Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/istanleyff7/status/1256008237268078592

https://twitter.com/istanleyff7/status/1256008372370849793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what did you all think of the soundtrack in the remake?

VVV That's a really neat detail

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 2, 2020

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1256304998109020164?s=20

:popeye:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Huh, so they're not omniscient. I guess that's how they messed up with Biggs and Wedge.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Internet Kraken posted:

So what did you all think of the soundtrack in the remake?

VVV That's a really neat detail

J-E-N-O-V-A loving slaps, as usual.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Seriously I just stumbled across another bitchy take tonight that amounted to Aerith and Tifa weren't portrayed as submissive and pleasant enough by their english voice actors. If Square does this poo poo? Ohhhhh boyyyyy. :allears:

You should copy/paste that for our amusement.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

precision posted:

And Barrett's English VA is so good.

weirdly barret's VA has in my opinion the best overall performance but also the single worst individual line read in the entire game

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Not to interrupt Big Brain Chat, (which has been loving LIT, thanks everyone!) but I wanted to ask a gameplay mechanics question. Note that for this question, I'm max level, completed Normal and the first 3 chapters of Hard, so I don't quite yet have access to ALL the SP abilities on each weapon. But, for all intents and purposes, we can probably assume I do.

What are the "best" weapons for each character? My take so far:
Cloud: Iron Blade
Tifa: ????
Barret: EKG Cannon
Aerith: ????

Weapon Abilities?
Cloud: Triple Slash, Infinity's End (if poo poo holds still)
Tifa: Starshower (AoE), True Strike (single target)
Barret: Maximum Fury (that's it, it's the best, hands-down)

You'll note that I don't know dick-all about Tifa and Aerith, so I'm looking for tips on building them out. I'm also open to why I'm wrong about Cloud and Barret.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Barret's voice actor feels like he was asked if he wanted to be a little more nuanced than "Mr T but with a gun arm" and he said "ABSOLUTELY NOT".

Zarin posted:

Weapon Abilities?
Cloud: Triple Slash, Infinity's End (if poo poo holds still)
Tifa: Starshower (AoE), True Strike (single target)
Barret: Maximum Fury (that's it, it's the best, hands-down)

Aerith's ability is actually the Arcane Ward that lets people doublecast their spells.

But also, Ray of Judgement is nice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

corneo is an ancient confirmed

bewilderment posted:

Barret's voice actor feels like he was asked if he wanted to be a little more nuanced than "Mr T but with a gun arm" and he said "ABSOLUTELY NOT".

The voice actor for Barret said he remembered playing FF7 back when it came out and he imagined what he would sound like and that's what he did

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I have absolutely seen people bitch that Tifa isn't 'bitchy' and Aerith isn't 'shrine maiden' enough, and it's a pretty good filter for "People who have no idea who these characters are".

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
To add to Big Brain Chat, I kinda feel like the key question of FF7 is similar to that of Crysis.

For Crysis: Is the protagonist a man wearing a suit, or a suit wearing a man?

For FF7: Is the Sephiroth we meet in present day "Sephiroth with Jenova Powers" or "Jenova with Sephiroth Memories, Combat Style, and Social Status"?

I would loving LOVE if the end of the Remake ends with the "why can't we have both?" meme and "Sephiroth with Jenova Powers" joins your team to destroy "Jenova with Sephiroth Memories, Combat Style, and Social Status". You could even up the feels ante if he decides to do it for the good of the Planet And Zack And Most Importantly Cloud even though it ends up killing his past self to ultimately destroy Jenova forever but at least in the final credits sequence Cloud awkwardly gives him what he's wanted all his life: an open-mouthed kiss.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

corneo is an ancient confirmed

The voice actor for Barret said he remembered playing FF7 back when it came out and he imagined what he would sound like and that's what he did
Please tell me that the line where Barret does the victory theme diegetically is present in the Japanese release.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bewilderment posted:

Yo hey you take that back! The nuance comes in when he talks to children. :colbert:

bewilderment posted:

Aerith's ability is actually the Arcane Ward that lets people doublecast their spells.

I want to like Arcane Ward, but drat if it isn't hard to try and stand in it to cast your spells (because some rear end in a top hat enemy decided to area denial it somehow).

I really wish it was a buff on a person rather than an area on the ground.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I felt like the majority of the abilities had some use, even if it was niche sometimes. Except Barret's melee abilities if you're playing him as ranged. And I never really used Lustrous shield, enemies move around too much. But basically all of Cloud and Tifa's abilities were pretty good.

EDIT: My most used abilities are probably the stagger and direct damage ones though. So Focused Thrust, Strike, and Shot and Braver/Infinity's End, Maximum Fury, Divekick, and Ray of Judgement.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 2, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nessus posted:

Please tell me that the line where Barret does the victory theme diegetically is present in the Japanese release.

