Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The fiance and i end up being veg most days, simply because we've gotten so much better at cooking them. We eat great, lots of filling delicious stuff. Stews, stir fried, casseroles, pizzas, pasta, rice, Ect. Meat is normally a side or flavoring agent.

Us coming from different cultural backgrounds, and both being good cooks keeps the meals varied as well. What's comfort food to one of us is exotic delicious for the other!

We did feast on Korean fried chicken last night, but that was because I was depressed. And we're planning an amazing pork chop and lobster birthday bash for ourselves come may.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of the bummers of this whole pandemic thing is not being able to pick our own produce for the currently-necessary grocery deliveries, so on a whim I decided to try HelloFresh for a while to mix things up a bit. My wife is not a big meat-eater so 2/3 of the meals we choose are vegetarian, and I don't miss the meat at all. The other night we had these harissa sweet potato pita sandwiches with cucumber salad and I cannot believe how filling they were. I'm not normally a huge fan of carb on carb (potatoes in a pita) but it really worked. We may even keep up the subscription after things go back to mostly normal just for the variety it offers, not to mention we're pretty decent home cooks anyway and can spice up or modify the included recipes however we want.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I’d always heard from friends that their flavour profiles are pretty solid, and they leave room to adjust for your level of heat tolerance. And the convenience is a big plus.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone have a basic ratio style kinda kimchi recipe?

I have some random napa, bok choy, carrots, green onions, other random veg etc along with gochugaru, fish sauce ginger, garlic, all that. Most of the recipes I have are pretty specific and am kinda wondering if someone has something along the lines of

X weight greens to Y weight salt, let sit then add Z amount of sugar and starch + pepper etc.

Any thoughts? Generally most ferments break down this way just unsure if anyone has such a thing spelled out, would be a nice reference.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Midniter posted:

One of the bummers of this whole pandemic thing is not being able to pick our own produce for the currently-necessary grocery deliveries, so on a whim I decided to try HelloFresh for a while to mix things up a bit. My wife is not a big meat-eater so 2/3 of the meals we choose are vegetarian, and I don't miss the meat at all. The other night we had these harissa sweet potato pita sandwiches with cucumber salad and I cannot believe how filling they were. I'm not normally a huge fan of carb on carb (potatoes in a pita) but it really worked. We may even keep up the subscription after things go back to mostly normal just for the variety it offers, not to mention we're pretty decent home cooks anyway and can spice up or modify the included recipes however we want.

I've tried 4 or 5 of them and they're pretty neat. The two problems I had were the terrible carbon footprint they create in all the packaging and they're honestly very expensive if you can just hit the grocery. To each his own but the packaging was just too much for me. Otherwise they're nice especially trying things you normally wouldn't in the kitchen. It was really motivating to me in that regard, hands down.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That Works posted:

Anyone have a basic ratio style kinda kimchi recipe?

I have some random napa, bok choy, carrots, green onions, other random veg etc along with gochugaru, fish sauce ginger, garlic, all that. Most of the recipes I have are pretty specific and am kinda wondering if someone has something along the lines of

X weight greens to Y weight salt, let sit then add Z amount of sugar and starch + pepper etc.

Any thoughts? Generally most ferments break down this way just unsure if anyone has such a thing spelled out, would be a nice reference.

In my experience, as long as you pre-salt the cabbage enough the leaves (or whatever base veg you're doing. Radishes, cucumbers, whatev) are flexible, and you put enough salty poo poo in the paste that it tastes too salty by itself, kimchi will just kinda figure it out from there. I don't really measure anymore.

Edit: Doing the math in my head, it's prob the usual 2-3% salt by weight that almost every fermented food uses.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 29, 2020

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Croatoan posted:

I've tried 4 or 5 of them and they're pretty neat. The two problems I had were the terrible carbon footprint they create in all the packaging and they're honestly very expensive if you can just hit the grocery. To each his own but the packaging was just too much for me. Otherwise they're nice especially trying things you normally wouldn't in the kitchen. It was really motivating to me in that regard, hands down.

