Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So what happened with the Remdesivir trial? I thought earlier in the week the reports were that it didn't work, and a lot of the testing was on flawed methodologies. Then, Thursday comes along and it's good to go. What changed?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Oh sure, why the gently caress not. Wrote this about 9 hours ago:

I beat myself up about running a Soft Code. In retrospect, it wasnt that Soft and I was too Hard on myself afterwards. I respected the patients wish for a trial of CPR, and inevitably it didnt work. Its ok not to grasp at every last straw if its deemed medically futile. We dont force surgeons to perform operations they know will end with the patient dead on the table, but for whatever reason in the US we do force the hands of physicians to perform this one particular unnecessary procedure.

And as of time of writing (Day, uhhhh, 41?) I just came back from a perfect example of what I was trying to avoid all those weeks ago.

See I just participated in a capital H Hard Code.

88M w/PMH of several chronic health issues, COVID positive, satting well on a NRB up until an hour ago. For a variety of reasons, he became hypoxic which caused his heart to lose its Fn mind. Rapid Response called. A couple minutes after we enter the room, the patient goes from agonal breathing to not breathing at all. Hes also barely got a pulse if you feel in juuust the right spot on his neck. Code Blue called.

The first compression is the worst because thats the push that pops the breast bone, the sternum, off the ribs adjoining it like a zipper. Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop. Seven ribs attached to the sternum in pairs, so really fourteen pops, but it feels sort of like steepling your fingers and swiftly pushing your hands together until your knuckles start sounding off. Hard to know exactly how many knuckles cracked, right? The difference is during CPR, you can feel under your palms and the pressure-sensing pad glued to this poor old mans chest a floating sternum. And a little red machine sitting on top of what looks like a three foot tall toolbox displays Very Important Squiggles and commands you in a stern, android voice to Push Harder.

Seriously, a robot tonight told me I wasnt cracking ribs hard enough for its sadistic pleasure.

When I started feeling one rib, then two snap like a dry branch, the robot told me Good Job.

It is an absolute blessing tonight that the other COVID patient in the room just one bed over is too sick, lethargic and confused to take in any of this.

Because shes married to this guy.

We push one amp of epi, we take turns lasting five minutes a cycle violently abusing a body. Every push pumps a little more coronavirus into the air and maybe, probably puts everyone in the room at risk for a light dusting of Plague.

Lets count them, shall we? The Intensivist himself, the Respiratory Therapist, the Anesthesiologist preparing to intubate, the other Respiratory Therapist, the nurse setting up the ventilator machine, the nurse pushing the epis, the nurse handing out goodies from the toolbox, the nurse in the room taking note of every minute of Doing Everything We Can. Oh, and me. Nine by my count.

Another amp. Another five minutes of compressions.

But the Intensivist running the show still feels a pulse. Another five minutes while the anesthesiologist sets up to intubate. Theres some discussion about whether we can ambo-bag the patient like we normally would in CPR, but maybe that makes the aerosol bomb in the room worse? We bag him anyway.

Tubes in. Five more minutes of compressions.

We hold compressions because weve gotten ROSC, Return Of Spontaneous Circulation.

The Intensivist asks to set up an Epi drip in the room. Because if two pushes of Epi kept him alive an extra 10 minutes, lets just keep the party going.

Hard Code.

It takes a while for the Epi drip to get to the room. This isnt the ICU, we dont have these things standing by. By this time the patients jugular vein looks like a fat rope sticking out of his neck. All the blood that should have been draining from his brain is now stuck in gridlock waiting to get back to the right side of the heart.

I look no further up. Ive stopped looking into Coded patients eyes. Does too much damage.

Were at about the 20 minute mark. ROSC goes back to erratic pulse, to no pulse. Very Important Squiggles still show something though, so its Pulseless Electrical Activity. We go back to compressions for next 5 minutes while we try to set up the Epi drip. ROSC again. Barely.

