Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xelkelvos posted:

Stun vs. Disorient is pretty much a situational thing, also because Stun may only just stop one action leaving the enemy free to use their second action to do whatever it is they were gonna do. It's strictly better than a Ceasefire Grenade, but those are basically the most basic tool for delaying enemies. AP rounds are generally good though.

I just got some Acid ammo and an Acid grenade which are probably gonna get permanent slots on my team. Also, I've basically permanently benched Cherub since being able to delete enemies faster/better is worth more than preventing bad things from enemies by the mid to late game.

Same, Cherub was good early on but he really wasn't able to keep up damage-wise. He's probably better on higher difficulties when you can't just delete guys though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Same, Cherub was good early on but he really wasn't able to keep up damage-wise. He's probably better on higher difficulties when you can't just delete guys though

His personal damage isn't great but once you hit max level with him, you get supercharge which is insanely powerful.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I just got the xcom2 collection after playing vanilla for free for a few days. Is there a way to get the cosmetics from the alient hunter dlc without actually adding the special aliens to the game?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ok, so I preordered CS the moment I heard about it and went in 100% blind. I spent the last 2 days binging it and playing from start to finish and aside from annoying crashing issues that seem 100% related to the in-game UI, I've loved it.

It's a really great and refreshing take on the series, I love the breach mechanic and while I've not played on impossible difficulty yet(will do an iron man run after a few patches as is normal with xcom) I had an absolute blast (heh).

Really looking forward to playing again with a different squad too, this play though i mostly used Godmother and Claymore to destroy everything with Terminal for back up, feeding extra turns and moves whenever possible. The 4th slot was almost not needed and was mainly used just messing about with 3-4 other dudes to get a feel for how they play.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah. Dragging out the game that long isn't actually fun.

And more importantly lmao get a load of this galaxy brain advocating for NOT rescuing Floyd Tesseract.

But what if I have untreated trauma from rushing the sacred coil endgame as my first investigation?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I apply Godmother's Overtime at the end of an encounter, can I use it two turns later in the next encounter?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So Blueblood with venom rounds and Fanfire paired with Torque+talon rounds + her skill that gives +50% crit to poisoned enemies is pretty nuts.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

His personal damage isn't great but once you hit max level with him, you get supercharge which is insanely powerful.

Yeah. Cherub is in a weird spot with his power curve as the game progresses, but he's outright incredible at the end. Supercharge and return fire mean I can just make him shield himself, get shot, and suddenly make the entire rest of my team hit astonishingly hard against everything.

I almost want to go back to my Sacred Coil boss fight (I did them first) and cheat in a Supercharge Cherub just to see if he can turn it from "aaaaa" to complete cakewalk. My bet is yes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

He's in the support category alongside Shelter in that their own damage output isn't that great (further stymied by using pistols). Everyone's Max level ability is fairly good to some degree, but getting there is a big issue and someone with a strong mid-level upgrade compared to their capstone is better than their reverse.

Edit: Being able to run into Breaches and get shot at without taking damage is definitely nice, though

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Serephina posted:

*Never* do purple story-rush missions. Anything that speeds up the game clock is a trap, as you get less time to research stuff and less weekly income. The tools to lower unrest & anarchy are more than capable of floating you forever if they allowed for it.

It's actually academic. You can stall the mission after it's revealed for a few days before the game says it's critical and must be done. Which, if you don't do the mission, happens pretty much immediately. I do the story-rush missions because they themselves tend to lower unrest and help keep a lid on things.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anyone know what the Every Timeline, "Complete all versions of each Faction's Takedown mission over multiple campaigns." achievement means? The Takedown missions is the last mission where you fight the bosses of the factions but AFAICT there's only been one choice. Do they mean the two different Dark events that you can choose alters the Takedown mission? I can't remember which ones I chose so will it tell me I've done one or the other?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyone know what the Every Timeline, "Complete all versions of each Faction's Takedown mission over multiple campaigns." achievement means? The Takedown missions is the last mission where you fight the bosses of the factions but AFAICT there's only been one choice. Do they mean the two different Dark events that you can choose alters the Takedown mission? I can't remember which ones I chose so will it tell me I've done one or the other?

