Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

xtal posted:

"When would you have time" also rudely forces their hand because it assumes they have time and want to talk to you.

I have never heard of this phrase being interpreted that way. I've always taken it at face value: "let me know when is good for you so we can put something in the calendar"

As for meetings, the occasional meeting is an excellent break and a chance to get away from a problem that's doing your head in. But too many gets old very quickly 'cause you don't end up with a long enough stretch of time to really focus on any significantly large task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I have never heard of this phrase being interpreted that way. I've always taken it at face value: "let me know when is good for you so we can put something in the calendar"

Right, but what if the answer is "never because I don't want to video chat you?" Which nobody can reasonably say, hence their hand being forced.

edited to add that this is assuming meetings and video chats are the same thing

xtal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 1, 2020

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It's your job to talk to people. It's part of why you get paid huge money.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Cappy posted:

It's your job to talk to people. It's part of why you get paid huge money.

The job that's known for having an above-average amount of introverts and socially-anxious or -disordered people with no verbal communication skills? What?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I prefer people to write out their complicated question because it helps them solve their own problem before asking me. Then, if we can't figure it out that way we can try something else.

Rubber duck yourself.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

xtal posted:

Right, but what if the answer is "never because I don't want to video chat you?" Which nobody can reasonably say, hence their hand being forced.

edited to add that this is assuming meetings and video chats are the same thing

Communicating effectively with other people in the business is part of your job, in fact a crucial part of it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Communication skills are more important to programming than programming skills.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately it would create a paradox if any of you could use a web forum to convince me that video chat is necessary for communication

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Good communication skills are absolutely vital

At lunchtime :smug:

Otherwise don't @ me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

my coffee cup at the office says #1 BEST MOM. everyone laughs at the joke, but nobody asks me how my kids are doing, and if i am really, comma, the best mom.
i can't tell if this is malice or lack of introspection

Pretty worried that one of my nodes in my supercomputer has become sentient and signed up for an SA account, as it's the #1 BEST Machine Oriented Mini-server (MOM)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Some: Engineering is mostly about communicating effectively

Others:: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1255380013488189440

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 1, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

xtal posted:

Some: Engineering is mostly about communicating effectively

Others:: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1255380013488189440

I thought that was a parody account but no, it is in fact the original Deus Ex cover on Elon Musk's Twitter account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxvR_H00ERw

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The easy part of programming is programming, the hard part is people.

This is why in the robots revolution I have already on the robots side.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/1255562018699919361

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/i_am_renb0/status/1255641161965977602

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is the diffence between writting a system and expanding a system, I guess.

Java had this problem where to write a text you you can't just write to a text file. You need a FIle object, and a stream object, and a whatever object, and the stream write in the whatever, and these in the file.. (I am not Java dev, so I don't know the details). But the advantage of doing like this, instead of the C way, is somebody else can easily expand the stream object to support utf8 or whatever else, or instead of sending the stream to a file you could send it to a image drive or a remote storage. And OOP isolate you from making huge changes in your code to get for cheap these posibilities. The tax you pay is your initial code is a ugly mess of different objects with weird named Objects that feel unnecesary and a bit like something a big Corporation would create, almost like taxes and bureaucracy.

(something like this, in Microsoft javalike language called C#)
code:
using (var streamReader = new StreamReader(inputFilePath, Encoding.ASCII))
{
      using (var streamWriter = new StreamWriter(outputFilePath,false))
      {
           char[] bytes = new char[100];
           while (streamReader.Read(bytes, 0, 100) > 0)
           {
                 var data = new string(bytes);
                 streamWriter.WriteLine(data);
           }
           MessageBox.Show("Compleated");
       }
}

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's a good way of putting it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Tei posted:

Is the diffence between writting a system and expanding a system, I guess.

Java had this problem where to write a text you you can't just write to a text file. You need a FIle object, and a stream object, and a whatever object, and the stream write in the whatever, and these in the file.. (I am not Java dev, so I don't know the details). But the advantage of doing like this, instead of the C way, is somebody else can easily expand the stream object to support utf8 or whatever else, or instead of sending the stream to a file you could send it to a image drive or a remote storage. And OOP isolate you from making huge changes in your code to get for cheap these posibilities. The tax you pay is your initial code is a ugly mess of different objects with weird named Objects that feel unnecesary and a bit like something a big Corporation would create, almost like taxes and bureaucracy.