By now, Nursing Admin has entered the room, and theres a suggestion that maybe we dont need to Code this guy three times in a row.

This wont reverse the underlying issue. Succinctly said.

Its agreed, no more compressions.

Maybe theres a thin, thin pulse.

Now even the Squiggles are getting lethargic and arent coming as often.

Slower, slower.

Flat line.

Time of death called.

Half an hour in a COVID blast radius for nine people.

Do you see what I was trying to avoid?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the remdesivir study was about whether it helps people heal faster and it seems to. it dropped the avg hospital stay from 14 or 15 days to 11 on those who recovered. it didnt have a statistically significant effect on mortality

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

lmbo to all of this

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

MadJackal posted:

I beat myself up about running a Soft Code. In retrospect, it wasnt that Soft and I was too Hard on myself afterwards. I respected the patients wish for a trial of CPR, and inevitably it didnt work. Its ok not to grasp at every last straw if its deemed medically futile. We dont force surgeons to perform operations they know will end with the patient dead on the table, but for whatever reason in the US we do force the hands of physicians to perform this one particular unnecessary procedure.

And as of time of writing (Day, uhhhh, 41?) I just came back from a perfect example of what I was trying to avoid all those weeks ago.

See I just participated in a capital H Hard Code.

88M w/PMH of several chronic health issues, COVID positive, satting well on a NRB up until an hour ago. For a variety of reasons, he became hypoxic which caused his heart to lose its Fn mind. Rapid Response called. A couple minutes after we enter the room, the patient goes from agonal breathing to not breathing at all. Hes also barely got a pulse if you feel in juuust the right spot on his neck. Code Blue called.

The first compression is the worst because thats the push that pops the breast bone, the sternum, off the ribs adjoining it like a zipper. Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop. Seven ribs attached to the sternum in pairs, so really fourteen pops, but it feels sort of like steepling your fingers and swiftly pushing your hands together until your knuckles start sounding off. Hard to know exactly how many knuckles cracked, right? The difference is during CPR, you can feel under your palms and the pressure-sensing pad glued to this poor old mans chest a floating sternum. And a little red machine sitting on top of what looks like a three foot tall toolbox displays Very Important Squiggles and commands you in a stern, android voice to Push Harder.

Seriously, a robot tonight told me I wasnt cracking ribs hard enough for its sadistic pleasure.

When I started feeling one rib, then two snap like a dry branch, the robot told me Good Job.

It is an absolute blessing tonight that the other COVID patient in the room just one bed over is too sick, lethargic and confused to take in any of this.

Because shes married to this guy.

We push one amp of epi, we take turns lasting five minutes a cycle violently abusing a body. Every push pumps a little more coronavirus into the air and maybe, probably puts everyone in the room at risk for a light dusting of Plague.

Lets count them, shall we? The Intensivist himself, the Respiratory Therapist, the Anesthesiologist preparing to intubate, the other Respiratory Therapist, the nurse setting up the ventilator machine, the nurse pushing the epis, the nurse handing out goodies from the toolbox, the nurse in the room taking note of every minute of Doing Everything We Can. Oh, and me. Nine by my count.

Another amp. Another five minutes of compressions.

But the Intensivist running the show still feels a pulse. Another five minutes while the anesthesiologist sets up to intubate. Theres some discussion about whether we can ambo-bag the patient like we normally would in CPR, but maybe that makes the aerosol bomb in the room worse? We bag him anyway.

Tubes in. Five more minutes of compressions.

We hold compressions because weve gotten ROSC, Return Of Spontaneous Circulation.

The Intensivist asks to set up an Epi drip in the room. Because if two pushes of Epi kept him alive an extra 10 minutes, lets just keep the party going.

Hard Code.

It takes a while for the Epi drip to get to the room. This isnt the ICU, we dont have these things standing by. By this time the patients jugular vein looks like a fat rope sticking out of his neck. All the blood that should have been draining from his brain is now stuck in gridlock waiting to get back to the right side of the heart.

