Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

post the memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Bisse posted:

tl;dr the entire team ghosted the project leaving only delusional PR guy left to run it. a few months later about half the team emerged to proclaim the game dead and blow the lid on the shitshow that was the making of it. this all prompted an actual demo release wow... which sucked. the game is now dead and everyone is doing other things and noone is ever touching this again because the game is really bad.

the team discord today consists of utter silence punctuated occasionally by bball memes

ah ok that's a shame, to be honest I felt from day one that doing a whole isometric shooter was a bad idea and that the games real talent was the writing and story, so they probably shouldve stuck to a simpler RPG system.

drat, I hope the team finds some happiness and a new project to do, they're good at comedic writing so I hope they pull back.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

sharrrk posted:

post the memes

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

That's me. I'm the idiot posting the memes.

Bisse posted:

Also FutureDays how did you find the scripts, were they part of the demo assets?

As a true doom murderhead, I mastered the ancient art of unpacking the game assets with freeware software found after 10 seconds of googling!

Also somehow I was sent a dev build, which means I could see the actually fun parts in all their glory.

https://i.imgur.com/KmYwLFv.mp4

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That's dope.

:(

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

lmao

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Future Days posted:

As a true doom murderhead, I mastered the ancient art of unpacking the game assets with freeware software found after 10 seconds of googling!

Also somehow I was sent a dev build, which means I could see the actually fun parts in all their glory.

Is the dev build online anywhere? I assume with everything collapsing it's probably been leaked

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

my kickstarter dollars have been well wroth it

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

overmind2000 posted:

Is the dev build online anywhere? I assume with everything collapsing it's probably been leaked

Not that I'm aware of. I wouldn't do it, either, out of respect for our fallen and crestfallen toglords and because who knows what kind of n.i.n.j.a. trickery they could play on me if I do it...

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

overmind2000 posted:

One of the backers should threaten the ideas guy that demands complete control and ownership of the property with a lawsuit since the terms of the kickstarter TOS weren't met. The news that the game was dead is what caused him to melt down last time and try to pretend the game was still being made and caused the release of the content we did get.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The promise has been MADE

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That art though

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bisse posted:

Anyway random thought, replayed Majoras Mask recently and was struck by how much better it works. B2 would work a lot better if it was a short timeloop.

Have three in-game hours at ca 60 rl mins and just loop them forever. Time ends whren Cuchu flings the spaceship into the hell portal. When time runs out or you die you keep equipment and knowledge but everything resets.
Have Tir Na Nog be the only city, focuses the game more and makes it a lot shorter and a lot more likely to ever be done. Also forces shortening dungeons which has the same benefits.
Rename Tir Na Nog to Brain City because it's a much more interesting city concept. Just use the same tileset and maps with a few changed or added details.
Don't do villagers or events with intricate time schedules.
Keep quests like the waiting in line quest because its extra hilarious with the short time constraint.
Explain the time loop with Barkley Magic, daddy Bark is looking out for his boy.
There is no ocarina, instead the way to reset time is to die. This also helps combat a bit because what happens if you run out of bullets now is that you're dead, go try again.

Actually MM is a very well designed game.

I played that game Minit when it came out and thought it completely dropped the ball with the mechanic and had been hoping someone would do that MM loop thing well. The problem with Minit it is spreads everything out so your goal is to just find the next bed as a checkpoint. In my opinion the right way to do it is have a specific location densely packed with poo poo. If I wasn't so lazy I'd try tackling it myself but alas.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 1, 2020

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I played that game Minit when it came out and thought it completely dropped the ball with the mechanic and had been hoping someone would do that MM loop thing well. The problem with Minit it is spreads everything out so your goal is to just find the next bed as a checkpoint. In my opinion the right way to do it is have a specific location densely packed with poo poo. If I wasn't so lazy I'd try tackling it myself but alas.

why would you go into minit expecting it to be like majora's mask

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I read a recent interview with Jay Tholen, the creator of Hypnospace Outlaw, and it gave me flashbacks to Barkley 2's development. Specifically, he mentions that the game started as a driving game where you were a cyber cop car chasing perps on the information superhighway and the fake internet was just going to be flavor between levels and about the cybercriminals you were chasing, but as soon as it he started posting stuff about it the fake internet got way more attention than the driving part and eventually it just became a game entirely about the fake internet with the driving part being a small minigame you unlock.

