Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The joke at the end is a reflection of real life, that parents are often desperate to find sitters for their kids to accommodate their adult plans and are willing to roll the dice if it means they can get some respite. Remember the episode Some Enchanted Evening?

In any case, as the viewer we know that Lisa is not a murderer and Bart is responsible for the predicament she was in. Therefore, the parents asking for her services after the fact is only monstrous in terms of the parents' selfishness- which any parent should be able to identify with (the kids come first, but what we wouldn't do for an evening to ourselves)- it's very dark, but the kids are not in any danger. The "joke" is that parents are willing to expose their kids to that supposed danger to preserve their precious free time. The main thing is Lisa did nothing wrong truthfully (the only person hurt under her watch was Bart, and he did it intentionally to himself), and Bart's efforts to spite her were for naught. He apologized sincerely and she was able to continue on with her business. It's as close as to what you'd call a happy ending for the episode.

And what I wouldn't do for a giant Italian sub, swimming in vinegar :yum:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sometimes the best subplots are the ones that don't interact with the main plot and therefore get "safely" cut in syndication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I always interpreted it as Ned asking Rodd and Todd if they're okay with having Lisa after what happened with Bart but Rodd and Todd liked her so much that they want her back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I always interpreted it as Ned asking Rodd and Todd if they're okay with having Lisa after what happened with Bart but Rodd and Todd liked her so much that they want her back.

That's not much of a stinger-before-credits joke though, that's more like an "aww how sweet" sort of uncharacteristic way to end an episode.

I'm gonna stick with "Ned secretly wants to get his kids killed" lol

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Data Graham posted:

That's not much of a stinger-before-credits joke though, that's more like an "aww how sweet" sort of uncharacteristic way to end an episode.

I'm gonna stick with "Ned secretly wants to get his kids killed" lol

I was a sweet child when I made that interpretation. :3:

nowadays im lovely

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The episode where Lisa gets a restraining order is definitely in the bad seasons and not very good overall but the scene where Bart is living with a pack of dogs set to classical music is fantastic

ed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rou_hcPNc4

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 1, 2020

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Season 8/9 is where we start to see the main cast characters become more superficial and less likeable
In My Sister My Sitter, Bart's no longer a brat with a good heart, he's an unlikeable little poo poo. In Lisa the Simpson, he's no longer just an underachiever, he's mentally disabled and it's played as a joke.
Remember when Marge was distraught at the thought he might become a stripper rather than a chief justice? Now she learns he's handicapped and she dgaf

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, as a child I thought nothing of it, but rewatching it as an adult I found that Lisa the Simpson has some messed up implications. That's some Flowers for Algernon poo poo. It's great that everything ended well for Lisa, but what about Bart? Was that supposed to be a hopeful conclusion?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was very obviously the joke??

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, I am aware. Just saying I understand why the previous poster didn't like that particular aspect. Obviously it's still a good episode compared to what came later.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

You guys are a little sensitive when it comes to the moral implications of this show...you really are that disgusted by Bart being an rear end in a top hat? Or Homer being an oaf? The episodes you are pointing out aren’t even close to the point where these traits become unbearable or overbearing.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

IMO, even in the "good" years of the Simpsons the characters are very often joke telling devices with little consideration paid to their consistency.

I remember an episode, "Kill the Alligator and Run", that actually felt like the death of the show as I recognised it. It was the first episode to my memory that had a combo of;

- Wildly sporadic plot that feels like a series of disconnected vignettes
- Characters not displaying any recognisable personality traits at all
- Weird novelty character as driving force for whole story
- Really weak, forced jokes
- Couldn't give less of a gently caress about the history/consistency of the world/springfield
- Characters not grappling with a moral, learning anything, thematic throughline etc.,
- Episode just ends out of nowhere

The "plot" was that the simpsons for some reason kill an alligator that is, for some reason, loved and cherished by the town. They then go on the run and become hillbillies for some reason and then are arrested and work on a chain gang and then it turns out the alligator didn't die and the episode ends.

This was season 11, so maybe there had been similar episodes before, but to me this was the first "different show wearing the Simpsons skin" moment. If I recall some of the writers even said it was the low point of the entire series.

It actually still has one good joke in it during the chain gang segment, though, so maybe it shouldn't count

WeaponX posted:

You guys are a little sensitive when it comes to the moral implications of this show...you really are that disgusted by Bart being an rear end in a top hat? Or Homer being an oaf? The episodes you are pointing out aren’t even close to the point where these traits become unbearable or overbearing.

