouldn't subsidize revenue to leave the country to make foreign shareholders happy just so the select people are the ones to profit from the productions and/or sale of doodads.

The local one won't bother even trying to materialize, because Shenzhen Things Makers can use a heavily-subsidized postal system to sell doodads that are half as good for a tenth the price and most customers won't care.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My friends are now pissed at the Bloc for trying to stop the student Trudeaubucks lol.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
In conclusion the Bloc is a party of contrasts??

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

MonsieurChoc posted:

When do I get my student trudeaubucks dammit.

It needs parliament to pass it, which should be happening this week.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

blocd again!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Ah yes, goodness measured as a function of ability to create harm. Person with a nuke is better than a person feeding the poor.

Does this go further. Like, are there points?

Squat 500 pounts : 1400 points
Punch a baby: -1200 points
Can do a pushup: 40 points
Help people: Apparently not really important

Baby punching squat man is clearly better than pushup helper, because think of all the other things he could have punched but decided not to.

As with a lot of Peterson's bullshit, there's a kernel of an arguable point there but he takes it in a really dumb direction. He takes it from "it is virtuous to abstain from abusing power" to some weird extreme of "virtue does not exist for those who lack power"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:lol:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Jun 20, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
poor jorp, thought of eating all beef and (brain) died

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

T.C. posted:

"virtue does not exist for those who lack power"

TBF, he's doing what he always does, which is taking some old-rear end folksy nonsense and repackaging it with his bullshit pseudo-philosophy brand. There have been plenty of lead addled thinkers over the years saying non-violence isn't a virtue in the weak, he's just saying it again for a group of people that have never read a book before.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

for reasons i cannot explain i went down a rabbit hole of conservative conspiracy theories page and hooo boy that was one of the most benign things i found

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Wow Benzo addiction is the fountain of youth, Jorp can absolutely get it :swoon:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

infernal machines posted:

TBF, he's doing what he always does, which is taking some old-rear end folksy nonsense and repackaging it with his bullshit pseudo-philosophy brand

Actually right now I'm pretty sure he's permanently halfway braindead and the last public appearance he had was a tweet where he was piloting a RC car and appeared to not have motor control over half of his body.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

pfft we all know jorp simply couldn't handle getting schooled by this man

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Actually right now I'm pretty sure he's permanently halfway braindead and the last public appearance he had was a tweet where he was piloting a RC car and appeared to not have motor control over half of his body.

freed from the shackles of a functioning brain, he will reach heights untold

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Excelzior posted:

pfft we all know jorp simply couldn't handle getting schooled by this man

The only preparation he did for the debate beforehand was skimming The Communist Manifesto and the whole thing exposed him as being an absolute hack to any of his followers who weren't already all-in on worshipping him as a cult leader. You truly hate to see it, folks

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

to be fair that's better prep work than I do for debates which is to shotgun one of those gallon milk jugs full of LSD which I assume is common practice for debates these days

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

The only preparation he did for the debate beforehand was skimming The Communist Manifesto and the whole thing exposed him as being an absolute hack to any of his followers who weren't already all-in on worshipping him as a cult leader. You truly hate to see it, folks

He was undone by a guy going "you cant call things you don't like social marxism"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the manitoba government restricted question period today after their daily covid presser. normally its one question and a follow-up for every reporter and they can usually get through two full rounds of questions and then open up the floor for a bit. today was one question, no follow-ups and a complete free-for-all after one round of questions.

the winnipeg free press data guy tore apart the numbers they released yesterday (its a tweet thread)

https://twitter.com/__m_pereira/status/1255565361849626624?s=20

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
good news everyone the god-emperor of the north american right-wing has decreed that actually sweden is bad

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...agenumber%3D553

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ikea should release a trashcan called Trümp

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Noblesse Obliged posted:

theres all kinds of products that are allowed to come into Quebec from amazon or aliexpress that dont have French on them and even doesnt have any English on them either

I dont know. bloc seems to be awesome one day but then remind me what single issue nutters they are on other days

I would have agreed with them if their position was that there could be a risk of someone doing something dangerous with a chemical that they dont understand the risks of because they cant read the label. that makes sense.

but as soon as they call it a Trojan horse they lost me. give me a break.

