Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

Not an FPS exactly, but sufficiently adjacent: The original 2004 Star Wars Battlefront has received a big update to revive online multiplayer on Steam and GOG, with cross-platform play between the two platforms.

Also, all your Dark Forces and Jedi Knightses are heavily discounted on GOG and Steam as part of some lame pun hashtag.

Is there a preference on which platform is best?

Edit: for the Dark Forces sale, I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

This is from back in February, but I just learned about it - The Steam version of Descent 3 now has upgraded, native, 64-bit Linux and Mac ports done by Ryan C. Gordon. If you own the Windows version, you have these for free. No plans to bring these improvements to the Windows version, which is a real shame because it could really use the extra TLC.

Holy crap I'm gonna buy and replay this

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Ah, page 1998, the year of Thief: The Dark Project.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a preference on which platform is best?

Edit: for the Dark Forces sale, I mean
Dark Forces 1 is a DOS game, so both Steam and GOG are pretty much the same, being wrapped in an old version of DOSBox. Check out the Dehacker posted earlier to enable vertical mouselook!

Jedi Knight has its issues on both platforms with varying degrees of well-meaning but ultimately-unfinished fixes applied. I threw together some words that I probably link all too much about fixing the Steam version, they probably apply equally to the GOG version as well. Old disc copies probably need a bit of extra work to make the CD Audio work as OGG files.

The remaining games in the series are Quake 3 engine and thus relatively easy to jiggle into compliance with just console commands and the occasional config file twiddle. PC Gaming Wiki would have more. They're probably more or less identical on both platforms, so just get the GOG one so there's no DRM wrapper.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ah, page 1998, the year of Unreal and everything that came from it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dave Angel posted:

Ah, page 1998, the year of Thief: The Dark Project.

I really need to properly play Thief. It's sitting here, installed, with the latest patch/fan fixes but I'm so intimidated by how large each level is.

e: I'm pretty secure in 1998 being the single best year in video game history.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tippis posted:

Ah, page 1998, the year of Unreal and everything that came from it.
Only took 'em a few pages... uh, years.

(From 1995's Extreme Pinball)

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I tried replaying Jedi Outcast about a year or two ago, even wrote up a big ol review in this thread. The lightsaber fights and use of Jedi Powers is still the greatest a game has ever done, especially with dismemberment turned on. Dueling in particular comes down to who can through the other's defenses first for that clean cut that slices your torso in half in a sweet 360 degree slow mo panarama. It feels like every other "Jedi" game (looking at you, force unleashed) focused too much on "hack enemy multiple times until red health bar goes away".

Hell I even liked the first two levels without force powers/lightsaber because they felt like a good "Dark Forces" homage.

The problem is the level design isn't great, and Nar Shadaa is one of the worst FPS levels ever designed holy gently caress. I played it until I got to the Doombringer but I was getting bored. The action is great, but then you spend way too much time running around bland rooms trying to figure out where to go next because there are no waypoints.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody play that lovely Postal game last year? Tried so hard to be edgy. I doubt it'll ever go anywhere and nobody will remember it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

catlord posted:

So, I was annoyed when Techland put their Hexen-like, Hellraid, "on hold." It's been talked about before, I was really looking forward to it, especially since we don't get a lot of people explicitly naming Hexen (and I think Witchaven, but I'd need to check that) as inspirations.

I don't think we're getting it.

I was SO hype for Hellraid. One of the biggest gaming disappointments I can think of recently.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The problem is the level design isn't great, and Nar Shadaa is one of the worst FPS levels ever designed holy gently caress. I played it until I got to the Doombringer but I was getting bored. The action is great, but then you spend way too much time running around bland rooms trying to figure out where to go next because there are no waypoints.

Jedi Academy also suffers from this from time to time too, there's been plenty of times I've been stuck in a room for several minutes trying to force sense a secret button or something when I think i'm blocked only to find out that force sense is used for that maybe one time and never again :v:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
dnf and prey are looking great at e3! can't wait!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What's your favorite track? Mine's probably Big Gun. I like the tracks that feel like this hopeless battle against impossible odds. Bitterman is couragewolf before couragewolf. Bite off more than you can chew....AND CHEW IT.

Between Quad Machine and Big Gun here. The OST owned and ripped the audio CD tracks and kept the wav files on my PC. When I got my first mp3 player back in 2003 (a creative MuVo 128mb), these two tracks were among the first stuff I listened to in this marvelous new MP3 player we started to get!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Guillermus posted:

Between Quad Machine and Big Gun here. The OST owned and ripped the audio CD tracks and kept the wav files on my PC. When I got my first mp3 player back in 2003 (a creative MuVo 128mb), these two tracks were among the first stuff I listened to in this marvelous new MP3 player we started to get!

Yooo me too! My first mp3 player had Quake 2 tracks, NiN, Sting, the entire Ghost in the Shell soundtrack, and Kate Bush. Good times. :allears: I think eventually I managed to rip the tracks from SiN, stitch them together in some rudimentary audio editor program, and I put them on there too.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I love Civvie content but I don't get his love for Postal. For something that's supposed to simulate mayhem they got boring fast.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Postal 2 still has the best kick of any FPS game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Evil Egypt looks really good
The first levels are exploring tombs and pyramids, almost Indiana Jones style, but eventually it turns into more malefic...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ETPC posted:

dnf and prey are looking great at e3! can't wait!

That Half-Life game looks like it might be decent, but I think Daikatana'll blow it out of the water.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

That Half-Life game looks like it might be decent, but I think Daikatana'll blow it out of the water.