It makes me think back to the days of DwarfNET when everyone was loving what they were showing of it and how so much time and effort was spent making unique icons and writing text, and how of the game had similarly undergone some soul-searching at that early stage and realized that that was way better and more achievable than a sprawling action RPG with a huge wacky weapon randomization mechanic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

romanowski posted:

why would you go into minit expecting it to be like majora's mask

I would expect it to use the mechanic better than it did. Obviously any given objective in the game couldn't have the length or depth of an MM quest.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 2, 2020

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

ah ok that's a shame, to be honest I felt from day one that doing a whole isometric shooter was a bad idea and that the games real talent was the writing and story, so they probably shouldve stuck to a simpler RPG system.

drat, I hope the team finds some happiness and a new project to do, they're good at comedic writing so I hope they pull back.

gz and laz are still making funny games like this https://store.steampowered.com/curator/35373798 they hit the barkley sweet spot for me.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Bisse posted:

tl;dr the entire team ghosted the project leaving only delusional management/PR guy left to run it. a few months later about half the team emerged to proclaim the game dead and blow the lid on the shitshow that was the making of it. the short of it is inexperienced team with way too high ambitions and ironically way too little funding, topped by a really incompetent management/pr guy who eventually drove most team members away one by one.

this all prompted an actual demo release wow... which sucked loving poo poo, with a few gold nuggets if you dug through the poo poo. the game is now dead and everyone is doing other things and noone is ever touching this again because the game is really bad.

the team discord today consists of utter silence punctuated occasionally by bball memes

Why don't you just jam with the rest, pal?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

EA Sports posted:

gz and laz are still making funny games like this https://store.steampowered.com/curator/35373798 they hit the barkley sweet spot for me.

Yeah, the Phucker in the Woods trilogy is hilarious in all the ways their 2000s era shitposting was.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Future Days posted:

This game could've been so good :sigh:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Just retool all the dwarfnet stuff into the basis for Barkley 3: A Vidcon Novella and use the framing device of a savage flame war about how bad Barkley 2 sucked as the inciting incident for the game's metanarrative. Drop in occasional playable vertical slices of B2 as progression incentives and have them get increasingly bizarre and incoherent the further you get through the branching paths forums posting portion of the game. I'm thinking kind of a Goonies 2 setup but worse. You have a chance to poo poo out The Dhalgren of Game's here, please seize it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

One of the backers should threaten the ideas guy that demands complete control and ownership of the property with a lawsuit since the terms of the kickstarter TOS weren't met. The news that the game was dead is what caused him to melt down last time and try to pretend the game was still being made and caused the release of the content we did get.

It says a lot about his attitude that even for that release he felt the need to gate content.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Pretty good posted:

Just retool all the dwarfnet stuff into the basis for Barkley 3: A Vidcon Novella and use the framing device of a savage flame war about how bad Barkley 2 sucked as the inciting incident for the game's metanarrative. Drop in occasional playable vertical slices of B2 as progression incentives and have them get increasingly bizarre and incoherent the further you get through the branching paths forums posting portion of the game. I'm thinking kind of a Goonies 2 setup but worse. You have a chance to poo poo out The Dhalgren of Game's here, please seize it

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Pretty good posted:

Barkley 3 was released already and as a low-effort shitpost based on this thread, it's way better than B2 could ever be. RE: vidcon's about posting, Hypnospace Outlaw is on sale. Go check it out if you wanna pretend you're browsing and posting.

As for Dwarfnet, from what I could gather it's REALLY bare. While the writing is 5/5, there are sadly not that many posts in it at all! Still, one of my favorite stupid dnet gags happens at the very end of the game (when there are 20 "minutes" left on the doomsday clock). Necron 7 is just about to enter the gates of HECK.

But before the last big fight there would probably be a utility station. No new posts are made, because the world is about to end, except for a dutiful dnet mod doing the job he probably paid to do:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did they put my pozzo jello crusade let's play on the dwarfnet

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the artstyle really is good frankie you did great

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Frankie's horror RPG is going to be absolutely amazing. I am really glad I managed to grab onto his coattails to work on that, it's been a crazy ride so far.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Speaking of Frankieverse vidcons, GZ and Lazrool's next vidcon has a Steam page.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

Frankie's horror RPG is going to be absolutely amazing. I am really glad I managed to grab onto his coattails to work on that, it's been a crazy ride so far.

link plz

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

here's his twitch, he livestreams work on it

https://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow/

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

quote:

They call me... "the Dark Draker".

Why? Let's just say... my swoop attacks have the force of a drake's snapping maw. Other names they call me? Heh. Too many to count, but i vlog about repro katanas under the nom de guerre "Bloodfang X"

Weapon of choice? Duel-weilded wakizashis
Age? Unknown
Race? Classified
Special move? Zeitgeist of Swords - last thing you'll ever see

If I see you out there in the Necron 7 wilds, I won't hesitate to cut you down if I even SUSPECT you endanger my person or ideals.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Guys, it's going to be the implosion anniversary in like a few weeks. How are you going to celebrate?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gortarius posted:

Guys, it's going to be the implosion anniversary in like a few weeks. How are you going to celebrate?

By launching a kickstarter for Barkley 2: Director's Cut.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Gortarius posted:

will probably just bump this thread again

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I will celebrate by Believing

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

If you used to believe, you better did

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm looking forward to looking forward to this game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I want to b-ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The promise.

Has.

Been made.