Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ershalim posted:

Good. I want to be wrong about how I see this playing out. Anecdotally, from New York where I am, people are still behaving relatively well and keeping social distancing where possible. But outside of the city itself people are pushing very hard that "it's not that bad, we need to stop overreacting" and that scares the poo poo out of me. I mean, I don't want people starving in their houses to avoid going out, but the other part where people don't flagrantly ignore the danger because they're too self absorbed? That part's good.

Well, that's likely because in rural areas it's much less common to see an outbreak of covid like it is in urban areas where everyone's packed in together. Where I live we've only seen a few cases in town (like 3 and then the shutdown took place) because the majority of the area is agricultural. the only time you see crowds are at gas stations and the grocery store. You can see how this plays into the "It's not that bad" mindset. Of course republicans pounding the "End the shutdown" or "It's a hoax/harmless" drums don't exactly help.
Our local Tractor Supply has been handing out face masks for about a week now

ghostwritingduck posted:

My first reaction was that the IRS was coming after me for a past tax mistake so that letter did not give me warm, happy feelings.

Yeah, this. After my recent UIA "We can't identify you, submit or lose it all" letters this didn't do much for the old comfort zone

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Crane Fist posted:

It also didn't have Trump sending everyone a check with his name on it

Actually fun fact: most people got an envelope from the IRS with Trump's "you're welcome peasant" note with no check first, with rent and bills stacking up. I got mine like that yesterday, and I was furious

He even hosed up the simplest layup possible of giving people money :lol:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 1, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

What are you talking about? There is no evidence that outside of a bunch of fringe, violent idiots that anyone is unhappy with Whitmer in Michigan. Also even most Republicans aren't Super Pleased about people with rifles storming buildings (regardless of their 2nd Amendment stance). Great job bending over backwards to somehow make this the Democrats fault despite all evidence to the contrary.

Michiganders as a whole are saying how loving stupid these protestors are and how childish the GOP legislature is being. It's backfiring hard

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I got my letter too. Went right into the shredder.

TulliusCicero posted:

Actually fun fact: most people got an envelope from the IRS with Trump's "you're welcome peasant" note with no check first, with rent and bills stacking up. I got mine like that yesterday, and I was furious

More people will remember poo poo like this than if they got the money before this letter.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

FYI of all places Morning Joe is discussing Reade’s allegations against Biden extensively.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TyrantWD posted:

I understand that people have accepted their new normal and are eager to go back to life as it once was, even if it means some people are going to die. It is not just chuds wanting to get haircuts who are going to try and force things back to normal.

And with regards to the economy, I am well aware that a loss of 15-20% of foot traffic is enough to shutter many businesses, but the unemployment rate will recover somewhat. It is highly unlikely that we make it to November with unemployment in the high teens. If that is where things are 6 months from now, elections will be the least of our worries.

How do you think unemployment will magically heal?

Millions of people have been layed off; millions more won't have jobs to go back to. The economy will stutter and sputter along with every new major outbreak. We are looking at a second wave that shutters things hard, especially if the red states continue going full Florida Man. The economy is heading into a bad recession and the GOP refuses to acknowledge reality that millions can't live for 2 to 3 months on 1200 dollars

The idiots and snowbirds are going to come back from Florida and infect everyone. The blue states should ban travel to and from Flirida while we have the chance.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

OhDearGodNo posted:

FYI of all places Morning Joe is discussing Reade’s allegations against Biden extensively.

How is it going?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Medullah posted:

How is it going?

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1256195709101015040

There's also this, so I guess he's going the "never happened" route:

https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/1256185803602100224

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Joe Biden denies he sexually assaulted a former Senate aide, calls on National Archives to release complaint - The Washington Post

May 1, 2020 at 8:02 a.m. EDT

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden on Friday denied that he sexually assaulted a former Senate aide, addressing the allegation publicly for the first time under increasing pressure from his party to speak about it.

“I want to address allegations by a former staffer that I engaged in misconduct 27 years ago,” Biden said in a statement released by his campaign. “They aren’t true. This never happened.”

Biden echoed his denial on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” shortly after the statement was released.

“No it is not true,” he said. “It never never happened.”

Biden also called on the National Archives to release any record of a complaint Reade says she filed. “If there was ever any such complaint, the record will be there,” he said.

He attempted to show solidarity with the MeToo movement even as he firmly repudiated the accusations from former Senate aide Tara Reade, who claims he reached under her skirt and penetrated her 27 years ago.

