Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I did a 7lb shoulder on the Traegar last weekend, and it took about 12 hours at 250 (wrapped in foil for the last 4). It was pretty good but not great, I think next time I'll go lower and slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

bird with big dick posted:

Doing a brisket for the first time in probably a year. I think this is the first time I've left the pit and the meat probes in this long so it's kind of interesting to watch them cool off. The BGE is cooling off a little faster than I would have guessed probably.

It's also the first time I've crutched and probably not ideal since the stall had ended when I did it, but I was asleep before then so whaddya gonna do.

https://myflameboss.com/cooks/902158

How’d it turn out? I have this irrational fear that my brisket is going to go from great on my WSM to terrible on my new BGE. Let me explain my thinking: I see so many forum posts (reddit, eggheads, etc) talking about messed up brisket in a BGE. A small thought in my head is “what if it just cooks differently than a WSM?” Another part of me thinks “hey, the BGE is so prolific that most of these guys tried it without knowing how to.” Hoping the second.

Doing some steaks now, dinner plate beef short ribs tomorrow. Will post some pictures of the journey tomorrow.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

nwin posted:

I’m interested. Got a recipe and any tweaks you would do next time?

I used the recipe from Project Smoke.

For the rub, I ground down the peppercorns and coriander seeds in my pepper mill on its finest setting, which took forever but I like my spices super fine-ground. Then when I smoked it, I filled my drip pan with dark beer.

It tastes amazing, but next time I might add a little paprika and lots of minced garlic to the rub because garlic rules. Maybe throw a chili pepper or two into the brine for a little zip.

Thanks! :D

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Bob A Feet posted:

I have this irrational fear that my brisket is going to go from great on my WSM to terrible on my new BGE. Let me explain my thinking: I see so many forum posts (reddit, eggheads, etc) talking about messed up brisket in a BGE. A small thought in my head is “what if it just cooks differently than a WSM?” Another part of me thinks “hey, the BGE is so prolific that most of these guys tried it without knowing how to.” Hoping the second.

do brisket on the bge at 225. if I try to do it at 275+, the bottom gets horrifically burnt, even with the offsetter plate. i prefer to cook at that temp anyway so it’s no big deal for me, but if I gently caress up and let the fire get too hot, I usually have to just mentally write off the bottom 1/4” of the packer and cut it off when serving.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

How do you manage that? Turn it on at 10 pm and go to bed?

Yup! And make sure to refill your hopper when you put it on and check it in the morning.

e: I usually leave it sit in the fridge with salt on it for 24h prior to cooking. Add defrosting time in the fridge, my pork shoulders need planned about a week in advance.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well at 6h20m it was at 203 so I pulled it and it turned out great. Didn't even have to crutch it.

I love this little mini smoker :3:

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
So a tree decided to be bad to my home and my grills in what one might call Grillpocolypse 2020. Lost my best bud the Kamado among others. In response I purchased a thing. Perhaps the nicest thing I own other than my house. Humphrey's Battle Box. She is a tank. Every bit as lovely inside and out. No more grill purchases after... I swear it!

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 2, 2020

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I'm doing my first smoke ever on a new WSM (14")

Heres my plan:

1. Cover pork butt with mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika.
2. Light charcoal and add apple wood chunks (how many?)
3. Fill water pan
4. Add pork butt @ 275
5. spritz every hour after 3 hours
6. wait for fat cap to split - then wrap
7. cook until internal temp ~203-205.

Any tips for a beginner?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

3-4 fist sized chunks is plenty.

Don’t spritz at all until the bark is set. Also, spritzing will make it take longer due to evaporative cooling. Alternately don’t spritz at all ever, it’ll come out good.

Relatedly resist the urge to micromanage. Let it cook. Don’t touch it for at least six hours, other than adjusting heat if needed.

Don’t try and guess when you’re wrapping by looking at something like the fat cap splitting - do it by temperature. When your meat stalls (typically 150-160) you wrap to get past the stall. If you don’t have a thermometer, you really should get one, but if you’re pulling at 203 you presumably have one.

Also you don’t have to wrap. It’ll take a little longer to cook but it’ll come out with better bark for your trouble.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

5436 posted:

Heres my plan:

3. Fill water pan
4. Add pork butt @ 275

Any tips for a beginner?

