Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

droll posted:

Where in California are you that is going to allow this (end Shelter in Place soon)?

"Essential businesses" are not covered by the Shelter in Place order so if they took voluntary measures to send people home or limit store hours then they can voluntarily rescind those and go back to normal on their own schedule. Non-essential businesses have to wait for the all clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyone else hearing talk about city governments having a hard time with funding? Apparently Palo Alto is talking about closing down one of their library branches. My library system relies on city funds for a lot of open hours so we're going to be getting reduced hours too.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone else hearing talk about city governments having a hard time with funding? Apparently Palo Alto is talking about closing down one of their library branches. My library system relies on city funds for a lot of open hours so we're going to be getting reduced hours too.

The City of Gilroy is mostly funded through sales taxes from the outlets. The school system is going to absolutely explode. Even before the quarantine, they were shutting down one of the elementary schools and turning it over to either a Christian private school or a charter. Next year is going to be horrifying.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else but just :lol: forever if Gavbot lays the smackdown on OC specifically for their collective idiocy

https://twitter.com/aimeefaucett/status/1255954477107916800

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Watching the OC Board of Supervisors & Don Barnes talk about how "OC is doing a great of adhering to social distancing measures" is insane. I seriously don't know how they can say it with a straight face on the same day we report our highest number of cases yet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
“Ocean’s closed” -Gavin Newsom

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
🎶 Nobody's going surfin'
No surfin' USA

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

🎶 Nobody's going surfin'
No surfin' in CA

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Infinite Karma posted:

FYI, all California beaches are legally public property due to the California Coastal Act of 1976. Private properties adjacent to the beach are required to allow easements to allow everyone access to beaches. Anyone who claims to have a private beach (lots of wealthy assholes and resorts do) is full of poo poo and openly flouting the law.
I'm not really sure since I ran across it reading something else and remembered this post, but that may not be the case due to the 1987 USSC decision Nollan v California Coastal Commission, which declared requiring easements in order to get a development permit without specific conditions and considerations is a takings. The Coastal Commission previously required easements for basically any development permits to be approved, however now I think the standard is if the part of the property you're developing was previously used as an easement (i.e. you've historically let people just use your property as an easement for probably decades without any notices) or was prescriptively declared as an easement previously then to develop that area you must then provide an equally sized easement elsewhere on the same property (though that's just from some googling).

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 1, 2020

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Bizarro Watt posted:

They have private beaches on the East Coast? Jesus.

The Wall Street DC scum-coast is scummy.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BeAuMaN posted:

I'm not really sure since I ran across it reading something else and remembered this post, but that may not be the case due to the 1987 USSC decision Nollan v California Coastal Commission, which declared requiring easements in order to get a development permit without specific conditions and considerations is a takings. The Coastal Commission previously required easements for basically any development permits to be approved, however now I think the standard is if the part of the property you're developing was previously used as an easement (i.e. you've historically let people just use your property as an easement for probably decades without any notices) or was prescriptively declared as an easement previously then to develop that area you must then provide an equally sized easement elsewhere on the same property (though that's just from some googling).
I read that as the legal argument that some evil fucks are making and not the actual law or precedent. The easements are takings a la eminent domain, sure, but where did this idea come from that they can't do the takings if people haven't historically trespassed there previously? That reeks of lawyers without a leg to stand on trying to privatize beaches.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Nollan is about a nexus between the exaction/condition of approval and the private party's development proposal.

Nollan wanted to tear down an old house and build a new one, and the Ventura County/Coastal Commission wanted an easement across his property parallel to the shoreline as a condition of approval. In California, the beach is public only up to the mean high tide line. The easement would have widened this somewhat so that some sand above the high tide line would be accessible to the public.

The house didn't actually create more of an impediment to beach access than was there before, so the judges found that there was no connection between the new house and public access.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
A few years ago a group of rich homeowners in my hometown tried to block off access to the beach they lived next to and the response from the state was a pretty solid "gently caress off" and that story always puts a smile on my face.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Infinite Karma posted:

I read that as the legal argument that some evil fucks are making and not the actual law or precedent. The easements are takings a la eminent domain, sure, but where did this idea come from that they can't do the takings if people haven't historically trespassed there previously? That reeks of lawyers without a leg to stand on trying to privatize beaches.