“While the details of these allegations of sexual harassment and sexual assault are complicated, two things are not complicated. One is that women deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, and when they step forward they should be heard, not silenced. The second is that their stories should be subject to appropriate inquiry and scrutiny,” he said in his statement.

Biden also attacked President Trump, saying “we have lived long enough with a President who doesn’t think he is accountable to anyone, and takes responsibility for nothing. That’s not me. I believe being accountable means having the difficult conversations, even when they are uncomfortable. People need to hear the truth.”

Biden’s campaign had previously denied the allegations by Reade, who worked in Biden’s Senate office for nine months ending in 1993. But for weeks, the former vice president had been silent about her accusation. This week, demands from within his party to address it grew louder, and with each public appearance came scrutiny that began to eclipse the ideas and themes he was trying to promote.

Democratic and Republican leaders also came under intensifying calls to weigh in, triggering an explosive and often partisan debate. For many Democrats, the allegation was an uncomfortable topic that forced them to try to reconcile their support for Biden with advocacy for many women who come forward with claims of sexual assault against powerful men. For some top Republicans, it was occasion to accuse Democrats of a double standard.

Trump on Biden sexual assault allegation: ‘I think he should respond’
President Trump on April 30 suggested Tara Reade’s sexual assault allegation against former vice president Joe Biden could be a “false accusation.” (The Washington Post)
Trump, Biden’s expected general election opponent, said Thursday that Biden “should respond” to the accusation, which Trump said he “didn’t know anything about.” The president suggested that Reade’s account could be a “false accusation,” a topic he said he knew well. More than 20 women have accused the president of sexual misconduct over the years, prompting a series of denials.

Trump said Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh was “falsely charged” during his nomination hearings of sexually assaulting a woman when they were both teenagers in high school and said that what Kavanaugh endured was a “disgrace to the country.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has accused Democrats of abandoning the criticism and skepticism they applied to Kavanaugh when it comes to Biden.

“I think what most Americans would like is sort of a symmetrical evaluation of these allegations rather than what we have seen at least so far,” McConnell said on Fox News Radio this week.

Some Democrats have reached a similar conclusion, and have expressed frustration that their party leaders have not been more vocal. Many top Democrats have been reluctant to weigh in publicly at length, but have defended him when asked about the accusations.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that she has “a great comfort level” with how Biden had addressed the allegation — although at that point he had not spoken about it — and called him “a person of great integrity.” Other Democrats have demanded more details from Biden.

Biden has declined a request for an interview with The Washington Post. His campaign has repeatedly said Reade’s claims are not true.

Reade’s accusation that Biden reached under her skirt and penetrated her in 1993 was the first allegation of sexual assault made against him. In 2019, several women said Biden had been overly affectionate in a way that made them uncomfortable in previous interactions.

Reade said last year in interviews with The Post and with other outlets that Biden had put his hands on her shoulders and neck when she was working in his Senate office. She said that she had complained about it to more senior aides in the office, but those aides told The Post they had no recollection of Reade’s claim.

Last month, in a podcast interview, she alleged that the then-senator had assaulted her after pushing her against a wall somewhere on Capitol Hill.

The Post published a detailed examination of her account two weeks ago in which one of her friends confirmed that Reade had told her of an incident shortly after she said it had occurred. Reade’s brother, Collin Moulton, also told The Post that she had told him in 1993 that Biden had touched her neck and shoulders. Several days after the interview, he said in a text message to The Post that he recalled her telling him that Biden had put his hand “under her clothes.”

In an interview published by Business Insider on Monday, Lynda LaCasse, a former acquaintance of Reade, said Reade had told her of an alleged assault in the mid-1990s, when they lived in the same California housing complex. LaCasse on Wednesday confirmed those details to The Post.

“She told me that Joe Biden sexually assaulted her,” she wrote in a text message. “She said that he had put her up against a wall, put his hand up her skirt and his fingers inside her.”

She added that she is “a very strong Democrat” and was supporting Biden for president.

“I believed Tara at the time she told me that Mr. Biden assaulted her, and I continue to support her now,” she wrote. “I feel that the truth needs to be told.”

Lorraine Sanchez, who worked with Reade in California after her tenure in Washington, told Business Insider that Reade had told her she “had been sexually harassed by her former boss while she was in DC and as a result of her voicing her concerns to her supervisors, she was let go, fired.” But Reade herself has given various reasons for her departure.

The corroboration from the women came several days after a 1993 call to Larry King’s CNN talk show surfaced.