This is all fair but it's possible to have all that and still have little conveniences for the common case where you "just want to write this string to a file"... and that exists (in C#, don't know about Java)

At the risk of psychoanalyzing people over the internet, Blow saying "What's the upper bound before everything explodes and nothing works any more? I guess we'll find out" seems to reflect a conviction that people are doing things the wrong way, drat them, why isn't that obvious to them like it is to me and that those people will get their comeuppance... somehow. Not clear in what form that supposed comeuppance is meant to arrive. But anyway, it's a bit childish and solipsistic and doesn't reflect how the world really works

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Jon Blow saying stupid things? You don't say.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Somewhere along the way, almost everyone lost sight of the fact that all I, Jonathan Blow, wants to do is make 2D puzzle games. How complicated can that task be made? What's the upper bound before everything explodes and I can only make hot takes before being assed to actually understand it any more? I guess we found out.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Cmon gpu, just draw the fuckin owl already!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Xarn posted:

Jon Blow saying stupid things? You don't say.

The most amazing thing is how close he comes to saying something I would agree with without ever actually getting there.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Working with people is my favourite part of programming. No, I'm not joking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hammerite posted:

At the risk of psychoanalyzing people over the internet, Blow saying "What's the upper bound before everything explodes and nothing works any more? I guess we'll find out" seems to reflect a conviction that people are doing things the wrong way, drat them, why isn't that obvious to them like it is to me and that those people will get their comeuppance... somehow. Not clear in what form that supposed comeuppance is meant to arrive. But anyway, it's a bit childish and solipsistic and doesn't reflect how the world really works

Yeah, this is mr blow

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shut down Nvidia, cancel SIGGRAPH, throw away your shaders, Mr. Blow figured the whole loving thing out.

Edit:

LOL

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/1255575781582856192

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 1, 2020

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Shut down Nvidia, cancel SIGGRAPH, throw away your shaders, Mr. Blow figured the whole loving thing out.

UI programming is all just drawing rectangles within rectangles on computer screens screens. People get very particular about the content of their rectangles.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yes, I wonder why we aren't filling 4k framebuffers with commodore 64 era cpus and technology anymore. Truly, the mind boggles.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

xtal posted:

The job that's known for having an above-average amount of introverts and socially-anxious or -disordered people with no verbal communication skills? What?

yea a paucity of soft skills will let you run the table on the average smuggo "im here to ~*~code~*~" nerdlinger, hth

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I thought all we wanted to do is make colors appear, 32bit numbers are hardly related jon

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
JBlow seems to want to be a revered Euclid-like figure in gamedev, the only problem is that it's hard to make waves by restating first principles these days. Please everyone, can we just forget everything we know and go back to the dark ages so I can be the one to take the pivotal first steps?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hammerite posted:

This is all fair but it's possible to have all that and still have little conveniences for the common case where you "just want to write this string to a file"... and that exists (in C#, don't know about Java)

Of course it exists in java too. It’s called Files.writeString()

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Soricidus posted:

Of course it exists in java too. It’s called Files.writeString()

To be fair, writeString is only available since java 11 (released in 2018). Before that, since 1.7 there was only write(path, iterable<string>...). Not a big deal since one can trivially create a list/array of one string, but still.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Good thing this screed is from 2020 and not 2017

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It's easy to fill an array with numbers; the hard part is figuring out which numbers to fill it with.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

It's easy to fill an array with numbers; the hard part is figuring out which numbers to fill it with.

Well look at this fancy-pants 100x engineer

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

leper khan posted:

The most amazing thing is how close he comes to saying something I would agree with without ever actually getting there.

Same, because

VikingofRock posted:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

I just use 0. It's pretty efficient and you can use 0 in your code without people hassling you about magic numbers

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I just use 0. It's pretty efficient and you can use 0 in your code without people hassling you about magic numbers

Some machines even have a special register just for zero, so maybe it's even faster than filling with some other number

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It has top tier OS support too. Definitely a strong design pattern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Volguus posted:

To be fair, writeString is only available since java 11 (released in 2018). Before that, since 1.7 there was only write(path, iterable<string>...). Not a big deal since one can trivially create a list/array of one string, but still.

Yeah, legacy versions are worse, but there’s not much reason to not use the current LTS any more unless you’re stuck with a really janky legacy codebase, and if we managed to migrate to java 11 then anyone should be able to