Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Boy it sure is timely that we’re talking about envelope X, because there’s a new add-on that’s Envelope X-related!

Better extremely late than never, I suppose. I'd like to think this comes with an implicit promise not to make the same mistakes again in Frosthaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

sirtommygunn posted:

We get an extra class if the kickstarter hits 12.4 million, but we've got only 26 hours before it ends and its at 10.3, I don't think it's gonna make it :negative:

If all 70k current backers throw in an extra $15, we're still a million short.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So here for the Envelope X add-on. But I'll still be salty about it just a little bit :argh:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So excuse my ignorance of Kickstarter, but is the way it works you just increase the amount of your pledge and can allocate the add-ons later? I might get some of the other add-ons, especially stuff like the early release for the PC game since I am going to get that eventually anyway.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Guy A. Person posted:

So excuse my ignorance of Kickstarter, but is the way it works you just increase the amount of your pledge and can allocate the add-ons later? I might get some of the other add-ons, especially stuff like the early release for the PC game since I am going to get that eventually anyway.
Yes. Once the funding closes there's a pledge manager that allows you to change how much you're paying and set exactly what add-ons you're getting, that'll be up for a while (could be weeks or months, dunno if he's said exactly). It's more obvious how it works once the pledge manager goes up.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Can we add our estimated shipping cost to our pledge now and help boost the number? I thought shipping gets added later.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Anyone have protips for playing Sun in 2P, or general thoughts?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cocks Cable posted:

Can we add our estimated shipping cost to our pledge now and help boost the number? I thought shipping gets added later.
Yup, sure can.

Anything excess in your pledge will be a credit in Backerkit. You pick and choose how you want that money to be allocated.

Normally it's better to pay shipping later because kickstarter and payment processing will both take a cut. But hey, we're setting records here.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Looking at the Frosthaven expansion, and I'm having a hard time talking myself into dropping $240 on a sequel when I'm less than halfway through Gloomhaven.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Scoss posted:

Anyone have protips for playing Sun in 2P, or general thoughts?

What concerns do you have? Sun is great at all player counts. Make sure you get 100 gold asap to enhance your permanent shield card and you're golden.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At 2P Sun need to lean more on the damage abilities than the support ones but that's true of all classes. Won't get much mileage out of the ongoing Retaliate card either. Class works fine though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

2P Sun: Sun's near-invulnerability doesn't rely on allies, but they do need help taking out ranged enemies. So a tank build should still work so long as your ally can provide ranged damage. The Sun's support abilities are sometimes about boosting all allies, which become a lot worse then it's just 2 players, but Sun has a lot of good alternatives to those; focus on attack+tank instead of support+tank. Also, Sun's solo scenario item is busted, so if you're doing solo scenarios at all then for sure go get that one

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

LLSix posted:

Looking at the Frosthaven expansion, and I'm having a hard time talking myself into dropping $240 on a sequel when I'm less than halfway through Gloomhaven.

I thought the same thing, but you won’t get the game until spring/summer 2021. Plenty of time to play through Gloomhaven.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Frosthaven raised over a million yesterday. Even if they don't make it, they'll get agonizingly close.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Those of you who really hated Envelope X, good news for Frosthaven: there's an entire book just for puzzles!

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

HMS Beagle posted:

Frosthaven raised over a million yesterday. Even if they don't make it, they'll get agonizingly close.

840k in 7 hours to top KDM :f5:

It’s going up like 1k or more every minute if I refresh but even that isn’t fast enough

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I assumed the stretch goal was super out of reach and kind of mean to tease us with at the last minute, but it's going to be closer than I thought.

Still kind of agree with this comment from the kickstarter page though:

"I'll just reiterate, that at a time when people are in financial crisis, it's extremely tacky for you to ask for more money. This project is already a wild success. The fact that you're only offering an incentive at the end if people get you slightly farther is ridiculous."

Isaac's been an extremely nice and generous dude, so I'm not going to hold this one moment against him, but deciding to arbitrarily have a stretch goal just to beat KDM after making a point of not having stretch goals for so long (and having a post urging people to increase their pledges with add-ons to help achieve it) was a weird decision.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 1, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm assuming he gets pays less to KS if he gets number one or something. I adjusted my pledge to account for shipping and taxes though, that was simple enough.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Spikes32 posted:

I adjusted my pledge to account for shipping and taxes though, that was simple enough.

:emptyquote:

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

I'm assuming he gets pays less to KS if he gets number one or something. I adjusted my pledge to account for shipping and taxes though, that was simple enough.

Ehhhh I think he gets less $ if more money goes through the Kickstarter rather than backerkit, since KS takes a bigger cut.

He’s just doing it to top the titty game on the leaderboard & I’m down with that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sinteres posted:

"I'll just reiterate, that at a time when people are in financial crisis, it's extremely tacky for you to ask for more money. This project is already a wild success. The fact that you're only offering an incentive at the end if people get you slightly farther is ridiculous."

I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment. If you're financially hurting then obviously don't increase your pledge...actually gently caress that, if you're financially hurting don't pledge $100+ on a board game that you won't get to play for over a year, that's insanely reckless spending.

You could make the argument it's tacky to ask people to spend on a board game period in this time, but they're clearly not doing that since they pledged on this. This mainly sounds like whining that they might not get an extra treat.