I love brown sugar in my rubs for pork. That’s the joy of doing this though, do it your way this time, try something new next time. Expect a huge temperature drop when you add the meat. Don’t sweat it, the cold cube of meat is blocking all the heat from the fire. I’d add a few big chunks of apple. A few on top, a few in the middle of your charcoal layer, and a few add the bottom. Speaking of charcoal, look up the Minion Method for efficiently lighting charcoal.

For the 14.5” WSM, have some charcoal ready to add at the 5-6 hour mark.

If you’re going to wrap, I’d do it whenever it stalls at a temp for more than a few hours. I just don’t know when the fat cap splits.

It’s going to be hard to not do this, but just relax. Pork is super forgiving to smoke. Have fun!

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Kalman posted:

3-4 fist sized chunks is plenty.

Don’t spritz at all until the bark is set. Also, spritzing will make it take longer due to evaporative cooling. Alternately don’t spritz at all ever, it’ll come out good.

Relatedly resist the urge to micromanage. Let it cook. Don’t touch it for at least six hours, other than adjusting heat if needed.

Don’t try and guess when you’re wrapping by looking at something like the fat cap splitting - do it by temperature. When your meat stalls (typically 150-160) you wrap to get past the stall. If you don’t have a thermometer, you really should get one, but if you’re pulling at 203 you presumably have one.

Also you don’t have to wrap. It’ll take a little longer to cook but it’ll come out with better bark for your trouble.

I got the thermoworks smoke! thanks for the tips. So wrapping is just to speed it up? I'm not in a hurry so I'd prefer a perfect bark.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

5436 posted:

Heres my plan:

3. Fill water pan
4. Add pork butt @ 275

Any tips for a beginner?
Why spritz at all? It seems counterproductive; the smoker just has to boil the water you're spritzing with, which steams the surface of your meat instead of smoking it at the 275 (and getting the Maillard reactions you're looking for) you're using.

The whole struggle in low and slow smoking is having the heat move into the meat (slightly, at least) faster than the moisture can move out. Grilling hot, you might burn your steaks or burgers before the inside is done, so sometimes you spritz, but that won't be the case on a smoke; the outside essentially never burns.

edit: you get the best bark leaving it unwrapped, and disturbing the butt at little as possible during the smoke. Wrapping speeds up the cook, but you end up with softer bark.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Infinite Karma posted:

Why spritz at all? It seems counterproductive; the smoker just has to boil the water you're spritzing with, which steams the surface of your meat instead of smoking it at the 275 (and getting the Maillard reactions you're looking for) you're using.

The whole struggle in low and slow smoking is having the heat move into the meat (slightly, at least) faster than the moisture can move out. Grilling hot, you might burn your steaks or burgers before the inside is done, so sometimes you spritz, but that won't be the case on a smoke; the outside essentially never burns.

edit: you get the best bark leaving it unwrapped, and disturbing the butt at little as possible during the smoke. Wrapping speeds up the cook, but you end up with softer bark.

I was following Aaron Franklins Masterclass.

Should I go lower on the temp then?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Some people like a softer bark, and for them wrapping is the correct choice.

Those people are objectively wrong, of course.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Kalman posted:

Some people like a softer bark, and for them wrapping is the correct choice.

Those people are objectively wrong, of course.

I love me some loving bark!!!!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yup! And make sure to refill your hopper when you put it on and check it in the morning.

e: I usually leave it sit in the fridge with salt on it for 24h prior to cooking. Add defrosting time in the fridge, my pork shoulders need planned about a week in advance.

Louisiana Grills rates mine as holding 7 hours of fuel at sub 250. I'm thinking of just cutting the pork in half. Two 4.5 lb porks should cook in 10 hours, right?

Edit: put the whole thing in at 9 pm.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 2, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I just bought two big tritips at costco. I'd like to make one or more of them Santa Maria style.

I have a pellet smoker. Any recommendations on recipes for my tritips?

I’ve smoked and finished on high heat, but they come out just as good in dual zone direct/indirect grilling. Not enough stuff isn’t he meat to break down over many hours in that cut, so dual zone gives a Smokey enough flavour.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

5436 posted:

Heres my plan:

3. Fill water pan
4. Add pork butt @ 275

Any tips for a beginner?

