Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Bardeh posted:

This is doing the rounds on the local FB group:

:wrongful:

now I hope this country tips over and falls into the sea

e: six is potentially a good word for Scrabble, if you can get the X on a double/triple letter square or in two words

should I be concerned by how much I'm enjoying beating my friends at internet Scrabble

XMNN fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I found the platonic ideal of the Tory voter, holy poo poo these people are living stereotypes

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
They should just play a full weekend of TV shows featuring one time Great British Eccentric and charity super fundraiser Jimmy Saville, while they're at it

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Josef bugman posted:

Thank you. have currently been trying to get through some thicker books, so might aim for something a bit less heavy atm.

This is a good, and short, read about the recent happenings in Puerto Rico in matters of resistance to disaster capitalism. Kind of an appendix to the Shock Doctrine

https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/1250-the-battle-for-paradise

After that I tried to get into something heavier, got stuck, and started re-reading Thief of Time :)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've finished a big old book on Korea, the player of games and am about to finish "The storm before the storm" by Mike duncan.

I will have a look at that, thank you.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've just kind of realised when boomers do this WW2 cosplay poo poo despite being born in 1949 what they're really saying is "I miss my mum and dad and I'm too emotionally crippled and petrified of my own death to work through it in a healthy way so I'm just going to scream incoherently with what I think my dad would say". There's a whole generation who are just dealing with their parents PTSD.

I'm a late boomer. I miss my family intensely and it does give the 60s and 70s, when everyone I loved was alive, a bit of a golden glow in my memory. So I can imagine earlier boomers feeling like that about the late 40s and 50s, and silents who were at home for VE celebrations having them as some peak experience.

But being so old also means I actually knew lots of people who fought in both world wars, and lots of people whose brothers or sons died in them. And it would be hard to kid myself that any of them would appreciate all this flag-waving. They didn't ever do it themselves.

I think gammons of all ages just scream in a way the media have told them is acceptable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Thank you. have currently been trying to get through some thicker books, so might aim for something a bit less heavy atm.
One of the most (if not the main) important skills of an educator or organizer is to communicate a complex idea in a way that a person who may never have been exposed to that idea can intuitively understand through their lived experience, so some of the best books on social justice matters aren't thick or heavy.

Steve Biko explained the threefold Hegelian dialectic to me in I Write What I Like better than any number of pages of Hegel could, because he was communicating to a different audience and not being deliberately verbose.

Which isn't to say that every academic book is useless, a book on organic chemistry that was completely accessible would likely not be useful, and vice versa, and I assume the same goes for the more advanced texts in social study, like Walter Benjamin and his sock fetish, but if you're trying for peasant liberation and your text can't be understood by the peasantry (who aren't thick, they just don't have the background reading and seminars) then your actual aim is Trot wanking.

And on that note I still really need to read Pedagogy of the Oppressed.

Oh dear me posted:

And it would be hard to kid myself that any of them would appreciate all this flag-waving. They didn't ever do it themselves.
My grandad was in WWII, his dad died young as a result of the one before. One thing he always hated was the gaudy displays of poppies on car grills or scarves or anything that wasn't a single paper poppy, worn from Armistice Day to Remembrance Sunday or vice versa.

I'm glad he missed all this

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Josef bugman posted:

Try Moby Dick perhaps. It wasn't really what I was expecting and its one of my favourite books I think.

If you liked the wizard university stuff in Discworld novels, the Gormenghast trilogy is a treat (can just read the second one as a standalone thing really)

If you prefer more factual stuff that's a bit poppy, A Burglar's Guide to the City is a good read, about architecture and that. There's also City of Quartz along similar lines about a history of Los Angeles.

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
I think the gammon WWII mass-celebration of poppies, the military and all that jazz will only get worse, especially as the WWII veterans all start to go to the great mess hall in the sky.

Either that or as the gammons die, it'll start to recede. Who knows?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

One of the most (if not the main) important skills of an educator or organizer is to communicate a complex idea in a way that a person who may never have been exposed to that idea can intuitively understand through their lived experience, so some of the best books on social justice matters aren't thick or heavy.

Steve Biko explained the threefold Hegelian dialectic to me in I Write What I Like better than any number of pages of Hegel could, because he was communicating to a different audience and not being deliberately verbose.

Which isn't to say that every academic book is useless, a book on organic chemistry that was completely accessible would likely not be useful, and vice versa, and I assume the same goes for the more advanced texts in social study, like Walter Benjamin and his sock fetish, but if you're trying for peasant liberation and your text can't be understood by the peasantry (who aren't thick, they just don't have the background reading and seminars) then your actual aim is Trot wanking.

And on that note I still really need to read Pedagogy of the Oppressed.

