Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

relax-o-vision posted:

He should, but you and I both know he isn't going to drop out. The president in 2021 will be a rapist, and taking a principled stand will do nothing to prevent that.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Probably Magic posted:

I honestly feel that Donald Trump is fait accompli, and if he's not, then Joe Biden is fait accompli. At this point, I feel the election slate and maybe even the electorate itself doesn't represent me at all. Two rapists who want to deny me healthcare? My life will be similarly lovely under either president. There is more to me, of course, like the border situation, but Biden in my opinion cannot be trusted to do anything about it, and more realistically, Neera Tanden in the shadows of the oval office can't be trusted to do anything over other than giving Sharice Davids a cabinet position and furthering the war in Syria. There's just no way I win, there's no way anyone I know who's far more disadvantaged than me wins, and at this point, this election is largely irrelevant on an executive level. I fear it'll be bad for the down ballot as well and my partisan voting there will matter just as little as it did in 2016. At this point, it's about forming alternative structures, but as someone with high anxiety issues who doesn't have insurance to treat it, actually going about the altercations and organization of strikes, protests, and active community representation seems daunting to next to impossible for me. For me personally, I feel paralyzed, knowing full well only a series of strikes can do anything to prevent this, but being out of the workforce and in a general bad way from the collective failures of Obama and Trump. I don't know what's coming next. But if you're talking about an objective in advocating against Biden - I'd rather at least one party be punished for nominating a rapist, and we all know drat well it's never the Republicans. There's just no real benefit to caving and at least some personal advocacy, the kind of advocacy I never fully had as a child, in advocating that the Democrats, the supposed party of #metoo, not get in a loving rapist.

I think change is possible. I think progressivism is possible. I think there is a future. I think we can change the world. I think the Democratic Party has to die before any of that happens. It used to be I just wanted it to change. After this election, with this level of moral malfeasance, I want it dead and replaced.

That's where I'm at, at least. And thanks for being reasonable, I think your initial post did a good job summing up everything, I just thought it important to hit the nail on the head when it comes to mitigated damage - there is no such thing. There is no benefit to the Democrats gaining power this way. They are a party without ideas and it is time for them to be replaced. Not out of accelerationism, but actual necessity.

Yeah, I get that, totally understandable. I think I’m a little more optimistic of how Biden would govern vs Trump, but I’m not gonna blame anyone for being skeptical. Plus, there’s the whole sexual assault thing, and if clearing that very low bar for nominating someone has been thrown out the window, it’s a sign that poo poo’s gotten pretty bad.

Thanks for sharing. It’s appreciated.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thanks to Joe Biden, the Women's March's position is that rape isn't really women's business, don't ask them about it

https://twitter.com/womensmarch/status/1256304774791737346?s=20

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The NY Times editorial board is calling for an investigating and it's on the front page. Next week will be extremely interesting.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

relax-o-vision posted:

So yesterday, armed neo-nazi thugs barged into my state's capitol building in a show of force. Today, the president called those neo-nazis "very good people." I guess I'm in a quandary. On the one hand, I believe it's morally wrong to vote for a rapist like Joe Biden. On the other hand, I also believe it's morally wrong to allow neo-nazis to remain in power. Those are both deeply held moral convictions for me, and right now they are in conflict. I can't fulfill both, and something has to give.

Assuming that the posters in this thread do, in fact, oppose neo-nazis, everyone here is in the same dilemma as I am. Either you oppose nazis by supporting a rapist, or you oppose rape by allowing nazis to have the support of the president. Either way, you are morally compromised. What do you think is the correct choice?

relax-o-vision posted:

He should, but you and I both know he isn't going to drop out. The president in 2021 will be a rapist, and taking a principled stand will do nothing to prevent that.

This doesn't read like you are facing a quandary at all and are instead trying to tell people to vote for the Democrat's rapist because what can you do about having a rapist on your party's ticket y'know?

Or to put it differently:

Brownhat posted:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brownhat posted:

Which non-rapist do you think has a path to victory?

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

This doesn't read like you are facing a quandary at all and are instead trying to tell people to vote for the Democrat's rapist because what can you do about having a rapist on your party's ticket y'know?

Or to put it differently:

You got me, I do in fact believe it is morally wrong to allow neo-nazis to remain in power. Do you disagree?

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Thanks to Joe Biden, the Women's March's position is that rape isn't really women's business, don't ask them about it

https://twitter.com/womensmarch/status/1256304774791737346?s=20
Context:
https://twitter.com/womensmarch/status/1256369032015556609

It was dumb that they asked Female leaders before him but still.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Scientist Al Gore posted:

The NY Times editorial board is calling for an investigating and it's on the front page. Next week will be extremely interesting.

Joe's campaign really shouldn't have twisted their words to pretend they exonerated him.

RBA Starblade posted:

Which non-rapist do you think has a path to victory?

If Biden dropped out? Many, actually. Until then, I'll continue to withhold my support.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brownhat posted:

If Biden dropped out? Many, actually. Until then, I'll continue to withhold my support.

So none, currently.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

relax-o-vision posted:

It will prevent you from helping put a rapist in the white house.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

relax-o-vision posted:

Either you oppose nazis by supporting a rapist, or you oppose rape by allowing nazis to have the support of the president. Either way, you are morally compromised. What do you think is the correct choice?

