Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jimbozig posted:

So if I've spent my feats on synergies that allow me to most effectively set up debuffs and then take advantage of them... what choices am I going to make in combat? Aren't I always just going to choose "1. Set up debuffs. 2. Take advantage."?

Like the chain-trip fighter I mentioned in my last post: trip them, then hit them while they are down. The only choice to make is who to trip first.

The funny thing here is that PF2 fighters really feel like MMO characters, because each one has got a "rotation": a sequence of moves of escalating power that you optimally follow rigidly, but which the vicissitudes of tactical combat might interrupt your ability to cleave to perfectly, either because an enemy AoE requires you to move out of the way while you want to stand still or an ally is down and you need to use an action reviving them or whatever.

But, they don't feel enough like MMO characters, because usually an MMO character with a basic, circulating rotation is going to have dramatically powerful abilities that either have really long cooldowns or cost a lot of a special resource your regular rotation generates, such that you actually have some kind of alpha strike or super move in your pocket to deploy when the situation calls for it. If you're a 2E Fighter, everything's on the GCD.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ferrinus posted:

The funny thing here is that PF2 fighters really feel like MMO characters, because each one has got a "rotation": a sequence of moves of escalating power that you optimally follow rigidly, but which the vicissitudes of tactical combat might interrupt your ability to cleave to perfectly, either because an enemy AoE requires you to move out of the way while you want to stand still or an ally is down and you need to use an action reviving them or whatever.

But, they don't feel enough like MMO characters, because usually an MMO character with a basic, circulating rotation is going to have dramatically powerful abilities that either have really long cooldowns or cost a lot of a special resource your regular rotation generates, such that you actually have some kind of alpha strike or super move in your pocket to deploy when the situation calls for it. If you're a 2E Fighter, everything's on the GCD.

This is unrelated to the PF2E discussion, but are you familiar enough with Spellbound Kingdoms to say how it would stack against an idealized version of this tabletop MMO style?

I keep trying to mine flowchart combat for my own games but it always ends up feeling either too rote or insufficiently unique to make the whole thing worthwhile.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

(and the PF2E stuff the Fighter gets is GOOD, which is also an important factor to consider)

GOOD stuff posted:

DOUBLE SLICE [2 ACTIONS]FEAT 1
Fighter
Requirements You are wielding two melee weapons, each in a different hand.

You lash out at your foe with both weapons. Make two Strikes, one with each of your two melee weapons, each using your current multiple attack penalty. Both Strikes must have the same target. If the second Strike is made with a weapon that doesn’t have the agile trait, it takes a –2 penalty.

If both attacks hit, combine their damage, and then add any other applicable effects from both weapons. You add any precision damage only once, to the attack of your choice. Combine the damage from both Strikes and apply resistances and weaknesses only once. This counts as two attacks when calculating your multiple attack penalty.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Ferrinus posted:

Why, yes: D&D 5E. They mostly suck rear end, but it was at least judged that battlemaster maneuvers (not to mention action surge) were potent enough that you shouldn't be allowed to do them every six seconds from morning to evening. Obviously maneuvers suck rear end for a number of reasons, but at least playing a fighter doesn't automatically shut you out of ever having an ability so strong or dramatic that it needs to be rationed out.

More broadly I would say that there are plenty of games that let the fighter archetype participate in the same kind of decision-making and power-gating that wizard archetypes (or whatever) do - it just mostly happens in games that don't ration power out by the fight or by the day, but rather by the fate point or something. Like, Dawn Caste Solar Exalted still get to use their motes and willpower points to power combat Charms, Dungeon World fighters get to trigger moves and make decisions based on the resulting rolls, etc.

I always forget about the 5e battlemaster.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

grassy gnoll posted:

This is unrelated to the PF2E discussion, but are you familiar enough with Spellbound Kingdoms to say how it would stack against an idealized version of this tabletop MMO style?

I keep trying to mine flowchart combat for my own games but it always ends up feeling either too rote or insufficiently unique to make the whole thing worthwhile.

Fraid not. I got really into FF14 a while back so I actually do have a bunch of scattered thoughts about how to incorporate my favorite MMO mechanics into various RPGS (I made my Exalted PCs fight the air dragon Garuda, who had an adds phase, for instance), up to and including how to make an actual tank/healer/dps combat paradigm that doesn't suck rear end to execute in a turn-based pen-and-paper context, but I've never actually rolled my sleeves up and started a design doc or whatever.

Octavo posted:

I always forget about the 5e battlemaster.

I don't blame you. What's hosed up is that at least some of the architecture is there to make it good, or at least passable. You'd just need tiers of higher-level maneuvers and maybe a pool of per-day Mastery Dice that add special effects to maneuvers you spend them on and are somehow tied to your action surge stockpile or your hit dice or something.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As far as I know there aren't many games out there that are just Spelljammer with the serial numbers filed off right now, so in my opinion there's two main ways to go if you don't want to just run it in your standard D&D or D&D-alike:

1) Get Fellowship 2e. Get Inverse Fellowship for the Ship playbook and Horizon framework. Use these to run a game where you just sail around the Astral Seas and see what happens.