In Streetcar named Marge I'm pretty sure Marge pours her heart and soul into an activity she thinks will give her life more meaning than just being a housewife and Homer says it's stupid, refuses to help her when she asks, and then tries to prevent her from doing it. I dunno, to me that episode felt really unpleseant, maybe misremembering

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 1, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

IMO, even in the "good" years of the Simpsons the characters are very often joke telling devices with little consideration paid to their consistency.

I remember an episode, "Kill the Alligator and Run", that actually felt like the death of the show as I recognised it. It was the first episode to my memory that had a combo of;

- Wildly sporadic plot that feels like a series of disconnected vignettes
- Characters not displaying any recognisable personality traits at all
- Weird novelty character as driving force for whole story
- Really weak, forced jokes
- Couldn't give less of a gently caress about the history/consistency of the world/springfield
- Characters not grappling with a moral, learning anything, thematic throughline etc.,
- Episode just ends out of nowhere

The "plot" was that the simpsons for some reason kill an alligator that is, for some reason, loved and cherished by the town. They then go on the run and become hillbillies for some reason and then are arrested and work on a chain gang and then it turns out the alligator didn't die and the episode ends.

This was season 11, so maybe there had been similar episodes before, but to me this was the first "different show wearing the Simpsons skin" moment. If I recall some of the writers even said it was the low point of the entire series.

It actually still has one good joke in it during the chain gang segment, though, so maybe it shouldn't count

Definitely one of the main episodes I remember thinking was poo poo as soon as it aired. It wasn't quite panda rape tier but it was close.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Calico Heart posted:

That one ranked at the top of my worst episode list until at least season 18. I've come around on some of the lesser Scully era episodes as being at least better than the average Jean era episodes, but that one is just unforgivably obnoxious.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Streetcar named Marge is a good episode and not as problematic as some are making it out to be. It ultimately comes down to “are your sensibilities too fragile to actually watch television” because cartoons by their nature are generally not intended to be distressing to adults

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Streetcar named Marge is a good episode and not as problematic as some are making it out to be. It ultimately comes down to “are your sensibilities too fragile to actually watch television” because cartoons by their nature are generally not intended to be distressing to adults

oops I lightly criticised a cartoon, better head back to my fainting chair!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Calico Heart posted:

he is so absolutely awful to Marge in it that it gives me anxiety to watch.

Calico Heart posted:

better head back to my fainting chair!

Self care is important, godspeed goon

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

Speaking of episodes that give us anxiety, the one where Lisa babysits Bart.

My blood pressure shoots through the roof, every time.

yeah, this one is pretty rough to watch. i can still do it, but yeah...

oh and as to the question about the stinger at the end, well i never got the impression flanders was ever angry or frustrated with his kids, so i always interpreted his comments to be okay with the idea of bart getting killed, not that he hoped lisa would kill rod and todd.

Frog Act posted:

The episode where Lisa gets a restraining order is definitely in the bad seasons and not very good overall but the scene where Bart is living with a pack of dogs set to classical music is fantastic

now THIS episode on the other hand...yikes. this one is absolutely painful pretty much all throughout.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Frog Act posted:

...."fanastic", huh?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty standard music montage although classical music instead of a really on-the-nose pop song makes it better.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

oops I lightly criticised a cartoon, better head back to my fainting chair!

Don’t have a cow, man.

Calico Heart posted:

In Streetcar named Marge I'm pretty sure Marge pours her heart and soul into an activity she thinks will give her life more meaning than just being a housewife and Homer says it's stupid, refuses to help her when she asks, and then tries to prevent her from doing it. I dunno, to me that episode felt really unpleseant, maybe misremembering

I mean I get that he is being a real rear end in a top hat but if he was very supportive of her role, the entire plot is pointless. The conflict that drives the story is that Marge, the dotting housewife, can’t get any support for doing something she enjoys for once. You have to emphasize how unfair that is to sympathize with Marge. Without that, there is no conflict and there is no point for Homer to recognize that his behavior is wrong at the end of the episode. It’s the same thing with Lisa babysitting, to set up that conflict, to feel her frustration, to see Bart deservedly injure himself requires him to be an real pest.

This isn’t the Homer you have now who is always cruel, dumb, and unfunny...this is a classic episode that is really, funny but can also be a little nasty when it comes to its satire of sitcom relationships.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 1, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think anyone here is legitimately traumatized by anything in the Simpsons.

