Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

cgeq posted:

"in the hospital" or "in a hospital," but not just "in hospital" as if "hospital" is like heaven or hell.

"in hospital" is fairly common in British English.

Likewise, "I'm in school" which in American English would be "I'm in a/the school"?
"I'm in/at church" vs "I'm in the church"

But it only works for some things because English in all forms is stupid, so you can't say "I'm in store" or "I'm on bus".

e: snype

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 14:55 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Is it "I'm in a derailed thread" or "I'm in derailed thread"?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BMX Ninja posted:

Likewise, "I'm in school" which in American English would be "I'm in a/the school"?

But it only works for some things because English in all forms is stupid, so you can't say "I'm in store" or "I'm on bus".

“I’m in school” in American English means you’re enrolled in classes and not talking about a physical school building

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

im here where r u

in restaurant

wtf do u even english

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Neil gaiman is cool and good

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

you can’t be “in work” because work is an activity not a place (the phrase at work technically means actively working, not physically at your place of work, hence “hard at work”)

you can go into work tho

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Gillette Stadium is a stadium in the northeastern United States, located in Foxborough, Massachusetts...The seating capacity is 65,878,

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Renaissance Spam posted:

I still contend that Hatful of Sky was Pratchett taking shots at Rowling.

Was he really upset about having the idea of a school for magic stolen from him by Rowling? He wasn't the first to come up with idea.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

this reminded me that when my dad was dying, there was a dude that nobody knew in the ICU room with my grandpa and we couldn't figure out who he was.

turned out he was a "faith healer" my grandpa hired to come in and pray my dad back to good health. I've often wondered how much my grandpa paid for that scam

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

kater posted:

positive cases grew linearly the entire month of April. +30k sick every day. presumably because testing was at capacity. early mid April New York was 30-40%, once 50% of that. this last week it was only ever 15%. still same 30k growth. the rest of the country is more than capable of picking up the slack.

like it doesn’t even make sense. 30k cases but the deaths are 2k sometimes close to 3k? and possibly underreported up to 40-50%? this thing doesn’t kill 10% of people, it’s just hidden as gently caress
UK, Italy, Spain and France all have death rates over 10%. Are they all as bad as the US at testing?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Singapore is having a big breakout after stifling the virus the first time around

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also it feels weird that we haven't heard barely anything from the southern hemisphere in general

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

SKULL.GIF posted:

Singapore is having a big breakout after stifling the virus the first time around

It's gonna rule when we learn protection only lasts a few weeks and the herd immunity people melt into screeching puddles of denial

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also it feels weird that we haven't heard barely anything from the southern hemisphere in general

I mean Brazil seems determined to gently caress this up even more than us, so there's that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blarghalt posted:

I mean Brazil seems determined to gently caress this up even more than us, so there's that.

It's like... Peru and Brasil? Like 17k in Chile? And nothing else? India somehow has only half China's cases despite putting in the absolute bare minimum effort instead of what China did, lock down the entire country and aggressive contact tracing. Most African countries are reporting cases in the thousands, with like 1-2 coming to the five digits. AU/NZ are 6700 and 1500 each.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's like... Peru and Brasil? Like 17k in Chile? And nothing else? India somehow has only half China's cases despite putting in the absolute bare minimum effort instead of what China did, lock down the entire country and aggressive contact tracing. Most African countries are reporting cases in the thousands, with like 1-2 coming to the five digits. AU/NZ are 6700 and 1500 each.

it's been loving ecuador up for awhile now, their excess deaths are through the roof and bodies have literally been piling up in the streets of their biggest city

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Is it "I'm in a derailed thread" or "I'm in derailed thread"?

All threads are derailed by default, so it's just itt

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Isn't Ecuador piling up bodies in the streets like a renaissance city during the Black Death?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Collateral posted:

Was he really upset about having the idea of a school for magic stolen from him by Rowling? He wasn't the first to come up with idea.

If he was bitter I suspect it had more to do with her selling more books than him, but I like to think it was him criticizing the extreme materialism of Rowling's books. There's a whole bit in HFoS where he talks about how buying stuff doesn't make you a witch which really stuck out in my mind as a pointed remark.

From what I've read about Pratchett he had a very short internal fuse, and while he rarely outwardly expressed his negative emotions he was basically a pressure cooker of anger and frustration at other people. Knowing this makes some of his writing make a LOT more sense (Pretty much anything with Sam Vimes is basically Pratchett's internal monologue).

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

SKULL.GIF posted:

FWIW only like 10% of the world's population lives in the southern hemisphere. Outside of Brazil, Indonesia, and the Congo there's not (comparatively) much.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Blister posted:

It's gonna rule when we learn protection only lasts a few weeks and the herd immunity people melt into screeching puddles of denial

Herd immunity is a political fantasy cooked up by the west because disease control and prevention is fundamentally incompatible with modern liberalism

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Herd immunity is a political fantasy cooked up by the west because disease control and prevention is fundamentally incompatible with modern liberalism

Excellent username post combo there

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't herd immunity only work if the disease hasn't loving turned into a pandemic?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Blarghalt posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't herd immunity only work if the disease hasn't loving turned into a pandemic?

