Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Also the movie True Lies, whose unflattering depiction of middle eastern terrorists turned out to be 100% correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3xaeE7oLc

Honestly, the terrorist is right about America there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3xaeE7oLc

Honestly, the terrorist is right about America there.

who has taken the key

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

System Metternich posted:

Because when people think of the Raj they don't think of the real thing but what images pop culture has pressed into their brains: Maharajas riding on elephants through the jungle to hunt tigers, diamonds as big as your head glittering in the treasure chamber, sexy and mysterious belly dancers in the palace, some old dude summoning a snake from a basket with his flute, strange death cults hunting for virgin blood, a stoic British officer with a mustache and a pith helmet working for the common good of the people - for people who are still stuck in this mindset the Raj is something mysterious, and alluring, and sultry in both senses of the word and still cultured in a way a white person can appreciate.

This mental image was still mostly how India was portrayed when I was a kid in the 90s, and I grew up in loving Germany. No idea how it was/is in the States

meanwhile in the actual Raj

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Back in 2000, there was a guy named Jerry Luke who won the mayorship of my old town.

He ran because he was angry that his farm and land had been incorporated by the town, and he would have to start paying taxes, so he got together a bunch of his farmer buddies and launched a mayoral campaign in revenge. No one took him seriously, and as with most local elections, no one voted.

So, he was the mayor.

He hung out in his office in overalls and dirty tennis shoes. He spent his trip to our sister city in Germany drunk and shouting to random Germans about how he was the mayor and asking if they wanted to shake his hand. He didn't actually get anything done, including unincorporating the land his farm was on, but that was probably for the best.

Jerry Luke lost reelection and died of a brain hemorrhage a couple years later.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

System Metternich posted:

Because when people think of the Raj they don't think of the real thing but what images pop culture has pressed into their brains: Maharajas riding on elephants through the jungle to hunt tigers, diamonds as big as your head glittering in the treasure chamber, sexy and mysterious belly dancers in the palace, some old dude summoning a snake from a basket with his flute, strange death cults hunting for virgin blood, a stoic British officer with a mustache and a pith helmet working for the common good of the people - for people who are still stuck in this mindset the Raj is something mysterious, and alluring, and sultry in both senses of the word and still cultured in a way a white person can appreciate.

This mental image was still mostly how India was portrayed when I was a kid in the 90s, and I grew up in loving Germany. No idea how it was/is in the States

That was pretty much the same depiction in the US, yeah. The only piece of media from when I was a kid that I remember calling out the Raj as an abusive system was one of the campaigns in Age of Empires III. Other than that it was all the same lazy orientalist bullshit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

vyelkin posted:

imagine writing a story about literal children begging an 85-year-old to support climate change legislation and deciding the spin you want is to call the children Nazis

The liberal media! The liberal media!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

she would just hang out on the set of girls as a PA because she couldn’t do anything a PA would normally do

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

she would just hang out on the set of girls as a PA because she couldn’t do anything a PA would normally do

that sounds like it would have sucked

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the dominant cultural depiction of the middle east before 9/11 was aladdin

I'm not quite sure of that. Growing up in the nineties my main exposure to the middle east was seeing Saddam Hussein's picture at every hunting club/shooting range my uncle let me visit.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Glenn Beck's 'The Christmas Sweater' play

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That time in 2016 when one of the centrist comedians (I think Samantha Bee) did a segment trying to rehabilitate Glenn Beck because he was so sane and reasonable compared to Trump

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a hard time imagining her doing that except as a joke

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ellen rehabilitated GWB so basically anything is possible

edit:
it was that zizek moment, 'bleeding heart liberals say an enemy is just someone who's story we haven't heard - well I say the more I came to understand hitler the more he solidified as an actual enemy' given life

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

taqueso posted:

how long will you last before stopping

https://youtu.be/wuSDfVRGI54

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

i couldnt press play, :suicide:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Back in 2000, there was a guy named Jerry Luke who won the mayorship of my old town.

He ran because he was angry that his farm and land had been incorporated by the town, and he would have to start paying taxes, so he got together a bunch of his farmer buddies and launched a mayoral campaign in revenge. No one took him seriously, and as with most local elections, no one voted.

So, he was the mayor.

He hung out in his office in overalls and dirty tennis shoes. He spent his trip to our sister city in Germany drunk and shouting to random Germans about how he was the mayor and asking if they wanted to shake his hand. He didn't actually get anything done, including unincorporating the land his farm was on, but that was probably for the best.

Jerry Luke lost reelection and died of a brain hemorrhage a couple years later.

That sounds like pretty much every small town mayoralty I've ever heard of, tbh :v:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

taqueso posted:

I think that was the time when Beck experimented with making himself more palatable to centrist audiences before falling right back into death cult grift

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/08/in-shocking-reversal-glenn-beck-tells-new-yorker-obama-made-me-a-better-man

quote:

Beck told the New Yorker he doesn’t speak like that any longer, that he’s become a different man. In particular, he said he regrets calling the president a racist.

“I did a lot of freaking out about Barack Obama,” he told the magazine.

Added Beck, “So much of what I used to believe was either always a sham or has been made into a sham. There’s nothing deep.”