2) Take a generic system like Fate or Cortex Prime, or even GURPS or Savage Worlds if that's your cup of tea, and put together something that works for the kind of magic airship adventures you want to run. This is more work than just running something like Fellowship with the Horizon and playing, but you can really make something that works for your group if you put the effort in.

I'm actually pretty comfortable with finding my own systems, but thank you. I'm more wondering if "advantures in the weird astral sea" is a setting that's been explored in... the last 30 years?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
There's always Troika, which is very much derived from the 'sailing the infinite spheres on a ship of crystal and brass' type pulpy sci-fantasy that Spelljammer seems to be derived from.

e: and Broken Worlds, which is a less artsy take on the whole thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Did you quote from the actual final rules this time or are you still criticizing the playtest as if it was the final product

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Arivia posted:

Did you quote from the actual final rules this time or are you still criticizing the playtest as if it was the final product

If that’s playtest material I hope it got nerfed in the final version. I mean, a fighter could potentially do that all day!

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm actually pretty comfortable with finding my own systems, but thank you. I'm more wondering if "advantures in the weird astral sea" is a setting that's been explored in... the last 30 years?

You might want to check out Swashbucklers of the 7 skies for ideas. http://evilhat.wikidot.com/s7s

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So if I was going to run Paranoia for my role-playing group, what would be the best edition to use? I have access to a lot of the original books and materials and the main set for the latest edition.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

DocBubonic posted:

You might want to check out Swashbucklers of the 7 skies for ideas. http://evilhat.wikidot.com/s7s

I will look into that, thank you! Broken Worlds and Troika are my jams (and UVG), but I wasn't familiar with Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Final product

Ferrinus posted:

I don't blame you. What's hosed up is that at least some of the architecture is there to make it good, or at least passable. You'd just need tiers of higher-level maneuvers and maybe a pool of per-day Mastery Dice that add special effects to maneuvers you spend them on and are somehow tied to your action surge stockpile or your hit dice or something.
Martial Dice were going to be a spell slots (or more like a mana points I suppose) equivalent available to all martial characters but then grognards got mad.

Meinberg posted:

I think that PF2 fighter feats are actually fairly well designed. A lot of them revolve around setting up debuffs and then taking advantage of those debuffs, and a fair amount of them are situationally very powerful but aren’t powerhouses in general usage. I wouldn’t necessarily call PF2 “elegant” but for what it is, it’s fairly well designed.
OK so I'm a fighter and I'm in a fight I really care about and want to do extra well in. What on my sheet helps me out here? What did I give up during character creation or advancement to get it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CobiWann posted:

So if I was going to run Paranoia for my role-playing group, what would be the best edition to use? I have access to a lot of the original books and materials and the main set for the latest edition.

XP. Nothing before is as good, everything after is worse.

Note that the first line in the GM's section of XP is "nothing matters, do whatever is funniest and matches your chosen playstyle." You do not need to give a poo poo about knowing all the rules or getting the canon of Alpha Complex right. Check out the Little RED Book if you want to get a good baseline.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My opinion on Pathfinder is that it's a product created by vultures that bankrolled one of the biggest scams in the buisness, and now I can't imagine trying to convince the numerous new players streaming has brought in that D&D with the numbers filed off is the way to go.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That feat is actually good enough basically all other martials seethe and desire it. That and the ranger version are both things recommended as highly important and a reason to take their archetypes at all when multiclassing. It's a bit boring, but it IS a level 1 feat. I'd also rather the weird and highly technical text that makes its interactions completely clear than the naturalistic language that plagues 5e. In practice what that is is "Attack twice at your current MAP, but apply precision damage and resistances only once."

Mechanically, it's good. Whether it's INTERESTING is a completely different argument, and not one I've made a position on there.

Edit: It's interesting to contrast that feat with the Power Attack feat, also a 1st level choice:

quote:

Power Attack Two Actions Feat 1
Fighter Flourish
Source Core Rulebook pg. 144
You unleash a particularly powerful attack that clobbers your foe but leaves you a bit unsteady. Make a melee Strike. This counts as two attacks when calculating your multiple attack penalty. If this Strike hits, you deal an extra die of weapon damage. If you’re at least 10th level, increase this to two extra dice, and if you’re at least 18th level, increase it to three extra dice.

Now at first glance it seems better, since the damage dice increases with your level, but due to the weird equipment system in PF2, being able to hit with two different weapons might trigger a whole host of knock-on effects, not to mention Double Slice being less all-or-nothing.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 1, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Leraika posted:

There's always Troika, which is very much derived from the 'sailing the infinite spheres on a ship of crystal and brass' type pulpy sci-fantasy that Spelljammer seems to be derived from.

e: and Broken Worlds, which is a less artsy take on the whole thing.

Broken World is the K6BD PBTA right? I wouldn’t call the K6BD setting less artsy than Troika, though Troika is more modern art and theater than K6BD’s moebius prints and excellent comics.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Infinity Gaia posted:

That feat is actually good enough basically all other martials seethe and desire it. That and the ranger version are both things recommended as highly important and a reason to take their archetypes at all when multiclassing. It's a bit boring, but it IS a level 1 feat. I'd also rather the weird and highly technical text that makes its interactions completely clear than the naturalistic language that plagues 5e. In practice what that is is "Attack twice at your current MAP, but apply precision damage and resistances only once."