Did you say evil fucks?

Did you know that the term "evil gently caress who denies access to a public beach" translated into Hindi is pronounced "Vinod Khosla"?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

predicto posted:

Did you say evil fucks?

Did you know that the term "evil gently caress who denies access to a public beach" translated into Hindi is pronounced "Vinod Khosla"?

it's total dogshit that the judge undid the $10,000/day fine on appeal. also:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like Riverside will be lifting restrictions. What the gently caress.

https://www.sbsun.com/2020/04/30/proposal-aims-to-lift-riverside-county-coronavirus-health-order/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Looks like Riverside will be lifting restrictions. What the gently caress.

https://www.sbsun.com/2020/04/30/proposal-aims-to-lift-riverside-county-coronavirus-health-order/

I think they're just easing them back to match state orders. Riverside and San Bernardino county have mandatory face mask requirements punishable by fines while there is no actual state-wide face mask mandate, just strong recommendations.

Still sucks poo poo though.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Well I prefer the masks. When I go home to Riverside it looks like Mad Max with all the masks, I go to work in Anaheim and nobody gives a gently caress.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Infinite Karma posted:

I could be getting stuff wrong here, as I just did some cursory googling after reading on Nollan. Now, Nollan covered previously that the CCC can't just require easements as a condition of approving development permits for any reason, so that means that instead of creating easements on people's private property (via the previous scheme) the CCC instead protects existing easements. As such, you can't just put a pool and shed or whatever over an existing easement, as the state has a vested interest in the preserving the number of easements (and expanding where legally posesible), so to approve such a development (assuming they didn't outright deny it) the CCC would probably require that you create a separate and at least equally sized easement if you were bulldozing a current one on your property; probably subjective requirements on the quality of the easement as well. The original existence of such easements might be either prescriptively defined by some legal document describing it as an easement, or it might just be a de facto easement because people have been trespassing on it for years and the landowner didn't post any notices or file anything with the county recorder, and as such the CCC might consider that land an easement if the public has been using it without issue for however many years.

Separate from all this the State can just eminent domain stuff with just compensation, but I imagine it tends to be especially costly when it comes to expensive coastal real estate with rich owners who probably hire really competent lawyers.

That's what I was getting at more or less. Not a lawyer and this is outside the usual code that I read. The main thrust though is that if an easement doesn't already exist then properties next to the beach most likely don't have to provide an easement, and such properties if owned by a rich/powerful entity are probably viciously protected against it becoming a new easement.

There's also an Offer to Dedicate (OTD) program which seems to be there to permanently transfer title of the easement to a public (or qualifying non-profit) entity to preserve the easement in perpetuity (probably related to CA GOV 7050), which probably happens via an agreement over a development permit or because a landowner finds out when they attempt to develop an area of their property that it's legally considered a historical easement and they want to limit their liability.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 1, 2020

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The Kholsla debacle is a great example of why land use poo poo should always be handled at the state level, because if that kind of thing was litigated locally he absolutely would have been able to big time his way into making sure no one had access. I wish we had some kind of coastal act preventing restrictive zoning for housing.

It’s also a great example of why no one should have that much money. He doesn’t even like the property or the beach, says he supports the coastal act (he may be full of poo poo, but still), and wishes he never bought the place. The entire thing is one stubborn old rear end in a top hat’s fit of pique, over something he doesn’t even like or enjoy. Tax away his money for his own good.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Still Dismal posted:

He doesn’t even like the property or the beach, says he supports the coastal act (he may be full of poo poo, but still), and wishes he never bought the place. The entire thing is one stubborn old rear end in a top hat’s fit of pique, over something he doesn’t even like or enjoy. Tax away his money for his own good.

yeah for real

quote:

The “beach issue,” as it is called internally at Khosla Ventures, has surprisingly not been a problem in the office. “It’s an incredible negotiating tool for me,” said Samir Kaul, another partner at Khosla Ventures.