Yeah, I tried it once because someone gave me 2 free deliveries and I was curious what they were like. The first one basically just came in a brown paper bag with the produce in it and not much more, totally workable. The second one, like every single component was individually shrink-wrapped, including single cloves of garlic and poo poo and I cancelled immediately. Maybe it was bad timing, but I also found the vegetarian options to be pretty limited.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

In my experience, as long as you pre-salt the cabbage enough the leaves (or whatever base veg you're doing. Radishes, cucumbers, whatev) are flexible, and you put enough salty poo poo in the paste that it tastes too salty by itself, kimchi will just kinda figure it out from there. I don't really measure anymore.
I just make around a 5% brine in the container that I'm going to ferment in and brine all the veg. I've never seen a recipe that calls for this, the recipes always call for directly salting the veg and many involve elaborate rituals for getting good coverage. So brining is definitely not traditional. But if there's any difference between kimchi made this way and made traditionally, except for brining being easier, I can't detect it.

As for portioning everything else, I usually make porridge for the paste and do that in a large pot, let it cool, and then just dredge all the veg through the paste before putting it in the fermentation vessel. If I have leftover paste it just kinda gets dumped on top, but most of the time I just kinda eyeball how much veg I'm using and if it looks like I made too much paste I just dig around in the fridge for something else I can throw in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SubG posted:

I just make around a 5% brine in the container that I'm going to ferment in and brine all the veg. I've never seen a recipe that calls for this, the recipes always call for directly salting the veg and many involve elaborate rituals for getting good coverage. So brining is definitely not traditional. But if there's any difference between kimchi made this way and made traditionally, except for brining being easier, I can't detect it.

As for portioning everything else, I usually make porridge for the paste and do that in a large pot, let it cool, and then just dredge all the veg through the paste before putting it in the fermentation vessel. If I have leftover paste it just kinda gets dumped on top, but most of the time I just kinda eyeball how much veg I'm using and if it looks like I made too much paste I just dig around in the fridge for something else I can throw in.

5% wet brine and soak the veggies in or 5% salt per weight of veggies?

I do the same as you re: porridge with paste. I pulp up an apple or pear with some rice flour or corn starch and the pepper and just eyeball it in and use the rest for Korean fried chicken.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

But if there's any difference between kimchi made this way and made traditionally, except for brining being easier, I can't detect it.

:colbert: It's not the way my grandma makes it and my grandma makes the best kimchi in the world

(brine is good and fine, I usually brine my quick kimchi cuz it's usually being made when I'm lazy but need another jar in the fridge)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

That Works posted:

5% wet brine and soak the veggies in or 5% salt per weight of veggies?
Around 50g salt per litre of water, making enough to cover the veg.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats just a water kimchi. nabak kimchi is traditionally done that way, same w dongchimi

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats just a water kimchi. nabak kimchi is traditionally done that way, same w dongchimi
No, I'm not fermenting the kimchi with all the brine. I'm just wet brining instead of dry brining the veg before adding the paste.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubG posted:

Around 50g salt per litre of water, making enough to cover the veg.

Awesome thanks. I've only done the add dry salt and rub / let sit. Do you have a minimum time you brine the veg for doing it this way? Sounds a little easier to scale.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

That Works posted:

Awesome thanks. I've only done the add dry salt and rub / let sit. Do you have a minimum time you brine the veg for doing it this way? Sounds a little easier to scale.
A couple hours, although you can let it go longer. It wouldn't surprise me if there are subtle differences between different kinds of veg at different brining times, but every time I've made homemade kimchi I've been happy with the results so I haven't done a whole lot of a/b testing for fine-tuning minor poo poo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubG posted:

A couple hours, although you can let it go longer. It wouldn't surprise me if there are subtle differences between different kinds of veg at different brining times, but every time I've made homemade kimchi I've been happy with the results so I haven't done a whole lot of a/b testing for fine-tuning minor poo poo.