It's also equivalent to an At-Will attack power from 4e but more verbose, with penalties, and also requiring a feat to access.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CobiWann posted:

XP or 25th Anniversary Edition which are more or less the exact same thing. Some advice and you should feel free to ignore this:

-If you want to avoid some of the issues of swinginess in chargen (which is a feature but if they're not used to Paranoia, it can be very disheartening to see that they have a really bad skill in Wetware or whatever and won't ever try those skills), use the point-buy system to make the characters but roll for the rest of their little lifepath choices (mutant power, secret society, service sector, etc). Also that way if you're rolling with a large group of players you'll have someone for each of the approaches. Probably let them pick their own skill specialties and drawbacks.

-Use the Mandatory Bonus Duty questionnaire sheet and then give them the roles they're least suited to. The sheet is always fun for roleplaying, giving them the wrong roles is fun for giving them a curveball to work with (alternately just give them the roles they're most suited to because hey why not keep them motivated towards a certain style of play).

-If you want advice for a module to run: Heroes Of Our Complex, the one where the mission is to kill a prominent media figure by dragging his drug-addled rear end around with your crew as the UVs and Friend Computer keep putting the group in increasing levels of barely-justified danger because nobody knows how many backup clones the media figure has. It's a good level of absurdity and everyone is more or less fundamentally on the same side of completing the mission goal (except for societies who want to save him) so the clear tangible goal of "murder this guy and keep murdering this guy" is something solid to work towards at the table. Plus you can flex your own roleplaying muscles and voices by giving him a douchey voice and keep thinking "man, gently caress this guy".

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Lovecraft Country trailer for August release on HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEASasO-tI

Not thrilled with JJ Abrams or the idea that they show the monster but I am still hopeful. I did see an orrery in the background of one of the shots so hopefully it delves into some cosmic horror along with the monster splat.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Slimnoid posted:

It's also equivalent to an At-Will attack power from 4e but more verbose, with penalties, and also requiring a feat to access.

It's a different system, and it doesn't ACTUALLY have any penalties. Resistance only applying once is just to simplify math, the -2 only applies if you're dual wielding a full size weapon in your offhand. The 4E version required two different targets, IIRC? But maybe there was a different one for hitting twice on the same guy. There's also the fact that feats mean different things in the two systems. In PF2 feats are simply how everyone gains... Everything. It's just weird calling them that when they're basically core class features you're simply picking one of from a selection, rather than something more or less optional and extraneous to the class identity. The verbosity is simply because PF2 tries to make everything as absolutely mechanically consistent as possible, which does lead to some clunky language to avoid gotchas and interpretation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

It's totally cool to like things, even if other nerds don't.

:same: or GM prep for that matter, and whether that prep lets me have fun and do cool stuff with the system and toys I've worked on, or if I'm trying to bend the system into what I want and wind up just hand-waving or ad-libbing. Like if I have to fight against the encounter math, or constantly fudge everything to make the scene exciting I'll just go with a system that's a better framework for ad-libbing and doesn't require me to track as much because it acknowledges the other stuff is just fluff.

Good news! Pathfinder 2e is really good at this! Everything on the GM's side is very cleanly exposed and laid out so that you can easily and quickly make decisions about difficulty, challenge, reward, etc. It even gives advice on quickly adapting, reskining, or improvising creatures, items and so on! I can look at 3 tables and get a level-appropriate DC for whatever my players are doing, no sweat. (I want to look at 3 just because that's the different ways to approach the problem, depending upon which capabilities of my players I want to stress.)

Coolness Averted posted:

The problem is the bigger picture. I'm saying casters get tools that can negate or counteract the penalties of a lower score still -or interact with the world as if they had a higher score -something a martial character doesn't get to do.
A wizard for example still has has charm person or floating disc, right? I'd also assume fly and mage armor are still things? Invisibility? Are there stat buffing or polymorph spells still?
The problem with caster supremacy isn't just "Oh with a feat the wizard can sub int for charisma rolls" -Although that was dumb too! The problem is a caster can sidestep pitfalls from bad stats in ways other classes can't. So this "everyone needs to take all the stats" still harms a non-caster more, because it wasn't designed holistically.

That's incorrect. Spellcaster versatility is significantly reduced, and spells no longer replace or countermand other parts of the system.

For example, Charm can make the target friendly and prevent it from attacking you (you the caster, specifically). Friendly is just its opinion of you; it won't do anything unless you make a request of it using the Diplomacy skill. Knock doesn't automatically unlock a door; it allows you to make a check to unlock something at a bonus. You can instead give that same bonus to someone else, and it's much better if you give it to the people with training in Thievery or Athletics instead. Floating Disc holds less Bulk than you can, in a significantly difficult manner (you have to be able to fit and balance the objects on the disc).

Mage armour is I guess vaguely useful? It's adding the bonus of wearing magic armour to you, but it's nowhere near actually wearing armour, just the same as your clothes with a potency rune attached to it. It certainly won't make you as good as say a champion with proficiency in heavy armour.

