Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

The video in question is about the other, wrong kind of magic.

BG2 has so many gimmicky enemies that will completely annihilate you unless you have the right protection spells/items/abilities up that you kinda have to assume it's intentional and supposed to be a puzzle like you described.

Yeah I don't think it's meant to be ironman'd without a lot of specific encounter knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nebakenezzer posted:

But yeah, I suspect rangers are just in the shallow end of the pool.
One specific person at WotC was really resistant to any requests I made to modify the ranger, including the suggestion of using Monte Cook's variant. This person became so troubled by my attempts that he asked my boss to fire me, which is epic. (He is no longer there.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Why don't people like IWD2? I personally love the art, all the exploring you can do and how there are a multitude of solutions and interactions depending on what kind of characters you have. The combat feels much more challenging and engaging to the 2:ed ruleset. You must want a combat heavy game though, but IMO it's the best game for a multiplayer session as all participants can contribute. Shame it was rushed out the doors and some areas are underdeveloped.

I only played the Icewind Dales for the first time a few years ago and liked them just fine. But yeah, if you don't like IE D&D combat, they're not going to be for you.

rope kid posted:

One specific person at WotC was really resistant to any requests I made to modify the ranger, including the suggestion of using Monte Cook's variant. This person became so troubled by my attempts that he asked my boss to fire me, which is epic. (He is no longer there.)

That was a dick move on his part regardless of who was right, imo

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

rope kid posted:

Goddamn, that's like so much to unpack and extremely dickish thing to do over something like this, sorry to hear that, man :catstare:

If anything, this confirms the existence of Paladin Illuminati :colbert:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 1, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Galewolf posted:

You are right about divine spells, most of the time there is not much to do with them on any given level and they don't influence how encounters happen besides "hit things harder" with few exceptions.

The guy likes to talk about magicks I guess. :shrug:

Its a phenomenon of being a twitch streamer. He could've really knocked out every spell in less then 30 minutes with time stamps for each but hes a twitch streamer so the default mentality is "turn camera on, start talking" for everything.

It does sucks no one is writing in depth text walkthroughs anymore. I still run a single screen PC setup but even with dual monitors a video walkthrough isnt helpful unless you can click to the timestamp for the quest or boss or whatever. Plus you have to listen to someone ramble on over the game audio.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rope kid posted:

:lol:

Was the ranger class like a pet of theirs that they thought was perfect as is or did they understand it was lack luster but hated it and wanted it to remain so?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

rope kid posted:

Lmfao

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

rope kid posted:

Laffo, that is amazing

It's a shame for many reasons that the IWD2 source code was lost and we never got an EE, but I guess we can add "Fixed Ranger to annoy that one specific dude."

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 1, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I don't think it's meant to be ironman'd without a lot of specific encounter knowledge

There's a lot of crazy encounters (and ambushes, the end of the Durlag quest alone, geez), but there's also so many insta-kill traps too that I'd say it isn't possible to ironman this game without a huge load of metagaming.

That said, someone has ascended Nethack without spoilers, so... Although I don't know how you'd un-spoil yourself for playing BG :shrug:

rope kid posted:

That is the craziest 'dicks at the workplace' story I've ever heard and I've worked in academia :stare:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rappaport posted:

There's a lot of crazy encounters (and ambushes, the end of the Durlag quest alone, geez), but there's also so many insta-kill traps too that I'd say it isn't possible to ironman this game without a huge load of metagaming.

That said, someone has ascended Nethack without spoilers, so... Although I don't know how you'd un-spoil yourself for playing BG :shrug:

That is the craziest 'dicks at the workplace' story I've ever heard and I've worked in academia :stare:

I've never heard WotC being mentioned in anything regarding a postive light. It always seemed like it was run by old school true believer hardcore nerds who made life difficult for anyone who didn't agree 100% with them.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Galewolf posted:

I always wondered one thing about Kangaxx. Back when I first played the game I tried to kill him without any prior knowledge about how to do it so I frantically cast summons to keep him busy and tried to plink him down with Carsomyr which ended up in eventually skipping a beat and getting all my party or the tanks imprisoned.

