Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Drone worked well on the first day but there was a rippin current just off the beach for some reason today. The current is usually way out there. Basically unfishable. We packed up and moved to a spot on the St. John's river and caught some blues, whiting and a sea robin. Next guy over brought in a four foot black tip. I had something big on but like an idiot I hadn't readjusted the drag from the last fish and it was too tight. Lost the fish and the whole rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh, I couldn't use the drone at the river as it's mil airspace, but I was happy the concept worked fine with a three ounce weight and prob another two ounces in bait and tackle. I flew it about 400 feet past the beach waterline. I could go further, but you know, scared.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s awesome. Those dudes who paddle out to drop bait are gonna be out of a job.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

I've rigged a drop system on my drone to try to fly out past the sandbar edge. It's way too far to even wade and cast. Gonna try it out this week I think if I can keep the courage up. It'll be an expensive disaster if I gently caress it up.
Some rednecks were shark fishing with a potato gun at my beach last year. They could get pretty good distance with that thing. Not sure how legal it was, though.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Went bank fishing in a downpour and broke off on a rock and a tree. Still, went fishing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Woodpile posted:

Went bank fishing in a downpour and broke off on a rock and a tree. Still, went fishing.

Nice.

Tried the new crab traps the other day and caught half a dozen little blue crabs after a two hour soak. Nothing worth keeping but the traps worked well. I used the scraps from the blue fish I caught the other day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

Nice.

Tried the new crab traps the other day and caught half a dozen little blue crabs after a two hour soak. Nothing worth keeping but the traps worked well. I used the scraps from the blue fish I caught the other day.

You can do it!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Any Colorado goons want to hang out and go fishing? I primarily fly fish, but at this point with high water coming in, it’s just as good jigging or using cranks.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Y’all got some of the best kayak fishing for pacific rock fish, scorpionfish and lingcod all excellent eating. The party boats will show you what it’s all about but with a little effort and some gear you can do very well for yourself.

My father has a pretty decent hobie kayak with the pedals and my car even has a roof rack. So now i’m looking at starter kits that have everything i’d need. I see tons of people fishing off the pier, but I never see anyone catch anything. Let alone catch a big kickass fish.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Tasty fish are everywhere. Do you want white fleshed mild fish, meaty tuna style boys, or rich oily fish? A party boat will set you up, or hire a guide/ boat captain and tell them you want to fill the freezer.

I love halibut, tuna, cod. My taste in fish is very typical. Basically anything thats easy enough for a nub to catch and tastes decent. In Jr High I used to spear fish with a buddy, but we didn’t catch much, but it was still fun.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uh yeah a hobie kayak is top of the line. Since you got the big ticket items buy a really nice life preserver and start doing some fishing research.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Uh yeah a hobie kayak is top of the line. Since you got the big ticket items buy a really nice life preserver and start doing some fishing research.

Every fall I see Hobies go on sale, get excited, then remember it's still a $4,000 kayak. I have a cheapo Perception sit on top that is great but man, I'd love to have a Hobie and be able to troll and cast at the same time. Those videos of guys going offshore in Hobies and bringing in tuna and halibut is amazing.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Back in San Diego it was pretty much mando to have a Hobie if you wanted to win tournaments. I'm thinking of getting another for farting around the inland waterway down here. I remember punching through the surf at La Jolla to go after yellowtail in the kelp and being dragged around by them. I had a fish finder and a home made live well on that kayak but I got into other stuff and it sat around most of the time. I keep convincing and unconvincing myself to buy a proper boat so I think getting back into kayaking might scratch the itch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yooper posted:

Every fall I see Hobies go on sale, get excited, then remember it's still a $4,000 kayak. I have a cheapo Perception sit on top that is great but man, I'd love to have a Hobie and be able to troll and cast at the same time. Those videos of guys going offshore in Hobies and bringing in tuna and halibut is amazing.

I’m buying peddle perception when I get back from my next deployment.