Pedagogy of the Oppressed is a very good book because it simultaneously agrees with you wholeheartedly while demonstrating incredibly well how absolutely loving excruciating it is trying to read something that is written in the format it describes as being poo poo :v: Because either it was written for a very different audience or the author deliberately ignored all the suggestions he was making, possibly owing to the limitation of the format.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://twitter.com/willuminare/status/1256000148368474118

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Clement posted:

I think the gammon WWII mass-celebration of poppies, the military and all that jazz will only get worse, especially as the WWII veterans all start to go to the great mess hall in the sky.

Either that or as the gammons die, it'll start to recede. Who knows?

Didn’t all the gammons live their childhood through the collapse of the British empire? Not sure as it still isn’t taught in schools

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Twenty years or so ago people would have little flags with the English flag on that clipped onto car windows or sometimes the red and white flag hanging out of a window - but it was more associated with the working class. I think this changed a bit with the riots in 2011 and the following Keep calm and carry on merchandise and 'armies of volunteers' sweeping up the mess from riots, so now there's a group that prefer to use the Union Jack and go more for that midsomer murders aesthetic. Twee as gently caress.

It's an awful flag, 2 primary colours and white, the red diagonal lines are assymetrical, its one of the ugliest flags in the world I reckon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

This is the hottest of loving takes but I think this is true.

I feel like people are aware and disturbed that something is very, VERY wrong at the moment and has been for a long time, but they can't make the cognitive leap to understand why, so they do the things they're told to which they're told will make it better and they get perpetually more frustrated when it doesn't work until they're banging their bin with a cricket bat in a ritual to try to summon a better world.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Clement posted:

especially as the WWII veterans all start to go to the great mess hall in the sky.

Start? They've almost all gone already. My dad was just old enough to fight in the last two years of it. He'd be 95 now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not that hot, it's neoliberal bread and circuses, where there's no bread because everyone panic bought it and you have to make your own circus.

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

Oh dear me posted:

Start? They've almost all gone already. My dad was just old enough to fight in the last two years of it. He'd be 95 now.

Sorry, meant to say when they've *all* gone.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh dear me posted:

Yeah my granny was old enough to remember the Belfast Blitz - she was born in '31 or '32 I believe - and she died a few years ago in her mid-80s. It's not the WW1 situation with no remaining veterans yet, but we're getting there rapidly. Proabably it's a Harry Patch situation where the remaining WW2 vets are all that's been holding it back, and as they head on, more and more boomer weapons get their brains melted and start dressing as poppies.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1256334023250468864

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Twenty years or so ago people would have little flags with the English flag on that clipped onto car windows or sometimes the red and white flag hanging out of a window - but it was more associated with the working class. I think this changed a bit with the riots in 2011 and the following Keep calm and carry on merchandise and 'armies of volunteers' sweeping up the mess from riots, so now there's a group that prefer to use the Union Jack and go more for that midsomer murders aesthetic. Twee as gently caress.

It's an awful flag, 2 primary colours and white, the red diagonal lines are assymetrical, its one of the ugliest flags in the world I reckon.
The one without the diagonals is a far better flag.

There's also a white over red version for use in Scotland.

The use of the George Cross seems a comparatively recent thing outside of the RN White Ensign, look at the footage of the :britain:1966 World Cup Final:britain:, there isn't one in sight in the crowd shots.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

neoliberal bread and circuses,

Means tested bread credits and PFI circuses

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to team up with that guy to test my prototype piss burner.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Solidarity Fund update for April has been posted. Thanks to all who have donated - you're doing a ton of good for struggling comrades.

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - May 2020 :siren:

April saw the expected big drop-off in donations after the initial surge in March, but goons are still being generous and the fund is still looking healthy! We've made three payouts to folks in need this month, with a fourth currently processing which should go out today and will be included in next month's stats.

Obviously nobody was thinking "global pandemic and economic shutdown" when this fund was first conceived of, but it sure is coming in handy. Thanks so much, goons. :3:

Constitution | Record of Activity | Application Form | Email Us

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gently caress tom watson

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1256302353394864129?s=20

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah my granny was old enough to remember the Belfast Blitz - she was born in '31 or '32 I believe - and she died a few years ago in her mid-80s. It's not the WW1 situation with no remaining veterans yet, but we're getting there rapidly. Proabably it's a Harry Patch situation where the remaining WW2 vets are all that's been holding it back, and as they head on, more and more boomer weapons get their brains melted and start dressing as poppies.

Harry Patch dying was definitely the trigger to full-blown poppy fascism.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Clement posted:

Harry Patch dying was definitely the trigger to full-blown poppy fascism.

Aye, agreed. Wild how rapidly it went after he died.

Also, Praxcast: Appreciate that Euro episode last week, but also for the new ep how much time does Jamie spend coming up with the incredible similies he drops in each episode?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

I'm going to team up with that guy to test my prototype piss burner.

