Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Lets not forget that Government spy agencies have unlimited resources to specifically recreate your particular copy of a Linux ISO from your harddrive you had turned into iron filings, then melted down for recycling and the metal used as reinforced concrete for an important dam.

Just curious, what level of destruction would satify everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Heners_UK posted:

Lets not forget that Government spy agencies have unlimited resources to specifically recreate your particular copy of a Linux ISO from your harddrive you had turned into iron filings, then melted down for recycling and the metal used as reinforced concrete for an important dam.

I just shoot it with a rifle. If I was even more worried than that I'd shoot it with a rifle and throw it in a deep lake in the middle of the woods.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why don't people who are concerned about disk wiping/destruction just use full disk encryption?

nerox
May 20, 2001
I think I have all my old hard drives in a box stuffed in the back of my closet. I guess they would be pretty easy to reconstruct and everyone would know what terrible taste in music I had in the 90's. :ohdear:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

is there a way to make ZFS not fail the drive for up to like 10 minutes or something? (freebsd or linux)? That would give you enough cushion to ride over the "stalls".

In other news my cool lifehack of using a USB-to-SATA bridge to boot my root filesystem on my whitebox microserver to allow me a full 8 ports for storage has ended poorly. After 2 years the bridge has died, or at least I'm assuming it's the bridge and not the SSD. It unmounted the root filesystem during boot, 937 errors on my root filesystem (which is independent from my data volumes) when I last checked before it dropped off again.

in the dmesg logs I'm seeing apparently my "scratch" NVMe drive has a "missing GPT table, using secondary GEOM" message although I may have forgotten to init one before passing it to ZFS, so that may have been there. I did rsync everything off and nothing was showing up damaged in the scrub anyway.

I've been thinking about moving to a different fileserver with an eye towards eventually setting up a rack, guess I'll be putting that together before too long. Booting from the NVMe will be fine, I just liked the idea of having boot on a cheap SSD.
'sysctl -ad | grep timeout' lists a bunch of OIDs for GEOM and CAM, that you'll need to tweak, and then there's ZFS itself.
For ZFS, the ZIL (not to be confused with SLOG, which is a separate intent log, ie. mirrored SSDs) is where that data-in-flight is stored before it's written as a transaction group. The vfs.zfs.dirty_data* OID namespace lets you define how big you want the ZIL to grow before it's written to disk.
The guideline of (maximum disk bandwidth, I figure around 160MBps for streaming I/O)*(number of seconds it takes to write all that data, which is 5 by default)*(number of times you want a full TXG to be able to be written, so as to not get overlapping, which is usually 2) means you're looking at over 200GB of memory for write intensive workloads, whereas normally it's only about 1.6GB for using default values - and most workloads won't even hit 1GB of ZIL.

The short of the long of it is, I don't think I can in good conscience recommend using SMR drives to anyone who cares enough about data availability to run ZFS.

wolrah posted:

With you on everything but this. What makes you believe software RAID isn't portable? Back when the choice was just between software and hardware RAID that was one of the main points in favor of software RAID other than cost.

I have personally moved Windows dynamic disks and Linux md arrays between systems with no problems, and as far as I'm aware OS X's disk sets are equally portable. Windows won't automatically mount the array, it'll flag it as foreign by default, but that's a matter of two clicks in Disk Management to import it. Likewise on Linux, you have to do a mdadm scan for it to identify a newly attached array but we're not talking about rocket science here.

Are you maybe thinking about those setups often bundled with "gamer" motherboards that are some proprietary softraid pretending to be hardware RAID? Those are somewhat tied to the hardware of course, but they're easy enough to just not use. I'm pretty sure Linux md is actually able to mount a lot of these as well, as long as the array layout is stored on disk somewhere and not just in an EEPROM on the motherboard.
Yeah, I found that one a bit confusing too.
There's the Intel fakeraid, which for RAID1 is supposedly "good enough", there's enough portability that FreeBSD supports it too, along with others. I'm reasonably sure Linux supports them too, but I can't remember how.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Heners_UK posted:

Well, they reconstructed Data from a single positronic neuron...