Beck went on, in the interview, to state that he now supports the Black Lives Matter movement.

...which made me suddenly remember

quote:

After Fox, Megyn Kelly Aims To Be a Force for Good

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

AnoHito posted:

That sounds like pretty much every small town mayoralty I've ever heard of, tbh :v:

that or its just the son of the guy who owns half the buildings in town

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

taqueso posted:

Lol just google sam bee Glenn beck. He was on the show and everything.

E; fb

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zoran posted:

is there a conclusion to this story about a mobster's wife giving your sister roofies?

we moved away shortly after that

this was in Tenafly NJ btw, which was upper-upper middle class in the 90's

also there was a whorehouse across the street, with a red light and everything

my folks really hosed up that real estate adventure

edit: oh I just remembered up the street was a Korean family and they kept undocumented workers there in the basement, we found out because they had panel vans showing up early in the morning and late at night every day and my mom called the police because it was "suspicious", so the cops raided the place and I don't know what happened after that; their daughter was one of my classmates

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 13:18 on May 1, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the dominant cultural depiction of the middle east before 9/11 was aladdin

But Aladdin was actually set in Doki Doki China!!!
:goonsay:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

I think that was the time when Beck experimented with making himself more palatable to centrist audiences before falling right back into death cult grift

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/08/in-shocking-reversal-glenn-beck-tells-new-yorker-obama-made-me-a-better-man

...which made me suddenly remember

gee i wonder what old glenn's been up to since that abrupt centrist turn????

quote:

On May 18, 2018, on his radio show, Beck predicted Donald Trump would win the 2020 Presidential election in a "landslide", saying "Here's why I'm predicting a 2020 win. When I saw yesterday how the press was all reporting the same drat story – that Donald Trump was calling MS-13 gang members, they left that out of the story, 'animals' – they were spinning it as if he was saying that about all immigrants. I had enough. I've had enough ... Gladly, I'll vote for [President Trump] in 2020 and not really even on his record, which we'll talk about here in a second, is pretty drat amazing." Beck went on to say, "I'll vote for him in 2020", and donned a Make America Great Again hat on his television show.[133]

quote:

In 2020, Beck argued that the election of Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders could lead to "another Holocaust."[144]

quote:

Beck said Trump's defeat in the 2020 election would be "the end of the country as we know it."[217]

huh, wow, who would have thought

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyelkin posted:

huh, wow, who would have thought

It's a good grift and I can't fault the guy for seeing if there was fresh meat on the dumb lib side to exploit too

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3ePiaPU7E

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-saCKtXIGzE

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

mr stone a few minutes ago you called me a "bitch"

lol can't help but root for stone in this against the stuffed shirt law nerd

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Bernie hasn't even been vetted"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

"Bernie hasn't even been vetted"

This reminded me that Bernie, a 30-year veteran of congressional politics, four years after email leaks proved that the Democratic party was willing to do anything to prevent him from winning their party's nomination, campaigned again for the Democratic nomination and got to the part where he'd have to actually attack his only remaining opponent, a rapist with dementia who had an active hand in creating the student debt crisis the solution to which was a key plank in his campaign, and then he just decided that personal attacks were just a bridge he wasn't willing to cross.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bernie believed that one of his main selling points was that he's the only candidate who never ever runs negative attack ads and that if he started doing that, he'd be seen as a hypocrite. Of course, Chris Matthews and Chuck Todd called him Hitler regardless.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Oh well okay then I guess I don't need healthcare then, thanks Bernie

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Democrats being willing to run a senile racist sex offender in the pocket of big banks purely to spite the left

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Blaming Bernie for not devising a strategy to defeat an enemy that would do literally anything to prevent him from winning is some armchair quarterbacking that is "funny", and that I just remembered

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
bernie panders

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Blaming Bernie for not devising a strategy to defeat an enemy that would do literally anything to prevent him from winning is some armchair quarterbacking that is "funny", and that I just remembered

Honestly it reminds me of the feeling after those first few months of the Obama administration. Right at that transition between "We won! Hope and change!" and "What do you mean 'Closing Guantanamo is harder than you thought?'" Do you remember that feeling?

I don't blame Bernie for losing to an opponent willing to do anything, including just subverting the process entirely if it came to that, just to prevent his victory. I blame him for not being willing to do everything when it was apparent from the outset that it would be necessary.

The thing that made the Obama administration the pivotal disappointment it was wasn't the milquetoast centrist liberalism masquerading as incrementalist progress, it was the clearly articulated promises prior to that that it wouldn't be. It was the active betrayal. Bernie willing to present solutions without being willing to call his opponents part of the problem is a betrayal as well, even if it comes from a different place.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Democratic Party wooing suburban woman voters by building an entire edifice about how they were the party that believed women against the evil Republicans who were all sexual predators, only to end up running a rapist as their presidential candidate and now walking it back by saying yes well we didn't actually mean believe all women

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
PAradol ex was right

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

PAradol ex was right

Baquack Obamailure

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

PAradol ex was right

I have to admit, it was a big surprise to me when 2-term President Mitt Romney handily beat Dem nominee Hillary Clinton in 2008, but PEX did call it from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was probably a coincidence given how wrong he was about everything else in his entire life, but he absolutely did have obama pegged.