Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like wording that way makes it sound way more complicated than it actually is. Like, we see other characters in flashbacks too, does that mean there's multiple Tifas in this game??? Same about Cloud's weird visions and hallucinations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
so I guess Sephiroth didn't come back to change things but is maybe instead changing things in the future from the past?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have to say her theory never occurred to me.

I'm not sure how likely it is, but it's an interesting take.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I think I have an idea about what's going on, but give me a little bit because I have to finish something first. :thunk:

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
Whilst I am still, sorta hoping (but it's unlikely reading the Ultimania translations) that the plot isn't time bullshit, I am also intrigued by the Unknown Sephiroth being pre-Jenova "good" Sephiroth.

The question would be, why would he not trip out exactly like he did in Nibelheim if he suddenly becomes aware of how he was created? Since, he flipped out just thinking he was part-Cetra, if he can see how things unfold he's probably aware that actually, he was injected with a random alien. But apparently he's okay with it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If they make pre-Janova Sepherioth a playable character in Part 3 (or 4 or whatever) that is a mandatory party member to fight Evil Sephiroth, I will lose my god drat mind.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Genesis and Weiss time traveled from the secret ending of Dirge of Cerberus to Crisis Core Sephiroth pre-Nibelheim and told him about the future and was like "yo dude, we need to get the True Ending for our man Zack" and Seph was like "k, so I just have to troll that Shinra grunt that Zack hangs out with?" and Genesis is like "ye"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

gredgie posted:

The question would be, why would he not trip out exactly like he did in Nibelheim if he suddenly becomes aware of how he was created? Since, he flipped out just thinking he was part-Cetra, if he can see how things unfold he's probably aware that actually, he was injected with a random alien. But apparently he's okay with it?

we all knew sephiroth, from the lifestream, basically overrides jenova with his own consciousness or will or whatever: maybe, now, the opposite is true, and the jenova is just consciously using the image of sephiroth to accomplish its goals

I mean that wouldn't really be out of line with what both the original and the remake say about how jenova operates

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If the remake pulls a Actually Sephiroth Is Good, that would be utterly fantastic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Probably will lift from Chrono Trigger on both the "enemy joins the party" and "get around a key party member dying" fronts

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the final Sephiroth at the edge of creation is just “true” Sephiroth, same as the final 1v1 in the OG. The Unknown Sephiroth at the end of the highway you fight is just manifested directly from the Jenova body instead of through the small amount in a cultist.

vvv Doesn’t seem like this Remake is quite what they came up with way back then, it’s a new iteration. Presumably Genesis would’ve been part of the original Remake but I dunno if he’d be in this one.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Nomura said FF7R started around the time the rest of the Compilation was going on and was intended to be its final capstone, taking all the elements from the rest of the works and adding them together. Dirge of Cerberus happens in the future though. What if that secret ending is actually going to come into play? Like, I was joking before about Genesis time traveling, but dude, what if

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Gologle posted:

Like, I was joking before about Genesis time traveling, but dude, what if

somebody, quick, find out if Genesis refers to himself with ore or watashi

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Red and Barret's relationship is among my favorite things in the remake and there better be a fanart somewhere on the internet of Red wielding the Buster Sword in his mouth ala Sif with Barret riding on his back shooting down plot ghosts while the Shinra building explodes in the background

also give Red a matching pair of shades

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The one thing that will bum me out about the future games, aside from possible fatigue if they release too many, is that I guarantee the vast majority of speculation in this thread, including my own, will be proven wrong.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Where IS GACKT

No but really I'm down with the Multiple Sephiroths theory. Ngl I was furious at the game until it finally showed that the Sephiroth in the Shinra Bldg was just one of the tattooed clone black cape Reunion dudes taking Jenova. I really wanted her to bust her own way out and leave a trail of blood with the claw marks on the walls and all, but it's fine. I guess. I guess.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Does this game have any references to dirge of cerberus like it does for basically the rest of the compilation?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
We end the remake chasing after the guy that are sick

Remake couldn't get more wish fulfilment than that for me.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Cnidaria posted:

Does this game have any references to dirge of cerberus like it does for basically the rest of the compilation?

You find what's implied to be DEEPGROUND before the time ghosts chase you out, I think.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

https://twitter.com/GACKT/status/1116258150435446789?s=20

Based on that #dailyworkout tag, he's been real busy.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Schwartzcough posted:

https://twitter.com/GACKT/status/1116258150435446789?s=20

Based on that #dailyworkout tag, he's been real busy.

I'm requesting to follow Gackt. I hope he'll be my friend

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe the reason they can't say how many parts there'll be is they're considering not actually ending the game at Meteorfall, but instead doing a game adaptation of Advent Children and a (very different) remake of Dirge of Cerberus featuring the whole cast instead of just Vincent, and wrapping it up as part of the remake series, and then bribing Gackt so they can conclude with one final part following up on the Genesis secret ending

That'd be fuckin wild

It'll be like 20 years from now and Final Fantasy VII: Regenesis will be coming out, directed by a 70-year-old Tetsuya Nomura

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HD DAD posted:

If the remake pulls a Actually Sephiroth Is Good, that would be utterly fantastic.

I'm like 99% sure that Sephiroth will join your party at the end of the game and fight the real ultimate enemy, god/time/fate or whatever

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I would like future parts of FF7R to not have copyright bullshit later down the line so keep Gackt away from it please.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think they'd be able to get Gackt on board.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

precision posted:

I'm like 99% sure that Sephiroth will join your party at the end of the game and fight the real ultimate enemy, god/time/fate or whatever

I do hope they still do the playable Nibelheim flashback instead of just a cutscene. Fighting ridiculously strong enemies as a level 1 Cloud and having Sephiroth just clown on everything.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I can already smell the waves of fan sploodge and hear a thousand fingers revving up write the angriest takes you've ever clapped eyes upon. Oh it would be glorious.