When I did it the "proper" way by using Korgans berserk and using Protection from Magic Scroll I wondered if it was a puzzle, meant to test your reading (the ability cards clearly explain but lol who reads those) and maybe meta-knowledge or simply an oversight and meant to be a "victory at a great cost" kinda encounter where you were supposed to lose one or two companions.

It's very much a gimmick boss, as far as I can tell the fight is either trivial or impossible and nothing inbetween. I'm not sure what SCS does to change that because SCS is poo poo imo.

I guess by modern game standards it would be considered bad design, because there's absolutely no way to figure it out on your first attempt. But it's also classic D&D because if you can get to the point of summoning Kangaxx without picking up on the fact that this is a really, really bad idea, then you're dumb and deserve to die. But part of what makes D&D fun is precisely that the players are not the strongest beings around and are most definitely not able to defeat every enemy they encounter. "Oh poo poo how the gently caress do we escape" / "we need avoid having to fight this thing at all costs" / "oh gently caress how can we ensure that no one can ever summon this thing??" are all really fun tabletop experiences but they don't translate very well to a computer game unfortunately.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Isn't there a way to cheese Kangaxx in one hit with the Mace of Disruption, or was that something that was only possible in early versions?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah he's vulnerable to azure edge and mace of disruption but he's got good saves so you'd have to get lucky to kill him before he imprisons the characters using them

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

Amazing. :allears:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You can't use azuredge on Kangaxx in demi-lich form because it's only +3. The upgraded mace of disruption hits as +5.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

bike tory posted:

Yeah he's vulnerable to azure edge and mace of disruption but he's got good saves so you'd have to get lucky to kill him before he imprisons the characters using them

Scroll or Protection from Undead renders them immune/invisible to Kangaxx. Leave everyone else upstairs or out of sight.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Suspicious posted:

You can't use azuredge on Kangaxx in demi-lich form because it's only +3. The upgraded mace of disruption hits as +5.

Unless the EE fixed it, azuredge could still kill him, it just couldn't damage him

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Scroll or Protection from Undead renders them immune/invisible to Kangaxx. Leave everyone else upstairs or out of sight.

Yeah we're talking about whether it's actually possible to do without any protections

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Been trying to figure out a build to go with for playing through BG1 and SoD that doesn't require a lot of planning, and after reading up on the PIH wiki and a couple of other places, its sounds like Half-Orc Barbarian might be a good bet. :black101:

The alternative I guess would be Berserker, which has the bonuses of Grand Mastery for weapons, the ability to wear plate, and the option to dual class. However, the berserk fatigue sounds annoying, and barbarians get a d12 versus the berserker's d10.

I had originally thought about doing a bard or bard kit, but it sounds like that might be more difficult then I thought.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Go Evil Halfling Barbarian for the saving throw bonuses and eventual skin armour.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Go Evil Halfling Barbarian for the saving throw bonuses and eventual skin armour.

Wouldn't a dwarf be better for the saving throw bonuses?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Going through BG1 with a 17 strength barbarian sounds very cool and smart.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Been trying to figure out a build to go with for playing through BG1 and SoD that doesn't require a lot of planning, and after reading up on the PIH wiki and a couple of other places, its sounds like Half-Orc Barbarian might be a good bet. :black101:

The alternative I guess would be Berserker, which has the bonuses of Grand Mastery for weapons, the ability to wear plate, and the option to dual class. However, the berserk fatigue sounds annoying, and barbarians get a d12 versus the berserker's d10.

I had originally thought about doing a bard or bard kit, but it sounds like that might be more difficult then I thought.

Berserk lasts longer though. Also, I always felt the Barbarian rage’s + to strength isn’t as great if you are already starting at 19 Str.

In any case, another good option is the Blackguard. You get the immunity to a few annoying things, plus poison weapon. I suppose Cavalier is pretty good too if you want to play good instead of evil.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Unless you're on insane or SCS its completely fine, especially since you'll have a +1 to all your stats if you find the tomes for later on in the game. Plus the 19 dex means a great AC early on.

The extra -5 for saving throws makes a massive difference early level when a single horror or confusion spell can be a party wipe.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The racial save bonuses are missing in some cases, so I would do some research if that’s important to you. I’m not sure if that was fixed in the EE games.

