Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

cage-free egghead posted:

The Note 8T has LTE bands 2, 4, and 5. There are a handful that have many more LTE bands. The Mi Mix 3 has every LTE band except for 14.

Yeah I suppose the Mi Mix 3 might work ok on Cricket? 🤔 Hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've been doing research for a while now and I don't know if this exists but we'll see...

Does anyone know of a good, stable tripod that can hold a Pixel 4 XL in a case?

I've looked all night and the only ones I found either are cheaply made but cost $30+ (Joby) or are a noname brand and are unstable and fall over (mostly not Joby) or look cool...and don't actually hold a phone without breaking the tripod or the screen of the phone because it rests against a screw (????

Thanks.

Over the years I've used multiple versions of the spring loaded clamp thingies that mount to any tripod. Never been the least bit concerned with their ability to hold the phone or even tablet sometimes.

I can't really recommend any particular brand as I've never cared about the brand. Every one I've used has been about the same.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I've been thinking about getting a Pixel 2 on ebay that I'll probably be using more as an NFC writer than as a phone (but maybe I'll use it as a backup here and there). I see a lot of the cheaper ones reporting "minor LCD ghosting." I had a TV get burn in once and it was slightly annoying but nothing I couldn't live with. Same with Pixel phones?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rick posted:

I've been thinking about getting a Pixel 2 on ebay that I'll probably be using more as an NFC writer than as a phone (but maybe I'll use it as a backup here and there). I see a lot of the cheaper ones reporting "minor LCD ghosting." I had a TV get burn in once and it was slightly annoying but nothing I couldn't live with. Same with Pixel phones?

I assume you mean screen burn-in since the Pixel 2 doesn't have an LCD.

My mom's has crazy burn, and mine that I sold last winter had zero. What is a bigger issue is the battery, both of ours were totally shot after two years of use.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

I used to use a few different Xiaomi phones on Cricket and while they would rarely get LTE, HSPA+ was fine for basic usage.

Whatever would work with AT&T is almost a sure bet to work on Cricket.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Always on Display is coming to Oneplus phones............in the fall:

"Always on Display - development to be finished around June, CBT/OBT coming in Aug/Sep [subject to changes, there are various factors working]"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I assume you mean screen burn-in since the Pixel 2 doesn't have an LCD.

My mom's has crazy burn, and mine that I sold last winter had zero. What is a bigger issue is the battery, both of ours were totally shot after two years of use.

Screen burn, yes, sorry. The battery thing is good to know though, maybe I'll just see if I can find something newer with the same <100 price point and NFC.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Over the years I've used multiple versions of the spring loaded clamp thingies that mount to any tripod. Never been the least bit concerned with their ability to hold the phone or even tablet sometimes.

I can't really recommend any particular brand as I've never cared about the brand. Every one I've used has been about the same.

https://www.amazon.com/POLAM-FOTO-Camera-Compact-Lightweight-Included-Red/dp/B078MWF2XM/

I do have a tripod I could use but it's always had a wonky leg and is wobbly... I'm thinking of maybe grabbing this instead since it comes with a cellphone mount and it's small enough to fit in my bag (while also in its own bag).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've been doing research for a while now and I don't know if this exists but we'll see...

Does anyone know of a good, stable tripod that can hold a Pixel 4 XL in a case?

I've looked all night and the only ones I found either are cheaply made but cost $30+ (Joby) or are a noname brand and are unstable and fall over (mostly not Joby) or look cool...and don't actually hold a phone without breaking the tripod or the screen of the phone because it rests against a screw (????

Thanks.

The price will scare you the hell away but Padcaster has some good stuff. They're one of our clients and I've been hands on with some of it and it is solid industry grade equipment.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
So I've been on the pixel bandwagon since the first phone. I have an og pixel (which I'm using now) and a pixel 2 xl which recently took a swim and is shot. So I'm looking for a new phone, pixel 4 I have no interest in, pixel 3a seems good but should I wait for the 4a? Or are Motorola's g phones worth a poo poo?