So I’m taking my sit on top kayak out on Tuesday. Will be attempting to go after cabezon and lingcod in the Puget sound. I got some tips on areas to go to. They are in range of my ability to paddle to. Gonna be a fun challenge since I don’t have depth finder to see the bottom.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m buying peddle perception when I get back from my next deployment.

So I’m taking my sit on top kayak out on Tuesday. Will be attempting to go after cabezon and lingcod in the Puget sound. I got some tips on areas to go to. They are in range of my ability to paddle to. Gonna be a fun challenge since I don’t have depth finder to see the bottom.

What were the tips like, what kind of areas are you working off? Whats your setup going to be like? Mooching? It's about that time baby I'm so excited to get out on the water. South of seattle?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What were the tips like, what kind of areas are you working off? Whats your setup going to be like? Mooching? It's about that time baby I'm so excited to get out on the water. South of seattle?

I live very close to harpers pier in port orchard. I can paddle to the SW side of Blake island in 30-40 minutes. Currently due to the season I want to target cabezon and lingcod. I know the NW tip going straight East should be good for cabezon and the SW corner should have a diving buoy on structure for divers and lingcods.

Gonna be tossing small bars and hoochies and see what I can scare up. If I skunk hard I’ll go for sand dabs in the sand.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Here’s my chart.

I’m coming from the sw corner. Don’t think I’m gonna try for anything on the NE side due to distance.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I have been fishing out of my Hobie Outback for a decade and would never go back to a normal kayak ever. All I fish is ponds with the occasional lake and river thrown in for fun. Having access to that style kayak is amazing for fishing, buy a good life jacket that's comfortable and go to town on those fish.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Used a new knot -- the Rapala knot. Did not break before the line when I snagged a log. Two redbreasted sunfish and lots of bumps.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

LingcodKilla posted:

I live very close to harpers pier in port orchard. I can paddle to the SW side of Blake island in 30-40 minutes. Currently due to the season I want to target cabezon and lingcod. I know the NW tip going straight East should be good for cabezon and the SW corner should have a diving buoy on structure for divers and lingcods.

Gonna be tossing small bars and hoochies and see what I can scare up. If I skunk hard I’ll go for sand dabs in the sand.

Blake is so close to my regular gently caress around spot, that's hilarious. If you see an old fart in a 12' aluminum, wave. I've always wanted to catch a big ling. I hit southworth for salmon or the SE side of blake. There are some killer sea run cutty spots in the area too. Hoochies are great but I ended up going cheap over the years and getting mooching rigs at big 5 or outdoor emporium.

I have the weirdest draw to explore south of the ferry there on the eastside. There are some small streams that run to the ocean and I'm pretty sure it has a big dropoff but I haven't had much luck

Rythe posted:

I have been fishing out of my Hobie Outback for a decade and would never go back to a normal kayak ever. All I fish is ponds with the occasional lake and river thrown in for fun. Having access to that style kayak is amazing for fishing, buy a good life jacket that's comfortable and go to town on those fish.

My pops just retired and was going to get a cheap kayak and duct tape PVC tubes to it and try and do it himself. I told him he should splurge and get a nice fishing kayak setup, any recs? Old man should have one nice thing in this lovely world, gently caress!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

If he has the money Hobie is top of the line. Get a Outback for rivers and lakes or a Revolution if he is going ocean fishing. If your dad really has the money a Hobie Pro Angler is amazing.

I honestly think Hobie is worth the price tag, so many of my buddies bought kayaks only to convert to fishing with a Hobie due to ease and convenience. Plus you can typically get one used online fairly easily.

Also my seat pan cracked on my 8 year old Hobie which is super out of warranty a few years ago. I called Hobie and they said get with the local kayak dealer, pay the $80 to ship the broken one back and Hobie exchanged it for a brand new kayak for free. That is amazing customer service and partially why my wife has one and my daughter will have one soon.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Rythe posted:

If he has the money Hobie is top of the line. Get a Outback for rivers and lakes or a Revolution if he is going ocean fishing. If your dad really has the money a Hobie Pro Angler is amazing.