Hell yeah it is.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

You should copy/paste that for our amusement.

This loving nerd right here:

"From the ending itself. Aerith's "I miss it. The steel sky." was in Japanese "I hate the sky." (Referencing "...Because it takes away people dear to me." Her 30th Anniversary monologue about her real mother, Zack, and Cloud.)
Aerith's " 'Cause I'm not sick of you yet." in EN just before Cloud has a crying freak out is "I want to spend time with you." (Referencing "I want to spend more time with you."...23 Tiny Wishes.) This is a huge one IMO because it shows the beginning of her feelings transferring from Zack to Cloud.
Aerith's Chapter 14 Resolution scene includes her in Japanese saying "It hurts, but I'm happy." (can't remember the English rendering) yet another reference to her 30th Anniversary monologue. (Fiance and I got CloTi Hug on first playthrough, but we unlocked Barret and Aerith's scenes later.) Honestly, this entire scene felt like her saying farewell ala the Sleeping Forest, so where do they plan to go from here?!
Madam M in Japanese when pissed off Cloud and Aerith having to do a bonus battle is swearing with comical bleeps. The English could've had a smart callback to OG with the script &^#$# ing ala Cid and Barret but instead it's played painfully straight (sigh).
Neither Cloud or Reno say "Bitch" in Japanese nor does Tifa ever talk about "kicking rear end".
I guess they misheard Aerith's "uso!" (No way!) as "kuso!" (poo poo!) when she almost falls off the ladder, because otherwise it's a head scratcher how they did that.
I forget if this was Aerith's red/best dress, but in EN Cloud's disinterested "Eh...." was actually an acknowledgement (ああ) "Yeah.", Cloud agreeing it's nice.
EN Aerith's "Aren't you worried what might happen in there?" was in Japanese ティファは大切な人でしょう?"Isn't Tifa special to you?"
On another note from what I've seen, JP Cloud talks pretty similarly to Jessie, Aerith, and Tifa. Seems like some fans are downplaying romance if it gets in the way of their 'ship, but Cloud's attraction to all 3 girls (despite his subconscious practically screaming for Tifa this go around), is quite obvious IMO. Gotta love Sakurai-san's Tifa bias since '97, though :3 I know that feel~
Tifa's EN "I don't care!" to the Shinra Manager was "You're not the enemy!" in Japanese...we've discussed ever since E3 how they changed her wanting to protect everyone to her being a badass with "My turn!" and such, so nothing new, but character motivations altering for sure.
A lot of Jessie, Tifa and Aerith's EN lines come off as pretty rude and bitchy towards Cloud when they aren't that way at all towards him? They girls are generally playful more than anything so I don't understand, why the change of intent?
There being dubbed versions of Midgar Blues (loved the Japanese song since February) and Stamp's Theme was amusingly weird. I understand why, but it was amusing, regardless.
A lot of the Japanese script was quite similar or verbatim lines as VII itself, so I don't understand the English localization's fascination with changing things around so much? For instance, character weapons/Limit Breaks/Enemies retain their Japanese names (unless there's something I missed) so the English feeling the need to spice things up for random reasons was ??? mindboggling. Funny enough, Chapter 3's title was "Seven Heaven" (in English it's "Home Sweet Slum") and Chapter 8's "A reunion of flowers" (English "Budding Bodyguard" which works with the word play)."

Just have to agree to disagree that it paints Tifa in a different light (a lot of her lines do, sadly). Reminds me how some of her English AC lines wound up giving fans fuel to hate her when....she wasn't saying anything rude in Japanese. The best example there is "Are we losing to our memories?" which in English turned into "Which is it, a memory or us?" . Fans misunderstanding = taking that as Tifa forcing Cloud to choose, which isn't the case. At all.

Oh, another Tifa line and some of Jessie's below:

・Cloud in an important scene asks Tifa if she's alright. In Japanese she simply offers a "No, I'm okay" which the English renders as "Nothing you need to worry about."....Just comes off as Tifa being bitchy when it's seriously uncalled for. Couldn't they have rendered the English instead as "No, everything's fine"? I mean.
・During Reactor 1: "I fell on purpose so you'd help me." to which Cloud retorts "A true to life performance". (Hilarious when we consider Jessie's dream job). The English instead gives us "If I couldn't walk, believe me you'd be the first to know!" A similar feel of flitting, but presented differently.
・Also, during a spoilery scene, in English Jessie comments how "My hero's so gentle." whereas she's sarcastic in Japanese about "I'm getting rescued again...." Heck, Cloud even mentions (I forget if this scene or another big one) that he'd rescue her whenever she needs it (pretty romantic IMO), which sadly in English that didn't quite come across.

