Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

After 15 hours I can confirm that it's still the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

what effect would bolded have on vaccine development

What vaccine?

Edit:
That is the answer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

kater posted:

positive cases grew linearly the entire month of April. +30k sick every day. presumably because testing was at capacity. early mid April New York was 30-40%, once 50% of that. this last week it was only ever 15%. still same 30k growth. the rest of the country is more than capable of picking up the slack.

like it doesn’t even make sense. 30k cases but the deaths are 2k sometimes close to 3k? and possibly underreported up to 40-50%? this thing doesn’t kill 10% of people, it’s just hidden as gently caress

I think people seriously underestimate how common it is for Americans to just have no medical care period, around 20% of Americans just don't get medical care of any sort. Not exactly because they're poor or homeless, it's more complicated than that. These people are much more prone to try to ride out serious illness without getting help and if they develop serious CV they're a lot more likely to die outside of doctor care.

https://civicscience.com/20-u-s-adults-not-seen-doctor-past-year/

quote:

Generally healthy people are more likely to answer None–therefore we can speculate that people aren’t seeking preventative care, even if they consider themselves to be fine, likely because they cannot afford to.

We also found a regional correlation: People who live in the US West are more likely to answer None. We’ve seen that in some parts of the US West, health care is the most expensive in the nation. Men are more likely to be never-goers.

Did this group look any different in 2014 before the decline started?

Not really. In fact, the makeup of U.S. adults by generation of never-goers is nearly identical in 2014 to this group over the last 365 days. Same with income.

This comes down to one’s opinion of their own health, how much money they make and therefore, have in their pockets to spend. Renters are more likely than homeowners to not go to the doctor. As are city dwellers. So no surprises. Even though the Affordable Care Act aimed to make health care affordable, it may not have done it. The general increase in health care costs is a trend, too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty hilarious how the dumb Chug "rugged individualist" attitude Americans have

-Don't tell me what to do!
-My Freedoms!
-Medical and Scientific facts are fake news!
-A magical man in the sky will protect you from a virus.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

facetoucher cat posted:

I don't want to be sick anymore. It's now hard to breathe and once I start coughing I almost puke it gets so violent. My stupid test was negative so if I don't have it then what's wrong with me? My doctor said something about other viruses they're seeing that are, and I quote, "not the flu but just as bad as covid-19" but WTF is that supposed to mean? Like? WTF? She also said she's not convinced I don't have it. What's the point of a test if it's not totally valid? Why would they put that on the market? I'm afraid to call her because I don't want to upset my husband who started to get angry with me yesterday for still being sick and all whiny and I get it, I was being pathetic and I guess he's going to say this is my normal asthma or something but that hasn't given me issues in a little bit. I'm scared and don't really have anywhere to turn. This is all bullshit
I’m glad your nebulizer helped facetoucher cat but I wanted to let you know that you don’t deserve anyone getting angry at you for being sick. You’re not doing anything wrong and it’s real hosed up if your husband is giving you any poo poo for it. Being sick is really scary and feels helpless and it legit sucks. There’s nothing wrong with a sick person “being pathetic” even if it’s asthma. Do what you can to take care of yourself and don’t be afraid to seek medical help.

Didn’t they do this study with cancer patients and it turned out that the group that got prayed for had worse outcomes?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

thank you, npr

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ah, the rational and intelligent network

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

It'll actually be good to have a controlled study to cite so I can say "actually, it has been proven that prayer is not effective"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

opening back up in Texas is going great:

click to watch video of a park ranger being pushed into a lake for asking people to engage in social distancing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/gbait0/austin_parks_ranger_gets_pushed_in_water_at/

👍🏻

that guy has been arrested amd charged with attempted assault

Attempted assault of a public servant, which is a felony and carries a maximum sentence of two years in jail or a $10,000 fine
https://knue.com/watch-texas-man-shoves-park-ranger-into-water-after-being-reminded-of-social-distancing/

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/1256352953159626754?s=20

lmao

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mad.radhu posted:

as it turns out, political power grows out of the barrel of a gun

Garfield was right...