That's cool, just looking for a ballpark since the ferment times after bottling it up range super widely anyway. I like to do a 4-5 day ferment sealed at room temp, just soft and sour enough, not too mushy. Thanks for the detail. Just wanted to look for a less specific method since I am kinda making a garbage pile of random veggies to toss into this.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

three kinds of olives, capers, cheese, and saltines - sorry kidneys, sometimes dinner is lazy

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm right with you. I've been having olives and pickles and sweet vermouth every day trying to clean out our fridge for our move, and sometimes I wonder if the kidney stones are worth it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

The fiance and i end up being veg most days, simply because we've gotten so much better at cooking them. We eat great, lots of filling delicious stuff. Stews, stir fried, casseroles, pizzas, pasta, rice, Ect. Meat is normally a side or flavoring agent.

Us coming from different cultural backgrounds, and both being good cooks keeps the meals varied as well. What's comfort food to one of us is exotic delicious for the other!

We did feast on Korean fried chicken last night, but that was because I was depressed. And we're planning an amazing pork chop and lobster birthday bash for ourselves come may.

I’m sure I’ve written this here before but cooking vegetarian has greatly improved my cooking skills.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm right with you. I've been having olives and pickles and sweet vermouth every day trying to clean out our fridge for our move, and sometimes I wonder if the kidney stones are worth it.

I've been having a lot of olives and gin and dry vermouth myself.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

I’m sure I’ve written this here before but cooking vegetarian has greatly improved my cooking skills.

Me too. Except, I don't think it was the skills so much as the knowledge.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

That Works posted:

I've been having a lot of olives and gin and dry vermouth myself.

I remember in the before times, when people said using alcohol as a coping mechanism was always bad and if you found yourself doing it you should stop drinking entirely.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bartolimu posted:

I remember in the before times, when people said using alcohol as a coping mechanism was always bad and if you found yourself doing it you should stop drinking entirely.

That's.... blasphemous.

Jokes aside, spirits at home (pun intended) are fairly high. Partner and I are incredibly fortunate to be employed and with little debts so for us at least we are in good shape both literally and figuratively as DINKs. We've been drinking somewhat more mostly just because we don't have to get up early for arbitrary work events and that kinda deal.

I'd say we drink more often on a day to day basis, but we don't drink any more in one sitting than we did before all this mess. Exercise has increased massively during this too and we're both sleeping more and better so it's going OK.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I don't drink (well ok, sometimes beer or wine with a meal), but legal weed in Massachusetts has been really good for my coping.

The Dispensaries have been labeled essential, just like The Packies (yes, people actually refer to liquor stores in this way).
I was skeptical about legal weed at first, but I'm totally onboard now. I get super high-quality product for less then the black market price, and it's all perfectly legal. I can just walk into a loving store and buy it, no dumb rear end stoners to call.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Me too. Except, I don't think it was the skills so much as the knowledge.

Just out of curiosity, how do you distinguish between what constitutes skill versus knowledge in regards to cooking? Personally I think it tends to be a kind of symbiotic relationship and they develop in parallel.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do you distinguish between what constitutes skill versus knowledge in regards to cooking? Personally I think it tends to be a kind of symbiotic relationship and they develop in parallel.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less sense that makes.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less sense that makes.

Personally I Think you can make a distinction in some ways where you can have theoretical knowledge about aspects of cooking without any skill to execute it in practise and on the other end learn how to execute something without really understanding why it works the way it does, but in most cases it really is a gradual interaction between both. It is an interesting topic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

Personally I Think you can make a distinction in some ways where you can have theoretical knowledge about aspects of cooking without any skill to execute it in practise and on the other end learn how to execute something without really understanding why it works the way it does, but in most cases it really is a gradual interaction between both. It is an interesting topic.

I can more or less from memory draw out the reactions, structures and enzymes involved in the fermentation process but routinely forget how much salt to mass I should add to get a good ferment going which I think is kind of in the spirit of this.