Taking "boils my piss" to a whole other level.

Ms Adequate posted:

It's been really noticeable in the last 20 years or so, and more frenzied every time it appears. And more empty ritual, than any kind of meaningful gesture at this point. A handy-dandy plaster to stifle any criticism of British military actions, and the complete abandonment of soldiers when they're no longer "useful".

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Eugh. I see the Daily Mail were able to win the first round in the legal battle with Meghan to strike out various things, including the dishonest motive in selective quoting and having an agenda. If they win the whole thing I will be very sad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

my mam who is a labour member and active on twitter apparently hadn't heard about the labour report so i just sent her it rip

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Isn't great leadership when you follow scientific advice and make the right decisions in advance of when they're needed, so you're not playing perpetual catchup? It's almost like a parody account. :argh:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I hate that I voted for the JC/TW ticket because I was taken in by the "TW will be a good media person and will bring the right wingers on board with the left leaning message". It is just painful to see him have any platform at all, considering what a complete bellend he is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Prince John posted:

Isn't great leadership when you follow scientific advice and make the right decisions in advance of when they're needed, so you're not playing perpetual catchup? It's almost like a parody account. :argh:

"Leadership" means spin.

Which means lying with a straight face and letting the media do its thing so everyone accepts lies as fact.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i voted for stella creasey because i went for the horny vote and she'd have been bad but nowhere near as destructive

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

endlessmonotony posted:

Hope is a lie. Never hope.

Do things because you find meaning in the act of doing them, not because you hope for a specific outcome.

No no no we're not going back to the hope is a lie poo poo and we're not doing some limp-dick liberal "maybe the real fight for human dignity is the friends we made along the way ~uwu~" cope either.

Like does anyone think from what we've seen of Starmer so far that he's a political master operator that will be able to maintain neoliberal hegemony even in spite of material conditions, or does he look pretty loving weak actually?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The strangest part of this video is someone with a Scottish accent having a St. George's cross tattoo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

big scary monsters posted:

The strangest part of this video is someone with a Scottish accent having a St. George's cross tattoo.

Means he slew a sasanach. Or a dragon. Or a Turkish saint. Either or.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vitamin P posted:

No no no we're not going back to the hope is a lie poo poo and we're not doing some limp-dick liberal "maybe the real fight for human dignity is the friends we made along the way ~uwu~" cope either.

Like does anyone think from what we've seen of Starmer so far that he's a political master operator that will be able to maintain neoliberal hegemony even in spite of material conditions, or does he look pretty loving weak actually?

Your second line kind of supports "hope is a lie", and monotony said nothing that was a limp-dick liberal cope, they said that you have to do good regardless of whether you expect it to succeed.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ms Adequate posted:

monotony said nothing that was a limp-dick liberal cope, they said that you have to do good regardless of whether you expect it to succeed.

They didn't even mention doing 'good' so get that right, it was explicitly prescriptive, the only positive value was 'personal meaning' and hope was presented as irrelevant.

Even your misinterpretation is dumb as hell. Activism and not giving up is extremely difficult, expecting people to somehow keep trying to do good without any hope that the better world they're working for is actually possible is just ridiculous. Do you think all the people that got politically activated because Corbynism suddenly proved that things don't have to keep getting worse were lying?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The BBC have gone all-in on fellating the Tory spin machine with the current covid-testing story.

Headline: "Target of over 100,000 daily tests reached!"
Initial summary paragraph: "Over 100,000 daily tests have been provided." (My emphasis)
Actual details, buried near the bottom: "Actually, only about 70,000 tests have been done. The rest are, er, in the post."
But how many people read that far?

Depressingly, it's a win-win for the Tories and all those who think the only crucial part is having the World Service act as an international propaganda outlet. They get a subservient state broadcaster that does what it's told because they have their boot on its financial neck; and its reputation as an impartial, quality source of news is torpedoed amongst voters they don't like, meaning said voters are less likely to defend it when the next inevitable round of privatisation talks come.

Edit: ha, they've already amended the subhead on the main online page to note the difference between 'tests done' and 'tests sent out'. Bit late though, chaps.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vitamin P posted:

They didn't even mention doing 'good' so get that right, it was explicitly prescriptive, the only positive value was 'personal meaning' and hope was presented as irrelevant.

Even your misinterpretation is dumb as hell. Activism and not giving up is extremely difficult, expecting people to somehow keep trying to do good without any hope that the better world they're working for is actually possible is just ridiculous. Do you think all the people that got politically activated because Corbynism suddenly proved that things don't have to keep getting worse were lying?

No I get that the perception of success begats more support, but Corbyn is gone now and the left is somewhere between adrift and smashed to pieces, so if you want to keep trying to do good you have to be ready for it to loving suck and have no guarantees of success, and to be ready to try anyway.