Fly is now a 4th level spell and gives you a very slow fly speed for 5 minutes. All your melee combatants in your party have similar aerial compatibilities either by then or a level later, including Athletics skill feats, monk teleporting and so on.

Invisibility is not a perfect status like it was in 3e. It's very dependent upon your own Stealth, and can be discovered by anyone using the Seek basic action. (This came up last session! A wizard tried to escape using invisibility, but the ranger's animal companion was able to find him quite easily with scent being a precise scent and the rest of the party finished him off.)

No, there are no ability score stat buffing spells. By polymorph I'm guessing you mean polymorph yourself spells, not baleful polymorph. (If you're not aware, polymorph was systematically disassembled throughout 3e, and Pathfinder 1e never even had a polymorph self spell.) The first of those that gives significant combat abilities would be aerial form (a 4th level), which makes you an okay but not amazing combatant for a minute, compared to a monster of the same level. It's okay? It's definitely not obsoleting the actual people who fight with weapons in your party.

If I'm looking at narrative-altering powers that change up how I play the game, I'm looking just as much if not more so at class and skill feats.

Jimbozig posted:

The problem with only getting per-turn powers goes like this: when you get a new per-turn power, it's either better than your current ones, worse, or it's about as good. If it's better, then you just use it every turn and it makes your character boring. If it's worse, it's just useless. Now unless the game is very simple, it's hard to prevent feats and synergies from making one power better than the others. So the most likely outcome of this is a fighter that does essentially the same thing every turn forever.

But let's be optimists and suppose that the powers are all very well balanced, and each new one you get is about as good as your current ones, so it broadens your options and gives you more variety. That's good! But there are diminishing returns. Getting a 3rd option to add to your existing 2 is great, while getting a 6th option to add to your existing 5 is clearly pretty marginal. So as you gain new feats as you level, your power gains are going to be smaller each time. No scaling is possible - as you level, the new high--level options have to be about as good as the old low-level ones, or else you are back to the first scenario.

Compare to getting an encounter power or a daily power. These are easier to balance because guess what - they aren't supposed to be roughly equal in strength to your per-turn powers. They are supposed to be better! So you take a better power, you get stronger, and you get more diversity. You get a new tactical choice to make about when is the best time to use your limited powers, which makes it a more interesting game for you. And as you go up in levels, the options available to you can scale up, allowing you to grow in power instead of plateauing. Not only is this much easier to design, but in a game like PF where you can expect supplements to introduce new synergies, it is the ONLY way to keep design balance - it is absolutely impossible to think that your meticulous balancing will be unaffected by supplements that add new modifiers and items and poo poo. Which is why games that try that poo poo end up with fighters that do the same poo poo every round. Maybe your chain-wielding trip-fighter is balanced power-wise with a wizard, but the wizard gets to make fun decisions every round, while your rounds are always just "I trip him and hit him while he's down" over and over.

This is completely separate from the issue of narrative control, which you already recognize.

So the class that I can think of comes the closest to the one-trick pony you're describing would be the ruffian rogue, which is very big on using Intimidate to debuff an enemy with the Demoralize action and then attack them while they're weakened. If I make the most obvious feat/skill choices for them and choose things to make Demoralize better at every opportunity, I get this, and also noting the times I have to choose other things:

1st - rogue's racket (ruffian, gets critical specialization to critical success attacks against flat-footed opponents), 2 other skill feats, sneak attack 1d6, You're Next (can Demoralize another enemy when you kill one as your once-per-round reaction)
2nd -expert in Intimidate, Intimidating Prowess (status bonus to Demoralize), Brutal Beating (critical hits frighten the target)
3rd - general feat, skill increase, skill feat (maybe take Intimidation Assurance to take 10 on rolls against low-level enemies, none of my other abilities would work with this at all)
4th - Dread Stalker (frightened enemies are flat-footed to me, so I can sneak attack them just with that condition), skill feat, skill increase
5th - Charisma/Str/Dex/??? ability boosts, ancestry feat, skill feat, skill increase, sneak attack 2d6, increased weapon proficiency and critical specialization on critical hits
6th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
7th - master in Intimidate, Battle Cry (Demoralize an opponent when I roll initiative; demoralize an opponent on a critical hit at Legendary), general feat
8th - rogue feat, skill increase, Terrified Retreat (Demoralized enemies may run away on critical success)
9th - ancestry feat, skill feat, skill increase
10th - Charisma/Str/Dex/??? ability boosts, rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
11th - general feat, skill feat, skill increase, sneak attack 3d6
12th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
13th - ancestry feat, increased weapon proficiency, skill feat, skill increase
14th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
15th - Charisma/Str/Dex/??? ability boosts, legendary in Intimidate, Scared To Death (Can use Intimidate to kill enemies, lots of limits, frequently just frightens instead, comparable to Finger of Death), general feat, skill feat, skill increase
16th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
17th - ancestry feat, skill feat, skill increase, sneak attack 4d6
18th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
19th - general feat, skill feat, skill increase
20th - Charisma/Str/Dex/??? ability boosts, rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase

I left out a lot of other rogue features such as getting debilitating and then instant death attacks, but even still, that's not a one-trick pony in any way even though I've prioritized being the best at frightening things so I can kill them at every opportunity. That's a shitload of other encounter and exploration options for my character, and I definitely have lots of space to make fun decisions every round.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Final product

I'm calling Darwinism in particular out because he's made a habit of quoting the playtest rules in misleading ways to make the system look bad, and then pouting and calling it unfair when I ask him to present the same argument but in the final text. There's nothing wrong with Double Slice, but he's lost his credibility to make an argument based off an unsourced quotation.