For bread? For bread I don't even try to measure or do anything anymore, I just go by feel and let it rip. I find that my failure rate is equal or better than when I actually used to try.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

From general pedagogy - knowledge can be learned perfectly without doing (percentages of salt, "done" internal temperature) while skills need to be practiced, such as kneading and testing pasta for doneness.

Both can allow you to adjust on the fly, knowing the difference really just helps if you are having problems to figure if you need to read more or practice more.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anyone equating knowledge and skill has never seen me fabricating a chicken.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

Anyone equating knowledge and skill has never seen me fabricating a chicken.

Man no poo poo. About 1 out of 4 I'll nail it but then I'll go back to loving up the thighs again somehow. Wings, breasts and tenderloins easy peasy. Those drat thighs, gently caress!

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

just like The Packies (yes, people actually refer to liquor stores in this way).

Oh lordy, not heard that one before. How many unknowing expat/tourist Brits have you seen looking horrified if that's dropped in conversation?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

From general pedagogy - knowledge can be learned perfectly without doing (percentages of salt, "done" internal temperature) while skills need to be practiced, such as kneading and testing pasta for doneness.

Both can allow you to adjust on the fly, knowing the difference really just helps if you are having problems to figure if you need to read more or practice more.

Knowledge: the/an ideal ratio for rolled sheet pasta is 100g flour to 55g egg, plus however much liquid, if any, it takes to make the dough feel right
Skill: doing that second part correctly every time (this is one of the things I'm still bad at)

Gonna try to do handmade lasagna noodles tomorrow, and take a nice lasagna over to the parents for dinner. Or at least a functional lasagna, even if it isn't nice. But skill takes practice and at least I know my lasagna fundamentals won't let me down.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubG posted:

Thanks again, got about 1.5 gallons of kimchi just starting to bubble this morning. I had a bunch of napa and some bokchoy and carrots that were gonna go off pretty soon. Bought a shitload of green onions and tossed them in as well. I had 1-2 pears getting old and used those, ginger, garlic, fish sauce and gochujang, simmered and then pulped those together and tossed them in with the drained veggies after about 4h of wet brining.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thinking about making homemade pasta tonight-whats everyone’s favorite sauce with tagliatelle? I’m not going to have time to make real Bolognese which is my usual standard.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thinking about making homemade pasta tonight-whats everyone’s favorite sauce with tagliatelle? I’m not going to have time to make real Bolognese which is my usual standard.

I just do a simple fire roasted tomato and chèvre most of the time with whatever fresh herbs I have on hand.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, vanilla is getting expensive and hard to find.

Plus, I just bought some pods off of Amazon, and I'm totally disappointed in the quality: small, short pods without much pulp. Goddamn it.

EDIT: just left a 2 star review on Amazon. While the product has overwhelmingly positive reviews, the vast majority of the negative reviews came since Jan 1 2020.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 1, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Plus, I just bought some pods off of Amazon, and I'm totally disappointed in the quality: small, short pods without much pulp. Goddamn it.

I used to get beans from Boston Vanilla Bean Company. Not sure if they're still around but their stuff was always great. Particularly the Mexican pods. They were shorter than madagascar beans, but plump and super oily. And the flavor was exceptional.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used to get beans from Boston Vanilla Bean Company. Not sure if they're still around but their stuff was always great. Particularly the Mexican pods. They were shorter than madagascar beans, but plump and super oily. And the flavor was exceptional.

Plump and super oily, with exceptional flavour? Sounds like Pr0k’s mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Squashy Nipples posted:

EDIT: just left a 2 star review on Amazon. While the product has overwhelmingly positive reviews, the vast majority of the negative reviews came since Jan 1 2020.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. My secret has always been JR Mushrooms & Specialties on Amazon. They have always had great prices, and literally perfect quality beans better than anywhere else I have ever seen. I just checked and they still have stock, but prices are up to $7 a pod. :psyduck: The last time I bought them they were at like $2.10 per.