When a company was trying to “screw” the firm, Mr. Kaul brought up news articles about the beach at a meeting. “I said: ‘My boss is going to the Supreme Court for a beach he’s never gone to. We’re not posturing here. This guy’s not going to settle,’” Mr. Kaul said. “And then I just sat there.”

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Crank that yodeling guy right off the cliff, imo

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm always seeing these stickers on people's trucks, the ones with the roman numeral III inside a circle of stars. I've been telling myself they aren't three percenter stickers, but then that NFL player got in trouble for having the exact same symbol as a tattoo.

So I guess what I'm saying is that being the best of the two coasts is like being the best of the two American political parties.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Tomorrow after living here since I was six years old I will be moving out of this state to go live in sin in washington. I love California and I absolutely despise California and I will miss it and be happy to see the back of it in equal measure. It has been a pleasure posting with you all, at least I'll still be on your side of the border when the western states pact declares independence after the chud states push through a constitutional convention or w/e the gently caress

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Good luck in Washington!

That Roman numeral 3 and stars is a three percenter sticker. Some guy flys that flag here in ol' Seal Beach. Nice apartment next door but I ain't renting poo poo next to that guy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

absolutely. we do a lot of work with SFO/Port of SF/SFDPW/EBMUD and lots of our upcoming work on various as-needed contracts is getting shelved and we're starting a big mult-million project that may or may not get funded through the end of the year, which sucks. i don't expect funding to bounce back anytime soon.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

Tomorrow after living here since I was six years old I will be moving out of this state to go live in sin in washington. I love California and I absolutely despise California and I will miss it and be happy to see the back of it in equal measure. It has been a pleasure posting with you all, at least I'll still be on your side of the border when the western states pact declares independence after the chud states push through a constitutional convention or w/e the gently caress

Turn back! TUUUUUUURN BAAAAAACK!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What are Washington and Oregon like? I only visited Oregon once, and never been to Washington. I'd always assumed they were a lot like California, but whiter, and wetter (at least on the Western side).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

Turn back! TUUUUUUURN BAAAAAACK!

Nope it's where basically all my close friends live and im moving in with multiple cool and cute girls among those friends, as opposed to here where everyone I knew growing up moved away years ago

DrSunshine posted:

What are Washington and Oregon like? I only visited Oregon once, and never been to Washington. I'd always assumed they were a lot like California, but whiter, and wetter (at least on the Western side).

It's just a totally different climate. I'm not even sure how to describe it. At least, compared to the Sacramento area, where I'm from.

It's small, for one thing, in that you never have the big, sweeping vistas where you can see nothing in the distance for miles and miles like in the valley, or the absolutely unbroken trackless nightmare forests of the north. It's not even just that it's more rainy than that there's a lot more weather in general, they get snow up there (which will be completely foreign to me, I've actually never been in snow) and have less of a summer: yes/no.

Also it never gets absolutely miserable poo poo gently caress hot and so sunny that looking anywhere outside without sunglasses makes your eyes want to die.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Dark, insular, small

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

atelier morgan posted:

Nope it's where basically all my close friends live and im moving in with multiple cool and cute girls among those friends, as opposed to here where everyone I knew growing up moved away years ago

It's just a totally different climate. I'm not even sure how to describe it. At least, compared to the Sacramento area, where I'm from.

It's small, for one thing, in that you never have the big, sweeping vistas where you can see nothing in the distance for miles and miles like in the valley, or the absolutely unbroken trackless nightmare forests of the north. It's not even just that it's more rainy than that there's a lot more weather in general, they get snow up there (which will be completely foreign to me, I've actually never been in snow) and have less of a summer: yes/no.