If there's something to criticize it's our classic goon tendency to overanalyze everything, like historians trying to explain the decline of the Roman Empire, except with a cartoon

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Riptor posted:

...."fanastic", huh?

Something about the dead eyed dog stare just works for me but maybe it’s because I am always stoned when I watch newer episodes

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The funniest gag from the golden years that still persists to this day is every time Moe says "Yeah hiya Midge" or some variant of it

like if u laugh every time~~~

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 2, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Homer sells the house or at least signs it over without telling marge in the movementarian episode. I'm only mentioning this because a goon mentioned a recent episode did it, no real point.

I had a good laugh in the treehouse of horror from season 9 where maude says something about witches tricking them into committing carnal sins and ned says it'd be nice

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Calico Heart posted:

IMO Homer's Enemy isn't even the worst we see Homer in golden age Simpsons. The episode where Marge is in Streetcar named Desire is, and I think it's one of the few episodes from the Golden Age I can't stand. That's the episode where they decide that Homer's stupidity will now sometimes manifest as cruelty, and he is so absolutely awful to Marge in it that it gives me anxiety to watch. Worse, the episode doesn't even have time for him to make up or demonstrate he's soryy - he says "sorry" five seconds before the episode ends and doesn't really indicate he'll change at all. Homer's Enemy is at least over-the-top and wacky - this ep feels like being trapped in an unhappy marriage for 20 minutes.

I do think that most of the heartwarming endings of the classic episodes feel earned, but this one definitely always felt a little forced to me.

Lisa on Ice is another one where Homer is pretty much in total jerkass mode, but the episode is really funny and the Bart and Lisa plot resolution more than makes up for it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

also don't forget the episode when lisa had a crush on her teacher. that was a pretty egregious example of jerkass homer

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

ilmucche posted:

Homer sells the house or at least signs it over without telling marge in the movementarian episode. I'm only mentioning this because a goon mentioned a recent episode did it, no real point.

"And it didn't cost us a dime!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hey. don't jerk me around, fella.

(seriously, I laughed big time when I saw your post.)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mr Interweb posted:

also don't forget the episode when lisa had a crush on her teacher. that was a pretty egregious example of jerkass homer

I loved this episode, but

1) I'm not sure what jerkassery you're referring to
2) I didn't think the "you are Lisa Simpson" thing was as profound as everyone else seems to think it was

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

YeahTubaMike posted:

I loved this episode, but

1) I'm not sure what jerkassery you're referring to
2) I didn't think the "you are Lisa Simpson" thing was as profound as everyone else seems to think it was

1) Yeah, Homer's behavior in that episode is more out of obliviousness, you can reasonably believe that shlubby dude like Homer might act like that, not out of malice or anything. I think of jerkass Homer as either being blatantly cruel and aware of it, or unaware of it on over-the-top levels.

2) It wasn't profound to us, but it exactly what Lisa needed to hear in that moment.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This sounds like an episode I need to rewatch. I only have season 4 readily available to me though. :(

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Isn't Lisa's substitute the one where homer says just because I don't care doesn't mean i don't understand

It's ok though because Marge scolds him and he learns the error of his ways

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like blood feud where marge is like “I can’t believe you all would laugh at an old mans pain” and then she scuttles off to the kitchen and as soon as she’s around the corner loses her poo poo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

you broke my grill posted:

Isn't Lisa's substitute the one where homer says just because I don't care doesn't mean i don't understand

It's ok though because Marge scolds him and he learns the error of his ways

Nice I'd like to hear your suggestions for improvements of problematic Simpsons episodes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Data Graham posted:

I like blood feud where marge is like “I can’t believe you all would laugh at an old mans pain” and then she scuttles off to the kitchen and as soon as she’s around the corner loses her poo poo

are u thinking of flanders letter bosom

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah whichever episode that was

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It's also a realistic depiction of some marriage/relationship dynamics

Do you guys not remember that the ending is Marge's performance getting through to Homer? That's the whole story arc!

Plus the "you can always depend on the kindness of strangers" song is absolutely hilarious in light of the real Streetcar story ending

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 3, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The stage scenes of Streetcart are some of the best bits in the whole run of The Simpsons.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

brugroffil posted:

It's also a realistic depiction of some marriage/relationship dynamics

Do you guys not remember that the ending is Marge's performance getting through to Homer? That's the whole story arc!

Plus the "you can always depend on the kindness of strangers" song is absolutely hilarious in light of the real Streetcar story ending

The musical-ization of Streetcar was the best running gag of that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To this day I have to remind myself that Streetcar is not a jaunty 90s musical