I honestly think Hobie is worth the price tag, so many of my buddies bought kayaks only to convert to fishing with a Hobie due to ease and convenience. Plus you can typically get one used online fairly easily.

Also my seat pan cracked on my 8 year old Hobie which is super out of warranty a few years ago. I called Hobie and they said get with the local kayak dealer, pay the $80 to ship the broken one back and Hobie exchanged it for a brand new kayak for free. That is amazing customer service and partially why my wife has one and my daughter will have one soon.

Great stuff, I'll push for him to get the pro. How is it moving those things to and from the water? That would be a bigger dealbreaker than the price

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Blake is so close to my regular gently caress around spot, that's hilarious. If you see an old fart in a 12' aluminum, wave. I've always wanted to catch a big ling. I hit southworth for salmon or the SE side of blake. There are some killer sea run cutty spots in the area too. Hoochies are great but I ended up going cheap over the years and getting mooching rigs at big 5 or outdoor emporium.

I have the weirdest draw to explore south of the ferry there on the eastside. There are some small streams that run to the ocean and I'm pretty sure it has a big dropoff but I haven't had much luck

I’ll be in a smallish green standard yak with a blue vest. When not away on Navy stuff I crab that area all season. Love my red rocks. Trolling is something I want to do once I get a pedal yak but I could certainly drift mooch once I learn the area I suppose.

I mean it’s totally empty of giant red rocks you should definitely not trap there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Great stuff, I'll push for him to get the pro. How is it moving those things to and from the water? That would be a bigger dealbreaker than the price

With a truck bed or towing cradle, temporary wheels for the yak and a ramp it’s a one healthy man job.

Put on top of your car and carry down to the water? Woof fully loaded fishing kayaks can get heavy fast.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The pro angler is definitely a truck bed and kart situation. I load my Outback on roof racks on my Kia Hatchback easily and just drag it through the grass to get to the water, with that being said I'm a 36 year old that's in great shape, so body type will greatly impact the ease of transportation. Takes me about 15 minutes to load and secure and about 10 to unload and fit my gear and hit the water.

Having a truck turns this into a super simple process, again vehicle and body health impacts this.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I haven't been caught a fish in about 3 months so you get to read me sperging about kayaks...

Pro Anglers, AIs, and even Outbacks (since the new model is a fair but bigger than the old ones) would be much better with a trailer. I've seen people modify jetski trailers and that seems to work really well. I've also seen a couple of bits of timber on to of an old box trailer with marine carpet glued to the upper surfaces, which also seemed to work really well.

The new PA with the upgraded mirage drive looks awesome but my recommendation would be to wait until they've been around for a year or so before getting one because there might be a few issues with that drive that need fixing. They had some problems with the 180 drive which eventually led to the local Hobie dealer here recommending people just go with the turbo fins instead. Some plastic part rubbed on something metal or something, and gradually it just got sloppier and sloppier.

I have a Native Watercraft Slayer 13 and having tried that and tried a Hobie I definitely prefer the Propel drive. Instant reverse, and I go a lot faster than people in Hobies. Downside with it is that you can't use it in really shallow water, and it gets weeded really easily. It's also pretty solid and I feel better about the Propel drive's chances of surviving an encounter with a snag than the fin of a mirage drive.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I realized today dropshotting may be entirely viable from the bank on the deep phosphate/limestone pits near me. I've also been practicing tying the palomar knot during lockdown which makes me feel like this is destined to be.

Watch the fish in these ponds just laugh at me like they have the last umpteen times I've thrown something new and novel to try and coax the bass in these particular ponds into biting. I can see a handful of 3-4 pounders cruising every time I go there, just taunting me. :v:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
With everything fun banned including fishing I've been going through the freezer and digging out all the fish I vac sealed and never got around to eating.

Tonight's is curried flathead. I had a little bag of some fancy pants curry mix that I've had lying around for ages, so I mixed it up with some wholemeal flour, dunked the fish in it, then into some egg, back into the flour and onto a frying pan that is not too hot or the curry will burn. loving delicious.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kayak talk made me dig out the boat and head out for the lakes.