To be fair to them this was in a thread discussing differences between translations but uh...they fixated on the whole rude/bitchy thing quiiiite a bit.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 2, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Flopsy posted:

Neither Cloud or Reno say "Bitch" in Japanese nor does Tifa ever talk about "kicking rear end".
I guess they misheard Aerith's "uso!" (No way!) as "kuso!" (poo poo!) when she almost falls off the ladder, because otherwise it's a head scratcher how they did that.
A lot of the Japanese script was quite similar or verbatim lines as VII itself, so I don't understand the English localization's fascination with changing things around so much? For instance, character weapons/Limit Breaks/Enemies retain their Japanese names (unless there's something I missed) so the English feeling the need to spice things up for random reasons was ??? mindboggling. Funny enough, Chapter 3's title was "Seven Heaven" (in English it's "Home Sweet Slum") and Chapter 8's "A reunion of flowers" (English "Budding Bodyguard" which works with the word play)."

I don't think this person understands Japanese as well as they think they do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Love it when weebs take a look at lines that are clearly translated into compelling English turns of phrase and they would rather have robotic literalisms instead

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably important that the "unknown" Sephiroth is in the astral plane or wherever the gently caress that is and nowhere else. :thunk:

It shows that his time traveling powers or whatever are a bit more limited than people initially thought. He can't just materialize anywhere he wants in the "real" world unless he has a robed puppet to possess, otherwise he can only show up as visions to gently caress with Cloud.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Love it when weebs take a look at lines that are clearly translated into compelling English turns of phrase and they would rather have robotic literalisms instead

Seriously, as someone who actually took Japanese as a language course their obsession with sticking to literal detail and moaning when it doesn't stay the same is insufferable.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zarin posted:

I'm thinking Tifa's best weapons are either the metal knuckles (I think that's what they're called, with high attack but low magic) for raw attack stat, or feathered gloves for a ton of speed and ATB gain potential. For Aerith, I personally think the perks on the Silver Staff make it the best for hard mode.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

RatHat posted:

I felt like the majority of the abilities had some use, even if it was niche sometimes. Except Barret's melee abilities if you're playing him as ranged. And I never really used Lustrous shield, enemies move around too much. But basically all of Cloud and Tifa's abilities were pretty good.

EDIT: My most used abilities are probably the stagger and direct damage ones though. So Focused Thrust, Strike, and Shot and Braver/Infinity's End, Maximum Fury, Divekick, and Ray of Judgement.

I suppose perhaps I was oversimplifying the game and was thinking in terms of a dichotomy of "AoE vs. Single Target" instead of more of a trichotomy (is that a word?) of "AoE, Single Target, and Stagger".

Is Divekick the best single-target damage? I would have guessed True Strike was, but I don't play Tifa much (yet).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ True Strike is only better when the enemy is staggered I think. Also Divekick has a bit of an AoE.

Yeah I use Feathered Gloves for Tifa for the highest speed(and thus ATB gain). Though I haven't unlocked the last weapon core yet so maybe that'll change things. For Barret I use EKG Cannon because he's my healer when he's in party, but for Cloud and Aerith a lot of their weapons are pretty similar so it's really personal preference.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

This sounds like the kind of guy that if tasked with translating a manga keeps the nakamas intact while adding the footnote "there is no english word that perfectly translates the feeling of being a nakama, closest one being friend, although that would be incorrect"

jfc don't be that kind of insufferable twat

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
weebs are the worst, what else is new?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Arcane Ward is *just* this side of almost OP, and I love it so much. I spend time making sure it's up almost all the time. In hard mode I'd rather have two 1st level spells fire off for single mana cost than 2nd or 3rd most of the time. But I tend to be super miserly when it comes to casting vs. Abilities in Hard Mode.

And Super Anime Laser Beam can hit like a one ton anvil.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 2, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I used Arcane Ward and flattened Swordpede in two casts from Aerith. Made me laugh really drat hard

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think the perfect Aeris and Tifa moment that shows their personalities is when they first meet in the mansion, and Aeris is all excited to meet a new person and Tifa is EXTREMELY reserved about her.

bewilderment posted:

First off Barret's voice is perfect and second he has kind eyes!!!!!!!!!!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

gredgie posted:

Sephiroth was injected with Jenova cells whilst in the womb, so he's likely had weird alien eyes from birth, which were then later bathed in good ol' mako.

what was the deal with the Dreamweaver fight

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Just close your eyes and climb aboard the dreamweaver train, she'll take away your worries of today, and leave tomorrow behind.