I look no further up. Ive stopped looking into Coded patients eyes. Does too much damage.

Were at about the 20 minute mark. ROSC goes back to erratic pulse, to no pulse. Very Important Squiggles still show something though, so its Pulseless Electrical Activity. We go back to compressions for next 5 minutes while we try to set up the Epi drip. ROSC again. Barely.

By now, Nursing Admin has entered the room, and theres a suggestion that maybe we dont need to Code this guy three times in a row.

This wont reverse the underlying issue. Succinctly said.

Its agreed, no more compressions.

Maybe theres a thin, thin pulse.

Now even the Squiggles are getting lethargic and arent coming as often.

Slower, slower.

Flat line.

Time of death called.

Half an hour in a COVID blast radius for nine people.

its a good thing i didnt study medicine because i would not be able to handle 5 minutes of this let alone 40 days

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

imagine being in hospital and your doctor is like 'we will try prayer'

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

CODChimera posted:

almost as backwards as saying in hospital

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

PawParole posted:

like do they charge for the word on noncelords island?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

CODChimera posted:

wololo

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

irpoweroutlet posted:

I feel like I should email this to a reporter. its from a longer company FAQ posted internally

most people work for this company do so in very public facing positions

I find it insane that they want you to work if a family member has tested positive, or am I reading this wrong?

It's read like a full statement, but to answer your question, "listen to the CDC recommendation and contact your supervisor" is basically "your supervisor is going to demand paperwork proving your positive diagnosis in writing and you're only going to be excused for those days, or you're going to be fired for lying and wasting company resources even if you're telling the truth."

Actually he was probably banned when FYAD was dragged behind the server farm and shot

BONGHITZ posted:

everyone drop what you are doing and buy and play "return to obra dinn". all of you. thanks.

Spoiler-free advice:
- Do some history lessons and learn about the lovely miserable world of East India Trading Company and near-indentured servitude they effected through monopoly, as well as other neat nautical-related things.

- Order of operations are important; nobody who is already dead shows up later.

- Actually read the drat book when you get it.

dex_sda posted:

gently caress the police

:hai:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PawParole posted:

on hospital?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

turd in my singlet posted:

so since the US is basically doing fuckall, when will herd immunity start to become an actual thing? i've seen claims of 60% of the population having antibodies being a figure that Sweden was working with

330 million people (US pop) * 60% of population infected = 198 million cases

198 million cases * 1% death rate = 1.98 million deaths

so.... wait for two million people to die then it's safe to go out??????

nah herd immunity is just a dumb math problem that has nothing to do with reality. its just asking for a rate of infection and then giving you a number of immune ppl needed to break the replication cycle and have it fizzle out. eventually. if you are lucky. and also the rate of infection is reasonable in the first place. and also you are talking about an initial outbreak not millions of spreaders walking around spreading it up. its just a seventh grade word problem it isnt a freaking guideline.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

MadJackal posted:

poo poo. I could never ever do this. :cry:

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

poty posted:

its a good thing i didnt study medicine because i would not be able to handle 5 minutes of this let alone 40 days

for real. my mom is a respiratory therapist, and i couldn't handle even the non-COVID related poo poo she tells me about. i'd have a loving breakdown

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CODChimera posted:

on hospital?

an hospital

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

CODChimera posted:

on hospital?

"in the hospital" or "in a hospital," but not just "in hospital" as if "hospital" is like heaven or hell.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

turd in my singlet posted:

so since the US is basically doing fuckall, when will herd immunity start to become an actual thing? i've seen claims of 60% of the population having antibodies being a figure that Sweden was working with

330 million people (US pop) * 60% of population infected = 198 million cases

198 million cases * 1% death rate = 1.98 million deaths

so.... wait for two million people to die then it's safe to go out??????

no one knows, if the covid gets mutating like flu it's just going to be a fact of life

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

cgeq posted:

"in the hospital" or "in a hospital," but not just "in hospital" as if "hospital" is like heaven or hell.