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

opening back up in Texas is going great:

click to watch video of a park ranger being pushed into a lake for asking people to engage in social distancing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/gbait0/austin_parks_ranger_gets_pushed_in_water_at/

👍🏻

that guy has been arrested amd charged with attempted assault

trump pardons

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’d be cool if they specifically mentioned which picket lines not to cross, since ordering from instacart or amazon doesn’t require physically crossing anything

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Declan MacManus posted:

itd be cool if they specifically mentioned which picket lines not to cross, since ordering from instacart or amazon doesnt require physically crossing anything

pretty sure they mean the ones protecting biden

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

New CSPAM 2020 forum background along with the Ghana coffin dancers.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

neutral milf hotel posted:

Garfield was right...

real garf hours

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

English using a helper verb for present tense expressions makes me so mad I hate it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Charlz Guybon posted:

UK, Italy, Spain and France all have death rates over 10%. Are they all as bad as the US at testing?

i mean yeah more or less they were all similarly overwhelmed with a big sudden outbreak when they hadnt started thinking about testing

germanys mortality rate is 5% but they also have a ton more icu beds than everyone else for some reason (reason is likely good smart long-term planning)

poty has issued a correction as of 16:45 on May 2, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Didn’t they do this study with cancer patients and it turned out that the group that got prayed for had worse outcomes?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16569567

Cardiac bypass not cancer. Prayer had no effect on recovery unless you knew you were being prayed for in which case patients did worse.

I’m sure some churches did a study where 100% of patients were healed with prayer though so who can say if it helps?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/TraceyRyniec/status/1256609504256569344

this assumes that (western) europe and america are gonna start looking at what works in asia and implement it

which is probably wrong if you look at how masks are still considered spooky 2 months into the disaster

poty has issued a correction as of 16:48 on May 2, 2020

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

loamo lmaorf everything is so stupid

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1256610595798781952

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
The blue angels and thunderbirds just flew over my house wonder how much this dumb bullshit cost lol

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

turd in my singlet posted:

so since the US is basically doing fuckall, when will herd immunity start to become an actual thing? i've seen claims of 60% of the population having antibodies being a figure that Sweden was working with

330 million people (US pop) * 60% of population infected = 198 million cases

198 million cases * 1% death rate = 1.98 million deaths

so.... wait for two million people to die then it's safe to go out??????

i think that's part of the point

it depends on the rate of transmission. herd immunity might not even be achievable for long if you can end up getting the virus again

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

turd in my singlet posted:

so since the US is basically doing fuckall, when will herd immunity start to become an actual thing? i've seen claims of 60% of the population having antibodies being a figure that Sweden was working with

330 million people (US pop) * 60% of population infected = 198 million cases

198 million cases * 1% death rate = 1.98 million deaths

so.... wait for two million people to die then it's safe to go out??????

i think that's part of the point
Other people have pointed out how the herd immunity plan might straight up not work anyway, but I just want to mention that the 60% number was based on an R0 of 2.5. With the revised R0 of 5.7, it'd be 83%, with the confidence interval putting the final death toll at between 2.4 to 2.9 million deaths. (24-29 million dead if you assume a 10% death rate from overwhelmed hospitals.)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Good news, chuds are making violent threats about being forced to wear a mask and increasingly the response is to just give in.

https://twitter.com/StwNewsPress/status/1256370089542197248?s=19

terrorists

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ragtime All The Time posted:

loamo lmaorf everything is so stupid

but it could get so much stupider

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
exponential stupidity growth on a logarithmic scale

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The blue angels and thunderbirds just flew over my house wonder how much this dumb bullshit cost lol

I was sleeping and it woke me up :argh:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/NoContextHumans/status/1256607580559945728?s=20

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

snoo posted:

I was sleeping and it woke me up :argh:

I happened to be looking out the window and saw them but I see them every year for Navy commencement

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

snoo posted:

terrorists

Yeah, these people have as much grounds to be arrested for terrorism as the people saying they have COVID-19 while coughing all over the grocery store's wares. The difference is that the coughing terrorism interrupts the flow of business and this kind of terrorism is about hastening the short-term flow of business.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

https://twitter.com/markbairden/status/1255139175050825728?s=20

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

someone please post the twitter guy who does daily updates with all the nice graphs and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16569567

Cardiac bypass not cancer. Prayer had no effect on recovery unless you knew you were being prayed for in which case patients did worse.

I’m sure some churches did a study where 100% of patients were healed with prayer though so who can say if it helps?

tbh i think that in a meta-analysis of several of these types of studies it's been shown to basically be just random, which isn't any better. there definitely were some bullshit studies by conservative orgs in the late 80's and early 90's that claimed to show that prayer was effective, but they were all later completely discredited. evangelical nutballs still cite them to this day, tho