At this point I'm past worrying about flagship phones and just want something close to stock android with good battery life. I'm really liking the look of the 4a but kind of worried my original pixel may not last another month.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GopherFlats posted:

So I've been on the pixel bandwagon since the first phone. I have an og pixel (which I'm using now) and a pixel 2 xl which recently took a swim and is shot. So I'm looking for a new phone, pixel 4 I have no interest in, pixel 3a seems good but should I wait for the 4a? Or are Motorola's g phones worth a poo poo?

At this point I'm past worrying about flagship phones and just want something close to stock android with good battery life. I'm really liking the look of the 4a but kind of worried my original pixel may not last another month.

I think it's three weeks away. Three weeks of waiting for an additional year of update support

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Rick posted:

Screen burn, yes, sorry. The battery thing is good to know though, maybe I'll just see if I can find something newer with the same <100 price point and NFC.

My MIL's P3XL, which is barely more than a year old, has terrible burn-in (burn out, really, considering how LEDs work). My original P3XL, which I got at launch and is now being used by my 13 year old (gently caress, when did I get old?!) and has zero.

The main difference is that I and my kid use screens like normal people, and my MIL uses hers at full brightness and has long timers for screen off, etc. My FIL's Pixel1 XL is the same way, and has been for a long time. Conversely, my launch Pixel 1 XL has zero burn in and is still being used.

So I typed all that to say, YMMV, but as long as you aren't trying to tan with your phone when you use it, you won't notice it for a long while down the road, if ever.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

cage-free egghead posted:

I used to use a few different Xiaomi phones on Cricket and while they would rarely get LTE, HSPA+ was fine for basic usage.

Whatever would work with AT&T is almost a sure bet to work on Cricket.

Haha yes I know sorry that was a rhetorical "🤔"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pixel 3
Android 10

I just made a donation with my phone that didn't ask for authentication. Normally it would prompt for a password or fingerprint but I'm thinking the last time I paid for something I fat-fingered the "don't ask again" checkbox.

How do I make it start asking again?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the salient point is what did you use to make the donation?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

I think the salient point is what did you use to make the donation?

Credit card

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

Credit card

I meant what app.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That OP8P green tint stuff only happens on low brightness right? People like me, that go with around 66% static brightness shouldn't ever notice it?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

I meant what app.

Oh whoops!

It was through the YouTube app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Only at minimum brightness, only on some grayscales, only on some units (mine did not do it), and they already released an update that addresses it that most say was successful.

I haven't said much about my OP8P over the past week but I love it, a lot. The display is so loving good (aside from the curved edges), it gives you more or less the same screen area as the S20 Ultra while feeling like a lot smaller phone, it's fast as hell, and the primary camera I'm starting to feel confident as saying it can stand up to the Pixel in nearly all conditions including dim light (though obviously I don't really have a ton of opportunities to take pictures right now.)

Yeah, it's more expensive than they used to be, but I would take this over an S20+ in every universe. The only nits I would pick right now is the curve (wish it was more like the S20 Ultra screen), and the wide angle and telephoto lenses really need light to work well.

I cannot overstate how much better the IMX686 sensor is than the IMX586 that the 7 Pro used (and what's in use as the wide angle camera on the 8 Pro). The increased pixel size combined with a lot more mature image processing that OnePlus is now doing makes a massive difference.

66% static brightness might burn out your eyeballs under most conditions with this display and you will be missing out on how bright it can get outdoors (up to 1300 nits when autobrightness detects sun.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 1, 2020

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

Oh whoops!

It was through the YouTube app.

Settings -> Billings and Payments -> untoggle "Enable Quick Purchases"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

Settings -> Billings and Payments -> untoggle "Enable Quick Purchases"

It never occurred to me that this would be a per-app thing :doh:. I just assumed everything went through Google Play.

Still though, that switch was actually off! What on earth...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, Google Play has a similar setting in that app if you want to check there too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bull3964 posted:

Well, Google Play has a similar setting in that app if you want to check there too.

