Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Finally got myself a house with a big yard, with intentions on being here a while, and I'm trying to decide what route to go smoker and grill wise. I intend on smoking Ribs/Pork/Brisket, probably not until 2021 thanks to world events, that said I've got plenty of time to save up for what I'd like, and I starting from a blank canvas. I'm in Texas if location is important.

What are the operational cost differences between charcoal/wood/electric? (Assuming that I'm buying wood, rather then growing my own)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Smoked a pork butt yesterday, took about 11 hours on the smoker and then another hour of rest. Turned out pretty good but still definite room for improvement.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

atothesquiz posted:

I know it's a month old post but you got a recipe? I have a bunch of left over pulled pork and I'm looking to do something different with it.

Which part?

Carnitas style is just throw it under the broiler till it gets the desired amount of crispy bits.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You don't even add any orange juice or anything? I find that using a broiler makes them really dry compared to frying.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I mean they were tossed in a bit of sauce once I shredded it, hence the orangish tint, but outside that nothing else was added before broiling/crisping.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Barbarism

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

toplitzin posted:

I mean they were tossed in a bit of sauce once I shredded it, hence the orangish tint, but outside that nothing else was added before broiling/crisping.

toplitzin posted:

Which part?

Carnitas style is just throw it under the broiler till it gets the desired amount of crispy bits.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You don't even add any orange juice or anything? I find that using a broiler makes them really dry compared to frying.

Pretty much this. You dont add any citrus or anything else to it before broiling it? What kind of sauce did you add the pork after it was shredded?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made some bbq sauce with the drippings and applied until moistened but not wet.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

blugu64 posted:

Finally got myself a house with a big yard, with intentions on being here a while, and I'm trying to decide what route to go smoker and grill wise. I intend on smoking Ribs/Pork/Brisket, probably not until 2021 thanks to world events, that said I've got plenty of time to save up for what I'd like, and I starting from a blank canvas. I'm in Texas if location is important.

What are the operational cost differences between charcoal/wood/electric? (Assuming that I'm buying wood, rather then growing my own)

I’m a huge fan of an all charcoal operation. It’s not that expensive.

Most common recommendation would be for a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Great, super easy to use and learn, and is built like a tank. I’d definitely also recommend Weber grills as well if you need.... they have charcoal grills across a range of budgets. Their gas grills are great too but pricey.

If you have it the money, I wish I’d gone to a kamado grill earlier. It smokes, it grills, but it’s pricey. Combine the prices of any smoker and grill and you’re spending a lot of money anyway.

Why no smoking until 2021? You’re in the epicenter of cheap food. Get to HEB and buy you some brisket.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

I’m a huge fan of an all charcoal operation. It’s not that expensive.

Most common recommendation would be for a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Great, super easy to use and learn, and is built like a tank. I’d definitely also recommend Weber grills as well if you need.... they have charcoal grills across a range of budgets. Their gas grills are great too but pricey.

If you have it the money, I wish I’d gone to a kamado grill earlier. It smokes, it grills, but it’s pricey. Combine the prices of any smoker and grill and you’re spending a lot of money anyway.

Why no smoking until 2021? You’re in the epicenter of cheap food. Get to HEB and buy you some brisket.

The WSM is great. Earlier this year I got a Weber Summit Charcoal, which is basically a Weber kettle meets kamado. It’s loving awesome. Smoke at 225 or grill at 600 (or as tonight 400 for flank steak). Incredibly easy workflow.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Going to check out a used PBC tomorrow, guy is looking for $175 for the barrel and is including several accessories I’d buy anyway, like the hinged grate, cover, and poultry hangers. Hoping not to find any rust, because I would really like a reliable smoker for the summer quarantine.

Does anyone have experience grilling on one of these? The airflow is a lot different from my previous offset smoker/grill so I’m not sure how hot I can expect to grill.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

atothesquiz posted:

Pretty much this. You dont add any citrus or anything else to it before broiling it? What kind of sauce did you add the pork after it was shredded?