Doesnt Trump himself have like a dozen women accusing him of rape allegations as well? I feel like nobody ever brings this up, maybe its cause it's buried under the mountain of scandals he already has.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Unoriginal Name posted:

Remember when Biden talked about clean coal. In 2008. lol

Yeah but Trump doesn't even clean the coal before burning it

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

relax-o-vision posted:

My vote doesn't matter because of the electoral college, since nothing I do matters why would I go out of my way to vote for a rapist, seems immoral

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

My vote doesn't matter because of the electoral college, since nothing I do matters why would I go out of my way to vote for a rapist, seems immoral

But you see, you're supporting neo nazis by *checks notes* not voting for them?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

when you're presented with a choice between right-wing rapists, the moral choice is neither.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

relax-o-vision posted:

You got me, I do in fact believe it is morally wrong to allow neo-nazis to remain in power. Do you disagree?

I find the one rapist as unbearable and abhorrent as the other rapist. Because I find rape to be bad.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

relax-o-vision posted:

So instead you'll be putting in *checks notes* Strom Thurmond's buddy

Hm.

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

Gripweed posted:

It will prevent you from helping put a rapist in the white house.

So you're willing to allow neo-nazis to remain in power, in order to prevent a rapist from becoming president (even though the president will still be a rapist)? That's an acceptable trade-off to you?

Brownhat posted:

But you see, you're supporting neo nazis by *checks notes* not voting for them?

Refraining from actively opposing them does count as passively supporting them, yes.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Mekchu posted:

I find the rapist segregationist as unbearable and abhorrent as the rapist neo-nazi.

The best part is that, technically, only one side is forced to nominate a rapist. The other side is trying to nominate a rapist willingly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gripweed posted:

when you're presented with a choice between right-wing rapists, the moral choice is neither.

Unfortunately, you're going to be supporting one or the other obtaining or staying in power one way or another in the current system.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

relax-o-vision posted:

Refraining from actively opposing them does count as passively supporting them, yes.

Ok well according to this reasoning by not voting for either party I'm passively supporting Biden, so you should be satisfied then

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Parrotine posted:

Doesnt Trump himself have like a dozen women accusing him of rape allegations as well? I feel like nobody ever brings this up, maybe its cause it's buried under the mountain of scandals he already has.

Personally I don't bring it up because I don't really run into people that are considering voting for Trump. But yes, Donald Trump is a serial rapist and I would not recommend anyone, under any circumstances, vote for him to be President.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/Phylan/status/1070720619401089025

haha this sucks man

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

Unfortunately, you're going to be supporting one or the other obtaining or staying in power one way or another in the current system.

what the gently caress is this incoherent nonsense

hmm yes, a vote for neither ....supports both? what the fcuk are you talking about

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

relax-o-vision posted:

So you're willing to allow neo-nazis to remain in power, in order to prevent a rapist from becoming president (even though the president will still be a rapist)? That's an acceptable trade-off to you?

I'm not voting for a rapist. There is no justification for voting for a rapist. I'll either vote for a candidate who has never committed a rape, or I won't vote at all. But I will not use the tiny little inconsequential power of a vote I have to put a rapist in the whitehouse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

How is not voting supporting a candidate?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not voting is acceptance of the status quo, a rapist in charge, or not caring what the outcome will be which is a rapist in charge.

There is no escape I'm afraid.

Unoriginal Name posted:

what the gently caress is this incoherent nonsense

hmm yes, a vote for neither ....supports both? what the fcuk are you talking about

Who is the incumbent, and what has he done?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 2, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Parrotine posted:

Is it relevant.

If the argument is "Biden didn't do it", Trump raping women has no bearing on whether Biden has assaulted women.

The only way it's relevant is if Democrats get free passes to rape based on how much Trump has raped, so probably the reason it's not brought up is people don't feel comfortable making an argument like that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

Who is the incumbent, and what has he done?

Are you suggesting that not voting is supporting the incumbent?

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I'm not voting for a rapist. There is no justification for voting for a rapist. I'll either vote for a candidate who has never committed a rape, or I won't vote at all. But I will not use the tiny little inconsequential power of a vote I have to put a rapist in the whitehouse.

OK, so you feel it is morally acceptable to allow neo-nazis to remain in power, got it. Thank you for your candor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gripweed posted:

Are you suggesting that not voting is supporting the incumbent?

As I said, it's either acceptance of the status quo or a lack of interest in the outcome.

Both end with a rapist in charge.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

relax-o-vision posted:

OK, so you feel it is morally acceptable to allow neo-nazis to remain in power, got it. Thank you for your candor.

You feel it is morally acceptable to support a rapist for president. You are in no position of moral superiority here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

relax-o-vision posted:

By nominating a rapist who will lose Democrats are helping a neo Nazi remain in power, I agree that it's immoral of them and they should not do it, but it doesn't have anything to do with me I'm not the one coronating a rapist in backroom deals

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 2, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gripweed posted:

You feel it is morally acceptable to support a rapist for president. You are in no position of moral superiority here.

No one is, sadly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

As I said, it's either acceptance of the status quo or a lack of interest in the outcome.

Both end with a rapist in charge.

It's refusal to take part in a monstrous choice with no acceptable option.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gripweed posted:

It's refusal to take part in a monstrous choice with no acceptable option.

Unfortunately, that still ends with a rapist in charge.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

No one is, sadly.

it's impossible to say this without sounding like a self-sucking loser but no anyone on team 'I won't vote for a rapist with a long history of supporting violence and bigotry, regardless of party labels' is actually the morally superior camp. It's a very black and white thing, either the things Biden did are okay because he's nominally 'on your side' or they're not.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

You don't have to pick your favorite rapist. You can refuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

you can just not vote for president, you can just opt out of supporting a rapist, it's literally the easiest thing to do, just walk away.