Seriously I just stumbled across another bitchy take tonight that amounted to Aerith and Tifa weren't portrayed as submissive and pleasant enough by their english voice actors. If Square does this poo poo? Ohhhhh boyyyyy. :allears:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RatHat posted:

I do hope they still do the playable Nibelheim flashback instead of just a cutscene. Fighting ridiculously strong enemies as a level 1 Cloud and having Sephiroth just clown on everything.

same except it's cloud doubling down on his posturing and he's the tough guy who can one-shot a dragon while sephiroth spends the fight on the floor

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

same except it's cloud doubling down on his posturing and he's the tough guy who can one-shot a dragon while sephiroth spends the fight on the floor

Also he's the one wearing the dress for some reason. Cloud's explanation? "I dunno he was a weird dude. " Meanwhile the game spits in Cloud's eye because Seph's rocking a black spangled number like nobody's business.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Seriously I just stumbled across another bitchy take tonight that amounted to Aerith and Tifa weren't portrayed as submissive and pleasant enough by their english voice actors.

:psyduck:

This is the total opposite to another take I saw that was about how Tifa and Aerith were too "waifu-ified" by the remake

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Okay, it is big brain time.

First, I think the phrasing of different Sephiroths is weird, yeah, so let's make this easier. Let's all assume that they're from the same guy. The illusion is being caused on purpose by Seph. It's not like he hasn't done this before, he's just getting started on it way earlier this time. Like, why would Cloud hallucinate him saying something so specific and important when he first shows up? Let's assume that he's causing these on purpose. The black hooded men are being used by Seph to body hop or something. Flashbacks are....flashbacks. And then the unknown Sephiroth, who has been presumably making Cloud hallucinate and has been body hopping and poo poo. Great.

I don't think this Sephiroth is pre-Jenova. He still has the weird alien eyes, which makes it seem like that couldn't be the case? I don't think he wants Cloud to join him because he wants to be good now. However, I also don't think it's for evil purposes either. To be fair, I'm all in on Sephiroth Finally Gets Some Therapy, but I don't think that's happening. In the beginning, he more or less says that he wants Cloud to keep remembering him, that if the planet dies, the memory of their time together will fade. Why suddenly care about this now? He explicitly wants Cloud to live. He tells him to run away.

Let's go back to the first game. Remember when Sephiroth was explaining how Jenova actually works, when he insists that Cloud is his clone? How it's possible for Jenova (or clones of her) to read minds and shapeshift to look like the people from that person's memories? Obviously that wasn't the case with Cloud, he just got brain blasted with too much mako. Still, when you first run into Sephiroth in person, on the ship, he doesn't seem too coherent, and then you have the first Jenova fight. But as time goes on, and Cloud gets more focused on defeating him, the more he starts acting like Sephiroth and almost goes out of his way to mess with Cloud and the party.

My question here is, do we have a replicant situation going on right now? Could this actually be Jenova, but they are so, SO convinced that they're actually Sephiroth because Cloud's memories of him are so strong? Even switching back to "ore" at the end makes sense because that is how Cloud remembered how he talked. That's why he hesitated, whoever this is was trying to appeal to Cloud's memory of him. That's why they are acting like a mentor, because that's how Cloud remembers Sephiroth, and it also explains why he's so dead set on making sure Cloud keeps remembering him with such intensity. This doesn't really explain why Seph knows the future (I think a loop might have happened, but that's just a guess). If it's Jenova...what does that mean? Would it even matter at that point if they were, just because they want to stay as Sephiroth? Is the real Sephiroth still stuck in the Northern Crater at this point and we have a copy running around thinking they're the real deal? If that's true, how is this going to shake out? Am I just very tired? When will I stop asking questions?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's pretty amazing that so far they've managed to only improve on literally every character. I especially never felt like Cloud had much personality in the English translation but now he's got a fantastic personality. And Barrett's English VA is so good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought Sephiroth told Cloud to run at the beginning because that would change the future, since he was so important to everything that happens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

I thought Sephiroth told Cloud to run at the beginning because that would change the future, since he was so important to everything that happens.

It turns out that the Sephiroth we meet in this game is actually Majima

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just finished my replay of the OG.

If I have to choose between the first four hours of OG FF7 and the 40 hours of the first part of the FF7 remake, I'll take the 40 hours every time like holy poo poo. The replay really puts into perspective how nuts they went with remaking the Midgar arc, it's like night and day. The original looks quaint in comparison, the remake is just flat out more fun and honestly it's better designed too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

precision posted:

It turns out that the Sephiroth we meet in this game is actually Majima

This is more apt than it should be.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

BaDandy posted:

I don't think this Sephiroth is pre-Jenova. He still has the weird alien eyes, which makes it seem like that couldn't be the case?

Sephiroth was injected with Jenova cells whilst in the womb, so he's likely had weird alien eyes from birth, which were then later bathed in good ol' mako.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
See, I thought about that too, but I'm not actually sure. The one image we see that's actually from the past might have the weird eyes but it's hard to tell, and by weird eyes I mean reptilian-looking, not that they're mako-y. Either way, I read him slipping back into how he used to talk as another way to avail himself to Cloud. Whether he's sincere about it or not is hard to say.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

During the Shinra escape:

"Who are you riffraff?"

"Avalanche!"
"Local florist!"
"Lab rat dog!"

One of the funniest moments in all of Final Fantasy. This game is amazing. I am so hype for my five year wait for disc 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably important that the "unknown" Sephiroth is in the astral plane or wherever the gently caress that is and nowhere else. :thunk: