Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gimrigz posted:

I use this supplied by work: https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/Thunderbolt-Dock-Gen-2-US/p/40AN0135US

So MBA is plugged in via thunderbolt to the dock, the screen is plugged via thunderbolt to the dock as well. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it should be fine?

https://www.benq.com/en-ca/monitor/gaming/ex3501r.html

That's the monitor. Wondering if you may be onto something, monitor does state usb-c.

Are you absolutely sure that the dock is Thunderbolt?
Are you using a Thunderbolt cable with it? (although I'd presume that would not work at all.)
The Lenobo non-TB DisplayLink version of that dock looks exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m now a bit worried that the anker 5 in 1 I bought that someone upthread recommended will be rear end for driving a monitor. I should’ve bought the one with power pass thru anyway but will definitely need to now if I need to get a TB to HDMI converter too. Only a 1080p screen at least.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My 16" let itself go under load without ever turning the fans on, making it just a little toasty. I rebooted and the fans still didn't spin up. I downloaded Macs Fan Control and the fans started working again, then seemed to work as expected once I closed the program.

Is this a known issue? I didn't see much when searching.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thunderbolt docks are a monumental pain regardless of manufacturer. I've got one of the LG 5K ultrawide monitors that uses Thunderbolt and they didn't include a Thunderbolt out so you're quite limited in what you can hook into the thing.

At work we're primarily a Dell/Apple shop and we've found the Thunderbolt version of Dell's 2019 dock (WD19tb) works pretty well with both Macs and Windows PCs with one caveat. Dell have done something stupid and however they've wired all the video inputs on the back of the dock (possibly using MST?) it doesn't have enough bandwidth to properly do two screens, Ethernet, USB and power delivery over the single Thunderbolt channel.

Despite that design problem they've thankfully included a second full Thunderbolt channel in it for daisy chaining so you can just plug one screen into that via USB-C and the other into one of the other ports. If you don't Macs don't detect more than one display and Windows PCs can't do two 4K+ on one channel like they should be able to.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Are you using a Thunderbolt cable with it? (although I'd presume that would not work at all.)

Yeah, it's a thunderbolt dock for sure. Looks like the problem was the connection between monitor and the dock itself.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Did Anker quit making older MacBook batteries?
Dunno but the only brand I trust for replacement batteries is NewerTech NuPower, it's an OWC brand and they're better than OEM in my experience.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Dunno but the only brand I trust for replacement batteries is NewerTech NuPower, it's an OWC brand and they're better than OEM in my experience.

Just trying to decide if $80 is worth it on a 10 year old lappy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

just ask yourself: would you watch someone do this on youtube yes, duh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Arivia posted:

just ask yourself: would you watch someone do this on youtube yes, duh

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

Is it worth spending a couple bucks more for piece of mind that your sketchy new battery won't corrode your 10 year old laptop or set it on fire?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NuPower purchased. Between this, a $24 PNY SSD, and the 4GB RAM chip I found in a box I'm already another $100 into this dumb project.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm spending way too much building out the ultimate Core 2 laptop because Core 2 owns.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

American McGay posted:

"Refurbished by Apple but no Apple warranty" is wild. Never seen that before. Who knows what these are or where they came from, but I'd stay away.

Late reply , but word of warning. If there's any repair extension programs for these machines, these won't qualify. It basically means apple has dis-owned these machines for whatever weird reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm spending way too much building out the ultimate Core 2 laptop because Core 2 owns.

Austin Evans said he was doing that but only upgraded to 8GB :(

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

I don’t know who that is. Youtuber?

Mine is Core 2 Extreme Quad mobile, 16GB, WUXGA LED, ATI FirePro M7740 (RV740, DX10).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I don’t know who that is. Youtuber?

Mine is Core 2 Extreme Quad mobile, 16GB, WUXGA LED, ATI FirePro M7740 (RV740, DX10).

Yea.

https://www.austin-evans.tech/building-the-ultimate-200-macbook/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Oh I know this guys face. I have a 2009 MBP17 with the top end T9900 CPU but its kinda meh in Catalina. Max mem is only 8GB on it as well. If they had a Core2 quad in a MBP I would be all over that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

“HAY GUUUYS, ITS AUSTAAN”

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That Austin guy has a lot of subs but I'm not sure what his niche is among all the other tech youtubers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

~Coxy posted:

I thiiiink the lovely DisplayLink one is a little shorter. The full fledged TB3 one is great, works with Macs like a champ.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

That Austin guy has a lot of subs but I'm not sure what his niche is among all the other tech youtubers.

He was pro-Apple at a time when Linus still wasn’t touching Apple products at all except to poo poo on the principle of them or somehow use them to show that Razer products were superior.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I used to poo poo on Apple back in 2000 and now I'm daily driving them so it worked.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Speaking of bad YouTubers that don't do their research, I'm done with that Max Tech guy.

Dude doesn't know that the Air is constrained by its wattage limit (10w sustained) and not its thermal design.
Compares it to the XPS 13 and says, "Oh yeah, this does so much better because better cooling," :downswords:

No, you're comparing a 10 watt chip to a 15 watt chip. Performance is pretty directly correlated with the energy you can supply to it after the turbo winds down to the wattage limit.

"They both say 'i5' so they must be the same!"

:ughh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 1, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Speaking of bad YouTubers that don't do their research, I'm done with that Max Tech guy.