You get different final missions for each faction depending on what order you do them in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Apparently there's like five stages for each faction Takedown and you do stages 1-3 for whichever faction you do first, 2-4 for the second one and 3-5 for the third one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
D'awwww... Shelter has a crush on Zephyr :3:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah the cheevo means you have to finish the game at least 3 times.

I'm missing sacred>progeny>Phoenix. I've done the other combinations already.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Strong Sauce posted:

I've now finished the game 3 times, each faction in a different spot (1st, 2nd and 3rd), chosen different dark events for each, and all 3 factions are at 91% completion. I don't know what's going on.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Perhaps part of the parameters are "take leader alive/kill leader", as well?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You get different final missions for each faction depending on what order you do them in.

yeah so... is this all 6 permutations of the ordering or what?

GuavaMoment posted:

I've now finished the game 3 times, each faction in a different spot (1st, 2nd and 3rd), chosen different dark events for each, and all 3 factions are at 91% completion. I don't know what's going on.

sorry, what is at 91% completion? is there someplace to look at that?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Looking at it just now, it's up to 35.4%, second to the one you get for completing the tutorial which is 91.9%. The roughtly means that ~8.1% of owners haven't even cracked open the game and ~56.3% have played, but haven't reached the rough halfway point. Do note that the game is fairly new too. It's only one week old.

:shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah so... is this all 6 permutations of the ordering or what?

When you pick a new squad mate the option that shows you guns and squad mates you haven't used also shows total completion of all 3 factions

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Strong Sauce posted:

Once you beat the game you can look at "meta content" while choosing which factions to go after, and while in the scav market.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GuavaMoment posted:

Once you beat the game you can look at "meta content" while choosing which factions to go after, and while in the scav market.

It's also a button during the agent-picking screen when you start a New Game without the tutorial.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Impossible prohibits the tutorial, so someone who started and stuck with impossible would produce that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am too dumb to deal with reinforcements effectively while evacing and it's singlehandedly ruining CS for me

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xelkelvos posted:

Looking at it just now, it's up to 35.4%, second to the one you get for completing the tutorial which is 91.9%. The roughtly means that ~8.1% of owners haven't even cracked open the game and ~56.3% have played, but haven't reached the rough halfway point. Do note that the game is fairly new too. It's only one week old.

This pretty standard for games though. Lots of people don't actually play much of every game they buy.

Hwurmp posted:

I am too dumb to deal with reinforcements effectively while evacing and it's singlehandedly ruining CS for me

In most situations the best approach to reinforcements is to completely ignore them. The majority of map objectives can be completed very quickly and you can usually evac when the first wave spawns and only get shot at like, twice. Which sounds bad but taking some fire on an otherwise healthy soldier really isn't a big deal in CS.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Evac is the one mechanic I think doesn't work with interleaved turns, especially on Impossible where it usually ends up with you having to hope the last two guys can dodge/tank five shots in a row.

It wouldn't be to hard to fix in XCOM 3 though. You could just have a larger "evac zone" complete with cover where the goal is to move your entire squad in, at which point the skyranger picks them up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Evac is definitely the weakest part of this game mechanically to me. The fact that units that are bleeding out are automatically counted as evac'd when you abandon them in a room full of bloodthirsty aliens is just stupid.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

If you're intending to leave units out of cover (where they can be crit easily). Regen weave, or +1 armor weave, or mach weave?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Internet Kraken posted:

Evac is definitely the weakest part of this game mechanically to me. The fact that units that are bleeding out are automatically counted as evac'd when you abandon them in a room full of bloodthirsty aliens is just stupid.

The regular cops are on the scene and do cleanup after the mission ends

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I dunno, on Normal at least I've had zero issues with just methodically retreating towards the exit while shooting/overwatching at the incoming enemies, then leaving when there is an opportunity for everyone to leave at once.