Also it never gets absolutely miserable poo poo gently caress hot and so sunny that looking anywhere outside without sunglasses makes your eyes want to die.

now, you're going to be our representative up there in the mysterious north so please don't embarrass us, your family.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
WA & OR have a similar social/political dynamic as here, where the state overall is pretty progressive, but once you head outside of the big cities you start to run into plenty of chuds. They tend to be better armed and more organized up there though, we have less of a militia subculture among our right wingers here, thank god. Still present, but not as bad.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Edit:Actually, nm I'm thinking of somewhere else

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

atelier morgan posted:

Don't you dare start cheering for the Seahawks.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Still Dismal posted:

WA & OR have a similar social/political dynamic as here, where the state overall is pretty progressive, but once you head outside of the big cities you start to run into plenty of chuds. They tend to be better armed and more organized up there though, we have less of a militia subculture among our right wingers here, thank god. Still present, but not as bad.

The Seattle area is a mix of libertarian business ethics (Amazon rules downtown Seattle) and The Wokest Social Outlooks skipping hand in hand down the toll bridges.

The cops have a real bad rep, but thats because no one local has ever encountered an average cop from SoCal.

Rent and sales tax are high, but coming from CA you wont even notice! Alcohol is really expensive because stacking taxes on the poor makes up for not taxing Amazon.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

atelier morgan posted:

I made a similar move to Texas almost a decade ago. My mentality is similar in that there is a lot I love (and miss) about California and a lot I hate about it. However, I get enough anti-California sentiment from Texans so I mostly like to point out the ways that California is better, because few are interested in having nuanced conversations about the pros and cons of either state.

That said, two weeks ago I filled an online form to change the address on my Texas driver license and I got a new (REAL ID-approved) one a few days ago, so that was pretty nice.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I've lived in Seattle for a very long time and moved back here to my hometown for tech. Despite Seattle having a decent Asian population, I would still get looks from white people when walking into places on the rare occasion.

King county is actually pretty progressive but when you get out of Seattle/Bellevue area it's full of chuds, like Still Dismal said. The PNW thread here and the Seattle thread in LAN can fill you in on politicians like Tim Eyman--when you get your voter ballot you'll probably see that guy's name. There's also (at least used to be) an opioid epidemic, so some public bathroom stalls have very short walls so homeless can't just go in and shoot up.

Seattle is a small town that pretends it's a big city, and is even worse now that Amazon has transformed the entire downtown/SLU area. The people in the PNW in general are pretty introverted and passive aggressive despite being very nice to your face--there's actually a name for it: "the Seattle freeze". The weather is miserable about 6 months out of the year, but summer is super beautiful with long sunny days. The outdoors there are amazing and if you're tired of the local outdoors you can drive up to Vancouver/Whistler. The local brew scene is great and you can even pick up raw apple juice to turn into cider yourself.

There's a big nerd culture there and some people pride themselves on being weird, but I don't know how much of that is dead now thanks to Amazon/Google/FB.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I've lived in Seattle for a very long time and moved back here to my hometown for tech. Despite Seattle having a decent Asian population, I would still get looks from white people when walking into places on the rare occasion.

King county is actually pretty progressive but when you get out of Seattle/Bellevue area it's full of chuds, like Still Dismal said. The PNW thread here and the Seattle thread in LAN can fill you in on politicians like Tim Eyman--when you get your voter ballot you'll probably see that guy's name. There's also (at least used to be) an opioid epidemic, so some public bathroom stalls have very short walls so homeless can't just go in and shoot up.

Seattle is a small town that pretends it's a big city, and is even worse now that Amazon has transformed the entire downtown/SLU area. The people in the PNW in general are pretty introverted and passive aggressive despite being very nice to your face--there's actually a name for it: "the Seattle freeze". The weather is miserable about 6 months out of the year, but summer is super beautiful with long sunny days. The outdoors there are amazing and if you're tired of the local outdoors you can drive up to Vancouver/Whistler. The local brew scene is great and you can even pick up raw apple juice to turn into cider yourself.

There's a big nerd culture there and some people pride themselves on being weird, but I don't know how much of that is dead now thanks to Amazon/Google/FB.

What's the taco truck scene like? How are the beaches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rainbow Knight posted:

What's the taco truck scene like? How are the beaches?

Oh my god this is it, this is the most :ca: post.