In the clip, a woman whom Reade identified as her ­now-deceased mother called to report unspecified “problems” her daughter was having with her employer, whom she called “a prominent senator.” The caller said her daughter did not want to go public with her account “out of respect for” the unnamed senator.

That bolded part is... hoo boy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guarantee that they already destroyed that record if they even kept one back then

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TulliusCicero posted:

My mom got one of those and already got her check and she still was pissed. It was essentially government funded propaganda. The money could have gone to hospitals.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1256195312965877760

AOC!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pick posted:

Are any of those people old enough--on either side?--to potentially perish and upset the race if they contract the bad disease that disproportionately affects the elderly (a statistically vulnerable population in many ways)?

This always feels like a minefield to talk about, but just as objectively as possible: seniors are definitely the most at risk, but the ones who have unrestricted access to health care are not really that much more at risk. It's the ones flooding the hospitals that are really in danger.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm not watching, but I assume Scarborough is confused about how Reade is still around to make accusations even though every Senator has a desk in their office?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guarantee that they already destroyed that record if they even kept one back then

So if you watch the whole thing, Mika pushes on the record thing also, about having Reade fully heard out.

She also points out his hypocrisy with Kavanough and if he feels allegations should only be believed when they’re not against him.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

This always feels like a minefield to talk about, but just as objectively as possible: seniors are definitely the most at risk, but the ones who have unrestricted access to health care are not really that much more at risk. It's the ones flooding the hospitals that are really in danger.

How much does health care help with the virus? I was under the impression for the elderly that a ventilator meant you had like a 80% chance of dying anyway - like thats way better than 100% but it seems like its not a huge difference overall. Are other treatments helpful as well?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

cr0y posted:

Wait what

This is the spiciest take I’ve ever seen, it literally burned me.

Also a little late to the party but supporting another local candidate in the DMV is definitely my jam.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
https://twitter.com/DevlinBarrett/status/1256178353662562305?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

evilweasel posted:

How much does health care help with the virus? I was under the impression for the elderly that a ventilator meant you had like a 80% chance of dying anyway - like thats way better than 100% but it seems like its not a huge difference overall. Are other treatments helpful as well?

There's a lot of treatment that occurs before they have to go to the ventilator. That's the last step, and the one that they try to avoid.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/Vanessa_ABee/status/1256204185965678592?s=19

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256202305680158720

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Random Stranger posted:

There's a lot of treatment that occurs before they have to go to the ventilator. That's the last step, and the one that they try to avoid.

Is there "a lot of treatment" for covid 19 that actually stops the progression of the disease? I don't think there is yet.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/1256198636146495488

quote:

Lawmakers voted by mail on the emergency plan. The House approved it on a 62-to-39 vote and the Senate voted 31-to-8.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there "a lot of treatment" for covid 19 that actually stops the progression of the disease? I don't think there is yet.

I thought early treatment with oxygen masks and similar markedly reduced the number of cases progressing to needing ventilators. That's one of the reasons there were enough ventilators to go around.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Michigan can have little a coronavirus, as a treat

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

Any good links to read up on it?

JacobinPhoney
Mar 21, 2013

Everyone responsible for this should be ripped out of their homes in the middle of the night and fed to gators

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Any good links to read up on it?

I think oxygen is the step immediately before ventilation.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I’m not her biggest fan but she did. Non essential businesses can do curbside pickup. Idiots can golf.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Golf courses have been open this whole time in New York of all places

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hooray this is going to make this weekend even more fun in Mi.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1256208826455461890

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah those dastardly lawyers...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

deals
DEALS
DEALS!!!!

I CUM TO THE THOUGHT OF DEALS!!!!

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Schumer isn't up for re-election until 2022.

Lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m sure the Dems will be happy to give that to them

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They've learned that it is best to keep people on oxygen and keep them in a prone position for as long as possible before putting them on a ventilator. Like you need to be borderline unconscious before they move you over. But oxygen is plentiful and hospitals worldwide know the prone positioning thing yet older people are still in real trouble if they get it.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Liability protection has ALWAYS been code for "allow capital to harm labor".

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m sure the Dems will be happy to give that to them

If they don’t, people on the left will gobble right wing propaganda about the Dems holding up aid, and then they take poo poo from both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Golf courses have been open this whole time in New York of all places

I mean I despise the sport of golf for its environmental waste and its elitist restriction of public commons, but if you had to design the perfect socially-distanced sport it would look something like golf.

I'm sure there plenty of terrible components here though, like they're keeping the clubhouse and caddy service going, or using N95s to wipe down their clubs