Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Good thing that since the events of the first game things improve enough that full equiped gyms and prom dances are in reach of large groups of the population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Right, it plays those themes in its story, and then shits all over them in its gameplay and set pieces.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stux posted:

agreed its extremely unrealistic, might as well make up a group of humans who during a global pandemic completely refuse to take protective measures and protest in favor of doing things that will objectively make things worse and cause people to get sick and die. it would be unbelievable that humans would act in such a pointless and thoughtless way.

*looks in a mirror*

Are we... the Last of Us? :confused:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

just imagine not understanding the blunt force trauma that is the extremely clear themes of "the last of us", some real empty skull with a peanut rolling around posters

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Drinking my protein shake while i prepare myself to bench press 500 lbs

mmmm maybe hacking that poor girl brain wasnt necessary

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stux posted:

just imagine not understanding the blunt force trauma that is the extremely clear themes of "the last of us", some real empty skull with a peanut rolling around posters

the tummyfeels are bad

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Zeta Acosta posted:

Good thing that since the events of the first game things improve enough that full equiped gyms and prom dances are in reach of large groups of the population

You mean the first game that has entire cities still going? With possibly millions of inhabitants?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Ham posted:

You mean the first game that has entire cities still going? With possibly millions of inhabitants?

yeah that one, the last of us

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I have not read about any of this.

Uncharted 4 was in 2016 my dude. Not everyone needs to have the same perspective as you, and for me, some of it is personal because I have run into quite a few toxic racist gamers. I also see some of that bullshit swelling up with this game.

Uncharted 4 was in development from 2011 to 2016, it had a major rewrite and rescoping in 2014 when Amy left the company for unspecified reasons.

As a result, Sam Drake's previous role as the main antagonist alongside Rafe was adjusted so that he became one of Nate's new companions and Nadine was written into the story as Sam's replacement on the villain side.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

*looks in a mirror*

they were too subtle with it i think, they shouldve had joel turn around and barrel down the camera and say loudly and slowly what was happening after every cutscene

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Imagine passionately defending a game written by someone who wants to work in Hollywood but knows he isn't talented enough lol.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

Like everything else I've said, you can disagree. I know it's a big Gamer things to take critique of something people like as a personal attack, but it's really not. If you like it, that's cool. Personally, I've played a lot of games and heard a lot of game music and TLoU's soundtrack just doesn't have character to it.

Nah I really don’t care for owns like you say but if you’re going to post essays in a TLOU thread, might as well know what you are talking about?

Anyway regarding the music its very subdued throughout the game so I’m not surprised it would not leave a strong impression but the couple of pieces that play during key moments like the giraffe scene are very much recognisable:

https://youtu.be/pMjdl_uYXgE

Again if it didn’t work on you that’s fine but I wouldn’t call it generic. :shrug:

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Zeta Acosta posted:

yeah that one, the last of us

Guess I gotta visit a gym before the apocalypse then!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I gotta say the weird fixation people have on Abby's physique is genuinely getting pretty creepy and is getting towards "How dare woman be implausibly buff instead of small and soft-featured?"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Imagine passionately defending a game written by someone who wants to work in Hollywood but knows he isn't talented enough lol.

im very passionate about "game not anywhere even close to the best games ive played"

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I'm Mario and the first time I stomped a goomba I was changed....

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
fwiw I'd be similarly confused by having a male character that buff in this pretty grounded setting, too. It's weird to have a character with a bodybuilder's physique in this setting, period, and I'm not sure how or why they made that choice.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ImpAtom posted:

I gotta say the weird fixation people have on Abby's physique is genuinely getting pretty creepy and is getting towards "How dare woman be implausibly buff instead of small and soft-featured?"

The comments about her physique/gym poo poo are tame compared to the abhorrent poo poo that's out there regarding gender and sexuality in the game. Thankfully not on here.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I saved peach but really what was it for? She will just be kidnapped again...such is my struggle....