Bill 101 is a hell of a drug

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

vyelkin posted:

good news everyone the god-emperor of the north american right-wing has decreed that actually sweden is bad

The media and conservative pundits have been jumping over themselves to portray Sweden as a fine example of why lockdowns aren't necessary because of how low their numbers are (which is fabricated horseshit built on early April numbers, their first wave is climbing right the gently caress now).

Leave it to TURMP to undermine their entire narrative by correctly comparing them to their neighbors that DID lockdown, all because he wants his (extremely late) decision to lockdown to be justified no matter what.

God do I love his endless self owns, his narcissism and brain worms so acute he can't help himself.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

his daughter seems to be using his platform to shill her own brand of nonsense too. like signal boosting some video of her in her car talking about sacrificing the old to reopen the economy.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Ikea should release a trashcan called Trümp

Yeah, I dunno how Trump could recover from a thing like that

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Yeah, I dunno how Trump could recover from a thing like that

Probably out of the top

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Does anyone else feel that the Alberta reopening plan is a little too optimistic? They haven't outright said this but it feels like they want bars open for may long weekend

https://www.alberta.ca/external/covid19-alberta-relaunch-strategy.pdf

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

blatman posted:

Does anyone else feel that the Alberta reopening plan is a little too optimistic? They haven't outright said this but it feels like they want bars open for may long weekend

https://www.alberta.ca/external/covid19-alberta-relaunch-strategy.pdf

Edmonton and Lethbridge have encouraging numbers that might be okay for a phase 1 but no loving way Calgary is. The numbers are still high and people have already been ignoring the guidelines today. I guess everyone read the news that restrictions will be relaxing soon too because Memorial Drive was absolutely packed with pedestrians when I was out today, maybe 1/10th wearing masks and 1/20th even attempting to practice some form of distancing from strangers.

This city is beautiful but its so cursed

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
My question is while you might start opening up some localities how are you going to stop movement between those localities and places that are harder hit? Only Quebec, as far as I know, actually limited travel within the province that went beyond the shelter at home order.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Hey, anyone else get some weird poo poo in the mail recently by Epoch Times? Never seen it before, seems incredibly odd timing for a new newspaper brand to startup during a pandemic.

Oh, and it's full of conspiracy theory's just about China. Like, just that, no adds. Makes no sense.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Isizzlehorn posted:

Hey, anyone else get some weird poo poo in the mail recently by Epoch Times? Never seen it before, seems incredibly odd timing for a new newspaper brand to startup during a pandemic.

Oh, and it's full of conspiracy theory's just about China. Like, just that, no adds. Makes no sense.

no I get almost nothing in the mail. its amazing. no more junk mail. thank you corona virus

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Isizzlehorn posted:

Its Falun Gong propaganda. Its not new; theyve been publishing it since 2000.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Their ads are all over YouTube too

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

maybe this will shut the chuds up for a while

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

blatman posted:

Does anyone have any idea why some essential employers are asking reservists to self-identify?

Probably so they can identify who they want to lay off before potential domestic call up happens? This has been known for awhile that some employers dont like reservists because of the length time away from work needed for training and/or the potential for deployments.

On a less cynical perspective, just to plan for eventual temporary replacements needed if a reservist is called up?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

no I get almost nothing in the mail. its amazing. no more junk mail. thank you corona virus

Papa johns broke into our apartment building to put door hangers on every door handle lol

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

Papa johns broke into our apartment building to put door hangers on every door handle lol

cant gone the John

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

Its Falun Gong propaganda. Its not new; theyve been publishing it since 2000.

Connecting it to Shen Yun was a hell of a trip. Cultists who hate communism as much as they do the theory of evolution make for a perfect CIA asset I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

get hosed gun nerds(please dont shoot me)