If I'm making carnitas I do it with pork cooked in oil packed with oranges, garlic, onion, and cinnamon, but even if you're starting with normal smoked pulled pork drizzling some fat of some kind on it before broiling to crisp it up is essential to keep it from drying out. Whether that's rendered pork fat or just oil depends what you have on hand. I like a creamy tangy jalapeno (cilantro, jalapeno, serrano, mayo, sour cream, white vinegar, lime juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a blender) sauce with carnitas but almost anything works well with them imo.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

If I'm making carnitas I do it with pork cooked in oil packed with oranges, garlic, onion, and cinnamon, but even if you're starting with normal smoked pulled pork drizzling some fat of some kind on it before broiling to crisp it up is essential to keep it from drying out. Whether that's rendered pork fat or just oil depends what you have on hand. I like a creamy tangy jalapeno (cilantro, jalapeno, serrano, mayo, sour cream, white vinegar, lime juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a blender) sauce with carnitas but almost anything works well with them imo.

Sounds awesome. This is what I was looking for!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Home Depot is having a today only sale on a Masterbuilt dual-fuel smoker, down to $150: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/447026?c_id=4839&u_id=67424549&d=042820

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
That's the exact smoker I have and I can say that the charcoal functionality is a joke. Works great as a gas smoker if you swap out the flame bowl thing with something made of cast iron, the stock one tends to flare up nonstop. It could also be a lot more efficient if it had a gasket but other than that I love it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

atothesquiz posted:

Sounds awesome. This is what I was looking for!

I try and reuse the actual grease and fat collected from the smoked pork if I do this. Though nowadays I am more likely to put beans and bacon under the pork and let it catch the drippings. So drat good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Home Depot is having a today only sale on a Masterbuilt dual-fuel smoker, down to $150: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/447026?c_id=4839&u_id=67424549&d=042820

This was tempting, but I’m going to try and get another season out of my cheap rear end no-name brand smoker I picked up a few years ago. It still produces drat good meat.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

blugu64 posted:

Also to consider is portability. I can take my smoker with lump charcoal camping, where the nearest electrical outlet is about 50 miles away.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I am happy enough with my butt with a simple rub and decent smoke that I rarely need sauce, beyond an occasional sprinkle of trader joes green dragon. Refried pulled pork is wonderful.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Just out of curiosity, has anyone smoked a bison brisket? I can’t see it being too much different than a beef brisket, but it would probably need more attention to keep it from drying out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

I am happy enough with my butt with a simple rub and decent smoke that I rarely need sauce, beyond an occasional sprinkle of trader joes green dragon. Refried pulled pork is wonderful.

That's fine but I don't consider those carnitas.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
J Kenji Lopez's sous vide carnitas are amazing

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pastrami

Not bad for a first attempt.

Pics of homemade Reubens will follow as soon as my homemade rye bread and Russian/Thousand Island dressing are ready.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's a rad idea. I love pastrami but it's so drat expensive.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I. M. Gei posted:

Pastrami

Pics of homemade Reubens will follow as soon as my homemade rye bread and Russian/Thousand Island dressing are ready.

I’m interested. Got a recipe and any tweaks you would do next time?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I. M. Gei posted:

Pastrami

Very nice

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A seemingly simple question but probably not so simple an answer...

Roomie and I are going to smoke a 3.8lb pork shoulder in my portable electric smoker, which I've found can run hot probably due to its small size. Anyway it's 11am here now and if I want it ready around 6 or so, does a rough guess of 90 minutes per pound at 225 make sense? Or should I try for 250 or 275? I'm thinking I'll get started shortly anyway as if it hits 200+ before then I can just wrap and rest.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I think the simple answer is probably no you can’t finish a pork butt in 7 hours at 225 or 250*F.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TITANKISSER69 posted:

A seemingly simple question but probably not so simple an answer...