Splicer posted:

OK so I'm a fighter and I'm in a fight I really care about and want to do extra well in. What on my sheet helps me out here? What did I give up during character creation or advancement to get it?

For a fighter, my big daily choice is using Martial Flexibility during my daily preparations to choose fighter feats that I gain for that day (in addition to my usual feats I have all the time). If I'm going dragon hunting, I can take say Felling Strike to cause it to fall to the ground, or Determination to shrug off its frightening presence.

I can also use my hero points during that fight to reroll important rolls (I get at least one a session.)

Ferrinus posted:

Ah, I thought about actually opening up the wiki and checking to make sure that either there was nothing with "Flourish" at level 1, but I was pretty sure I was remembering right. Amusingly, I had forgotten that such basic actions as putting your shield up were considered limited-availability special skills!

Otherwise, though, you're obviously bullshitting me. Yeah, there's no blanket prohibition - it's just that nothing of that kind exists, at all, anywhere. And don't I realize that a fighter can swing their sword all day? Just consider the damage-per-day of a fighter standing in an infinite swarm of kobolds who provoke on AoO per round! It's insane! Just shameful that someone sits down and makes accuracy vs. defense numbers a little bit more predictable and suddenly people are pretending this nonsense is legitimate again.

It would've been so easy, too, to give martial characters something like the focus point system but it's "stamina points" or something, but no. There's a preexisting ideological commitment which incidentally defines the game's entire market share.

This is a giant strawman, and you know it. No one is engaging in some sort of 5e-style fighters are just as good as wizards over a long day thing here, that's all you. We're saying that fighters are just genuinely good, period. You're also trying to criticize the system for being unrealistic (with Shield Block) while arguing that the "realism" of martial combatants fighting on forever isn't enough. You don't have a consistent argument, and you're contradicting yourself. Would you prefer a realistic system or one that's fun to play and well-designed? Pathfinder 2e works to be the latter, not the former.

There's no blanket prohibition, and there's a lot of content missing in that Core Rulebook. It's stuffed to bursting as it is, and I'm fine with the core rules having basic feat chains like "fight with sword and shield real good" for the designers and players to build on from there. If I want something more dedicated, I have examples to look at like the Aldori Duelist from one of the supplements: http://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=14

Also two of the martial characters (champions and monks) do get focus points and spells already.

e: I forgot to look it up before I posted this but it's a response to this quote so I'm editing it in. Also so I don't triple post. Regarding encounters per day: good news, unlike D&D 5e, Pathfinder 2e is flexible. Encounters come in a variety of difficulties, and one of the goals of playtesting was that extremely difficult encounters where the players go all-out with all of their daily resources don't feel overwhelming or end up unbalanced. They succeeded in my experience so far: extreme encounters are a bit more swingy in the favour of the opponent (it's easier for them to get critical successes due to being generally higher level) but it's not rocket tag or anything. The GMG even discusses how your distribution of encounter difficulties should change to match the setting, tone, and type of adventure you're running!

quote:

Why, yes: D&D 5E. They mostly suck rear end, but it was at least judged that battlemaster maneuvers (not to mention action surge) were potent enough that you shouldn't be allowed to do them every six seconds from morning to evening. Obviously maneuvers suck rear end for a number of reasons, but at least playing a fighter doesn't automatically shut you out of ever having an ability so strong or dramatic that it needs to be rationed out.

More broadly I would say that there are plenty of games that let the fighter archetype participate in the same kind of decision-making and power-gating that wizard archetypes (or whatever) do - it just mostly happens in games that don't ration power out by the fight or by the day, but rather by the fate point or something. Like, Dawn Caste Solar Exalted still get to use their motes and willpower points to power combat Charms, Dungeon World fighters get to trigger moves and make decisions based on the resulting rolls, etc.

Good news! Fighters get to make that same kind of decision making and narrative control too. You're assuming that spells (not even rituals) are the only way to make narrative changes; that's your fault, not Pathfinder 2e's.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 1, 2020

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Arivia posted:

1st - rogue's racket (ruffian, gets critical specialization to critical success attacks against flat-footed opponents), 2 other skill feats, sneak attack 1d6, You're Next (can Demoralize another enemy when you kill one as your once-per-round reaction)
2nd -expert in Intimidate, Intimidating Prowess (status bonus to Demoralize), Brutal Beating (critical hits frighten the target)
3rd - general feat, skill increase, skill feat (maybe take Intimidation Assurance to take 10 on rolls against low-level enemies, none of my other abilities would work with this at all)
4th - Dread Stalker (frightened enemies are flat-footed to me, so I can sneak attack them just with that condition), skill feat, skill increase
5th - Charisma/Str/Dex/??? ability boosts, ancestry feat, skill feat, skill increase, sneak attack 2d6, increased weapon proficiency and critical specialization on critical hits
6th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
7th - master in Intimidate, Battle Cry (Demoralize an opponent when I roll initiative; demoralize an opponent on a critical hit at Legendary), general feat
8th - rogue feat, skill increase, Terrified Retreat (Demoralized enemies may run away on critical success)
9th - ancestry feat, skill feat, skill increase
10th - Charisma/Str/Dex/??? ability boosts, rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
11th - general feat, skill feat, skill increase, sneak attack 3d6
12th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
13th - ancestry feat, increased weapon proficiency, skill feat, skill increase
14th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
15th - Charisma/Str/Dex/??? ability boosts, legendary in Intimidate, Scared To Death (Can use Intimidate to kill enemies, lots of limits, frequently just frightens instead, comparable to Finger of Death), general feat, skill feat, skill increase
16th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
17th - ancestry feat, skill feat, skill increase, sneak attack 4d6
18th - rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase
19th - general feat, skill feat, skill increase
20th - Charisma/Str/Dex/??? ability boosts, rogue feat, skill feat, skill increase

I left out a lot of other rogue features such as getting debilitating and then instant death attacks, but even still, that's not a one-trick pony in any way even though I've prioritized being the best at frightening things so I can kill them at every opportunity. That's a shitload of other encounter and exploration options for my character, and I definitely have lots of space to make fun decisions every round.
I might be missing something because I don't know enough about PF2, but I don't see anything on the list that actually gives you more choices. I see more stuff that happens - when you scare them, they might run; when you scare them, you can sneak-attack them; when you scare them, they might die. But like, isn't the whole thing just scaring them and then attacking them? What else can you do?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Arivia posted:

This is a giant strawman, and you know it. No one is engaging in some sort of 5e-style fighters are just as good as wizards over a long day thing here, that's all you. We're saying that fighters are just genuinely good, period. You're also trying to criticize the system for being unrealistic (with Shield Block) while arguing that the "realism" of martial combatants fighting on forever isn't enough. You don't have a consistent argument, and you're contradicting yourself. Would you prefer a realistic system or one that's fun to play and well-designed? Pathfinder 2e works to be the latter, not the former.

There's no blanket prohibition, and there's a lot of content missing in that Core Rulebook. It's stuffed to bursting as it is, and I'm fine with the core rules having basic feat chains like "fight with sword and shield real good" for the designers and players to build on from there. If I want something more dedicated, I have examples to look at like the Aldori Duelist from one of the supplements: http://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=14

Also two of the martial characters (champions and monks) do get focus points and spells already.

e: I forgot to look it up before I posted this but it's a response to this quote so I'm editing it in. Also so I don't triple post. Regarding encounters per day: good news, unlike D&D 5e, Pathfinder 2e is flexible. Encounters come in a variety of difficulties, and one of the goals of playtesting was that extremely difficult encounters where the players go all-out with all of their daily resources don't feel overwhelming or end up unbalanced. They succeeded in my experience so far: extreme encounters are a bit more swingy in the favour of the opponent (it's easier for them to get critical successes due to being generally higher level) but it's not rocket tag or anything. The GMG even discusses how your distribution of encounter difficulties should change to match the setting, tone, and type of adventure you're running!

You seem to be misreading me. I'm not criticizing shield block as unrealistic or fighters as underpowered. I fully believe you that PC fighters are well-balanced and handy to have on your team, just as I fully believe that the damage output of a 5E fighter is high enough to merit their inclusion in a high-level party. Comparative DPR amortized over low-encounter days versus high-encounter days does not particularly concern me here (although, to be sure, fighters that actually got powers would be much easier to balance for short days vs. long ones)

My concern is, as ever, that - actually, just look at my response to the second part of your post.

quote:

Good news! Fighters get to make that same kind of decision making and narrative control too. You're assuming that spells (not even rituals) are the only way to make narrative changes; that's your fault, not Pathfinder 2e's.

No, they do not, because they cannot respond to a deadly threat by drawing on their mightiest powers. They can just pick the most appropriate at-will attack for the situation and deploy it, and if they're lucky it'll be the exact same at-will that they use by default against any kind of threat because it's their A-B-C action sequence that generates the most damage (rather than generates less damage, but that's a sacrifice you have to make because it's the only way to prevent your opponent from flying out of reach or whatever).

A wizard can gauge the situation they're in and choose whether to cast Burning Hands or Sleep, but they can also choose whether to cast Burning Hands or Fireball. Fighters can't do that second thing; they can't ever, ever take an action that's so dramatic and decisive that it'd be unfair if they were able to just do it again, for free, next round. (Besides spending a hero point, I guess? But everyone gets those.) This is a core ideological underpinning of Pathfinder and the central priority that allowed Paizo to soak up the fraction of the player base that was alienated by D&D 4E's paradigm shift.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Lovecraft Country trailer for August release on HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEASasO-tI

Not thrilled with JJ Abrams or the idea that they show the monster but I am still hopeful. I did see an orrery in the background of one of the shots so hopefully it delves into some cosmic horror along with the monster splat.