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
well this is a question that may not even belong here but it deals with a file server and people might actually have these type of boxes.

I have an HP proliant server that has a key lock to prevent people from taking the chassis off. I have both keys but they both don't work anymore to unlock it. The key can be inserted fully but it just can't be turned at all. It seems to be seizing up on something but from what I could see it's not really clear except for his metal bar which I don't really want to saw through. I did try using a set of lock picks since these type of locks aren't the most complicated but it just seems it just will not rotate at all.

is there anyone that has any idea of removing this lock without having to either solve through that metal blade or drilling the lock out. like if this is a common HP prolient problem or something.

btw, would an easy way to test for smr is push a line of random garbage to a file alternating between putting the line at the beginning of the file and the end until it hits a gig and notice if the time to do it increases?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Charles posted:

God damnit spoiler tags please! (Not that I actually care because STP is piss and I stopped watching)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

God damnit spoiler tags please! (Not that I actually care because STP is piss and I stopped watching)

gently caress, I didn't even know what he was talking about until your post!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Apparently LC-LC cables are insanely cheap at $2, so in a few days I'll be the owner of a 1 or 2GBps/200k IOPS low-latency interconnect for my server and workstation, using a pair of Qlogic ISP2532 FiberChannel HBAs that were apparently in the used machine I bought, and which I hadn't seen because I haven't been using the expansion cards at all.
Makes me want to put in some effort to tracking down 8x 10-15k SAS drives to put in four striped mirrors for an OS+fast storage pool.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Thermopyle posted:

gently caress, I didn't even know what he was talking about until your post!

GOD DAMNIT and I thought STP was a networking acronym I didn't know so I looked.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That Works posted:

I just shoot it with a rifle. If I was even more worried than that I'd shoot it with a rifle and throw it in a deep lake in the middle of the woods.

Please do not toss electronics into lakes, they have toxic metals in them

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

only toss in rohs compliant electronics :eng99:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

If you don’t make your dead media into fridge magnets I don’t want to know you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

corgski posted:

Oh poo poo I have two dead 5TB Seagates I was looking to do something with.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Charles posted:

In conclusion: just teach your Data to be suicidal

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Shoot them. It’s fun. Tannerite optional.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aw, Zip Disk nostalgia!

I had a parallel port version for no real reason, it was a stupid waste of money. But the disks were still neat

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Finally I have a use for this pristine unused 6TB sas drive that nobody will buy from me

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hadlock posted:

Finally I have a use for this pristine unused 6TB sas drive that nobody will buy from me

Only have SATA connections off my controller.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Only have SATA connections off my controller.

:same:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crunchy Black posted:

GOD DAMNIT and I thought STP was a networking acronym I didn't know so I looked.

I thought we were all talking about Stone Temple Pilots.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My QNAP TVS-682 owns. So far, I've got Plex, NZBget, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr installed on it, and it's flying. It'll take a while to fill up this 4x 10TB RAID 5.

Edit: My poor 250GB cache SSD though, I'll buy a couple 1TB ones when I'm not feeling the sting from spending so much on this server.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

corgski posted:

This is the best idea I've seen in a long time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

VostokProgram posted:

Please do not toss electronics into lakes, they have toxic metals in them

Ah, the lake deep in the woods I refer to is a mercury superfund site :science:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Since I do love to tinker, I’ve got a R720 on the way. I figured rather than try and migrate everything in my TS140 (which was going to be complicated since I was planing on building a whole new 4 drive array), I’d build up a second server and migrate my files. The R720 has the H710 hardware raid controller. My original thought was to build a RAID5 array out of four drives and then install FreeNAS, pointing at that array.

The research I’ve done today indicates that is a Very Bad Idea, so I’m going to get a different card and flash it to IT mode.