I'm at home, can't go out

I'm in school right now, can't talk

I'm in the hospital right now, can't breathe

ok English whatever you say

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Thoguh posted:

Good news, chuds are making violent threats about being forced to wear a mask and increasingly the response is to just give in.

https://twitter.com/StwNewsPress/status/1256370089542197248?s=19

Imagine being such a pussy that when someone says they're not going to do something they don't want to do and because they are white and yelling at you, you just say, "okay do what ever you want". Like, why isn't it to round them up and lock them up and shave their hair claiming they have lice? They want a loving hair cut. Take their freedom, give them a felony for terroristic threats, felons can't legally own guns anymore and good luck getting one of those jobs "the illegals" are taking or renting/dating/etc, IF you don't die in lockup. The reason is they are either afraid of them or feel the same way. The tables are not being turned because they don't want them to be

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Solarin posted:

this is why astroturfing this poo poo is so effective. all these people need is a hired on leader to churn their white rage into froth that the media cannot resist covering.

Hard to rage when it's 10C out and everyone in Australia is getting $3,000 per.month to stay home.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

cgeq posted:

well if the doctor is choosing prayer treatment then maybe it is hell?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Antonymous posted:

I'm in school right now, can't talk

shouldn't this be at? not to give english credit but I think when you say "you're in school" you mean you are still attending some sort of school, not referring to the building

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the wife muttering one last sike before expiring, she still had it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CODChimera posted:

well if the doctor is choosing prayer treatment then maybe it is hell?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

As a Canadian in Aus I have had the "the hospital" argument already and had to concede the Aussie/Brit way is more logical.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

dex_sda posted:

shouldn't this be at? not to give english credit but I think when you say "you're in school" you mean you are still attending some sort of school, not referring to the building

how about "I'm in class right now"

I'm at work / I'm in the office

English blows, worst lingua franca ever

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Antonymous posted:

oh it sux for sure

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if its a literal physical building (hospital, theater, restaurant) you have to use a pronoun like A or The, if its an abstract place thats not just a building you just say At or In (heaven, home).

The confusion comes from the fact that we use the same word to refer to both the building/physical place as well as the abstract (prison, school)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/BarstoolNewsN/status/1256223127937392640

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Antonymous posted:

whats the equivalent for I am at work?

I am at education?

I guess school fits, but people can be in school too, but not in work.

(not disagreeing with you just commenting on the absurd inconsistencies in English)

Woofer has issued a correction as of 14:35 on May 2, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

dex_sda posted:

As already said, it would probably be more accurate if they said in class. If you said you're at school you could be standing outside it. It's within the realm of acceptability to shorthand in school, can't talk imo. It provides more context then at school, can't talk

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Woofer posted:

what’s the equivalent for I am at work?

I am at education?

(not disagreeing with you just commenting on the absurd inconsistencies in English)

I am at school is the same as 'I am at work' and 'I'm in a meeting' is the same as 'I am in class'. English is full of stupid inconsistencies but you are reaching.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

As already said, it would probably be more accurate if they said in class. If you said you're at school you could be standing outside it. It's within the realm of acceptability to shorthand in school, can't talk imo. It provides more context then at school, can't talk

sidestep the issue by loudly screaming "english sucks" into the receiver, they'll understand

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1256191656359010304

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Woofer posted:

whats the equivalent for I am at work?

I am at education?

you cant be in work because work is an activity not a place (the phrase at work technically means actively working, not physically at your place of work, hence hard at work)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

what if your in an area with many hospitals?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I still contend that Hatful of Sky was Pratchett taking shots at Rowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CODChimera posted:

what if your in an area with many hospitals?

Well then you're no doubt somewhere other than the US so you're probably not speaking English anyway