Dude doesn't know that the Air is constrained by its wattage limit (10w sustained) and not its thermal design.
Compares it to the XPS 13 and says, "Oh yeah, this does so much better because better cooling," :downswords:

No, you're comparing a 10 watt chip to a 15 watt chip. Performance is pretty directly correlated with the energy you can supply to it after the turbo winds down to the wattage limit.

"They both say 'i5' so they must be the same!"

:ughh:

I still want the thread title I suggested. The current one is super stale and not funny

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is the Air significantly thinner/lighter than the XPS 13? I have no interest in either. I do feel like Apple likes to use constraints that no one asked for tho.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the Air significantly thinner/lighter than the XPS 13? I have no interest in either. I do feel like Apple likes to use constraints that no one asked for tho.

no the xps 13 is slightly smaller and lighter than the air

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh I know this guys face. I have a 2009 MBP17 with the top end T9900 CPU but its kinda meh in Catalina. Max mem is only 8GB on it as well. If they had a Core2 quad in a MBP I would be all over that.

I can imagine that Catalina won't run great but wonder if these are any good for Linux. I have a 17" with a T7700 somewhere, but I'm not sure if it is fast enough for current Linux distributions. Most cheap chromebooks would probably be faster at this point. That matte 17" screen though... :allears:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eames posted:

I can imagine that Catalina won't run great but wonder if these are any good for Linux. I have a 17" with a T7700 somewhere, but I'm not sure if it is fast enough for current Linux distributions. Most cheap chromebooks would probably be faster at this point. That matte 17" screen though... :allears:

Depends on the distro/config but any C2D is plenty. I’m able to get 1080p playback on a single core pentium-M in a modern Linux distro. Can’t do that in MacOS or Windows10.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Little 2020 MBA Trip Report: the thing obviously starts very quickly heating up when under literally any pressure, but seems to cope quite well with being hot and doesn't need to blare the fans even when working at like 90°C. The use case I had going was, AirPlaying a 1080p twitch stream and its chat (in separate windows in one fullscreen view), unmirrored, to my (4K) TV using an ATV, while also having Discord and a couple websites open in the usual spaces. Little i7 was pulling around 8W from the battery for hours and running constantly at around 85°C. Silence from the fans the whole time. At one point I did crack open Music and it decided to do a check of all my album artwork and according to Power Gadget this briefly caused a power draw of about 250W. Sure that's fine.

Anyway after a week and a bit of daily driving plus a handful of this kind of test I'm quite happy with how this thing is holding up.

One thing I wasn't prepared for, having skipped the entire Butterfly Years, is how good the force touch trackpad is. I'd heard the rumours, but god drat. This thing really is magic. Fuckin' science, man.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Fedule posted:

One thing I wasn't prepared for, having skipped the entire Butterfly Years, is how good the force touch trackpad is. I'd heard the rumours, but god drat. This thing really is magic. Fuckin' science, man.

Maybe it's mostly because I've used a late 2013 Macbook Pro for 6 years, but I dunno. I feel like the newer Force Touch trackpads are just too large. I like the new and improved clickiness, but man, the proportions of the trackpad to the keyboard on older retina Macbooks just feels perfect to me. But I'm sure if I get a 2020 MBA, which I'm heavily considering because of the rave reviews and how often I work from home now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hypothetically speaking, if an older 2013 MBP thermal compound was going bad and I replaced it with new 'enthusiast' paste, how could I measure the difference? Idle temp delta? Load temp delta (but what if both before and after hit tjmax)?

I was thinking a deterministic multi threaded CPU task would theoretically finish faster if the CPU could stay cooler for longer but what tools can do this? I think the prime95 stress tests runs for way too long and I'm not sure if it runs the same stress test every time?

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if an older 2013 MBP thermal compound was going bad and I replaced it with new 'enthusiast' paste, how could I measure the difference? Idle temp delta? Load temp delta (but what if both before and after hit tjmax)?

CPU frequency in Intel Power Gadget. As you mentioned they’ll both hit 100 Celsius under a sustained full load, but the one with the better TIM will turbo boost much higher while the one with the old TIM might not even be able to hold base clock.

I would be hesitant to run Prime95 on a mobile Mac, a simple video encoding task should be enough.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh right duh I already thought about running a ffmpeg encode of something quick but long enough that I can measure the difference in encode time. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Picked up my 2nd pandemic craigslist find. 2014 MBP 15" base config. All of the 2014 15" models had 16GB right? $400. For a friend who busted their similar vintage 13" retina. Was cheaper than a replacement screen and my labor during a lockdown. No delimitation or screen defects. Missing 1 foot and one minor dent on the bottom case. These things really holding their value on the secondary market.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Picked up my 2nd pandemic craigslist find. 2014 MBP 15" base config. All of the 2014 15" models had 16GB right? $400. For a friend who busted their similar vintage 13" retina. Was cheaper than a replacement screen and my labor during a lockdown. No delimitation or screen defects. Missing 1 foot and one minor dent on the bottom case. These things really holding their value on the secondary market.

16GB of RAM in a 2014 model is definitely high end. They started at 8 I believe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mactracker says 16GB standard. I’m surprised too given the age.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Rumor has it that the new 13/14" is coming out today.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
It’s not 14”

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mactracker says 16GB standard. I’m surprised too given the age.

Oh oops, I was looking at the 13" . Interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Brain Issues posted:

Rumor has it that the new 13/14" is coming out today.

It’s out: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-13/