WSM 14 was my first smoker! 275F is a solid pork butt temp. If anything I'd run 250F and ramp toward the end to speed it up if you need. Realistically pork butt does fine from 225 - 300F. Higher temps usually consume more fuel and tend to take less smoke in the process. Fuel consumption is bit of an issue in the WSM 14 for a long cook. I'd recommend adding an initial bit of wood and keep a bit of wood + charcoal on standby. Add a bit of wood in the first hour or so when the initial wood has burned off. Specifically add the wood early since that's when the smoke tends to 'stick' so to speak. Obviously keep the fuel added as needed which is difficult to determine, but letting it get too low is the real enemy of keeping things on rails. The downfall of the efficient 14 inch is that it lacks fuel space. If you're on top of adding it it's not a problem. The splitting fat cap isn't something I've heard of nor ever cared about. If you wanna follow it do so, but it's never been an issue. Pork is quite forgiving on going a bit over temp. 205-210F is prefect for pulled pork. Stop at a lower temp if you want sliced pork. I'd just stick with treating it right and the final temp. Wrap if you wanna speed it up, don't if you don't mind waiting. Patience is the key with all this, but accelerated patience with foil also work so long as you know your end point.

Happy smoking. WSM 14 is a beast that can do a lot for a little.

If you ever need another WSM resource I highly recommend 2 things: YT channel T-Roy cooks &v Weber Bulletin Forums & site. In general YT is a stupid good resource for WSM cooking if you can sift through the not-so-great advice. Hard to tell initially. Will resolve in time.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 2, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FogHelmut posted:

Louisiana Grills rates mine as holding 7 hours of fuel at sub 250. I'm thinking of just cutting the pork in half. Two 4.5 lb porks should cook in 10 hours, right?

Edit: put the whole thing in at 9 pm.

Yeah, should be fine. Did the halfsie route on around an 8-9 pounder, tossed it on around 10 am and it was ready for a late dinner. I think I had the cooker going around 240-250 at the time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I threw it in whole last night, meat temp is 172 after 9 hours at 220.

Also good news: The grill is advertised using at 2 lbs of pellets per hour under 250 degrees, giving a max runtime of 7 hours, but there was plenty of fuel left when my wife went to top it off. She is pregnant so she's up 10 times a night to pee, so she was able to check on it.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
In my experience, spritzing a butt will prolong the stall indefinitely if you keep it up. Since the stall is the internal moisture coming to the surface and evaporating, adding more will cause it to never end (I've done this and an 8lb butt was on for almost 16 hours without going passed 180, I finally gave up and pulled it and it was dry as poo poo). Just leave the butt on there, close the top, and leave it alone. Also, butts generate so much juice on their own there's no need to spritz.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I’ve ever spritzed is ribs, and I used fresh squeezed apple cider. Since it contains tons of sugar I’m assuming that it made an actual difference in flavor for the final product. Don’t think I would spritz a pork butt.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hit 200 just under 12 hours. I guess it ended up around 8 lb after removing the skin and trimming some fat.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hello smokers. I currently have a bit of pork shoulder on the grill, I was hoping to have a really easy time while this thing cooks but in fact am having an annoying time with a temperature controller. The grill is a kamado joe classic and the controller is an iKamand v2 - basically the controller software doesn't work, it requires a connection to the internet but it "lost connection" and can't be recovered. Piece of poo poo.

Anyway the pork has a paprika/ cayenne/ cumin/ rosemary/ brown sugar/ salt rub on it, and the smoke is from a lump of beech. I read people comparing prices of meat a few pages back, for comparison here in Switzerland meat is ludicrously expensive and this pork shoulder was 20 CHF/kilo (1 CHF = 1 USD). Beef entrecote or fillet can be 100 CHF/kilo. The meat is at least really nice quality and from swiss farms, and animal welfare is good.

The grill is currently a bit warmer than I wanted at 130C (260F) since I switched out the controller but gradually coming down. The plan was to do it at 250F.

I think the issue with the ikamand is that it's controlled via a central server rather than on the machine itself. It's a pretty neat device and worked well before, but it's completely pointless if the loving thing crashes.

vv wow that looks fantastic

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 2, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pulled it in a new pan. Should I have kept that grease?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've tricked the iKamand controller into connecting through my phone as a hotspot and also running the app off it and it seems to have unfucked itself somewhat. So I decided to stick it back on the BBQ, and it decided to run its fan at 100% speed for a few minutes so the grill is now too hot.