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

basically every random guy in tlou1 is hollywood buff

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

I brutally killed bowser but what does it suggest about my character....change my name to big butt Bowser please

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Stux posted:

im very passionate about "game not anywhere even close to the best games ive played"

Why be so passionate about a game that's not even close to one of the best games you've played? I love Deadly Premonition but if someone were to call the gameplay poo poo I'd agree with them, and if someone criticized the story or characters I wouldn't blow a gasket over it.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Why be so passionate about a game that's not even close to one of the best games you've played? I love Deadly Premonition but if someone were to call the gameplay poo poo I'd agree with them, and if someone criticized the story or characters I wouldn't blow a gasket over it.

Why does it bother you that we're engaging in a friendly discussion, friend? Shitposts are good for the soul.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

*looks in a mirror*

I sure loving hope so. :v:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Zeta Acosta posted:

im thinking more about the narrative significance of a woman beating the poo poo out of two teens in graphic detail and almost killing them and not the physical representation of canon female bodies in videogames

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 2, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

i find it funny when people cant understand simple concepts. im like the joker in this way and its how i get my "kicks".

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Zeta Acosta posted:

spoiler poo poo

quote:

Do!
- Post spoilers using the [Spoiler] tag.

Thread is lovely enough without spoiling people on purpose.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
edited because aparently you cant post spoilers in the spoilers thread

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012

Ham posted:

Why does it bother you that we're engaging in a friendly discussion, friend? Shitposts are good for the soul.

I'm just surprised there are so many fans of TLOU on here tbh.

Stux posted:

i find it funny when people cant understand simple concepts. im like the joker in this way and its how i get my "kicks".

Fair enough, idk if there's been as much misunderstanding as you think there has been but I'm enjoying reading the shitposts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

fwiw I'd be similarly confused by having a male character that buff in this pretty grounded setting, too. It's weird to have a character with a bodybuilder's physique in this setting, period, and I'm not sure how or why they made that choice.

I would believe this significantly more if you ever heard these comments about implausibly buff dudes who exist in pretty much every setting. Like Joel isn't quite as built as Abby but he's still in basically perfect physical shape with a body you'd need to actively work towards for a guy who is living in a lovely hellhole with minimal food.

It comes across as very "I can't suspend my disbelief that a woman could be buff as hell in the post apocalypse" in a genre where huge beefy dudes in the post apocalypse is absurdly common and pretty much every member of the cast looks like a Hollywood actor with some dirt smeared on their faces.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

It was a significant critical and sales success, it'd be more surprising if there weren't as many fans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

TLOU was a massive success on every measurable level. Don't mistake internet curmudgeons for actual public opinion on the game. There is a tremendous amount of hype towards TLOU2 and it will most likely sell absurdly well like every Naughty Dog game does.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Obviously it was a huge sales hit but I'm still surprised people on video games forum about videogames are excited about spending $60 USD for a game that is 25% occasional QTEs, 'stealth' sections, and simplistic puzzles and 75% watching schlock that would make a CBS procedural look like Shakespeare.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Not a surprise. Just look at Star Citizen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Obviously it was a huge sales hit but I'm still surprised people on video games forum about videogames are excited about spending $60 USD for a game that is 25% occasional QTEs, 'stealth' sections, and simplistic puzzles and 75% watching schlock that would make a CBS procedural look like Shakespeare.

Because big budget experience games like this aren't that frequent and straight up horror games even less so.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

It's possible a significant number of people don't feel the same about the game as you do. Just spitballing though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Truly it is very shocking that people like a thing, person who spent $60 on a game where you walk around a deserted island collecting bugs and flowers.

Trying to appear Smarter Than People Who Like A Thing by being dismissively reductive about it never actually works. TLOU is a flawed game and pretty massively overhyped but acting shocked that people enjoyed a thing that was in fact very popular is pretty dumb.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is the Last of Us a horror game though just because it has zombies?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gologle posted:

Yes. The genre is horror. It's a scary game. Maybe it is also a drama game. Maybe it is also a stealth game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Not just because it has zombies but yeah, it's pretty blatantly structured as a horror story, with a lot of areas designed to evoke fear or disgust or both. There's honestly not a huge difference between TLOU and say Resident Evil 2 Remake in terms of tone and style.