I'm getting excited about Prey, it had a great E3 demo

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
sin's gonna kick half-life's rear end, count on it!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ETPC posted:

You guys are all wrong, Klingon Honor Guard is going to be the hit of the year!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm looking forward to Blood 2, it looks so dark and realistic. Blood was hardcore as gently caress so there's no way Blood 2 can be bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

Not an FPS exactly, but sufficiently adjacent: The original 2004 Star Wars Battlefront has received a big update to revive online multiplayer on Steam and GOG, with cross-platform play between the two platforms.

Also, all your Dark Forces and Jedi Knightses are heavily discounted on GOG and Steam as part of some lame pun hashtag.

I remember Battlefront '04 having some good maps that never got to Battlefront 2.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ETPC posted:

"Guys, I think we should release SHOGO now. Yeah, I know Half Life's coming out in like two weeks, but what are the chances of it overshadowing our release?"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SCheeseman posted:

Postal 2 still has the best kick of any FPS game.

This is a grave insult to the Duke3D double kick. :colbert:

I'll grant you that it's up there, though, with how you can rearrange the results of your mayhem with it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

"Guys, I think we should release SHOGO now. Yeah, I know Half Life's coming out in like two weeks, but what are the chances of it overshadowing our release?"

I forgot Shogo and Blood 2 came out two weeks apart. Ubisoft did the same poo poo with Beyond Good and Evil coming out two weeks after Sands of Time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I remember Battlefront '04 having some good maps that never got to Battlefront 2.

There's literally no reason to play SWBF1 lol

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Flubby posted:

I love Civvie content but I don't get his love for Postal. For something that's supposed to simulate mayhem they got boring fast.

they're legitimately bad games and pretty much like some old flash game from newgrounds built into a 3d engine. really nothing in them even feels satisfying to use and the npc ai is just. so godawful.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Dark Forces 1 is a DOS game, so both Steam and GOG are pretty much the same, being wrapped in an old version of DOSBox. Check out the Dehacker posted earlier to enable vertical mouselook!

Jedi Knight has its issues on both platforms with varying degrees of well-meaning but ultimately-unfinished fixes applied. I threw together some words that I probably link all too much about fixing the Steam version, they probably apply equally to the GOG version as well. Old disc copies probably need a bit of extra work to make the CD Audio work as OGG files.

The remaining games in the series are Quake 3 engine and thus relatively easy to jiggle into compliance with just console commands and the occasional config file twiddle. PC Gaming Wiki would have more. They're probably more or less identical on both platforms, so just get the GOG one so there's no DRM wrapper.

it might be the steam wrapper causing problems, but i actually just bought Jedi Academy and i've been having a lot of problems with the game just randomly deciding to hardlock on any given loading screen in windows 10. it also generally kinda runs like poo poo for some reason, i suspect i may need to throw DGVoodoo at it or something?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it might be the steam wrapper causing problems, but i actually just bought Jedi Academy and i've been having a lot of problems with the game just randomly deciding to hardlock on any given loading screen in windows 10. it also generally kinda runs like poo poo for some reason, i suspect i may need to throw DGVoodoo at it or something?

There's also OpenJK you can try, I think I used that when I played a bit of Jedi Academy, but I don't know how feature complete it actually is and I didn't get too far before I got distracted by something else.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Doom clones are so boring! Shoot things and finding keys? Boring!

We need FPSers with mission objects and story!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
*nods* the Marathon trilogy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
1998, the year Penny Arcade began, appropriately their first strip was about an FPS(SiN if I recall correctly) and shooters would make up a large amount of their content in the first couple years of the comic(including a lot of jokes at Daikatana and Jon Romero's expense)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Toilet Rascal

drrockso20 posted:

1998, the year Penny Arcade began, appropriately their first strip was about an FPS(SiN if I recall correctly)

You do!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

So were the loading times for SiN really that bad back then?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

they're legitimately bad games and pretty much like some old flash game from newgrounds built into a 3d engine. really nothing in them even feels satisfying to use and the npc ai is just. so godawful.

Even watching the Postal 4 video, there’s a part where he’s in a gunfight with some store clerk and he shoots them with a Desert Eagle 4, 5, maybe even 6 times before they die. I don’t think they flinch or anything the entire time. It just looks soooooo unsatisfying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Even watching the Postal 4 video, there’s a part where he’s in a gunfight with some store clerk and he shoots them with a Desert Eagle 4, 5, maybe even 6 times before they die. I don’t think they flinch or anything the entire time. It just looks soooooo unsatisfying.

i've never made it a secret that i hate the gross poo poo they put in the games, but even setting every single bit of that aside i know from personal, hands-on experience with postal 2 that the gameplay just absolutely sucks. i'd rather play a gta game if i want to fart around in a sandbox, because the component parts of those games make for a much better experience all-around.

i seriously don't know why civvie would be enamored with the series other than nostalgia, because the actual shooting sure as hell ain't it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

drrockso20 posted:

So were the loading times for SiN really that bad back then?

I remember it taking a least couple of minutes to load on my PC (Pentium II?) at the time. I also remember a bug were the first mutant boss just freezes and you can still attack and kill it. Apparently it's AI switch didn't work.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Postal 2 has juuuuust enough little details and systems, as juvenile as...pretty much all of them are, that I can at least understand being charmed by it if only briefly. For a comparatively tame example, you don't see games even nowadays letting you splash gasoline around and then light it up. That's still legit kinda cool.

As an actual game though, it's pretty loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Using a cat as a silencer is pretty special. Pissing on people until this puke is, as well.