I highly recommend reading the book this is based on if you haven't already, it's great. It does a great job mixing cosmic horror, more traditional supernatural elements, and weird fiction and uses them as a backdrop to explore racism in Jim Crow America. Also (spoilers from the book based on what we see in the trailer) those monsters probably won't feature heavily into the plot of the show as a whole.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

I might be missing something because I don't know enough about PF2, but I don't see anything on the list that actually gives you more choices. I see more stuff that happens - when you scare them, they might run; when you scare them, you can sneak-attack them; when you scare them, they might die. But like, isn't the whole thing just scaring them and then attacking them? What else can you do?

I'm pointing out that the basic "trip-chain fighter" common to 3e doesn't work the same way in PF2: ie, it doesn't eat all your choices and require a single-minded dedication towards. You have many more options built into your character by default, and can therefore make more choices during play, instead of being stuck on one gimmick.

Ferrinus posted:

No, they do not, because they cannot respond to a deadly threat by drawing on their mightiest powers. They can just pick the most appropriate at-will attack for the situation and deploy it, and if they're lucky it'll be the exact same at-will that they use by default against any kind of threat because it's their A-B-C action sequence that generates the most damage (rather than generates less damage, but that's a sacrifice you have to make because it's the only way to prevent your opponent from flying out of reach or whatever).

A wizard can gauge the situation they're in and choose whether to cast Burning Hands or Sleep, but they can also choose whether to cast Burning Hands or Fireball. Fighters can't do that second thing; they can't ever, ever take an action that's so dramatic and decisive that it'd be unfair if they were able to just do it again, for free, next round. (Besides spending a hero point, I guess? But everyone gets those.) This is a core ideological underpinning of Pathfinder and the central priority that allowed Paizo to soak up the fraction of the player base that was alienated by D&D 4E's paradigm shift.

I disagree. Unless you can point to a specific statement on the record that Pathfinder 2e's rules designers didn't want fighters to have limited availability powers, you're chasing after an assumption based on a very limited sample size. Your "core ideological underpinning" is trying to prove a negative quality solely through the absence of the positive, which is a logical fallacy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

big thanks to jimbo and ferrinus for showing me why i actually shouldn't run pf2e

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

For a fighter, my big daily choice is using Martial Flexibility during my daily preparations to choose fighter feats that I gain for that day (in addition to my usual feats I have all the time). If I'm going dragon hunting, I can take say Felling Strike to cause it to fall to the ground, or Determination to shrug off its frightening presence.
This isn't what I asked, I asked what I can do when I'm in a fight and want to go the extra mile, not how I can tailor my character in advance to tailor my all-day-every-day to one particular encounter in that day. e: actually on rereading I can see that it is ambiguous in isolation, but in context that is what I meant.

Arivia posted:

I can also use my hero points during that fight to reroll important rolls (I get at least one a session.)
Is this a Fighter unique thing or a thing that the casters get as well as their ability to hurl big dailies?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 2, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

This isn't what I asked, I asked what I can do when I'm in a fight and want to go the extra mile, not how I can tailor my character in advance to tailor my all-day-every-day to one particular encounter in that day.
You're making a bad comparison, then, as the ability to prepare for specific fights and circumstances is a major strength of prepared Vancian casting like the wizard has.

If you're like "hey I need very specifically a fighter daily power to use in this specific fight" no, there isn't one, and no one really gives a poo poo. You can set up all the hoops to jump through you'd like before you consider the game worthy, but that's your choice. It plays well and is fun as it is, I'm not going to fault it for not living up to your very specific ideas of how D&D should be fixed.

quote:

Is this a Fighter unique thing or a thing that the casters get as well as their ability to hurl big dailies?

Everyone receives hero points, although individual players can receive them at different rates depending upon how they play.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

You're making a bad comparison, then, as the ability to prepare for specific fights and circumstances is a major strength of prepared Vancian casting like the wizard has.
"A" major strength. Some of the big strengths of vancian casting are that you can prepare for wildly disparate circumstances AND adapt on the fly by scaling your investment per encounter. Individually they are good, in combination they are great. Now, if you were to say that the martials were the only ones that get to adapt their class loadout while a casters cannot adapt their loadout at all (i.e. if you take learn fireball then you have learned the ability to cast exactly one fireball a day and you cannot replace fireball with something else) then we'd be getting to some kind of (inadequate, but arguably showing positive intent) asymmetric parity. But a) I'm guessing that's not the case, and b) if it was that's dumb because wow that would not be a fun way to play a class.

Arivia posted:

If you're like "hey I need very specifically a fighter daily power to use in this specific fight" no, there isn't one, and no one really gives a poo poo. You can set up all the hoops to jump through you'd like before you consider the game worthy, but that's your choice. It plays well and is fun as it is, I'm not going to fault it for not living up to your very specific ideas of how D&D should be fixed.
That's not what I'm asking and you know it. I'm asking how a Fighter can Extra Effort a fight comparable to how a Caster can Extra Effort a fight. There's a bunch of ways you can give a Fighter fightery ways to Extra Effort a fight other than having a specific fighter daily power. For example, that hero points thing. If Fighters get a butt ton of hero points per day/session and Casters do not then they could Extra Effort a fight that way, but...