You're wrong. It's just that herd immunity is typically discussed as immunity from vaccines but the same principals apply

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
herd immunity, more like nerd immunity

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’m watching PA social media and it’s completely loving insane, reopening is being presented as the only reasonable choice between “stay home and go bankrupt” or “go to work and possibly die.” Anyone who suggests caution is a neckbeard loser who lives in their mom’s basement and has no job. It really is incredible.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

no it’s a real term that’s being misappropriated by idiots to justify their inaction.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

BMX Ninja posted:

e: snype

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I drove in to hospital for call and I came to the realization that it is impossible to do a proper lockdown. There is just no way to do this in america without a strong well coordinated plan from the federal government with heavy use of national guard.

Just loving open it all back up who loving cares anymore, rip the band aid off America's gaping you know what and let the small business tyrants enjoy their hastened bankruptcy as the 30 million unemployed remain unemployed with no discretionary spending.

Only way we can get any leftward progression is if we just accelerationist this bad boy and let all the succ libs and chuds realize how absolutely hosed it all is when we come out of quarantine.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Blarghalt posted:

The issue with trying to herd immunity your way out of this by giving it to everyone is that:

1. nobody knows how long immunity lasts, with coronaviruses in the same family it can be as long as 2 years or as little as 2-3 months.

2. by letting it spread you invite uncontrolled levels of mutations, visit nextstrain.org/ncov and take a look at how few genetically distinct strains there are from the chinese/asian outbreak (in purple) compared to the west making GBS threads the bed and letting it spread. this means you are trying to plan group immunity for a constantly moving target. it is a dangerous assumption because a genetically distinct enough strain could reignite infections among previously recovered people. this was seen in 2014 west africa with the ebola outbreak, they asked for previous ebola survivors to volunteer at containment facilities until those people also got sick and died from the new strain.

3. while your country is battling flareups, countries with a disciplined 2 month lockdown can safely resume travel after eradicating the virus from its borders. it isn't a nano plague like the gray death in deus ex, it needs hosts and cannot survive for more than 72 hours on smooth surfaces. those countries will form travel and trade pacts with each other and not plague-ridden shitholes like the non-oceania anglosphere and western europe.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The ideal scenario would be instant nationalization of hospitals with a trillion dollar coin robust funding along with finally doing something about ppe and testing.

But you know, just continuing on without ever addressing ppe and testing along with hospitals laying off staff because the board had no way to prepare for 1 month of revenue cut in half is fine too.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

I drove in to hospital for call and I came to the realization that it is impossible to do a proper lockdown. There is just no way to do this in america without a strong well coordinated plan from the federal government with heavy use of national guard.

Just loving open it all back up who loving cares anymore, rip the band aid off America's gaping you know what and let the small business tyrants enjoy their hastened bankruptcy as the 30 million unemployed remain unemployed with no discretionary spending.

Only way we can get any leftward progression is if we just accelerationist this bad boy and let all the succ libs and chuds realize how absolutely hosed it all is when we come out of quarantine.

Talking to people on the internet that aren’t in this thread is frustrating as gently caress because so many of them never grow past their teen boy “sociopathy is badass” phase and think it’s cool and masculine to talk about how grandpa needs to die so they can go golfing. It’s beyond depressing.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Seeing all these people out in Wilmington because it's a beautiful spring day. The right is going to cruise to victory as they save the day by giving americans freedom and suppressing the covid tallies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Seeing all these people out in Wilmington because it's a beautiful spring day. The right is going to cruise to victory as they save the day by giving americans freedom and suppressing the covid tallies.

Well it's the one weird trick they did in Florida, most likely to protect Chud boss Ron Desantis.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Talking to people on the internet that aren’t in this thread is frustrating as gently caress because so many of them never grow past their teen boy “sociopathy is badass” phase and think it’s cool and masculine to talk about how grandpa needs to die so they can go golfing. It’s beyond depressing.

grandpa's on his own for this pandemic thing but don't you dare ok boomer him

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Asproigerosis posted:

lol, accelerationism is a bunch of just world claptrap. there is no reason at all to expect utopia to come out of letting the not-very-good situation we have go completely into the shitter, it's more likely to get stuck in an even worse state. cf. the dark ages

although I guess tell yourself whatever you have to to have some hope :shrug:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

What do you mean?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is trump 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

The issue with trying to herd immunity your way out of this by giving it to everyone is that:

1. nobody knows how long immunity lasts, with coronaviruses in the same family it can be as long as 2 years or as little as 2-3 months.

2. by letting it spread you invite uncontrolled levels of mutations, visit nextstrain.org/ncov and take a look at how few genetically distinct strains there are from the chinese/asian outbreak (in purple) compared to the west making GBS threads the bed and letting it spread. this means you are trying to plan group immunity for a constantly moving target. it is a dangerous assumption because a genetically distinct enough strain could reignite infections among previously recovered people. this was seen in 2014 west africa with the ebola outbreak, they asked for previous ebola survivors to volunteer at containment facilities until those people also got sick and died from the new strain.

3. while your country is battling flareups, countries with a disciplined 2 month lockdown can safely resume travel after eradicating the virus from its borders. it isn't a nano plague like the gray death in deus ex, it needs hosts and cannot survive for more than 72 hours on smooth surfaces. those countries will form travel and trade pacts with each other and not plague-ridden shitholes like the non-oceania anglosphere and western europe.

what effect would bolded have on vaccine development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
opening back up in Texas is going great:

click to watch video of a park ranger being pushed into a lake for asking people to engage in social distancing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/gbait0/austin_parks_ranger_gets_pushed_in_water_at/

👍🏻

that guy has been arrested amd charged with attempted assault