But at least it's working. drat that was frustrating. Pork is looking good when I stuck in the temperature probe, current internal temp 181 F.

I've made a batch of the Pitt Cue recipe Mother Sauce which has been great on the pork before: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/perfect-pickle-sauce-recipe-pitt-cue-co
We have made some nice coleslaw, roast potatoes and salad.
And got a bottle of this stuff which is fantastic https://www.lilliesq.com/shop/sauces/gold/

E: end product turned out nicely. I wanted to get it to about 200 F internal temperature but it was getting late so came off at 191. Delicious and lots left over for sandwiches the next couple of days.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 2, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I’ll have some more pictures later after I demolish these.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you rotated that picture 90 degrees CW, I think you’re on to something

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hed posted:

If you rotated that picture 90 degrees CW, I think you’re on to something

Goddamit I was going to make the same joke :xd:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Hahaha yeah, the bark ended up looking most turd like

A journey in pictures. 3.5lb dinner plate cut of short ribs trimmed down to probably 2.5-3 lbs. seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper. Smoke went super smooth. I’ve been grilling on the BGE for a few days but hadn’t smoked yet. It has a ceramic stone to deflect the heat form the charcoal (akin to the water bowl in the WSM). After putting that on there and dialing in the vent, I didn’t have to make a single adjustment. Took it to ~203 internal where my probe was and did a few probe tests for tenderness in other places. Great bark and outstanding flavor.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
God I love beef ribs. I wish you could get racks anywhere around here. I can only really buy them individually cut shortways in packs of like 3-5. It's weird. (Not that they're not good that way)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I still haven’t found beef ribs that aren’t marbled with so much fat that any meat on them is either inedible or impossible to find.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I just saw an update on the thermoworks site saying the signals/billows latest FW update includes open lid detection.

I wonder if I was unplugging the fan for nothing last time I used it.

I will have to fire it up again and test it to see how effective it is.

Thermoworks posted:

Open Lid Detection knows when the smoker lid has opened and helps Billows return the smoker to your set temp much quicker. It is triggered by a sudden drop of 10° F within 15 seconds. If the lid is found to be "open" and the temperature drops, Billows will stop blowing for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes' time, the fan will resume normal operation.

*Smoker temperature needs to be at least 115°F (47°C) for open lid detection

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 3, 2020

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Pulled it in a new pan. Should I have kept that grease?
I feel that you already know the answer.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Dango Bango posted:

Goddamit I was going to make the same joke :xd:

E:F,B!

Even the ring is there. (smoke ring)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I. M. Gei posted:

I still haven’t found beef ribs that aren’t marbled with so much fat that any meat on them is either inedible or impossible to find.

Costco bone in ones used to be awesome, with plenty of meat. I can rarely find them in stock now, and when I do they appear to be the remains after the bulk of the meat has been cut off for the boneless packs. That said, the boneless packs are decent, if you don’t mind not having the bones.

One thing about beef ribs, For the life of me I cannot manage to get a shred of flavor from red wine marinade to “stick”. I have marinaded for days, braised in it, puddled in it for my 72 hour SV, and while I get a nice smoke flavor from the Keg smoke part, the wine flavor never remains. These days I settle for a reduction sauce over top at the end.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 3, 2020

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I just got a bbq guru and a slow n sear and I’m about to make my first brisket soon, but I’m concerned about the risks of fire and letting it run overnight. Any tips or precautions I should know about to make me feel safer letting it keep running unattended?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

inferis posted:

I just got a bbq guru and a slow n sear and I’m about to make my first brisket soon, but I’m concerned about the risks of fire and letting it run overnight. Any tips or precautions I should know about to make me feel safer letting it keep running unattended?

Well, don't have it close to your house or oily rags and lighter fluid.

You'll find the opposite, you will be worried that it is actually staying at temp.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MES 30C on sale at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbuilt-MES-30C-Electric-Smoker/410937596

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Everybody's meat looks so good in this thread!

Did my first brisket in the new smoker. Also smoked 3 Baby Back Ribs & 2 Spatchcocked chickens for some other folks. Overall it the grill did well throughout the day with minimal need for adjustments. At this point I'm not using a fan because I don't yet have an adapter so whats shown here is just through vent control. Everything turned out nice in the end. Still learning the grill's quirks such as the heat gradient inside.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 3, 2020