Authentication required there too :iiam:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

66% static brightness might burn out your eyeballs under most conditions with this display and you will be missing out on how bright it can get outdoors (up to 1300 nits when autobrightness detects sun.)
The slider to 66% on my current S10 isn't really eye searing at all. Maybe a bit weak for outside in the sun, yea, but that's it.

--edit: Oh you mean 66% on the OP8P is bright as gently caress?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the OP8P is brighter than the S10, but not THAT much brighter. I guess you just wear sunglasses all the time :D.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a Google devices thread? I've got a question about my Home.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Buy a phone when you need a phone, if you need a phone right now buy a Pixel 3a or an iPhone SE.

If you own your phones a long time and don't need a phone right now, the extra year of support & OS updates is worth waiting for the 4a in my opinion. It looks like it'll be releasing May 22, and it was really easy to walk into a store and buy a Pixel 3a on day one, so I bet the same will be true for the 4a. https://www.techradar.com/news/google-pixel-4a-release-date-could-be-just-around-the-corner-according-to-new-leak

"Need" might be a little strong but I had the money and was tired of my slow-rear end Moto G5+ so here we are.

(Extra year of updates is nothing to sneeze at I know but I think I'll be okay.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Is there a Google devices thread? I've got a question about my Home.

The closest thing is probably the Home Automation thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh. So that's what a modern phone feels like.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Captain Yossarian posted:

It will be okay, but not great as band 14 is everywhere as it is first responders network, although they do have priority over at&t customers on congestion.
Basically, if you go to a lot of rural places band 14 will ensure you have coverage almost everywhere.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

ngl now I'm thinking about getting a OP8P even though I hardly need to upgrade from an S9.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Celexi posted:

It will be okay, but not great as band 14 is everywhere as it is first responders network, although they do have priority over at&t customers on congestion.
Basically, if you go to a lot of rural places band 14 will ensure you have coverage almost everywhere.

This is all more or less rhetorical, I have a 6t currently so I wouldn't go BACK in bands

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
For some random reason, I had to verify my WhatsApp phone number today. I didn't change my device or anything - never had to do this before. Is there a specific reason why?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Busy Bee posted:

For some random reason, I had to verify my WhatsApp phone number today. I didn't change my device or anything - never had to do this before. Is there a specific reason why?

I think the only time I've ever had that is moving my WhatsApp to a new phone. Sorry that's not very helpful. Been using multiple WhatsApp accounts on multiple phones for a decade and never seen that otherwise.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think the only time I've ever had that is moving my WhatsApp to a new phone. Sorry that's not very helpful. Been using multiple WhatsApp accounts on multiple phones for a decade and never seen that otherwise.

Same here, but maybe it has something to do with this security patch my phone wanted me to install but I doubt it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So after a few days of using the Pixel 3a XL, yeah, it's a great phone. Only downside so far is getting used to a back fingerprint scanner (and losing the Motorola flashlight chop gesture, that hurts, I'll admit).

Maybe I'll be kicking myself when the 4a is released in a few weeks and it's ten times as good but on the whole I'm pleased.

Will be more pleased after my case gets here though. This thing is a goddamn handheld slip n slide. (It's definitely not that I'm a clumsy fool.)

(It's that. It's exactly that.)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Sorry, I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but there's 1700 pages to go through - Aside from OtterBox, is there a brand that's well regarded for screen protectors? I've got a OnePlus 7T, and the official screen protector is 25 dollars, and all the other brands I see are like 6 dollars for a 3 pack, which feels... Suspiciously cheap. So what's the deal? Is the official one reasonably priced and the way to go, or are the cheap ones actually good quality and OnePlus is just ripping me off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

docbeard posted:

So after a few days of using the Pixel 3a XL, yeah, it's a great phone. Only downside so far is getting used to a back fingerprint scanner (and losing the Motorola flashlight chop gesture, that hurts, I'll admit).

There's probably an app out there that can replicate it ( also a thousand shady apps claiming to do it whilst asking for all the permissions)