Also, don't forget you can just move your dudes to the Evac zone and end their turn without pressing the Evac button, then press it during any of your other agents' turns.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

GuavaMoment posted:

FoolyCharged posted:

When you pick a new squad mate the option that shows you guns and squad mates you haven't used also shows total completion of all 3 factions

thanks. have only beat it once and haven't gone through a second playthrough.

Microcline posted:

Evac is the one mechanic I think doesn't work with interleaved turns, especially on Impossible where it usually ends up with you having to hope the last two guys can dodge/tank five shots in a row.

It wouldn't be to hard to fix in XCOM 3 though. You could just have a larger "evac zone" complete with cover where the goal is to move your entire squad in, at which point the skyranger picks them up.

i didn't have any trouble with evac since i would just move towards the evac zone while also taking shots at any guys within range. this is on normal though since i haven't done an impossible run..

feel like overwatch has been completely taken out of the game in terms of usefulness. i skipped out on guardian for terminal because i think i can count on my fingers how often i used overwatch. and i think godmother had some mechanic where she shot at people near her that was more useful. feel like the interleaved turns make for less usage for overwatch, which is fine since i liked the interleaved turns concept better.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The regular cops are on the scene and do cleanup after the mission ends

That would not save my unit from the bloodthirsty berserker that just beat them into a pulp.

I get that its a gameplay concession, its just one that doesn't really work naratively or mechanically. The evacs where everyone has to be standing in the same place for the encounter to end work a lot better.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Obviously they send in the ambulance gremlin and tell the snipers to fire. They can do this but they're too dumb to prevent reinforcements in the first place

It's sorta weird enemies don't try to take normal civilians hostage

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lore question: I thought that Mutons were sexually dimorphic and that Berserkers the female of the species and that the soldier-type enemies were the male. Was this rectonned in CS or were 'Zerkers always just some bioengineering experiment.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I get that its a gameplay concession, its just one that doesn't really work naratively or mechanically. The evacs where everyone has to be standing in the same place for the encounter to end work a lot better.

I'd agree. I think the method that would make it make more sense is if they SHOWED the regular cops (and buddy androids) storming in to counter the reinforcements, as soon as YOU evac.

A sort of narrative 'oh hey, thanks XCOPS, , now that the beat patrol is here we're taking over, good job'.

Tldr: Enemy gets reinforcements, but you get allies. 1 evac = 1 fresh nameless body (or android), leading to a sense of story and cleanup as you get the job done and leave, but without 'punishing' the player with being swarmed for doing so.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I thought that was basically the deal except also the ethereals pushed it way too far on purpose

Sorta like how in some species the female is the bigger tougher one and they just cranked that poo poo up to 11 by injecting andrenochrome and space pcp or whatever

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TheParadigm posted:

If you're intending to leave units out of cover (where they can be crit easily). Regen weave, or +1 armor weave, or mach weave?

Most people agree the mach weave is the best in all circumstances.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I don’t have all the pieces for this, yet, but I think one of the most powerful end game comps is Claymore, Blueblood, Patchwork and Torque.

Claymore shredding and doing damage all over the map. Blueblood shooting everything on the map. And if anything is left, Patchwork can run over via Subdue, electrocute them to death before her action is finished, regain all her actions and do it again. (It's ironic how well Claymore and Patchwork synergize and weird that the person who lost most of her limbs can be the most mobile damage dealer in the game.)

Torque is there to pull someone into a better position and give them a free action with tongue pull since Claymore and Blueblood are turrets who don’t wanna move. She can also bring the Motile Grenade to give some more actions.

Although it’s funny that Claymore gets two uses of the Motile Grenades on top of his two uses of standard grenades.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

Most people agree the mach weave is the best in all circumstances.

Unless there's high ground, maybe. Enemies don't usually have good enough aim for it to come up normally, but shots with 100% to hit will never graze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mach Weave all day every day. Nothing else comes close to the effective HP gain from turning 50% of hits into grazes.

Minor caveat: dodge is ineffective against crits, so watch for flanking attacks... though that hardly ever happens in this game, since "pods" are pretty much always directly in front of you.