In case you’re not aware, the reason people are suggesting other races is because you get a chance to gain 1 point of strength late in BG1, so 19 starting strength is not that big a deal (although arguably the extra point of strength is most needed at low levels when the party has poo poo thaco and no magical weapons)

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Cavalier is the ultimate choose and forget class which stays relevant through all games (Early BG: Immunity to Fear&Poison, BG2 and ToB self buffs, +3 thaco and dmg against demons/dragons and Carsomyr). The divine spellcasting after lvl 9 is gravy along with high Cha reaction bonus/sales. Highly recommended.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Between Rage, DUHM and potions the lowered Strength shouldn't make that much of a difference, but a dwarf would of course still be better. And get more out of the Helmet of Dumathoin.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mechanically, berserker is better than barbarian in like every way. Barb is fun though so don't let that stop you.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Zarfol posted:

Berserk lasts longer though. Also, I always felt the Barbarian rage’s + to strength isn’t as great if you are already starting at 19 Str.

In any case, another good option is the Blackguard. You get the immunity to a few annoying things, plus poison weapon. I suppose Cavalier is pretty good too if you want to play good instead of evil.

Galewolf posted:

Cavalier is the ultimate choose and forget class which stays relevant through all games (Early BG: Immunity to Fear&Poison, BG2 and ToB self buffs, +3 thaco and dmg against demons/dragons and Carsomyr). The divine spellcasting after lvl 9 is gravy along with high Cha reaction bonus/sales. Highly recommended.

I had considered Cavalier as well, since I figured if I was crazy and decided to play through BG2 again, I could get Azuredge, which negates the ranged weapon issue.

bike tory posted:

Mechanically, berserker is better than barbarian in like every way. Barb is fun though so don't let that stop you.

Beserker does seem better overall, but I figured with a barbarian, it'd be an easy playthrough where I could tank damage and smash enemies to bits without much fuss.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kangaxx is easy once you figure out the various ways to kill him. The fun part is figuring these things out though a cycle of saving/loading and death.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Barbarian doesn’t get winded and ultimately gets 20% physical damage resistance that berserker doesn’t get (which in the long run is a big deal).

IMO Barbarian beats berserker for a single class in the long run, but berserker is the more effective choice for the majority of the saga.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Barbarian doesn’t get winded and ultimately gets 20% physical damage resistance that berserker doesn’t get (which in the long run is a big deal).

IMO Barbarian beats berserker for a single class in the long run, but berserker is the more effective choice for the majority of the saga.

Almost forgot, But archer is a great class too and is an absolute menace for the whole game (crossbow you can buy outside Watchers Keep gets around all the immunity bullshit in late game)

Paladin gets armor of faith and Draw upon holy might which is kinda the same (except the immunities and I guess at later levels too).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zarfol posted:

Almost forgot, But archer is a great class too and is an absolute menace for the whole game (crossbow you can buy outside Watchers Keep gets around all the immunity bullshit in late game)

By late game the gesan bow is way better for that and very few if any enemies are electrical resistant.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

Is it still viable to get a barbarian through SoD, BG2 and ToB?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 2, 2020

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Max Wilco posted:

I’ve never single classed one through the entire saga but there’s no reason why it wouldn’t be as effective as any other single class fighter.

A dwarven defender is a good shout as well. They’re special ability is consistently amazing from beginning to end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Still need to do an evil shorty Barbarian run for the human flesh armor, all the funding immunities.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

I’ve never single classed one through the entire saga but there’s no reason why it wouldn’t be as effective as any other single class fighter.

A dwarven defender is a good shout as well. They’re special ability is consistently amazing from beginning to end.

Dwarven Defender is actually the class I used to beat BG2 and ToB.

I thought you couldn't dual class barbarians.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Max Wilco posted:

Dwarven Defender is actually the class I used to beat BG2 and ToB.

I thought you couldn't dual class barbarians.

You can’t - I should have said played rather than single classed. Was having a berserker vs. Barbarian debate in my brain when I wrote that.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Can't barbs dual now that they're a fighter kit in the EE?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Can't barbs dual now that they're a fighter kit in the EE?

A quick search makes it sound like you still can't dual-class from barbarians, but I'm not sure. Maybe it was patched in at some point, though.

I can't dual-class as it is, though, since I ended up rolling a half-orc barbarian.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Max Wilco posted:

There is no class that you can’t get through all three games, solo or otherwise.