EDIT: it's literally the Dril budget tweet but replace "candles" with "high priced Kickstarter board games". Oh no how will this person feed their family?

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 1, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Guy A. Person posted:

I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment. If you're financially hurting then obviously don't increase your pledge...actually gently caress that, if you're financially hurting don't pledge $100+ on a board game that you won't get to play for over a year, that's insanely reckless spending.

You could make the argument it's tacky to ask people to spend on a board game period in this time, but they're clearly not doing that since they pledged on this. This mainly sounds like whining that they might not get an extra treat.

That's exactly what it is.

This is an expensive board game aimed at people who have the disposable income to buy it. This request for additional stretch goal money is aimed at people who can afford to do so.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Take out the coronavirus thing and I still think it's weird for him to abandon his no stretch goals principle and start whipping people into purchasing add-ons at the last minute just to have the biggest epeen on the platform. It's standard kickstarter behavior, and yeah it only seems weird because he personally has been better than the vast majority of people running these things (which is why I'm not holding a weird couple days against him), but it still feels off brand from what we've seen from him before.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

5 hours to go, 500,000 still needed :f5:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sinteres posted:

Take out the coronavirus thing and I still think it's weird for him to abandon his no stretch goals principle and start whipping people into purchasing add-ons at the last minute just to have the biggest epeen on the platform. It's standard kickstarter behavior, and yeah it only seems weird because he personally has been better than the vast majority of people running these things (which is why I'm not holding a weird couple days against him), but it still feels off brand from what we've seen from him before.
He's never had a no stretch goals principle, you may be getting that confused with no kickstarter exclusives.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

On the other hand Kingdom Death deserves to get knocked off it's throne.

I'm pretty sure the stretch goal is fake in that even if the campaign falls short, Issac will still make that 17th class.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I don't begrudge him for adding the stretch goal. I don't think he had $12.4 million in mind as an attainable goal until this week, and I see the allure of wanting to have claim to the highest funded board game of all time. I don't think he planned to ever add a stretch goal.

It looks like it's going to make it too. I think a lot of folks added the $15 for the Envelope X mini and shipping.

And agreed that KDM needs to be knocked down a peg. The game looked interesting when I first heard about it, but the art is :chloe:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

misguided rage posted:

He's never had a no stretch goals principle, you may be getting that confused with no kickstarter exclusives.

Fair enough. It was definitely something he said wouldn't be in this campaign, but I guess the man's allowed to change his mind. :shrug:

Cocks Cable posted:

I'm pretty sure the stretch goal is fake in that even if the campaign falls short, Issac will still make that 17th class.

He should. $12.x million is still a fuckload of money, even if x<4.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This is just highlighting to me how my Gloomhaven group hasn't met since corona ☹️ we had been consistently meeting once a week for 6 months!!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Impermanent posted:

This is just highlighting to me how my Gloomhaven group hasn't met since corona ☹️ we had been consistently meeting once a week for 6 months!!

Try Tabletop Sim!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Scoss posted:

Try Tabletop Sim!

Yeah this. It's great.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Scoss posted:

Try Tabletop Sim!

3rding! It’s been on sale pretty much nonstop since the pandemic started too. There’s a learning curve and it takes an hour or two to port over your physical campaign, but the fantasy setup mod is fantastic and has enough scripting and automation that it makes things pretty easy. Just watch out for your players doing things like unlocking their character mat and losing it by dropping it onto a stack of summons and delaying the game for 20 minutes while everyone tries to figure out what happened :smith:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was skeptical, but it sure looks like the goal's going to be met.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Sinteres posted:

I was skeptical, but it sure looks like the goal's going to be met.

Yeah, it looked it was going to be close for a while, but now it's $200k to go with 4 hours left. Barring a ton of faithless pledges, Frosthaven should dethrone KDM.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Apologies for the slight derail but is Kingdom Death any good in terms of gameplay? I see it every year at Gen Con and there's always a huge crowd and the minis are really nice and the tables they make for them are also really nice but I've never been able to get a handle on how it plays.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Apologies for the slight derail but is Kingdom Death any good in terms of gameplay? I see it every year at Gen Con and there's always a huge crowd and the minis are really nice and the tables they make for them are also really nice but I've never been able to get a handle on how it plays.

A loooot of people like it. It's a little hardcore/grimdark in concept for me, lots of permanent maiming injuries that ruin characters, death comes easy, etc, but mechanically the gameplay seems pretty sound.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Actually it's very bad

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Elephant Ambush posted:

From what I’ve heard, the gameplay is good, but the themes range from cringey to problematic. I think the worst stuff is constrained to optional add-ons like the pinup versions, but the fact that those include things like a nightmare breast pump and a thong that protects you unless your genitals are destroyed makes me take a pass on the whole thing.

For example :nws: https://kingdomdeath.myshopify.com/collections/in-stock/products/pinup-wet-nurse-1

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
KDM: Vanquished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Elephant Ambush posted:

My understanding is that the fights are actually pretty neat—the monsters AI is interesting and distinct. But there’s not enough different fights to really support the weight of a campaign—you’re going to grind a shitload of White Lions and Screaming Antelope. And the campaign stuff surrounding the fights is just kind of overly grimdark and random.