Uh oh.

There we go, that's better! Trolled about for rainbows but got nothing. Was windy as hell. Saw some dudes running slip bobbers and minnows that caught a couple but I had no minnows.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Alright, so my new boat is ready for fishing and so is my body. I've never fished from a boat before so I'm kinda clueless. Here is a map of the lake I'd be going to. Where are the likely spots you guys would try first?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

Alright, so my new boat is ready for fishing and so is my body. I've never fished from a boat before so I'm kinda clueless. Here is a map of the lake I'd be going to. Where are the likely spots you guys would try first?

There's a lot of choices on that lake. I assume you're bass and walleye fishing?

I'd go to the shallower areas, work those brush piles for bass. In the center I'd do a circuit with rapala's along the breaks, jigs and leeches near the brush piles, and crawler harnesses/lindy rigs for a drift. Once the weather gets hot I'd shift to that deeper water for walleye with jigs, minnows, and deep divers.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yooper beat me to the walleye advice, so I'll just second exactly what he said. drifting leeches near the bottom and suspend minnows a few feet off the bottom hooked through the back around the dropoffs near shore would be my first choice, but that's just what my dad and his buds would always do

also that point + breakwater near the marina on the NE end looks like a nice spot to post up if you can without getting in the way of traffic

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I always see a lot of boats lined up on that eastern flat edge. It's the high side of a dam. Why might that be?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It provides a bunch of current the fish can chill by while waiting for baitfish to come by.

Being an artificial lake, you will have some very likely structure on the lake, namely old road beds and wood. Both are good high percentage points for bass. Where exactly and how you fish will depend more on whether you're going for largemouth or smallmouth.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I'm hoping to get out there soon, reports are saying bass are mid-spawn.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

I would target walleye on those dropoff just northeast of ramp 7 with leeches on a 1/4 oz chartreuse jig head. I'd drift from 12-30', constantly keeping your bait a foot or two off the bottom, jigging for action. Look for and target rocky bottom areas.

If you can find them, those brush piles around ramp 4 should have spawning crappie on them. crappie minnow on an 1/8 oz jig head should work. Slow jigging will help you detect bites. They don't call them papermouthes for a reason.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

I always see a lot of boats lined up on that eastern flat edge. It's the high side of a dam. Why might that be?
Likely targeting the wipers. Might be suspended walleye also.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Just wanted to mention that in my part of the country bass and walleye are still closed except for immediate c&r which really takes away some of the appeal for me personally since I am trying to eat all the fish

I even like to eat the bass. It isn't the best but I've never found it to be bad. I bleed them immediately which is supposed to help keep the meat more firm, and only ever chunk them and batter fry.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Thanks dudes, I'll try some of these spots and report back.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Got 3 excellent white crappie to fry up for the Fiancè's birthday dinner. One on my first cast :p All on the fantastic jig heads made by A Pack Of Kobolds, with a yellow curly tailed grub, under a weighted bobber. Actually, all on a SINGLE jig head. All perfectly hooked as well, all lipped. Will get pics later.

titties posted:

I even like to eat the bass. It isn't the best but I've never found it to be bad. I bleed them immediately which is supposed to help keep the meat more firm, and only ever chunk them and batter fry.

I did Large Mouth Bass Chowder last time I ate them, it was perfect.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Got 3 excellent white crappie to fry up for the Fiancè's birthday dinner. One on my first cast :p All on the fantastic jig heads made by A Pack Of Kobolds, with a yellow curly tailed grub, under a weighted bobber. Actually, all on a SINGLE jig head. All perfectly hooked as well, all lipped. Will get pics later.

I did Large Mouth Bass Chowder last time I ate them, it was perfect.

:hellyeah: I'm really glad that the jigs performed to your liking! Hit me up if you ever need more. :tipshat:

That offer is open to all y'all, too. PM me if you need something that I can make. Hell, you don't even have to need it. PM me if you are even mildly interested in something that I can make.