I’ve got a buddy who’s currently running a server with hardware RAID and FreeNAS. It’s a relative new installation, is he risking his data with this config?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

LordOfThePants posted:

Since I do love to tinker, I’ve got a R720 on the way. I figured rather than try and migrate everything in my TS140 (which was going to be complicated since I was planing on building a whole new 4 drive array), I’d build up a second server and migrate my files. The R720 has the H710 hardware raid controller. My original thought was to build a RAID5 array out of four drives and then install FreeNAS, pointing at that array.

The research I’ve done today indicates that is a Very Bad Idea, so I’m going to get a different card and flash it to IT mode.

I’ve got a buddy who’s currently running a server with hardware RAID and FreeNAS. It’s a relative new installation, is he risking his data with this config?
It's a fairly big yikes™️, yes.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You can flash the H710 to IT mode

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

To clarify: things that do software raid should never be presented drives that are hardware raided. It might work fine, or it might break inexplicably without any warning because the raid controller wasn't passing the information ZFS needs to resolve issues.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Why does does anyone even use hardware raid nowadays? Hasn't software raid been better for like a decade now?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Why does does anyone even use hardware raid nowadays? Hasn't software raid been better for like a decade now?
:iiam:
Hardware RAID is just software RAID running on 500MHz PowerPC CPU on an RTOS written by someone who no longer works at the company the hardware RAID device was bought from.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VostokProgram posted:

Some people are still of the old mindset that it's faster than software RAID, which can be true in extremely limited scenarios, but hasn't been meaningfully true for "normal use" in quite some time. Otherwise, yeah, you're really just introducing another layer of poo poo that can decide to randomly gently caress up on you for no real benefit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

VostokProgram posted:

A monkey can replace the disk with hardware raid

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

You can flash the H710 to IT mode

Can’t you just run the controller in non-RAID mode? I don’t recall the option name but I’m pretty sure if you get into the bowels of the PERC controllers they have an option to present the disks directly to the OS.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Bob Morales posted:

A monkey can replace the disk with hardware raid
I dunno, my last company used hardware raid and replacing the disks took using some CLI tool shenanigans anyway after telling someone in the colo to replace the failed SSD for us. In contrast, it was easier for me to replace disks at home either with LVM, mdraid, or zfs that had better documentation than the megacli tool. And yes, we used SSDs in RAID0 for a serious, legit software company making plenty of money in TYOL 2019 with zero plans to change.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hed posted:

Can’t you just run the controller in non-RAID mode? I don’t recall the option name but I’m pretty sure if you get into the bowels of the PERC controllers they have an option to present the disks directly to the OS.

IT mode is pretty much what you're describing, only done properly. I've tried to make this work on the rare LSI controller that won't accept IT mode firmware (some oddball Supermicro, I don't recall the specific model) and while it "works" it means you have to set up a RAID0 for each drive. It's just more management headache, when if you're buying hardware to build this there is zero reason not to buy an IT-ready controller.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My understanding is that hardware raid is better for large topologies using a bunch of sas expanders and it keeps it all abstracted from the OS and just presents pools of data. Additionally there is caching schemes using battery backed up DRAM to really push the IOPS.

It’s one of those things now where if you’re below a certain number of drives in a system then software is probably the better bet, but hardware definitely still has its use cases.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

priznat posted:

My understanding is that hardware raid is better for large topologies using a bunch of sas expanders and it keeps it all abstracted from the OS and just presents pools of data.

I'm not sure I follow this argument.

This seems exactly like something you can do with zfs as well, no?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If I could use ZFS, I'd always use IT mode and software RAID over any hardware solution. I'm not as sure if I'm stuck with Windows, or it's a work situation where nobody wants me to add ZFS to enterprise Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure I follow this argument.

This seems exactly like something you can do with zfs as well, no?

Expand the storage enough and depending on IOPS needed, this gets expensive quick as well as having storage people on hand to tune zfs.