Arivia posted:

Everyone receives hero points, although individual players can receive them at different rates depending upon how they play.
...they're a thing that the casters get as well as their ability to hurl big dailies.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Arivia posted:

That's not quite the comparison that's being asked. It's asking what are the cool rare abilities a fighter has baked in. Not that needs to be prepared.

It's the "oh poo poo, we just stumbled across the boss fight, I'm going to do this cool thing that I can only do 1/day[1]". It's the ability to spike in awesomeness when the story requires it. Most games that have a mechanic like a per/day or per/session spike in awesomeness don't tie it to your archetype. Modern game design has moved on from that.

Blades in the Dark, Heart/Spire, Torchbearer, Genesys, 2d20, off the top of my head, all have mechanics that allow any archetype to use their "once per X" cool abilities. Some games don't have "once per X" cool abilities, and that's fine, too.

I think what people are pointing out is that 1/X abilities for some archetypes (namely, wizards), and not for other archetypes (namely, fighters) is often considered outdated and beholden to a certain type of grodnard.

[1] or 1/session or 1/rest or 1/time the GM has a beer.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Arivia posted:

I disagree. Unless you can point to a specific statement on the record that Pathfinder 2e's rules designers didn't want fighters to have limited availability powers, you're chasing after an assumption based on a very limited sample size. Your "core ideological underpinning" is trying to prove a negative quality solely through the absence of the positive, which is a logical fallacy.

My evidence for PF 2e's devs not wanting fighters to have limited availability powers is indeed the fact that fighters conspicuously have no limited-availability powers. In fact as far as I know no martial classes do, or if they do get any it's like one high-level thing like that skill feat that lets you try to scare someone to death once a day (which in fact you can spam but not on the same target). Pathfinder was the game for revanchists who griped about "dissociated mechanics" as a cover for their actually just being annoyed that fighters got to do cool things and while 2E conspicously fixed a bunch of balance and usability problems in the edition transition it very pointedly did not fix that central issue... because these people know on which side their bread is buttered.

To be clear, I don't actually know or care what's going in Logan Bonner's heart of hearts. Perhaps all the Pathfinder devs badly want fighters to have powers but, oops, wouldn't you know it, their hard drive crashed and the deadline was up. Maybe the next supplement will finally add Come and Get It and Force the Battle to the fighter feat list!

But it won't.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 2, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I went looking around the wiki. There is a fighter daily! It's the Determination ability that Arivia mentioned, which, once a day, lets you shake off an effect or maaaaybe counteract a spell, and comes with a million exceptions, and you still take damage.

This is the phrase "the exception that proves the rule" incarnate.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 2, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Splicer posted:

I went looking around the wiki. There is a fighter daily! It's the Determination ability that Arivia mentioned, which, once a day, lets you shake off an effect or maaaaybe counteract a spell. You also still take any damage.

This is the phrase "the exception that proves the rule" incarnate.

Lamer than Action Surge. 5E does it again, folks!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

Lamer than Action Surge. 5E does it again, folks!
I really want to emphasise that that's the only one. There's a few more cases where you can take feats where you get a per day thing, but they seems to all be racials, tied to archetypes, or require high levels of int based skills. And no, none of them come even close to any kind of levels spell, so it all falls apart once you people hit any kind of caster levels.

But I'm sure there's more coming any day now!!!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Broken World is the K6BD PBTA right? I wouldn’t call the K6BD setting less artsy than Troika, though Troika is more modern art and theater than K6BD’s moebius prints and excellent comics.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant by 'artsy'. Less grounded might be a better phrase? Idk I'm bad at words today. Troika is the weird gonzo scifantasy of the 70s, Broken Worlds is the weird gonzo scifantasy of the 2010s.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

That's not quite the comparison that's being asked. It's asking what are the cool rare abilities a fighter has baked in. Not that needs to be prepared.

It's the "oh poo poo, we just stumbled across the boss fight, I'm going to do this cool thing that I can only do 1/day[1]". It's the ability to spike in awesomeness when the story requires it. Most games that have a mechanic like a per/day or per/session spike in awesomeness don't tie it to your archetype. Modern game design has moved on from that.

Blades in the Dark, Heart/Spire, Torchbearer, Genesys, 2d20, off the top of my head, all have mechanics that allow any archetype to use their "once per X" cool abilities. Some games don't have "once per X" cool abilities, and that's fine, too.

I think what people are pointing out is that 1/X abilities for some archetypes (namely, wizards), and not for other archetypes (namely, fighters) is often considered outdated and beholden to a certain type of grodnard.

[1] or 1/session or 1/rest or 1/time the GM has a beer.

and I am very very tired of going around in circles about this with Splicer and Ferrinus where they set an arbitrary bar that the game must meet in order to prove that it's not grognardy or whatever to them. It's not based in play experience or any actual study of the rules themselves; it's just an arbitrary qualification based off of things they don't like from other systems. I just genuinely don't care about arguing against a strawman they have set up, no matter how important they insist it is.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
You can like a thing even if other nerds don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

You can like a thing even if other nerds don't

Oh I do! I also like discussing and criticizing games, and that's why I like talking about them. It's just exhausting when all you're getting from specific people is sophistry.