Roomie and I are going to smoke a 3.8lb pork shoulder in my portable electric smoker, which I've found can run hot probably due to its small size. Anyway it's 11am here now and if I want it ready around 6 or so, does a rough guess of 90 minutes per pound at 225 make sense? Or should I try for 250 or 275? I'm thinking I'll get started shortly anyway as if it hits 200+ before then I can just wrap and rest.

If you want pork that quickly you're gonna have to foil it and oven bake at like 300 ish.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've never smoked a shoulder smaller than about 7 pounds. I'm going to soon though, because I told my wife to get the two biggest shoulders they had at the local grocer and she came back with 2 4 pounders.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Doing a brisket for the first time in probably a year. I think this is the first time I've left the pit and the meat probes in this long so it's kind of interesting to watch them cool off. The BGE is cooling off a little faster than I would have guessed probably.

It's also the first time I've crutched and probably not ideal since the stall had ended when I did it, but I was asleep before then so whaddya gonna do.

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/902158

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gwaihir posted:

If you want pork that quickly you're gonna have to foil it and oven bake at like 300 ish.

Well after 2 hours and change it's at 150 in a smoker that's been maintaining at the low 260s. Part of me wants to turn it down a bit, but on the other hand I don't know what kind of stall to expect. So I'm leaving it as is and not loving with it unless I really should.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Well after 2 hours and change it's at 150 in a smoker that's been maintaining at the low 260s. Part of me wants to turn it down a bit, but on the other hand I don't know what kind of stall to expect. So I'm leaving it as is and not loving with it unless I really should.

You're probably right at the stall tbh

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TITANKISSER69 posted:

You need to crutch. Now if you want to salvage a late dinner.

I just pulled off the smallest butt I’ve ever done (usually I use Costco, today was a buddy’s Berkie he grew for me) and I started it 18 hours ago.

So that was 6 hours ago. No crutch with BGE set to 235. You say you’ve reached 150, well that’s great. Look at the slope of those green lines. It will stall out until well past dinner time unless you do something about it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm doing a 9lb picnic shoulder on the pellet grill tomorrow. I'm seeing cook times from 8 to 18 hours for pulled pork. I don't know what I should plan for.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think Flash Gordon Ramsey said it better but essentially every time I’ve started it early I’ve thought “oh man this is going to be too early” when you see it jump in the first few hours then you end up pulling it off done just in time.
You can always wrap it in foil and towels and hold for several hours. I would argue it’s better that way!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I'm doing a 9lb picnic shoulder on the pellet grill tomorrow. I'm seeing cook times from 8 to 18 hours for pulled pork. I don't know what I should plan for.

I do 9lb pork shoulders on my Traeger all the time. Expect 18 hours @ 235. 8 hours is pretty laughable unless you're cranking the temp up way high.

The last 10-15' takes multiple hours.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dango Bango posted:

You're probably right at the stall tbh

Hed posted:

You need to crutch. Now if you want to salvage a late dinner.

I just pulled off the smallest butt I’ve ever done (usually I use Costco, today was a buddy’s Berkie he grew for me) and I started it 18 hours ago.

So that was 6 hours ago. No crutch with BGE set to 235. You say you’ve reached 150, well that’s great. Look at the slope of those green lines. It will stall out until well past dinner time unless you do something about it.

I'm just seeing these now, but 20 minutes ago I was at 175. Going to check now.

EDIT: Up to 180 now. It's cooled down outside and the smoker is down to 250 at the grill. Hoping to eat in 3ish hours, crutch or no crutch?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 1, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just bought two big tritips at costco. I'd like to make one or more of them Santa Maria style.

I have a pellet smoker. Any recommendations on recipes for my tritips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I do 9lb pork shoulders on my Traeger all the time. Expect 18 hours @ 235. 8 hours is pretty laughable unless you're cranking the temp up way high.

The last 10-15' takes multiple hours.

Those short times are recipes from Traeger and Louisiana Grill at 250.

How do you manage that? Turn it on at 10 pm and go to bed?