Macaluso posted:

First off Barret's voice is perfect and second he has kind eyes!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, this may be a really dumb question:is there any way to download the mini-soundtrack from the digital deluxe edition onto my phone? I just got my ps4 in February so I dont know the ins and outside of it yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FAUXTON posted:

They needed to get the best battle music in video games in there somehow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

stev posted:

They needed to get the best battle music in video games in there somehow.

yeah but like what was up with sephiroth turning into jenova/appearing as jenova? If it was a cloud-only thing the party wouldn't be there.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

FAUXTON posted:

yeah but like what was up with sephiroth turning into jenova/appearing as jenova? If it was a cloud-only thing the party wouldn't be there.

Those with Jenova cells can appear as other people. All those robed weirdos have been injected with Jenova cells, which lets Sephiroth both mind-jack them and also make them look like himself. So Sephiroth made a couple of robed guys look like himself and break into Shinra HQ and steal Jenova's body. As in the original game, it seems that throwing hunks of Jenova's body at the party will create horrible Jenova monsters with great music.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schwartzcough posted:

Those with Jenova cells can appear as other people. All those robed weirdos have been injected with Jenova cells, which lets Sephiroth both mind-jack them and also make them look like himself. So Sephiroth made a couple of robed guys look like himself and break into Shinra HQ and steal Jenova's body. As in the original game, it seems that throwing hunks of Jenova's body at the party will create horrible Jenova monsters with great music.

It looked to me like one of the clones cast level 5 illusion to create the boss fight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zarin posted:

Cloud: Buster sword for best overall stats, Twin Stinger for reprieve / healing spells cost reduction.
Tifa: Purple Pain for crits / reprieve, Sonic Strikers for healing spells cost reduction and 50% mp regen boost.
Barret: EKG for damage / reprieve, LMG for reprieve / healing spells cost reduction.
Aerith: Guardstick for reprieve / healing spells cost reduction.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 2, 2020

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

Lustrous Shield is hilarious against The Arsenal. Like 90% of its moves are projectiles, so just keep the shield between you and the boss and you can spam just about anything. It even blocks the Primary Fire attack and can still go for more. It unfortunately does not block the laser pulse attack, though.

I never really found a use for ATB Ward though. I felt like Aerith having ATB was way more important for healing reasons.

Also, I could spam Chi Trap for days. It's so satisfying.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Someone mentioned that Sephiroth will join the party and I guarantee there will be a time when Cloud, Zack, and Seph are all in the party at once.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Just Andi Now posted:

Lustrous Shield is hilarious against The Arsenal. Like 90% of its moves are projectiles, so just keep the shield between you and the boss and you can spam just about anything. It even blocks the Primary Fire attack and can still go for more. It unfortunately does not block the laser pulse attack, though.

I never really found a use for ATB Ward though. I felt like Aerith having ATB was way more important for healing reasons.

Also, I could spam Chi Trap for days. It's so satisfying.

Yeah ATB Ward is weird, not really useful aside from gimmick strategies.

EDIT: Lots of good info about how some abilities/materia work in https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/g5w0wo/been_experimenting_with_the_stats_materia_and/

Some notable stuff:
- ATB Assist has really strict timing so it’s probably useless on anyone except Tifa using Unbridled Strength or True Strike.
- Steelskin is the exact same as Barrier, and they stack with each other.
- True Strike doesn’t do extra damage to staggered enemies, it increases the stagger damage bonus by 30%. True strike x 2, Rise and Fall, Omnistrike, True Strike x 2 seems to be the go-to combo for staggered enemies.
- Punisher Mode heavy attack gives Cloud Berserk which increase damage done and taken by 30%
- Stop on staggered enemies(that aren’t resistant to it) will freeze the stagger timer :stare:
- Know how Barret does a reload animation after an auto attack string? You can cancel that into Triangle for a free Charge.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Codependent Poster posted:

Someone mentioned that Sephiroth will join the party and I guarantee there will be a time when Cloud, Zack, and Seph are all in the party at once.

I like where you're going with this! In replaying Chapter 17 to farm some AP, I had some revelations.

For one, I'm confident now Not at all, actually that the final boss of the game is Chadley. Obviously!

The final act will revolve around Taking your team of Jenova-enhanced supersoldiers and ending Hojo once and for all - then, setting your sights on the intern that gazed upon what Hojo wrought, and while claiming to hate him and everything he stood for, following in his footsteps anyway and performed unholy science on Cloud. Or maybe Chadley will be a superboss, where you'll have to fight through every summon in the game, in succession, with no rest in-between. I'm not sure what sword Zack is supposed to use, though, if Cloud keeps bogarting the Buster Sword.